Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm off today but can't register till Monday because I'm going out of town:( I would have tried to take it but a 360 mile road trip in an unknown car where I have to be there at a specific time and would hve 1 hour for plates and registration at DMV would have been way to stressful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

know what.. fine gently caress YOU I will buy a miata

You shall ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I posted in here before, but never got around to buying a car. Been looking again since we're starting back up at work again, and need a second car. I already have a peugeot 107, which is fine for commuting, but want something a bit bigger to carry the kids around in. My wife and I are both 6'4, two kids aged 1 and almost 4 and we're really squeezing with the big kid in the back.

I found a 2016 Ford Focus 1,0 SCTi 125 Titanium stc. 5d, but I don't know if there's any pitfalls to be aware of with these. Also been looking at a few other cars, which are a bit more expensive, the toyota avensis, mazda 6, honda civic, and peugeot 308 (last two aren't really available without a 3-4 hour drive each way, which I'd rather not bother with unless I'm really missing out). Most of them are below 100k km and somewhat in the same price range 130k dkk - 180k dkk. I'm expecting to drive 6-8000 km per year, mostly short trips.

New or Used: used
Body Style: wagon
How will you be using the car? Daily driver. 1 hour trips to our parents with the kids. Need a trailer attachment.
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, low cost of ownership/maintenance, decent size
I live in Denmark

Struensee fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 23, 2022

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Škoda Octavia wagon is the default family hauler. Spacious, decent quality and budget friendly.
If you go for Focus of that time period, make sure it is a manual. The dry clutch powershift automatics are garbage. Other than that they are fine.
Avensis and Mazda 6 are both fine. Civic and the 308 are slightly smaller, and I wouldn't buy them for two kids. As is the Focus btw, the Mondeo is the larger model from Fords range.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah man the octavia estate is the standard utility car round here, and what I'd get if I was in the market for that kind of thing. I've rented a load and they work well, comfortable and go up and down mountains well.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Coffee Jones posted:

On the fence regarding trading in my semi-lightly used 2016 WRX for a lightly used 2019 Fiesta ST...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=647006763

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/3FADP4GX1KM111878
two owners... looks like it sat for a while, like my WRX during the lockdown, sucker sat on the lot for a month.

sold sometime this week :negative: snooze ya lose

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah man the octavia estate is the standard utility car round here, and what I'd get if I was in the market for that kind of thing. I've rented a load and they work well, comfortable and go up and down mountains well.

My buddy who's a mechanic said the Tsi engines are crap

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Struensee posted:

My buddy who's a mechanic said the Tsi engines are crap

Crap in what way?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
He says the chain can ruin the engine, and something about another bit of the engine that can ruin the oil pump? I'm not a car guy.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Struensee posted:

He says the chain can ruin the engine, and something about another bit of the engine that can ruin the oil pump? I'm not a car guy.

Most of them don't have timing chains. You can just look at 2013 or later cars if you're concerned (just a possible issue on 1.8 or 2.0 Mk2 cars). Your mate does not sound particularly helpful.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Thank you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or get the Mazda6 just to be safe :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Subaru new 2023 crosstrek’s are listed as less expensive than used crosstreks.

What am I missing?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

A crosstrek in the hand today is worth 1.15 on the dealer allocation list for future delivery.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Yep that’s how I ended up with a brand new impreza instead of used like I had been planning!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

in a well actually posted:

A crosstrek in the hand today is worth 1.15 on the dealer allocation list for future delivery.

Literally this. If you are looking at 1-3 year old used cars, but you can afford to sit on an order allocation instead of driving out now, new is probably significantly cheaper.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

How long do buyers sit on the allocation lists?

We talking closer to a season or closer to a year?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How long do buyers sit on the allocation lists?

We talking closer to a season or closer to a year?

Depends on if your choice in cars is good or not.

You can get nissans all day long here. Not so much things people actually want. The time varies. A lot. I know people waiting 3 months for a toyota and 8+ who knows for more special stuff.

