Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

. The tram that leads into the next scene is 'set up' with one context free shot of its windows exploding in on its passengers. It then vanishes for two minutes until Gosling needs it to escape. The less said about the subsequent chase the better but holy poo poo some of that CGI.
There are shots in the tram sequence that reminded me of the final chase in Torque. And anything reminiscent of the final chase in Torque is never good. "How do we give a feeling of speed in this shot?" "Skip-frame it to make everything move twice as fast." "Uh, won't that make the action strobe and the physics look cartoony and ridiculous?" "Meh."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HOSPITALIZATION TOTALS

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

well there's no action movies in theaters rn

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
got mildly confused if D.Gray-man had a western live-action adaptation but, lol

John Wick
2 John 2 Wick
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Tokyo Drift Parabellum
John Wick (4)
Wick Five

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
“You would kill a girl?”

“Do not pay this man”

“These people lack honor. I just had to test if you were worthy first”

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I never really got into John Wick and i just really cant express what doesnt click...i saw the first one, liked it okay, think i watched one other sequel, but for some reason they all pass thru me leaving no memory. Compared to say, Collateral, which I cherish and remember well.
I know it's a premier action franchise tho and I do sometimes look up some of the sequel fights and think "that looks cool but im still not watching this movie". Dunno what it is, I'll just force myself at some point.

There’s definitely a diminishing return particularly with the world building

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They cast Ryan G and Ana de Armas but they aren’t even in a weird parasocial relationship

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
John Wick starts out really interesting and mysterious and the more they fill it in the more it's just bog standard Court Politics stuff.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Payndz posted:

There are shots in the tram sequence that reminded me of the final chase in Torque. And anything reminiscent of the final chase in Torque is never good. "How do we give a feeling of speed in this shot?" "Skip-frame it to make everything move twice as fast." "Uh, won't that make the action strobe and the physics look cartoony and ridiculous?" "Meh."

Torque is a goddamn masterpiece.

It knows what it is and revels in it.

Everyone, watch TORQUE

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

John Wick starts out really interesting and mysterious and the more they fill it in the more it's just bog standard Court Politics stuff.

Yeah that's how I feel. It starts out as a pure revenge story with some interesting world building, then the world building becomes the story. At least the action scenes have been consistently good and incentive through all the movies.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

dokmo posted:

Yeah that's how I feel. It starts out as a pure revenge story with some interesting world building, then the world building becomes the story. At least the action scenes have been consistently good and incentive through all the movies.
Yeah, the first was clearly based on the Police Story model of action film-making: figure out some cool sequences then make up a plot to justify them and space them to let the audience recover, like the banal romances in later Marx brothers films.

They decided that they needed to keep 'world building' instead, I guess the alternative would be to Police Story it, and make them only loosely connected, which also wouldn't have worked well either. Keeping moving through John's Bad Day makes more sense as a series then 'several years later Jackie needs to work with Michelle'.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I totally checked out of John Wick after the second, the worldbuilding was so cringey. They really forgot what made the first one so good - the concept of a man insanely brutally slaughtering hundreds of people cause they killed his dog.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
John Wick has the Matrix sequel problem where the base concept is only strong enough to sustain one movie. Instead of expanding upon it, or going in other directions, the sequels only introduce more characters and some who-gives-a-poo poo esotericism.

(Ohmigawd; Neo kissed a character named Persephone! Be sure to drink yr Ovaltine!)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Weirdly though this makes 2 the worst one

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I can agree with that. The two sequels didn't do anywhere near as much for me as the first despite the crazier action. The entire world turning out to be secret undercover hitmen just kinda sucked.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They can keep making John Wicks into infinity as far as I'm concerned. Any concerns that they weren't gonna be able to mix up the action enough to sustain a series were put to bed with JW3, and then some. I had some issues with where they took the story in JW3 but those are minor quibbles when you take the overall package into account.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I liked it when they referenced Ms 45

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I keep laughing at how they keep emphasizing "This time, we sent everybody after him!" in each new movie. By the fourth movie you really get the impression that all the assassins that answered the call in 2 and 3 were total chumps because look, now the real badassassins are after him!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think only Common has two scenes against Wick. Every other "awesome assassin" is a one-and-done. Am I remembering that right?

