Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

blatman posted:

plant 1 tree for every man who gets a vasectomy

call it the wood for wood program

reported for trying to start wildfires (terrorist!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Microplastics posted:

Are you talking of Nature Abhors A Dome? (I haven't watched it yet so i'm guessing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjWOCdony4

lol I watched that last month

so much time spent staring at the desiccated cyber skeleton

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Microplastics posted:

Are you talking of Nature Abhors A Dome? (I haven't watched it yet so i'm guessing)

i think it is, yeah. thanks!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Paradoxish posted:

New England burns heating oil and natural gas to stay warm, so it's not really a surprise. It's always extremely funny when people rail against AC without mentioning the fact that it's wildly, hilariously more inefficient to keep your home heated to like 65-70 degrees in the winter.

Basically, everyone just needs a heat pump and if you live in an area where that's not good enough to keep you cool or keep you warm then don't live there.

joke's on you, soon New England won't have winters!!

(it's been very surreal watching Vermont go from "so much snow you can safely jump into it from the second story" to "brown christmas")

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

saw this letter to the deseret sun on the google news

...Our Mississippi diversion scheme has a net difference in elevation of 3,700 feet from New Orleans to Lake Powell, or a terminus nearly twice as high as the highest point in the California Aqueduct. This last difference is especially significant because the fall from 1,926 feet to near sea level could, in theory, be used to generate some power to offset the pumping power requirement. That option is not fully available in pumping to 3,700 feet.

The peak elevations required for pumping the water are likely much greater than the net difference of 3,700 feet. If we discount the higher elevations the water has to be pumped to, we still have to provide the power to raise the water to 3,700 feet. Using the power plant at Hoover Dam as a reference, this would require about 12,000 megawatts of pumping power.

The power requirement of the flow would require at least the equivalent capacity of about 5½ times the power output of the new Plant Vogtle nuclear facility in Georgia. Plant Vogtle has been estimated to cost over $28 billion. Thus, our water pumping scheme could incur a cost of $150 billion for the power plants alone.

“Wait you say, what about wind power instead of nuclear? Surely that would be cheaper.” Yes, it would, but there are, of course, challenges. A wind turbine cannot reliably produce power 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. So the installed wind power capacity would be greater than the current capacity from the 150 wind farms in Texas.

As a nation, we have seemingly lost our appetite for large projects. I don’t think this one will overcome that reluctance.

John Homer is a professional engineer working in retirement as a consultant on construction projects. He lives near Indianapolis and can be reached at JohnHomerIN@gmail.com

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

post COVID posted:

if i invent a Thanos button that randomly vaporizes half of all people, how many times do i have to push it to fix climate change? if randomly vaporizing me causes me to stop pushing the button, how likely is this strategy to succeed?

take out the random and just vaporize nazis and libs then you only gotta push button once

ECOFASCISM ECOFASCISM

pissinthewind has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Jul 25, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pissinthewind posted:

take out the random and just vaporize nazis and libs then you only gotta push button once

ECOFASCISM ECOFASCISM

There wouldn't be anyone left to post in D&D

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

saw this letter to the deseret sun on the google news

...Our Mississippi diversion scheme has a net difference in elevation of 3,700 feet from New Orleans to Lake Powell, or a terminus nearly twice as high as the highest point in the California Aqueduct. This last difference is especially significant because the fall from 1,926 feet to near sea level could, in theory, be used to generate some power to offset the pumping power requirement. That option is not fully available in pumping to 3,700 feet.

The peak elevations required for pumping the water are likely much greater than the net difference of 3,700 feet. If we discount the higher elevations the water has to be pumped to, we still have to provide the power to raise the water to 3,700 feet. Using the power plant at Hoover Dam as a reference, this would require about 12,000 megawatts of pumping power.

The power requirement of the flow would require at least the equivalent capacity of about 5½ times the power output of the new Plant Vogtle nuclear facility in Georgia. Plant Vogtle has been estimated to cost over $28 billion. Thus, our water pumping scheme could incur a cost of $150 billion for the power plants alone.

“Wait you say, what about wind power instead of nuclear? Surely that would be cheaper.” Yes, it would, but there are, of course, challenges. A wind turbine cannot reliably produce power 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. So the installed wind power capacity would be greater than the current capacity from the 150 wind farms in Texas.

