Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I'm the same way. If I'm close to a level I use items to push myself over, or if I need to upgrade a weapon and realize I just spent all my runes on a level. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I honestly think the Auriza's Hero's Grave is the best one out of all of them, because it's not too bad to go through it and break the chariots, but it makes up for it by having probably the hardest bosses of all the Hero's Graves.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Turns out the problem was I didn't notice the stairs at the end of the eagle part :v: after finding them it was an easy way going and finding the sites of grace until before the boss. I also found the greatshield and explored a bit of the underground part that followed (until I saw what clearly looked like a boss arena full of bloodstains and went :atlus:). The bummer is the shield needs 30 STR and is heavy AF so gotta get some levels first.

On that note, what do you guys usually do with Golden Runes: use them ASAP for levelling or save them in case you find a shop with something you want that may be out of reach?

That boss arena is reasonably easy and rewarding, provided you stay extremely close to avoid its most dangerous attacks, have a decent 100% shield which you keep up as often as possible just in case, remember to guard counter (or just spam lots of powerful, short-ranged magic if you're a caster), and understand that at around 50% health, the boss will start doing a slow but devastating nuke attack that you want to run the gently caress away from if you aren't completely confident in your defences. That area also sets you on the path to mysteeerious spooky secrets.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Darth Walrus posted:

That boss arena is reasonably easy and rewarding, provided you stay extremely close to avoid its most dangerous attacks, have a decent 100% shield which you keep up as often as possible just in case, remember to guard counter (or just spam lots of powerful, short-ranged magic if you're a caster), and understand that at around 50% health, the boss will start doing a slow but devastating nuke attack that you want to run the gently caress away from if you aren't completely confident in your defences. That area also sets you on the path to mysteeerious spooky secrets.

So in other words, wait until I'm a full tin can, got it /s.

Honestly I can see now why this is a GotY candidate for many, I'm having a blast with it, the open world is actually fun unlike most open worlds and I'm not having my DS problem where I'll start but get frustrated and lose interest around the beggining. That said compared to DS people weren't lying when saying enemies and bosses feel like they're doing sick combo strings on your rear end, Magrit was kinda BS looking like he was winded up and then woops dagger out from nowhere.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly I can see now why this is a GotY candidate for many, I'm having a blast with it, the open world is actually fun unlike most open worlds and I'm not having my DS problem where I'll start but get frustrated and lose interest around the beggining. That said compared to DS people weren't lying when saying enemies and bosses feel like they're doing sick combo strings on your rear end, Magrit was kinda BS looking like he was winded up and then woops dagger out from nowhere.

The boss in the Stormveil depths thankfully doesn't have that problem. Its attacks are powerful, erratic and unpredictable but infrequent, and it'll only strike you once or twice at a time. Really, just a 100% shield (like a heater shield) and a decent weapon will do you fine.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

It's funny how small Stormveil seems to me now that I know my way around. When I first did it, it took me forever to find the sites of grace and it felt like it was a huge slog to open up shortcuts or get to the next grace, but once you know what to do it's actually easy. But if you don't know where you're going it's very easy to wander into too many of those big knight enemies who drain your resources (or even kill you) and it can be frustrating.

It has a ton of stuff to do but if your beelining for the boss he is right loving there

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chariots give the tree sentinel body armor which looks badass with bull goat helmet.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

On that note, what do you guys usually do with Golden Runes: use them ASAP for levelling or save them in case you find a shop with something you want that may be out of reach?

Use solid runes to top off a level before doing something stupid, like fighting a boss, testing a new set-up, or engaging a suicidal platforming section. Otherwise they're good for purchasing items you're short of runes for. Just keep holding onto them and eventually you can just use most of the stock to buy 2 levels from scratch if you find you have sooo many.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Lol fuk that. You can cheese that boss by running past it, up a ladder in the next section, back around to the locked room with the whetblade in it, and toss firepots from the balcony. It takes like 30-40 pots though, but lol fuk dat guy, there's like 8 of them in the game. So you'll have to craft pots as you use em and have enough materials.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You can also pop runes occasionally when you find a merchant selling certain ammo types to give yourself enough to not have to think about them for a long time, with purchased arrows usually doing more damage than crafted ones.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Hard runes are for two situations:

I have a lot of runes, and would prefer to have no runes, because death is possible or even likely soon; acquiring a few more runes will make it possible to spend down to zero.

