Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just received my wheel stand the other day. It's a bit heavy and clunky to move around, though. Has anyone tried replacing the feet on their stand with locking caster wheels?

I'm wondering if they'd have enough friction to actually stay in place as I work the pedals :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I just received my wheel stand the other day. It's a bit heavy and clunky to move around, though. Has anyone tried replacing the feet on their stand with locking caster wheels?

I'm wondering if they'd have enough friction to actually stay in place as I work the pedals :thunk:

I think most of us use the Apex stand from them. The screw in legs aren't something you could easily install office casters on but you could probably do it with big industrial casters and some u bolts or something.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Nah man, it's pretty easy to find:

https://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Industrial-Replacement-Furniture-Workbench/dp/B083R1DSFQ/
https://www.gobilda.com/swivel-caster-wheel-m8-x-1-25mm-male-stud/

Anything with an M8×1.25 stem will work with the Apex Omega, and I presume the Classic too. Just make sure it'll bear the weight.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 20, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, I emailed their customer support and got a reply 13 minutes later saying they're M8 screws.

Everything at Home Depot is in Inches though, closest I could find was some wheels with 7.9xx mm screws. So I guess I'll suck it up and order off Amazon.

Edit: I was also debating getting an adjustable dolly like this off Amazon as well, but again I wonder how well the brakes on those will actually hold up...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 20, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hell yea, Project Cars 2 is 87% off on GMG right now too :toot:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
More like, YOU'RE 87% off on GMG right now, NERD.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
project lars and it's about being mad as hell about napster

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is a strange question. Anyone with Fanatec CSL load cell pedals have an extra of the spring stack pivot plate? It’s basically a round retainer for the spring stack, with a pair of nubbins that fit into the pedal base.

That part.

Or even a file to 3D print one? Fanatec support basically told me to get bent, and my pedals are kaput without a new one.

:(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MrYenko posted:

This is a strange question. Anyone with Fanatec CSL load cell pedals have an extra of the spring stack pivot plate? It’s basically a round retainer for the spring stack, with a pair of nubbins that fit into the pedal base.

That part.

Or even a file to 3D print one? Fanatec support basically told me to get bent, and my pedals are kaput without a new one.

:(

I really don't think a 3d printed part can withstand the force you'd put through it. That sucks so much though, I can't believe they won't let you buy that?

I dunno where you live (consumer protection laws) but if you were just using it normally and it broke, and they're refusing to even allow you to buy a replacement part, I would order another LC kit, use the piece from that, and then return it with the broken piece a week or two later within the return window saying (accurately) that the piece broke during normal use and is faulty. If you had it mounted backwards or something and it broke I guess I don't know if that's ethical anymore.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pretty sure you cant buy that pedal anymore.

eBay might be your only hope here

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pretty sure you cant buy that pedal anymore.

eBay might be your only hope here

Wow you're right and holy poo poo the new LC pedals look like logitech stamped steel budget stuff. Gross. Are they trying to drive people to the more expensive pedal sets?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Fanatec is trash these days and I won't buy anything from them again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VelociBacon posted:

I really don't think a 3d printed part can withstand the force you'd put through it. That sucks so much though, I can't believe they won't let you buy that?

I dunno where you live (consumer protection laws) but if you were just using it normally and it broke, and they're refusing to even allow you to buy a replacement part, I would order another LC kit, use the piece from that, and then return it with the broken piece a week or two later within the return window saying (accurately) that the piece broke during normal use and is faulty. If you had it mounted backwards or something and it broke I guess I don't know if that's ethical anymore.

I actually shot the godamned thing across my office while reassembling the pedals (I changed the mounting to my rig) and it loving disappeared. I’ve torn the room apart twice looking for it to no avail.

I was actually gonna have it “3D printed” in aluminum in a CNC machine if anyone has the file, but I realize it’s a long shot. Just don’t wanna have to spend the money to upgrade to the V3 pedals because I’m a butterfingered dumbass. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can someone 3D scan one with a phone that has lidar and get the file to you?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 22, 2022

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I don't have a phone with a scanner but I have CSL elite pedals with that doohickey and a set of calipers and fusion 360, I can see what I can do tomorrow evening

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I don't have a phone with a scanner but I have CSL elite pedals with that doohickey and a set of calipers and fusion 360, I can see what I can do tomorrow evening

Honestly even if you don’t feel like marking it up in fusion, just a paint sketch with dimensions would work. It’s a pretty simple part.

:cheers:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Honestly even if you don’t feel like marking it up in fusion, just a paint sketch with dimensions would work. It’s a pretty simple part.

