Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

landgrabber posted:

i feel like now i know why there aren't that many bands that come out of north carolina.

Superchunk, Let's Active, The Connells, The Db's, Archers of Loaf, The Avett Brothers, Corrosion of Conformity, Sylvan Esso, Jodeci, Southern Culture on the Skids, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Watchhouse/Mandolin Orange, Steep Canyon Rangers, Ben Folds, Petey Pablo, Maceo Parker, George Clinton, Nina Simone, me and John Motherfucking Coltrane all respectfully disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Between the Buried and me and their smooth bossa nova offerings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvoLQBTbI0

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
On the topic of metal bands doing acoustic stuff I always really liked this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wswKhCaD5I

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah that track is sick. The acoustic medley also kicks rear end and highlights how much of melodeath is like basically... bardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBWpQH_-yc

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

brushwad posted:

Superchunk, Let's Active, The Connells, The Db's, Archers of Loaf, The Avett Brothers, Corrosion of Conformity, Sylvan Esso, Jodeci, Southern Culture on the Skids, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Watchhouse/Mandolin Orange, Steep Canyon Rangers, Ben Folds, Petey Pablo, Maceo Parker, George Clinton, Nina Simone, me and John Motherfucking Coltrane all respectfully disagree.

i haven’t really heard many of these except for ben folds and coltrane— who i didn’t know was from NC but he definitely has my respect!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
And if you think aboutit the Squirrel Nut Zippers have more instruments between them than most entire festival lineups, so just think about how bad the weather would gently caress them up!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
you come up with the goofiest problems, landgrabber. "North Carolina has crazy weather, guess there's no making any good music here"

E; Keep on learning how to set up and adjust your guitars though, you'll get better at it. I'm in Alabama myself, so I have to occasionally tweak mine. Really not a big deal after you get used to doing it. It's insane to think people have to pay like 40 bucks every time that happens. I'd get some feeler gauges for measuring relief and a string action gauge if you don't already.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lol I was on the hunt for awful acoustic guitar tones but now I've been sucked into a youtube hole of 80s/early 90s hair ballads. LOTS of ovations being played.

The recipe for music videos was definitely a thing for the sentimental songs. Open real soft and casual. Soft focusing, natural lighting of the band just casually hanging out in some loft or practice space. As the song progresses start showing slomo clips of their performances and fans, maybe in grainy black and white. Cut to a high production video set with all the fixins. Showing the stage crew and some candid tour bus moments and shenanigans.

Lol its like ... every single one.

The flame by cheap trick. I grew up really liking cheap trick and whatever the guitar tone is on it is awful and I hate it so much.

Goo goo dolls Iris - I never really liked the acoustic tone in it. The song/recording itself is fine, but I don't really like how the acoustic sounds. At one point the picking in the beginning of the first verse is really close to the bridge and just feels too harsh.

Verman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 26, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i was just making a joke about NC weather to another NCer lol, the weather hasn't ever stopped me from playing music.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Verman posted:

The flame by cheap trick. I grew up really liking cheap trick and whatever the guitar tone is on it is awful and I hate it so much.

I suspect there's a Fairlight CMI or a similar sampler involved with that one, it just sounds too even and too clean.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

To me there are no rules about how to do your thing musically, you can play whatever you want on whatever you've got and that's fine. I can see why some might feel this or that song sounds better on an electric or an acoustic, though, they certainly have different sounds. Why play it on a guitar instead of a cello? Why one of those instead of a piano? (etc.) 'Cause that's how you like it, how it is in your head, how you wanna do it (or just what you own and are competent to play!).

Interesting point about wanting to hear the sound of the instrument internally in order to play it!

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you want an electric to sound like a piezo you should install a piezo in the neck pocket. EQ ain't gonna cut it because the way an electromagnetic field interacts with steel is completely different to how a piezoelectric pickup works. Their response to transients will be radically different, and the way they handle increasing amplitude across the spectrum will be different and you can't really fake that easily.