You're not touching a new reasonably priced desirable electric for many months if not a year for example, but presumably you already know that.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 26, 2022

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I've been waiting about a year now for a Toyota Sienna. Partly my fault since I've been picky on color and spec.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Ordered two cars in Feb 2022 from high-volume dealerships:

Rav4 Hybrid Limited - was told 4-6 mo wait
Telluride SX-P - was told 7-9 mo wait

I got the Telluride in 4mos because the dealership called and said, quote, “someone canceled. Can you be here in 15 minutes to pick up the same spec car with a different color? First come, first serve” at 1:30pm on a Wednesday. I took that day off work as vacation. Extremely lucky in a bizarre way.

The Rav4 took 5.5mos to be delivered and was a much more normal buying experience.

Got both at MSRP.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
How is the used car market looking these days?
I ended up buying an ebike instead of a car, but will eventually need to get a car. I'm hoping increased inventory brings prices down a bit by fall.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's still bullshit but am seeing rumbling about pricing and insanity starting to slow a little but still not super good. I think older cars are sitting but like that 1-5 year old is still stupid.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How is the used car market looking these days?
I ended up buying an ebike instead of a car, but will eventually need to get a car. I'm hoping increased inventory brings prices down a bit by fall.

https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1548067979274768392?s=20&t=tcAn6UR-lEd5pIY1GOhAHw

Things are starting to catch up, supposedly there's a 4 million car shortage compared to 2019. I've been trying to estimate this myself but haven't had much luck. My uneducated opinion is that things start to slip around the Fall or Winter. Once it gets cold, car sales tend to slip.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

I'm escaping the Fiesta transmission problems because manual, but everyone complains about the blend door actuator failure - maybe it was addressed in 2019? Maybe not? It's out of warranty anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuENktnNelc&t=25s

THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK

Lol, speaking of Mustangs, our 2010 Mustang does that. It is mildly annoying.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Considering new car for the family. Reliability and cost of ownership are high priority.
Have been driving Toyotas for many years, intend to own and drive this for more than a decade.
I live in the EU.

Kia Ceed SW (1.5T 160hp, 6spd manual)?
Skoda Scala (1.5T 110kW, 6spd manual)?
Toyota Corolla? The snag is they only offer the sedan as non-hybrid and it's more expensive than the others. Otherwise a Corolla wagon would be the favourite.

Do any of them have specific weaknesses? Brittle gearboxes or whatever? Any alternatives I should look at?
Ease of service is not critical, I don't have the space to do it myself. Cost of servicing at the dealership is a factor.

Feedback much appreciated.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What's wrong with the Toyota Corolla hybrid wagon? That is going to be your most long term economical choice and actually meet your needs.

The Scala is pretty new, but it's based on a fairly well-regarded A0 platform that has been around for quite some time now. It is basically an overgrown Fabia with some updates. It should be fairly reliable, although again, long-term reliability is tough to tell on an engine that was born in 2018. The Octavia and Fabia were basically Cheap Family Cars of Choice for a long time so you probably won't go wrong there. I generally trust VAG engineers to nail packaging and give you a lot of space and visibility compared to other brands. It has been reviewed well.

I have driven the ceed a couple of times but don't know much about it. It seemed perfectly competent. Based on brand positioning, you'll probably get more features for your money. I would be slightly more worried about being able to service the ceed. Assuming you are in Europe, everyone and their mom can work on VAG product, but Kias and Hyundais are less common (although becoming more so, so this may not be an actual problem).

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Went for a test drive in a 2015 skoda octavia wagon. While it is the only mid sized car (?) that seems to have enough space for the kids with my wife and I in the front seats, I wavered at the cost of a used model. I can save almost 2/5ths of the price getting a hatchback, which is looking mighty tempting. All I'd need to get is a trailer hitch, which comes out to a lot less than the extra cost of the wagon I'd been looking at.