As a nation, we have seemingly lost our appetite for large projects. I don’t think this one will overcome that reluctance.

John Homer is a professional engineer working in retirement as a consultant on construction projects. He lives near Indianapolis and can be reached at JohnHomerIN@gmail.com

They are totally going to float this and other crazy ideas like it for the sake of growing alfalfa and pistachios.

The only thing wrong I see with this specific proposal is that it is assuming nuclear or wind to power the pumping stations. The actual power generation will be coal and natural gas.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao NPR just referred to the line 5 oil pipeline as the "Line 5 petroleum product delivery infrastructure"

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
actually we're just going to keep proposing increasingly more brazen and harebrained schemes that never get built in the american west and south until entire subdivisions, neighbourhoods, towns, and then cities are either overcrowded (and failing), depopulated, or abandoned

at which point the federal government will finally act and ask you to vote

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Jul 25, 2022

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

TeenageArchipelago posted:

lmao NPR just referred to the line 5 oil pipeline as the "Line 5 petroleum product delivery infrastructure"

The big 3 oil companies all donate to npr so this tracks

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Microplastics posted:

Imo he takes way too long to make his point

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It might have been a useful tool, if it was about 2 hours shorter.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Microplastics posted:

i'm gonna forward this to a few people, thanks!

it's really good, it basically summarizes this thread, so there's no reason for us to post anymore

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Lobe posted:

Imo he takes way too long to make his point

Comatoast posted:

It might have been a useful tool, if it was about 2 hours shorter.

lol neither of you listened far enough to hear him say he knows its too long and he doesn't give a poo poo

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is that supposed to be a counterargument or justification? You can tell me a lovely meal you put in a plate before me is badly made, isn't gonna make eating it worthwhile

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is that supposed to be a counterargument or justification? You can tell me a lovely meal you put in a plate before me is badly made, isn't gonna make eating it worthwhile

it doesn't matter if you listen to it, so you can have your bad opinion in peace namaste

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Stereotype posted:

it doesn't matter if you listen to it, so you can have your bad opinion in peace namaste

I'm sorry I don't like the thing you apparently like

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/ZackBornstein/status/1551662416835911681

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

leave george bush alone

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/19072022/mountain-glaciers-heat-waves/

quote:

The Marmolada Glacier in the Alps of northern Italy, where 11 people died on July 3 when part of the ice collapsed into a massive avalanche, may crumble even more before Europe’s brutally hot summer ends.

Glaciologists are tracking a new crack, about 650 feet long and more than 100 feet wide, that has appeared in a different part of the glacier, intensifying concerns that such unpredictable threats could become more frequent and widespread as global warming intensifies heat waves and deprives the icefields of the snow needed to replenish them. On average, high mountain areas are warming at least twice as fast as the rest of the planet.

In the July 3 collapse, a slice of ice about 250 feet wide and 80 feet high broke off and raced hundreds of feet downhill in an avalanche that crushed hikers on a trail far below the glacier. The sudden disintegration of part of the Marmolada glacier was completely unexpected. Concerns about abrupt glacial destabilization had been growing, however, and were amplified again by hikers in Kyrgyzstan less than a week later when they recorded another massive glacier collapse on July 8 in the Tien Shan Mountains.

Climate and glacier models can predict the long, slow retreat of glaciers over decades, but little is known about how they will behave as they finally disappear, said Giovanni Baccolo, a glacier researcher at the University of Milano-Bicocca and editor of the European Geosciences Union cryosphere blog.

The Marmolada was considered to be a relatively risk-free glacier. “But non-linear failure of small glaciers may become increasingly common in the near future,” Baccolo posted on Twitter. This summer could go down as the worst-ever in the records of alpine glaciers’ decline, he said.

“Before 2022, the summer that has long been cited as the worst for alpine glaciers was 2003,” he said, noting that the frequency of such events appears to be increasing. “So 20 years have passed to have another dramatic year for glaciers. I really hope that the next one will be in 2040 or so but my fear is that because of climate change it will occur sooner.”