It's nice to hear that what i set out to do (fake an acoustic tone with my electric) is way too hard, and I don't have to feel bad about failing at it.

To echo what the other posters have said, I prefer the electric guitar's sound so much better (and its so versatile) compared to the sound of a piezoelectric acoustic guitar pickup. Microphone'd acoustic guitars or unamplified acoustic guitars sound great to me too, but then there's feedback / inadequate loudness in a live situation. Active magnetic pickups on an acoustic guitar can work too, I suppose.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Anyway you should just play through a fender amp with the slightest tickle of dirt instead, it's a different sound but a pleasant one that works in the same places an unaccompanied acoustic would.

landgrabber posted:

i think a neutral neck humbucker through an amp with a lot of headroom and maybe turned down mids (not metal zone scooped but just, make room for the vocal) will be a better sound because it fulfills a lot of the same functions, but isn't trying to be exactly the same as an acoustic.

Good points on finding an electric guitar sound that can serve the same role as a solo acoustic guitar (instead of trying to get the very same sound out of a very different sounding instrument).

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

On the topic of metal bands doing acoustic stuff I always really liked this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wswKhCaD5I

I got into IN Flames's acoustic stuff before i even heard their other sound! I think its very cool how they make the same song work both ways

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I used to do my solo stuff on telecaster with a little Fender amp or the old orange Roland cubes all the time. Call it my Billy Bragg phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNcygbTNJyE

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

for recording acoustic guitars:

a pickup or a guitar w/ a pre amp built in. but also mic the acoustic itself in a couple different ways.

mix to taste.

it's definitely a much bigger problem live but so are a lot of things. i've never had one, but i suspect a semi-hollow electric with a neck humbucker (thinline tele deluxe, es-335, sheraton, probably some others designs as well) and simply using the neck would probably be a lot better in a live situation

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

so i went to go grab a link to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s28HHxObhds

because i am learning that song and it's really nutty (DGDGBE tuning, it's like over from guitar day 1 :P) but it turns out it's actually a new installment in "cool tone, weird gear":

cool, fuzzy garage-y tone. telecaster neck pickup through a Boss GT-10, going into a jazz chorus amp :P

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

brushwad posted:

Cry of Love and Dag as well.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

landgrabber posted:

so i went to go grab a link to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s28HHxObhds

because i am learning that song and it's really nutty (DGDGBE tuning, it's like over from guitar day 1 :P) but it turns out it's actually a new installment in "cool tone, weird gear":

cool, fuzzy garage-y tone. telecaster neck pickup through a Boss GT-10, going into a jazz chorus amp :P

sorry but Katana does this fantastically, its based on a GT-10 (like same brains/firmware) and the JC sim is very very close (assume its real easy to copy in-house). also you can swap different choruses from the standard one (which it does do well) if you care about that

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ColdPie posted:

I've been working on learning Yenne Lee's arrangement of "The Water is Wide" since January. (Transcript and video of Lee playing the song are at that link.) It's my first full-length song. I finally got a decent recording of myself playing it, just one hiccup at the very end, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with this performance. It's really hard to play four minutes without mistakes!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP43TeVuFOc

Good stuff, also didn’t notice a mistake

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

landgrabber posted:

i haven’t really heard many of these except for ben folds and coltrane— who i didn’t know was from NC but he definitely has my respect!

With what you've posted about your tastes in rock, you might enjoy Superchunk and Archers of Loaf.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

muike posted:

I think it sounds tight when you mix it with a clean electric sound. Not on its own

This is more or less how I run it. Guitar goes into Helix effects, splits into two paths, one of which is a big block of DSP cores assigned to a dreadnought acoustic sim, the other being a light chorus and a slight volume duck before they get mixed back together. It sounds okay without the chorus side but the combination of the two makes it sound good instead of just alright.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
LG, I live in southern Durham about 5 minutes off 40. I have a set of medium (10-46) nut files and a knockoff ditto looper hanging out in a drawer.