I am busy buying things from a merchant/upgrading things at the hold, and I suddenly have run out of runes before I have run out of smithing stones somehow.

Either use is fine, there isn’t really any wrong way to use hard runes other than using them when you aren’t about to spend them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Welp, managed to defeat Godrick first try via NPC abuse, sorry Nepheli so now the table recognizes me as not-a-scrub :toot: Now I guess it's time to explore and find stuff on my own.

Also managed to farm 3/4 of the banished set... and unless I go full defense instead of rolling it's gonna be a long time before using it, need to get 30 STR for the shield and shittons of END if I wanna not fat roll.

The item I got from Godrick, is it safe to trade to the Finger Maiden for his stuff, or does it have another use?

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
My usage of runes is heavily influenced by past experiences with Demon's Souls mostly and Dark Souls to an extent.

In those games, there were times where I would come against a wall of a boss. The boss might be weak to a certain build or spell/weapon, but if I had been popping and spending all those souls as I earned them, I might already be all-in on a less advantageous build. In this case (especially in Demon's Souls) your only choices were git gud or grind regular enemies for souls to slowly level up the stat you need.

That experience led me to just hoard soul/rune items and only break them in case of an emergency. Now that you can respec and since Elden Ring has no lack of alternate bosses to fight for souls, I think I need to break this habit.

Anyway, looks like Elden Ring Vol 1 got delayed :(
https://twitter.com/FuturePress/status/1551645875214098432

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Ginette Reno posted:

It's funny how small Stormveil seems to me now that I know my way around. When I first did it, it took me forever to find the sites of grace and it felt like it was a huge slog to open up shortcuts or get to the next grace, but once you know what to do it's actually easy. But if you don't know where you're going it's very easy to wander into too many of those big knight enemies who drain your resources (or even kill you) and it can be frustrating.

Every dungeon except Haligtree can be sped through in like 3 minutes when you know exactly what you're doing. Stormveil and Leyndell in particular are hilariously easy when you know the exact route.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I know this is from a page ago now, but raptor of the mists weapon art trivializes the chariots, you can activate it and it will let the chariot harmlessly go through the player without any damage at all.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tolth posted:

Every dungeon except Haligtree can be sped through in like 3 minutes when you know exactly what you're doing. Stormveil and Leyndell in particular are hilariously easy when you know the exact route.

You know that long rampart that has the two knight enemies right next to each other? I wandered into that my first playthrough and died so many times. Nowadays I'm just like oh hey 10 guys with ballistas peace let me go grab this grace real quick and then we'll continue this

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Welp, managed to defeat Godrick first try via NPC abuse, sorry Nepheli so now the table recognizes me as not-a-scrub :toot: Now I guess it's time to explore and find stuff on my own.

Also managed to farm 3/4 of the banished set... and unless I go full defense instead of rolling it's gonna be a long time before using it, need to get 30 STR for the shield and shittons of END if I wanna not fat roll.

The item I got from Godrick, is it safe to trade to the Finger Maiden for his stuff, or does it have another use?

The Remembrances can be safely traded in for one of the two items if you want either item. Alternately, you can go into your inventory and use it, in the same way you would a Golden Rune, for a bunch of runes if neither item appeals to you. You can only get one of the two items normally, so choose wisely. (In the case of Godrick, neither is particularly great, so do whatever.)

Also, an easy thing to miss once you’ve killed Godrick- you can now climb the tower that’s reached by hanging a right out of the main courtyard in stormveil if you go in through the front gate (watch for Ballistae!). At the top, you can “activate” Godrick’s rune, and then, equip it in your inventory. What that does is make those Rune Arc items you’ve found a few of into incredible +5 to all stats buff items which absolutely rule for beating hard bosses.