Also, bring back Common.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I think only Common has two scenes against Wick. Every other "awesome assassin" is a one-and-done. Am I remembering that right?

Also, bring back Common.

Yeah, even Tiger Chen only got into it with Wick to have his eye impaled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Also, bring back Common.

Mark Dacascas gets two scenes with Wick, and he gets the better of him in the first one.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Just please no more scenes where John fights his way to have a conversation with someone we've never seen (but who has VIP poise) who monologues for ages about how they can't help him because of how important the rules are and you can't ever break the rules or the entire world will come falling down because the High Table and their rules are oh-so very important and unbreakable.

John mentions some off-screen favour or obligation.

"Oh, okay then."

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

At what point do they just make a movie where John Wick kills all 8 billion humans on earth?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

No one,not even you John Wick, can kill everyone!"

Yeah I dunno, he's doing pretty great so far.

edit for lmao kinda beaten

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The last movie should end with the spirit of the dead puppy rising up from the grave, like a force ghost with Air Buddies mouth effects, and telling Wick to “just loving stop it already.”

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Currently working my way through The Gray Man, and while I am easy to please where action and smarmy Goslins and Evanses are concerned, the movie has me cringing about what exactly it is saying about the CIA. There is, like, a POC meany-head current chief of the CIA who is clearly too ambitious for his own good and who does away with all those old-fashioned methods of doing wetwork that his predecessor, a righteous old white dude who cares for his sick niece, has installed. The meany's main instrument is a free agent who berates the CIA agents who have been ordered to follow his lead, they just have "too many rules" while he gets the job done (he doesn't). The old-fashioned method of doing wetwork of course is CIA James Bond in Ryan Goslin, who we see in a flashback took care of the sick niece. Aiding this hero is an attractive and good CIA agent who sees through the meany's schemes and knows there is a conspiracy to unveil.

Maybe the MacGuffin they are all after reveals that every single character in the movie is a murderous/genocidal shithead, but I have my doubts. I remember and have taken part in discussions about how problematic the CIA agent in Black Panther was, this movie feels as if the Russo brothers saw that whole thing unfold and thought "How about we do that without any friendly black people and more CIA kicking rear end?"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Everything said about john wick makes me finally realize why i treat the series like "i have no interest in seeing this movie but i will watch like, 7 minutes of the fight scenes"

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
All of the John Wick movies rule. Haters vacate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

John Wick rules because it’s so silly and doesn’t care. I love that.

It knows it’s silly and winks a bit but doesn’t joss Whedon the thing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh i dont hate it, i really like the 10 minutes of every john wick i watch on youtube

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
JW2 has the gun sommelier scene and can do no wrong

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It gave us this tweet, which justifies both the films and Twitter in general
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1231730262880460801

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched The Grey Man last night, and I’ve got to say it really reminded me of 1985’s Commando. Not in tone or theme, but the parallels kept piling up. A special ops guy with absurd forces levelled against him, and the movie keeps explicitly telling us how incredibly bad-rear end he is. A kidnapped daughter-figure held in a mansion. The hero escapes from his would-be captors and absconds from a plane in mid-flight. A partnership with a lady with whom the hero has a conspicuously entirely platonic relationship with. And it all culminates in a ludicrous one-person frontal assault on the previously-mentioned heavily fortified mansion (though Ana de Armas has fractionally less muscle mass than Arnold), followed with the hero fighting an over-the-top and homoerotically charged villain where they throw their guns away as some kind of macho display.