If you want, and depending on how close you are, I could take a look at your nut and you can just have the pedal.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Huxley posted:

LG, I live in southern Durham about 5 minutes off 40. I have a set of medium (10-46) nut files and a knockoff ditto looper hanging out in a drawer.

If you want, and depending on how close you are, I could take a look at your nut and you can just have the pedal.

unfortunately, the cost of gas being what it is, and my distance away, i’m pretty sure it would actually be cheaper for me to just buy a cheap rear end looper pedal.

and i prefer 9s anyway because i’m a little BABY

but the nut comment did make me realize that may be where some of the problem comes from…

faust gave me a set of strings he really liked, but they were 10s, i think with thicker top strings. when i took it to get finished up, the woman set up my guitar and strung it… maybe she did work on the nut for those strings, and then i changed them back to 9s with lighter top strings and suddenly it’s out of wack?

either way i played for like four hours yesterday and didn’t have much sitarring, so i guess we’ll see where that goes!!

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 26, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've learned Looks that Kill and I'm learning Kickstart My Heart and as much as I hate to admit it, Mötley Crüe songs are fun to play.

Edit: lol I accidentally posted this in a Star Trek thread first whoops. Browser tabs are a poster's worst enemy.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mick Mars is sick.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

landgrabber posted:

unfortunately, the cost of gas being what it is, and my distance away, i’m pretty sure it would actually be cheaper for me to just buy a cheap rear end looper pedal.

and i prefer 9s anyway because i’m a little BABY

but the nut comment did make me realize that may be where some of the problem comes from…

faust gave me a set of strings he really liked, but they were 10s, i think with thicker top strings. when i took it to get finished up, the woman set up my guitar and strung it… maybe she did work on the nut for those strings, and then i changed them back to 9s with lighter top strings and suddenly it’s out of wack?

either way i played for like four hours yesterday and didn’t have much sitarring, so i guess we’ll see where that goes!!

Nut slots that are too wide for the strings in them can cause a "sitar" sound, but I think that particular problem only happens when the string is played open. That sitarring noise comes from the string vibrating in the nut slot, which would not happen if it were fretted.

Changing string gauges will put the geometry of the neck out of alignment from where it was at the setup on heavier gauge strings. Going to lighter strings means less tension pulling the neck forward, which would change how much work the truss rod needs to do. I don't think going from 10-46s down to 9-42s would be a huge difference, but it could be enough to reduce the clearance of strings over the frets at various points up the neck that sketchy frets which weren't causing problems before could suddenly come into play.

If it was the G string having issues I would ask if there were too many or not enough winds on the tuner post. Those are somewhat common issues that happen when changing strings on Fender (non-tiltback) necks. Both of those can cause bizarre issues due to break angle and pressure at the front of the nut slot. I think those kinds of problems are much less common on the B and high E due to the string tree.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hellblazer187 posted:

I've learned Looks that Kill and I'm learning Kickstart My Heart and as much as I hate to admit it, Mötley Crüe songs are fun to play.

Edit: lol I accidentally posted this in a Star Trek thread first whoops. Browser tabs are a poster's worst enemy.

I hate that they play in D standard because this song is super fuckin fun to play and I don't like taking my standard guitar and putting it in D standard, and I don't want to get yet another guitar for D standard just to play Immortal, Toxic Holocaust, Children Of Bodom, and I guess Motley Crue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahq4blDfU5s

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Mick Mars is sick.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I hate that they play in D standard

Oh, yeah, I just pitch shift the audio track up two semi tones in Audacity. Yeah the voice sounds a little high but, eh, it's still sound fine for playing along.

I decided not to try to learn that one because I don't think I could hit those harmonics fast enough.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 27, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Too Fast for Love is a favourite album of mine. It’s much more on the punk side of things than their later stuff.