When you kill other shardbearers, you’ll get other runes that can be activated at other towers for other buffs on the rune arc.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've done it, I am the Elden Lord Consort. Fantastic game.

Played mostly with the Dragonscale Katana once available, an extremely solid weapon, up to Rivers of Blood because my god. Then a little Hand of Malenia because it has good reach and because it was well earned.

Was gutted to die alongside the Elden Beast, but a win's a win.

I'm most grateful for the game teaching me to use the paddles on my xbox E2 controller, after RB stopped working.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

You can eat it for a lot of runes, or trade it in if either item seems interesting to you. There are 15 rememberances in the game and you can duplicate them via any of the 7 walking mausoleums. However mausoleums without bells can't duplicate any shard-bearer remembrances. You can still duplicate any remembrance that you've already used.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
please do not eat the boss remembrances - there have definitely been boss items that I have gone “nah I don’t want any of those” only to later decide that I do indeed want to mess around with the item. Runes are plentiful but cool unique items are not.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

remembrance duplication isn't infinite but you get a lot of them that reset each NG cycle, popping them isn't that big a deal

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Checks out, in the end you can grind runes but you can't grind the items.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wing of Astel is an interesting weapon. Nebula just annihilates big monsters and the heavy attacks are like free mini moonveils. I actually felt pretty overpowered having +9 weapons from doing all the underground areas and finishing Ranni's quest....until I entered Leyndell.

Those Leyndell knights aren't loving around. I died to them so often until I learned to time nebulas as they closed with their shields up.

Now I've got 40 vigor, 30 mind, enough str and dex for darkmoon and moonveil, time to finish the trek to 70 int.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I felt like such a dumdum duping the Radahn Swords only to learn they work like fist weapons and you just have 2 by default

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Anime Liker posted:

I felt like such a dumdum duping the Radahn Swords only to learn they work like fist weapons and you just have 2 by default

Have you considered how cool it looks holding two of them while having another two on your back tho

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Epic High Five posted:

Have you considered how cool it looks holding two of them while having another two on your back tho

I mean that was a cool surprise but the longbow had to wait for NG+

Also in round 1 I chose the Marika hammer over the Beast sword and that's probably the most silly choice anyone could have made.

Always look at the wiki, folks.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Anime Liker posted:

I mean that was a cool surprise but the longbow had to wait for NG+

Also in round 1 I chose the Marika hammer over the Beast sword and that's probably the most silly choice anyone could have made.

Always look at the wiki, folks.

Oh I didn't even think you could get two of the same item even with a duped soul tbh

The hammer is objectively cooler and the sword is a dex weapon, you were merely following your nature

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Epic High Five posted:

Oh I didn't even think you could get two of the same item even with a duped soul tbh

The hammer is objectively cooler and the sword is a dex weapon, you were merely following your nature

You could before patch whatever in the boss-only ones.

It also glitched out the other mausoleum (and the one in Snowfield was glitched out by default)

My first run I ended up with Godrick Axe, Godrick Glove, 2 Radahn swords, and the giant whip and incant, and the Morgott sword and the other thing.

Everything else was broken.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 26, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sindai posted:

Wing of Astel is an interesting weapon. Nebula just annihilates big monsters and the heavy attacks are like free mini moonveils. I actually felt pretty overpowered having +9 weapons from doing all the underground areas and finishing Ranni's quest....until I entered Leyndell.

Those Leyndell knights aren't loving around. I died to them so often until I learned to time nebulas as they closed with their shields up.

Now I've got 40 vigor, 30 mind, enough str and dex for darkmoon and moonveil, time to finish the trek to 70 int.

I just grabbed Wing of Astel today. It's a lot of fun, and really light! Currently powerstancing it with the curved snake sword that heals on kills.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

For real every boss is the Fume Knight from DS2. Long combos, delayed timings, and move cancelling all to juke you.

