Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

when a new mmo comes out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-gD9PYqSps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the only good mmo is one that's seasonal with a long-term dumping grounds server for everyone's characters after a season ends so that you can constantly relive launch week

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im about to ding 70 on ffxiv scholar and here's the trick. avoid the orange, and when you can't, wait for the instarez from the white mage and apologize real quick. also have swiftcast rez next to each other on your hotbar.

i'm having a wonderful time. its the deepest and widest mmo i've ever played

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

sao opening intensifies in the distance

Looking forward to the first Nerve Gear based mmo immediately being hacked so gamer brains are forced to mine monkey jpgs by completing captcha all day

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

sao opening intensifies in the distance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVn1ypgFvAc
surely
:v:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the DAOC freeshard drama never stops. not one but two teams have announced within a week of each other they're coming back with seasonal servers. This is the one thing we didn't want to happen. The better team announced first, but the other one ran a very very popular server that lasted over two years - mostly because the pandemic caused a huge population bump - so now there's a Discord war going on over where people should go. very annoying because these servers need a critical mass of players or they inevitably fail.

I really wish all these admins would work together instead of constantly competing.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
It will go in Edens favor, I believe. Phoenix isn't planning on launching first and doesn't have the support for small man content that helps things move during low times. It was weird how they all operated in cycles on almost a handshake agreement.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So been playing nevergrind online, a mud based mmo that is using the same assets as eq1, wow, and some other things.

The solo developer apparently had some big issues with vax's at some point and took a qanon point of someone who took a vax is missing / dead. NBC did a piece on it, game review mags will not cover this game, and the guy scrubbed his blog / twitter / youtube of the stuff.

I don't know if that shows that he is no longer a qanon person, probably not, but he doesn't allow pepe on his discord.

Game is fun otherwise for a lovely week end game, just too expensive at 20 bucks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The World never killed anyone so no

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
How's it hanging, oji-sans?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSqCad6ml9A

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

This trailer is kind of bad but I'm pretty intrigued

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gj6Ig2eiQQ

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

The World never killed anyone so no

maybe, but the lyrics fit

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Cutedge posted:

Just have to pay $50 for the honor of participating in the beta test...

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

CuddleCryptid posted:

If most economy focused mmos I've seen so far have proven anything it's that people are generally okay with growing potatoes for their primary task until someone named BongLord69 figures out that you can insta-grow potatoes by bugging out the silver star fertilizer and uses it to crash the economy in a week, at the end of which the devs realize they can't roll back the servers so now potatoes are basically worthless and any potato based dish is now entirely priced based on the availability of carrots which skyrocket to such absurd costs that new players are functionally locked out of crafting.

EvE players had spreadsheets so down they knew when it was profitable to buy ships, get insurance, blow them up and get cash flow. There was also profit points where a few NPC and Starter ships could be junked for building blocks.

You need someone who understands this crazy level of complexity to build a system this complex but also usable by mortals. Otherwise your gonna end up with WoW crafting and someone discovers the ore shuffle by mistake.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

Is it bad that I'm tempted? I mean, I have a bunch of 40k stuff so clearly I have no problems throwing my money down the toilet

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 25, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Truga posted:

maybe, but the lyrics fit

siiiigh OKAY I guess yeah

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

What’s up with BDO? I mostly only know it as the MMO with the crazy character customization thing, but I’ve heard it’s also pretty sandboxy in a way most MMOs aren’t now but also maybe P2W and always-on PvP. Maybe I should just pick it up for cheap and see what’s what. Apparently it’s also kinda grindy but I’m mostly fine with that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The first parts of the game are ok to alright.

Character customization is good. Class customization, less so.

The game is about grinding to infinity with a exponential exp curve so you can get to like 1 level beyond the cap with no problem and have to grind your life away from the next 3 levels.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GoGoGadget posted:

In their defense that ship sailed a decade ago, buying your way into the beta at full price is basically standard practice now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Third World Reagan posted:

The first parts of the game are ok to alright.