There are many ways that warming can introduce instabilities in high-altitude and high-latitude systems, said Richard Alley, a Penn State geoscientist well known for his research on how global warming will affect the frozen parts of the planet.

“I mostly work on a really big one, the possibility that West Antarctica will destabilize and give us an additional 3 meters or so of sea-level rise a lot faster than generally expected,” he said. “But there are shorter-term, more-local impacts. The transition from cold, icy mountains to whatever we will have in the future involves a lot of disturbance, and things often move when they are disturbed.”

In some cases, the glaciers may simply be coming unstuck from their beds, he said.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm sorry I don't like the thing you apparently like

i don't think you're sorry at all actually

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Pocivasek/status/1551633800580546560
:tito:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Microplastics posted:

this video is just a guy saying the same poo poo over and over again worded differently every 2 minutes. I barely got 5 minutes in and shut it off

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I don't know if the narrative has reached this point yet but the drought in the southwest and hoover dam's pools drying up will effortlessly transform into "winter snow pack is here" and everything will be forgotten by the time any of that snow pack melts. This will also be taken as proof that climate change is a lie.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Spergin Morlock posted:

this video is just a guy saying the same poo poo over and over again worded differently every 2 minutes. I barely got 5 minutes in and shut it off

any time spent watching meme docs like dome or bo would be better spent refreshing this thread

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's mostly stuff we all know that's why we're here

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bedpan posted:

I don't know if the narrative has reached this point yet but the drought in the southwest and hoover dam's pools drying up will effortlessly transform into "winter snow pack is here" and everything will be forgotten by the time any of that snow pack melts. This will also be taken as proof that climate change is a lie.

*it rains a bit*

So much for drought :smug:

*it stops raining*

IT'S CALLED SUMMER

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Enfys posted:

i support and encourage your quest on a personal level, but camels are magnificent, amazing, and highly intelligent creatures who absolutely do not deserve to have human attention shift to them any further on a larger scale

they are increasingly exploited and abused for profit and entertainment, and it's all the more monstrous given their intelligence and capacity for social and emotional complexity

they should be seen and treated as if they were giant desert border collies because they are just as capable of learning hundreds of words and doing all kinds of tricks and tasks with incredible dedication and purpose, as well as forming very deep bonds with people

:smith:
:unsmith:

your endorsement is all i need. i will know and love the camel

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Hubbert posted:

actually we're just going to keep proposing increasingly more brazen and harebrained schemes that never get built in the american west and south until entire subdivisions, neighbourhoods, towns, and then cities are either overcrowded (and failing), depopulated, or abandoned

at which point the federal government will finally act and ask you to vote

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
i just learned while watching a food show the other day that camel milk is really sweet and incredibly high in fat making it good for making ice cream.

I will appreciate camels if i encounter them.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

any time spent watching meme docs like dome or bo would be better spent refreshing this thread

you can do both at once

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

silicone thrills posted:

i just learned while watching a food show the other day that camel milk is really sweet and incredibly high in fat making it good for making ice cream.

it seems like cruel irony that camels of all things would make the best frozen desserts

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

that’s not the only sweet thing that comes from a camel

https://twitter.com/middleeasteye/status/1378727855241232392

https://twitter.com/plushurriyet/status/888328288782868480

can’t remember if this guy is a quack but lol:

(searching “camel urine filter:verified” gets you mostly racist bs reporting from the west and anti-Muslims worldwide, but it really happens)

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

open the blood gates!

lol

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

segment sponsored by Koch Industries

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mawarannahr posted:

that’s not the only sweet thing that comes from a camel

https://twitter.com/middleeasteye/status/1378727855241232392

https://twitter.com/plushurriyet/status/888328288782868480

can’t remember if this guy is a quack but lol:

(searching “camel urine filter:verified” gets you mostly racist bs reporting from the west and anti-Muslims worldwide, but it really happens)

lmao what tha gently caress

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

everyone calls me crazy when i refer to npr as an industry captured neoliberal propaganda outlet because these new-speak misdirections just phase through their minds

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
smoking opium would obviously be my first choice out of those three treatments, but i'm not sure if i'd try the camel urine second or just jump straight to the methanol blindness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

they’re solving things in China

"I put the fires out"
"you made them worse!"
"worse, or better?"