I just watched the Ratt behind the music documentary last night and the whole Robbin Crosby part is so grim and depressing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I saw a youtube video about a website lalal.ai that lets you upload audio tracks and remove certain instruments. I don't know how much it's really "AI" and how much it's just very sophisticated software, using AI as a buzzword. Anyways, I used it to take out the guitar track for Looks that Kill and practicing along with the bass, drum, and vocal where I'm the only guitar is a very different feel and pretty cool. I'll probably try to edit back in the guitars for the solo, since I've only learned (and at this point am only capable of playing) the rhythm part. It's a neat practice tool, though. The separation is not perfect, but it's surprisingly good.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't know how much it's really "AI" and how much it's just very sophisticated software, using AI as a buzzword.

I have news for you on all "AI"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

I have news for you on all "AI"

Haha, yeah. I mean I don't really know what separates the one from the other. I'm not a tech guy. I guess this webpage and like, DallE use some form of "machine learning" which is also a thing that I don't truly know the definition of. But these websites don't have any kind of sentience. So whatever. I like hosed up procgen images and text and this website is a cool new practice tool for me but none of those are going to like take over the government like in a sci fi movie.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Took my first guitar, an MIM strat from the early 2000s, to my luthier to get a lot of work done on it. Electronics were a mess, bridge pickup had failed (SD JB Jr. came unglued from its housing, wedged the windings tight against the corner of it and tore a bunch of them, wouldn't make sound correctly anymore), frets troubled after having it for 16+ years of playing, actually it had never had any attention from a professional apart from a nut installation in 2007. Action was a mess, trem bridge never worked right, input jack was problematic since 2008, neck had some play in the pocket and was put in with drywall screws, ... I could go on. He looked it over and asked me how tf I was playing it :lol: The last bits of work had to wait on shipping after I ordered a Lace Hot Gold 13.2k for the bridge, to go with the Lace Red in the middle and Lace Blue in the neck, but it came in yesterday and he got it all back together today.

I can't get enough of this guy's work! Laundry list of issues all fixed... Now its electronics working right for the first time since I replaced the pickups myself as the first things I ever soldered, that was fun back in the day but I had the bridge in backwards and some of the others had grounding issues, haha. He took care of the frets, replaced the bridge pickup and fixed the rest of the wiring, cut a perfect block for the bridge, cleaned the guitar up for me, and gave it a proper setup. Ho-ly poo poo.

I played it for like four hours straight tonight, couldn't put it down. This was my main guitar early on, my only guitar for some of my college years (did get an Agile Ghost II a couple years in if I remember right that I still have, which is in my first post in this thread and which will be heading to him as the only guitar I have that hasn't yet had his work on it, finally time for it to get some love too!) - it's AWESOME to have my strat back in good shape, looking better than its looked in years and playing better than when it was new, better than I ever got it. I might replace the neck on it with a 22-fret some time this year. It sounds so much better than how I had it configured.

Pals, I thought I knew how to set up a guitar's action, relief, and intonation. I mean I recorded a lot of tracks over the years with my own DIY work on guitars. But gently caress me, what a difference, never again - I'll pay this dude every single time I need work as long as he's in the game and within driving distance.

That said, I might get a cheap project guitar to go back to basics and figure out how to do this stuff better - I'd love to get closer to being able to set them up this well myself if I can.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 28, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

late 90s/early 2000s MIM necks are like Cinderella's slipper for my hands

love those things, hold on to that forever

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

late 90s/early 2000s MIM necks are like Cinderella's slipper for my hands

love those things, hold on to that forever

Man, my 2001 MIM Strat (acquired through a swap for F-Zero GX, £100 and an entry level Ibanez) has been through the wars of being dropped by a friend at a show and various house moves, and it was kind of beat-up but I'm glad I could never part with it and got it properly set-up, because it's the guitar I keep coming back to. I put 9s on it the other day and I'm in heaven.