Struensee fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 28, 2022

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Thanks for the insight! Answering in two parts:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What's wrong with the Toyota Corolla hybrid wagon? That is going to be your most long term economical choice and actually meet your needs.
I love the way they look, I know Toyota makes a quality product and I know that they've been lauded in reviews. However, there are about 9000 things wrong with it:

1.) The hybrid is about 9000 euros more expensive than the others, i.e. it could be ~8-12 years before it pays for itself via fuel efficiency, disregarding the potential gains from investing that money elsewhere. Minor note, rubber floor mats cost literally 2x more than in the other two cars.
2.) Have to get it serviced at the dealership to get the 10 year warranty, that will further diminish savings from fuel efficiency.
3.) It's slow as poo poo. Toyota somehow managed to get just 72kw out of a 1.8 litre engine and have the gall to call it "Sports Active". Granted, there is also a 53kW electric motor, but 53+72=90 in Toyota maths so 0-100km/h is 11.1 seconds. I know the emissions are great, it still sucks.
For reference, the Ceed SW is a bit of a fatass at 1400kg, but manages 0-100 in 8.6s.
The Scala is positively spritely at ~1200kg and 8.2s, might even go around a corner or two?
4.) e-CVT. I would prefer a manual. I've driven a C-HR with the system, I know it's smooth, but there's not enough levers to pull.
5.) Toyota said they would "bring cars back" or something along those lines. They've earned a lot of respect from me for my previous cars. This one looks the part, but underneath seems to be an appliance and I do resent them for that a little bit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Scala is pretty new, but it's based on a fairly well-regarded A0 platform that has been around for quite some time now. It is basically an overgrown Fabia with some updates. It should be fairly reliable, although again, long-term reliability is tough to tell on an engine that was born in 2018. The Octavia and Fabia were basically Cheap Family Cars of Choice for a long time so you probably won't go wrong there. I generally trust VAG engineers to nail packaging and give you a lot of space and visibility compared to other brands. It has been reviewed well.

I have driven the ceed a couple of times but don't know much about it. It seemed perfectly competent. Based on brand positioning, you'll probably get more features for your money. I would be slightly more worried about being able to service the ceed. Assuming you are in Europe, everyone and their mom can work on VAG product, but Kias and Hyundais are less common (although becoming more so, so this may not be an actual problem).
Cheers, lots of useful info. One of my friends had a KIA for a long time and to my knowledge did not have a problem servicing it. There was a significant difference in dealership quotes vs independent workshop quotes for servicing, but that applies to Toyota also.
How well does Skoda bodywork generally hold up on salted roads? Is it true that VAGs generally need the suspension looked at more often than japanese cars, even though it's also cheaper?
Based on the cars I've listed, any other recommendations? I could live with it being slow, if it is competitively priced, reliable and has at least as much boot as the Scala. (I briefly looked at the Proace City Verso until I found out it's a PSA product. A friend went through 3 gearboxes in 5 years on his brand new PSA, I'd rather not)

Duuk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 28, 2022

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Duuk posted:

Considering new car for the family. Reliability and cost of ownership are high priority.
Have been driving Toyotas for many years, intend to own and drive this for more than a decade.
I live in the EU.

Kia Ceed SW (1.5T 160hp, 6spd manual)?
Skoda Scala (1.5T 110kW, 6spd manual)?
Toyota Corolla? The snag is they only offer the sedan as non-hybrid and it's more expensive than the others. Otherwise a Corolla wagon would be the favourite.

Do any of them have specific weaknesses? Brittle gearboxes or whatever? Any alternatives I should look at?
Ease of service is not critical, I don't have the space to do it myself. Cost of servicing at the dealership is a factor.

Feedback much appreciated.

Dacia Jogger. Cheapest 7-seater by a long shot. Or, very spacious 5 seater. Might be more expensive to maintain than a Corolla, but you already save a lot of money on the purchase price. Manual only available for now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i mean if you actually care about things other than reliability and cost of ownership you should probably state those things, just sayin. Toyota hybrid synergy drive vehicles are bar none the most reliable, lowest operating cost vehicles that are not EVs. You may pay an up front premium (and that is a steep one) but I figure that over a decade+ lifetime of ownership you will likely make it up. But if the other things are a deal breaker then you've got your answer.