Character customization is good. Class customization, less so.

The game is about grinding to infinity with a exponential exp curve so you can get to like 1 level beyond the cap with no problem and have to grind your life away from the next 3 levels.

Is getting those levels the point? Or is it more of a novelty that happens to occur while you do other stuff?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There are things to do on the way, but not much.

When it launched, everyone stopped at the first city and tried the side games. They were not deep then but everyone wanted to do that more than grinding in the game.

No idea how the game has changed over the years, but grinding was the point of the game.

It used to have weird code in it, not sure if it still does, regarding drops. You would want to say get duplicates of an item to merge and get it to +1, then do again and merge two +1s together or something like that.

Well drop rates were high for the first kill after an hour off line. So people would log in, kill the boss that has the item, then log out.

You could fail upgrading gear as well so it could downgrade.

The point of the game when it launched was just grinding.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The point of the game is very much still grinding although it's more about equipment than levels. It's standard Koreagame mechanics where equipment needs to be upgraded through several levels by spending a fuel item and rolling the dice, with a chance of failure that does things from reducing max durability at lower levels to downgrading the item at higher levels to destroying it entirely with jewelry equipment. In practice the equipment game is mostly about getting a shitload of silver because funding upgrades is expensive and it's not always even the most efficient way to get equipment, a lot of the time the most efficient thing to do is to just buy better equipment someone else upgraded, unless you're at the tippy top of the game

It's much easier to advance than it used to be, with a season system that will bring a new character in fairly deep into the game with fairly minimal effort when you convert a completed season character to a regular character after finishing the season. But ultimately it's about grinding literally thousands of enemies per hour with semi fighting game mechanics for the combat. There's not really any other mmo with this combat but it does require memorizing combos like a fighting game, which you may or may not enjoy.

If you've played dungeon fighter online it's literally that but 3d open world

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 26, 2022

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Cutedge posted:

Is there a greater than 60 second version that actually explains something about the game?

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I see the word "Adrift" and it makes me think of Worlds Adrift and now I'm sad

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
"Did this game used to be called something else?
Yes, Embers Adrift is a new product that Stormhaven Studios transitioned to in order to allow us to utilize better game design principles and have the agility to adapt to an ever changing market. One of our main goals with Embers Adrift is to be attentive to our Community and their feedback, in this way we can expand the product and the growth of the game according to the desires of our players."

sounds legit

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

:raise: : "But that did not answer my que-"

:awesomelon: : "Metrics! Geofencing! PROACTIVITY!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Anno posted:

What’s up with BDO? I mostly only know it as the MMO with the crazy character customization thing, but I’ve heard it’s also pretty sandboxy in a way most MMOs aren’t now but also maybe P2W and always-on PvP. Maybe I should just pick it up for cheap and see what’s what. Apparently it’s also kinda grindy but I’m mostly fine with that.

combat in BDO is very very good, to the point that just grinding enemies for a few hours on a random field is a pretty fun and chill experience

i think the siege pvp is decent, but it requires too much grind for me to bother since you need different gear to really participate. likewise, there's some side things to do like gather/craft/sailing that's not terrible, but gets insanely grindy quick

unfortunately, despite the good combat, pve content is very lacking. you must do some hardcore grind on your own for like a month before you're even let into areas where you can play with friends, since the main progression is upgrading your gear, which is an insanely expensive and thus grindy prospect. that alone wouldn't be so bad if you could trade with people, but in BDO you can't trade. all transactions go through the market thing, you can't trade money/gear directly at all, so you must do the grind solo

in short, outside pvp it's really a solo game where sometimes you have to gank people to be able to farm efficiently. the ganking part is p. fun though, kinda reminds of lineage 2 lol

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Pigbottom posted:

"Did this game used to be called something else?
Yes, Embers Adrift is a new product that Stormhaven Studios transitioned to in order to allow us to utilize better game design principles and have the agility to adapt to an ever changing market. One of our main goals with Embers Adrift is to be attentive to our Community and their feedback, in this way we can expand the product and the growth of the game according to the desires of our players."

sounds legit

I was really confused by that, I think it used to be called uh Saga of Lucimia?

https://massivelyop.com/2021/03/11/saga-of-lucimias-founder-hasnt-been-involved-in-the-games-development-since-last-fall/

No idea what changed in terms of what they are doing besides oh god we have to release something.