I genuinely think this movie is an attempt to make an adaptation or reimagining of Commando with modern sensibilities, and I think Chris Evans was deliberately channeling a bit of Bennet in his performance. I enjoyed it well enough, though of course it can never top the bonkers majesty of the original Commando.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

3 felt like "Wheels Spinning: The Movie" and didn't really know what they wanted to do with John, so they just had him go from set-piece to set-piece annihilating people. His entire arc is coming to realize that the system he once inhabited and thrived in sucked poo poo, which is a good arc but they could have done more interesting stuff with his character - going to places of his past to allude and lore dump things on him isn't that interesting. I like that world quite a bit but it's kinda putting lore over story right now but 4 looks like it might make good on 3's meandering setup.

Love all the films, by the way. But

perfectly sums them up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gray Man is forgettable the only thing left is for The Culture to write 100 tweet threads about why Chris Evans' character is gay and Ryan G's character is gay and they are gay for each other

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

married but discreet posted:

I totally checked out of John Wick after the second, the worldbuilding was so cringey. They really forgot what made the first one so good - the concept of a man insanely brutally slaughtering hundreds of people cause they killed his dog.

see that wasn't even the worst part for me. Everyone kills people in broad daylight and civs either don't notice or look away which leads me to believe it's a world where people have to do wet poo poo like you drive for uber. Which is neat

the high table stuff? Oooh look at me I run the high table from Mt Everest aka The Highest Table

nobody gives a gently caress

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I liked John Wick 2 a lot overall but it felt like it had too much and too little world building at the same time.

John Wick 1 okay all the assassins work out of this one hotel in NYC and them and their various weapons dealers/etc. use gold dubloons for money and they communicate via an old timey phone network. So they have a physical currency that's totally disconnected from what regular people use and a communication network that's totally disconnected from what regular people use. There's some serious rules about how the assassins can behave when on these sorta neutral grounds. Perfect.

John Wick 2 okay the assassins are ACTUALLY run in Italy by the Camorra. The Camorra is an actual really old criminal organization irl that divides its groups into clans and all this other stuff but irl they mostly just run drugs, but whatever, cool, they just do assassinations now. But after John Wick "completes" the job suddenly it's really bad if the guy he helped out ascends to a seat on the HIGH TABLE instead of Wick's now dead target. But like....why? The main bad guy comes off like a violent rear end in a top hat who will cause chaos, but how is this any different from what anyone who runs a massive international assassination group is going to do? Anyway Laurence Fishburne ruling the streets owned. We soon learn why so many fights and killings can happen in broad daylight at the end of the movie when it's revealed that like a 1/3 of NYC's population are assassins. If this guy is so bad and Wick was so set on not helping him he could have just taken him out any time instead, if this guy is so hated why would anyone at this point care that he invaded John Wick's house and threatened him, so John Wick killed him? Ruby Rose basically looking like King from the KoF games was cool.

John Wick 3 okay so there's actually AN EVEN OLDER, EVEN HIGHER group running the show but only like one person on earth knows who and where they are and the only way to reach that person is to metal gear solid your way to his minting facility and then blast your way out after speaking to him, but somehow this highest of highest guys is able to run the whole show and has like infinite power from his tent in the middle of nowhere. A huge chunk of the movie felt like it was just filler between what goes down in 2 and what 3's ending builds up to. I liked the arbiter character. Mark Dacascos dying sucked rear end. Have him and Common come back in John Wick 4 as allies or something. First third of the movie whipped rear end.

So on the one hand I am super hype for John Wick 4, but on the other hand I hope it's tighter with its characters and story, there's definitely enough world to play in already.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gray man? More like gay, man

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Comrade Fakename posted:

and I think Chris Evans was deliberately channeling a bit of Bennet in his performance.

Nailed it.

It was a very '80s action movie, with all the requisite flaws to make that so.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Nailed it.

It was a very '80s action movie, with all the requisite flaws to make that so.

it wasn't anywhere near well paced enough for that, and there was no gratuitous nudity 0/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
If they'd made it in the 80s there would have been squibs