Dunno about the rust problems or the suspension rumors. Where I grew up all cars die to rust, but Mazdas and some other Japanese brands were considered particularly vulnerable.

Other options: the Focus is well regarded and may be a good value option. There's also the Megane and the Tipo (lol) if you want to get wild. Note that I'm not recommending either. Depending on the market there may be a cheap SEAT available; the Leon is basically a Golf.

Cars, in general, are very reliable and the ways that they are unreliable tend to be less predictable than before. I still probably wouldn't buy the Tipo, though, even if it does drive pretty well and is cheap.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i mean if you actually care about things other than reliability and cost of ownership you should probably state those things, just sayin. Toyota hybrid synergy drive vehicles are bar none the most reliable, lowest operating cost vehicles that are not EVs. You may pay an up front premium (and that is a steep one) but I figure that over a decade+ lifetime of ownership you will likely make it up. But if the other things are a deal breaker then you've got your answer.

Dunno about the rust problems or the suspension rumors. Where I grew up all cars die to rust, but Mazdas and some other Japanese brands were considered particularly vulnerable.

Other options: the Focus is well regarded and may be a good value option. There's also the Megane and the Tipo (lol) if you want to get wild. Note that I'm not recommending either. Depending on the market there may be a cheap SEAT available; the Leon is basically a Golf.

Cars, in general, are very reliable and the ways that they are unreliable tend to be less predictable than before. I still probably wouldn't buy the Tipo, though, even if it does drive pretty well and is cheap.
I didn't mean to jump on you, sorry if it came out that way.
The Toyota thing is a bit of an internal conflict for me, hence the long rant. Reliability is top priority, I just can't afford to buy the drat thing. If they sold the wagon with the 1.5 litre NA + manual (~6k cheaper and even slower) I would probably bite my cheek and pay for it. If the hybrid were cheaper, I would buy it and maybe get a lovely old Miata some day that I could thrash and love.

For the present, the 1.5T Ceed and Scala are both hopefully lively enough to do without the Miata, and I imagine the difference in reliability with the 1.0 vs 1.5 engine should be in favour of the less stressed one.
The Jogger is a good shout in terms of practicality, although with any potential reliability issues (?), the pain in the rear end of dealing with them would be more significant than the cheapness of the repairs. Sloth I think I could endure.
The local Ford dealer doesn't have a price list up, apparently going through a model update. I'll keep an eye on it.
The Leon is another good shout, a couple grand pricier than the Scala with the same engine, but I'll get a quote to be sure. The extra space could be handy, though not necessarily critical.
I will not touch Stellantis or Renault.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Edit: The Corolla Sedan lists a larger boot space than the Scala. Obviously can't load it up to the roof, but I should probably give the 1.5NA a test drive/serious look/ask for a quote at least before I rule it out. I wouldn't consider any other sedan though.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 28, 2022

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I know this is the buying thread, but what should I do to get my 2013 Impreza ready to sell? I'm thinking I'll pay to have it detailed but should I also pay to get the paint chips touched up?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In this market? I'd just pay for a wash that includes someone actually going over the whole interior as well and call it good. Unless the paint chips are showing rust I'd leave them for the next owner to sort out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get $20 of touch up paint online and touch them up well enough that they won’t be obvious in a cell phone photo. Then sell your car to Driveway.com.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

Get $20 of touch up paint online and touch them up well enough that they won’t be obvious in a cell phone photo. Then sell your car to Driveway.com.

yep

just make sure it's a 10 footer and you're good to go

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Duuk posted:

I didn't mean to jump on you, sorry if it came out that way.
The Toyota thing is a bit of an internal conflict for me, hence the long rant. Reliability is top priority, I just can't afford to buy the drat thing. If they sold the wagon with the 1.5 litre NA + manual (~6k cheaper and even slower) I would probably bite my cheek and pay for it. If the hybrid were cheaper, I would buy it and maybe get a lovely old Miata some day that I could thrash and love.