That's been a real disconnect when facing tougher bosses. DS1 had plenty of aggressive bosses but once you memorize their movesets its all about mechanical timing. Dodging and knowing when it's safe to attack. Like you can no poise, no estus, naked fat-roll through O&S once you've got them down.
https://i.imgur.com/ysBfqE5.gifv

No way I'm doing challenge runs like that in Elden Ring. Forget about memorizing movesets and finding safe windows, best I can do with slower weapons is sneak hits in during their "punish you for rollspamming" delays in combos. If that means trading hits then so be it. Perhaps that's just a difference in style, you aren't meant to get through Elden Ring by neatly dodging and parrying every enemy.

Or at least not with any old weapon. I was stuck in Gelmir's Hero grave so I looked up a guide and this dude was doing 1300 dmg jump attacks. :stare:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Sanctum posted:

Or at least not with any old weapon. I was stuck in Gelmir's Hero grave so I looked up a guide and this dude was doing 1300 dmg jump attacks. :stare:

Jump attack is MVP

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I decided to check out a bit of the rememberance equipment and man, the game really wants you to go with a Faith build, doesn't it?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I decided to check out a bit of the rememberance equipment and man, the game really wants you to go with a Faith build, doesn't it?

Maybe until you realize that the only really decent ones are from the final boss lol

Sanctum posted:

Powerstancing colossals with jump attack gear is basically a cheat code. My current build does 2100ish damage and then procs a bleed almost every time and this is just a fun meme thing

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Don't worry you'll be sick of sorcery loot soon.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Honestly if you keep up with your vigor and upgrade your weapon you don't have to be an elite dodger in Elden Ring. You can trade at least somewhat with a lot of bosses and as long as you don't get hit by every single attack you will prevail.

Sometimes you can get into trouble by trying to be too perfect and not getting enough hits in. Sometimes it's good to trade a hit to get a few in.

e: So..Arcane. This only affects my weapon if it has arcane scaling right? Doesn't increase the rate at which I build bleed on "normal" bleed weapons? They'd have to have occult affinity or a blood weapon art to benefit from it right?

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 26, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you're mostly there. a weapon needs to have (any amount of) arcane scaling in order for it to affect the magnitude of status effect buildup. most weapons that have natural bleed don't have arcane scaling by default, so you need to add it in with occult or bleed. there's a few out there that have arcane scaling by default though. off the top of my head i can think of rivers of blood and eleonora's poleblade, albeit they're both somber weapons and you can't muck around with their affinity in the first place so it's kind of a moot point.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 26, 2022

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ginette Reno posted:

Honestly if you keep up with your vigor and upgrade your weapon you don't have to be an elite dodger in Elden Ring. You can trade at least somewhat with a lot of bosses and as long as you don't get hit by every single attack you will prevail.

Sometimes you can get into trouble by trying to be too perfect and not getting enough hits in. Sometimes it's good to trade a hit to get a few in.

e: So..Arcane. This only affects my weapon if it has arcane scaling right? Doesn't increase the rate at which I build bleed on "normal" bleed weapons? They'd have to have occult affinity or a blood weapon art to benefit from it right?

If the weapon has any scaling on Arcane, arcane will scale its status buildup. So, Somber weapons that have arcane scaling (Rivers of Blood, Reduvia) will scale their bleed with your arcane. Weapons without it (Bloodhound Fang) won’t. For non somber weapons, that means you have to infuse them with Blood or Occult affinity for arcane to increase bleed proc. For the latter to work, the weapon has to have had base bleed already.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Thanks, that's good to know.

Reduvia just shredded Renalla. Just sat a few feet from her in phase 2 slinging blood at her face until she fell over. Dual wielding that with a Miséricorde (Bloody slash wep art) right now and it's pretty good. I'll prolly stick with this for a while until I get Poleblade and Helice. Dual daggers is surprisingly fun and strong.

I can see why people say bleed is strong. Against bosses it works on (which seems to be most, though f u Crucible Knight) it just absolutely shreds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just ate some of the boss souls because the stuff wasn't interesting to me and a couple of free vigor levels without investing effort is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

for a pure dex build there is no reason not to eat remembrances because all of 3 of them have an item you can even equip.