It's weird, I had 9s on my much more recent player Tele but they felt like wet noodles - is there any physical reason they feel great on the Strat but not so much the Tele when the necks are so similar?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
came into possession of a few guitars that have spent the last decade in storage, upright/leaning in soft, mostly unpadded, gig bags, strung:

2000s MIM Strat

~2010 Danelectro

some others, not sure, but those were the two that stood out to me

how likely is it that the necks are borked beyond repair vs reasonably fixable by a professional vs totally fine, maybe with a new setup?

Both are bolt-on, and I know the fender would be relatively trivial to replace/part out, but what about the Dano? I doubt it’d be nearly as easy to wrangle up a replacement neck for that one

For what its worth, nothing seems particularly warped or bent and everything’s in good shape material-wise(they were kept relatively climate-controlled but the room they were in did get allowed to get hot most summers).

They look totally fine to the naked eye/touch. Somebody who didn’t know anything about setting guitars and whatnot would think they were both totally fine, but I’ve seen necks that I thought were fine get replaced and subjected to severe re-setting before.

I haven’t tried playing them yet (they need new strings). Am I just being paranoid?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dano necks come pre-hosed out of the factory. That's part of the appeal.

But real talk it's kinda impossible to guess just from descriptions. If you have a straightedge, take some pics against the frets and looking down from the headstock and folks might be able to eyeball them.

But unless there's some humps you can see with the naked eye odds are they're not so hosed that they can't be unfucked

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I finally got my thrift store guitar all complete and I think I love that it's an ibanez RG but I don't specifically love the whole dj platform conceit. Been playing around with the kaoss pad for a couple of days now and I can't find any of these alien noises the make sense with what I'm trying to do.

What kind of whammy bar RG do you think i could trade something like this for, and where's the best place to do that? Model number is RGKP6.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Man, my 2001 MIM Strat (acquired through a swap for F-Zero GX, £100 and an entry level Ibanez) has been through the wars of being dropped by a friend at a show and various house moves, and it was kind of beat-up but I'm glad I could never part with it and got it properly set-up, because it's the guitar I keep coming back to. I put 9s on it the other day and I'm in heaven.

It's weird, I had 9s on my much more recent player Tele but they felt like wet noodles - is there any physical reason they feel great on the Strat but not so much the Tele when the necks are so similar?

Setup differences would be my first thought.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Stalizard posted:

I finally got my thrift store guitar all complete and I think I love that it's an ibanez RG but I don't specifically love the whole dj platform conceit. Been playing around with the kaoss pad for a couple of days now and I can't find any of these alien noises the make sense with what I'm trying to do.

What kind of whammy bar RG do you think i could trade something like this for, and where's the best place to do that? Model number is RGKP6.

Oh man I thought these were so sick when they came out. If I had any money right now I'd buy it off you lol. As far as trades go, probably something in the standard line. They don't go for a ton of cash unfortunately. Probably a mistake in going for the mini Kaoss instead of the big boy.

Try putting it up on reverb for whatever you're willing to part with it for, or slightly more and accept offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

Wet noodles? As in not substantial enough/bend too easily?

As nitsuga says, the first guess is probably something in the setup. I could see how extra light strings with higher action might not be noticeably harder to press to the frets but might feel bad because there is more travel.

Further questions would be: same brand of strings? Does the tele have 6 individual saddles or 3 barrels? If it is six individual saddles on the tele, are they blocks or bent steel (and is that the same or different than the strat)? I've seen people complain about slinky/noodle-y feel on guitars where the strings were sliding around on the saddles a little bit, instead of staying in narrow slots.

An even more farfetched possibility would be having a telecaster bridge with strings through the end of the bridge instead of up through the body. I don't know if Fender even sells any with bridges like that. I have a plywood T-style guitar that was unbelievably cheap on Amazon, and it has that kind of bridge. I guess not drilling through the body and putting in string ferrules saved some production cost.