If he isn't able to do it I can throw something together, in the spa 24hr right now but after, later tonight.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

MrYenko posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5440627

I was pretty surprised to see the units were pretty obviously inch, with fanatec using mostly metric, but that should get you a functional piece. It's a 2-piece unit, so you can invert which way you put it, i guess to slightly adjust pedal position

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5440627

I was pretty surprised to see the units were pretty obviously inch, with fanatec using mostly metric, but that should get you a functional piece. It's a 2-piece unit, so you can invert which way you put it, i guess to slightly adjust pedal position

:captainpop:

You are a gentleman and a scholar, my friend. That’s fuckin fantastic.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
No worries, I threw it together during the sleepy middle part of the Grand Prix today, so I didn't really miss anything too important

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Edit: I was also debating getting an adjustable dolly like this off Amazon as well, but again I wonder how well the brakes on those will actually hold up...

poo poo the brakes definitely aren't strong enough :v: Even just casually pressing the pedals without playing and it moves around. Guess I'll just have to use the dolly to move it from the closet to the living room and simply take it off the dolly for actual playing. Oh well.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

No worries, I threw it together during the sleepy middle part of the Grand Prix today, so I didn't really miss anything too important

I thought maybe you had checo do it towards the end of the VSC

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I lucked into half a setup (our mechanic was upgrading his rig and gave us a csl elite wheelbase and elite pedals with load cells), so bought a steering wheel and shifter and fell down the rabbit hole of iracing this weekend.

I’ve probably caused over a hundred thousand dollars worth of damage to various miatas and put some serious weight into the walls at laguna seca but I’m beginning to get to the point where I can say “ah yes, I’m about to go into the wall and it’s because i took too much curb / hosed up my shifting / tried to turn too hard while braking / was thinking about the previous corner and missed the braking point for the next corner”, which feels like an important step on the road to not doing any of those things.

The best lap I’ve been able to put down was like a 1:43 and change at laguna seca? Which I think is still pretty far off the pace for the mx5 cup car but felt good while I was doing it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Okay dumb question, I've never used a wheel before but I finally just got my first race in in Project Cars 2. But a lot of the time the wheel felt very "notchy" as I was turning it? If I'd stray to the edge of a track I'd get some force feedback from the painted rumblestrips, but this feeling would happen even while just steering on the actual tarmac.

I can't imagine it's supposed to be like that? Any ideas?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What wheel do you have?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's a second hand G27

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll let someone who owns a G27 chime in with real info, but that's a gear drive wheel and they are by nature notchy as compared to belt drive and direct drive

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'll let someone who owns a G27 chime in with real info, but that's a gear drive wheel and they are by nature notchy as compared to belt drive and direct drive

yeah thats about right

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I got one as well, pretty much what it is.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It feels plenty smooth if I just turn the wheel while it's unpowered/plugged, but in game it felt very different. I'll have to play around more later and see if I can figure out a pattern to it :thunk:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Set the soft angle limit and try to turn past it. That will tell the motor to put out maximum torque in a single direction without anything else interfering.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Gonna ask a basic question because this burned me when I got my first wheel. Do you have the Logitech drivers installed properly? When I first bought my G29 I just plugged it all in and started driving and it felt pretty bad/meh/sluggish and probably "notchy" like you're mentioning. Once I realized I had to install G-Hub and the drivers properly, it was like night and day.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I did just grab drivers before hand, yea.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sab669 posted:

It feels plenty smooth if I just turn the wheel while it's unpowered/plugged, but in game it felt very different. I'll have to play around more later and see if I can figure out a pattern to it :thunk:

Yep that’s because in the game it’s actively resisting you to add weight to the steering and to push back ever so slightly even just moving around in your lane.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If it's real bad you may have FF turned up too high ingame

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Coca Koala posted:

I lucked into half a setup (our mechanic was upgrading his rig and gave us a csl elite wheelbase and elite pedals with load cells), so bought a steering wheel and shifter and fell down the rabbit hole of iracing this weekend.

I’ve probably caused over a hundred thousand dollars worth of damage to various miatas and put some serious weight into the walls at laguna seca but I’m beginning to get to the point where I can say “ah yes, I’m about to go into the wall and it’s because i took too much curb / hosed up my shifting / tried to turn too hard while braking / was thinking about the previous corner and missed the braking point for the next corner”, which feels like an important step on the road to not doing any of those things.

The best lap I’ve been able to put down was like a 1:43 and change at laguna seca? Which I think is still pretty far off the pace for the mx5 cup car but felt good while I was doing it.

Laguna Seca is one of my favorite tracks. It just rules.

It’s also a loving monster to lay down clean laps on, especially as an amateur.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That corkscrew will gently caress you up Always

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

That corkscrew will gently caress you up Always

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sometimes the kink fucks you up and you have no speed going into the corkscrew and it's quite pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Sometimes the kink fucks you up and you have no speed going into the corkscrew and it's quite pleasant.

Games › PC Sim Racing - Sometimes the kink fucks you up and it's quite pleasant