Sachant posted:

Is there a greater than 60 second version that actually explains something about the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u67TnO5IEJE

Game is ugly as sin. Dunno if that's this guy's computer or not (likely not). Reminds me a lot of EQ2. Oof.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"it's all about the loot" ew ew ew ew (I know it's just the channel branding)

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Cutedge posted:

Game is ugly as sin. Dunno if that's this guy's computer or not (likely not). Reminds me a lot of EQ2. Oof.

Looks fine to me, but my bar for graphics is "equal to or better than classic EQ".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I miss the original OG Everquest UI.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

I said come in! posted:

I miss the original OG Everquest UI.

The small box UI was in game mostly because people were playing with 4mb video cards. We're talking real cutting edge stuff here :) I think it was something silly like 240x360. The full screen UI was in game as soon as the bata came out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah but that original big box UI was still awesome. :hellyeah:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A lot of us didn't know you could switch UIs for awhile.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

A lot of us didn't know you could switch UIs for awhile.

Yeah! I thought the current UI was added like 4 expansions in. I never knew there were alternative UIs for people with more powerful computers.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i thought the first non-boxy ui came out in velious because everyone called it the velious ui

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I think the boxed in UI was made non-default around the time that staring at the book to med was removed.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kinda have an itch to get into an MMO again, but I'm wondering if there's anything that really checks the boxes I'm after. So far I've tried out Guild Wars 2 and FFXIV - the former had better PvP and combat, but felt really disjointed and not really immersive because it just felt like every single thing you do is just ticking boxes off a checklist while simultaneously being mostly useless filler.

FFXIV I really wanted to like because I've heard so much about the late-game story, the community is cool, and everything from the music to the art design clicked with me, but ultimately the enormous grind through really mediocre early / mid-game storylines and the fact that it really just ends up feeling like a bloated single player game 90% of the time didn't work for me - I like actually feeling like I'm playing with other people and everything that isn't endgame content just feels very empty aside from roulettes, which are just people I've never met and will never see again and who mostly don't communicate at all.

I guess my ideal game would be:

- On PS4 (my laptop probably can't run anything recent unless it has pretty generous minimum requirements)

- Not super grindy (obviously grind is inherent with any MMO but I don't like feeling like I *have* to log in and do a bunch of tedious stuff every single day or I fall behind the power curve / can't ever do any endgame stuff)

- Have some fun customization options (especially in terms of cool races / classes - the "one character can do everything" aspect of FFXIV didn't really appeal to me because I like being able to have an alt or two that looks / feels radically different

- Have decent PvP (not my priority by any means, but fun, small-scale PvP is always a treat. Not a huge fan of the giant zerg-style PvP modes where you never feel like you're having any kind of measurable impact on anything)

- Fun combat (GW2 was nice in terms of feeling very adaptive / flexible based on the situation, having to actually make choices about your skillbar and build, and having a good mix of fast and slow cooldowns, whereas FFXIV's approach felt clunky on console and I just got bored of the cooldown system and the way that you pretty much just have one "optimal" rotation that you just keep repeating in 99% of situations)

Is there anything that fits the bill? Just want something fun with a decent community that I can burn a little time in here and there and still feel like I'm making progress.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I guess my ideal game would be:

- On PS4 (my laptop probably can't run anything recent unless it has pretty generous minimum requirements)

Oooooooffffffff. Is there even anything other than ff14 on consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tera, STO, Neverwinter, Skyforge, DCUO, ESO, PSO2 (on PS4 in August for the west) and BDO are all on PS4/bone