For the present, the 1.5T Ceed and Scala are both hopefully lively enough to do without the Miata, and I imagine the difference in reliability with the 1.0 vs 1.5 engine should be in favour of the less stressed one.
The Jogger is a good shout in terms of practicality, although with any potential reliability issues (?), the pain in the rear end of dealing with them would be more significant than the cheapness of the repairs. Sloth I think I could endure.
The local Ford dealer doesn't have a price list up, apparently going through a model update. I'll keep an eye on it.
The Leon is another good shout, a couple grand pricier than the Scala with the same engine, but I'll get a quote to be sure. The extra space could be handy, though not necessarily critical.
I will not touch Stellantis or Renault.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Edit: The Corolla Sedan lists a larger boot space than the Scala. Obviously can't load it up to the roof, but I should probably give the 1.5NA a test drive/serious look/ask for a quote at least before I rule it out. I wouldn't consider any other sedan though.

It did not come out that way, no worries. People just give better advice if you have more criteria including "row your own gears" "not slow" and you share those criteria. I didn't realize the Focus was getting an update as we don't get it here in the US anymore. I would not recommend Year 1 Ford product to anyone. You're probably smart on Stellantis and Renault. The Jogger is a Renault, for what it's worth.

I have found that even if the sort of liquid cube space is bigger in a sedan, its usability is almost always compromised by the opening and often the hinges. Even if the space is bigger than the Scala, the Scala's space will most likely be a lot more usable and so functionally, it'll be bigger. If you're willing to make that tradeoff, no reason to not drive the Corolla. It will be slow compared to both the Ceed and Scala. Either car will probably be just fine.

The answer is always Miata, though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Indeed Miata is A good answer

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

https://twitter.com/JosephPolitano/status/1548067979274768392?s=20&t=tcAn6UR-lEd5pIY1GOhAHw

Things are starting to catch up, supposedly there's a 4 million car shortage compared to 2019. I've been trying to estimate this myself but haven't had much luck. My uneducated opinion is that things start to slip around the Fall or Winter. Once it gets cold, car sales tend to slip.

I was thinking something similar though I'm dealing with quite a bit of motivated reasoning. My 17 year old Camry's evaporator leaks like a sieve and since it's buried behind the engine the cost in labor alone would be like a third the bluebook of the car. I'll survive one summer without AC but really want to avoid doing it again in 2023.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Production might be getting better but for some brands it’s coming at the cost of feature omissions on certain trims. Maybe all brands at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Ok Car Buying Thread, give me a little sanity check as I haven't purchased a new car for 18 years.

I contacted the nearest toyota dealership about buying a corolla hybrid. I was upfront and let them know that I knew there was a shortage and waiting a few months for a hybrid was fine by me but that I would like to stop by and check out a gas model that they had so I could compare general driving characteristics and interior. I don't want a new car, but my Fit is a manual that is starting to bother my knee in stop and go and it needs a bunch of little things (and a clutch) at 200k. I test drove a '21 corolla and a new camry just to compare. I felt like the Corolla matched my needs better (commuter car, no kids, 24 miles one way, 70% interstate with stop and go traffic on some of the drive home).
After test driving and comparing them, I sat down with the sales person. I said I would like to order a corolla hybrid with cloth interior and the bsm package. I asked him what he thought the wait would be, and he said he had no idea. He then told me that the dealership usually gets 4-5 hybrids a month, and they're on a first come first serve basis. There is no list, there is no ordering, there is no deposit to hold the car. They call a few people and whoever can show up first can buy whatever color and options package (the hybrid doesn't have a lot) they get.

I'm going to call the dealership south of me tomorrow, but this really isn't how most places are doing things...right? Like, how does this even work.