Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

Tbh I'm surprised we haven't gone whole hog into asteroid mining because that solves a lot of problems

sorry but asteroid mining is just a lib fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

indigi posted:

like what?

free, perfectly clean, unlimited power, for one
you'd also create microwave death rayguns by doing this so it is likewise impossible under anything other than global communism

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

500 good dogs posted:

nonsense they don't believe anything can/should change

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mine an asteroid inside my rear end

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

it's the first stop on the path to humanity being able to survive for any real length of time, but also impossible under anything other than fully realized communism. the lib fantasy part is thinking it could ever come about in anything even remotely resembling the current world order so that it would be like the expanse or whatever and you could go have Space Adventures in your lifetime or even your great-great-grandchild's lifetime

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Tbh I'm surprised we haven't gone whole hog into asteroid mining because that solves a lot of problems

You could mine an old dump for a single digit percent of the cost of that and get all the same stuff they have in asteroids so I don't know what problems that solves other than not enough space barges full of lithium accidentally crashing into the earth. Unless you just mean for processing ore for use in space which is pretty useless because space is a waste of time

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

space telescopes are cool and compared to a lot of other boondoggle space bullshit pretty cheap and simple

The ones <$400M, sure. Don't read about Roman's or JWST's development.

The good news is that there's a new NASA program for ~$1B class telescopes that will be managed like the <$400M ones. There'll be a far IR (like Herschel) or X-ray telescope (like Chandra, NuStar) selected this decade

Grapplejack posted:

What Pentecoastal Elites said but also it requires a much more advanced space business ecosystem to buy down tech costs (launch, reliable space systems), which is precisely the revolution the space industry has seen in the past decade.

Another issue is that it would require the development of new space mining cartels to manage how all of the metal makes it to market. It could/would really mess with geopolitics. https://hir.harvard.edu/economics-o...eroid%20mining.

guidoanselmi has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Jul 25, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Capitalism is the Great Filter.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Capitalism is the Great Filter.

I unironically think this is true in at least some sense for creatures that are basically like us (individual social animals). Capitalism as a technology, or something like it, can probably can arise from any system in which specialized labor is developed. The civilizations who don't recognize it in time and quash it kill themselves through nuclear war or cooking their planet via pollution or whatever.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

free, perfectly clean, unlimited power, for one

how is it any different than just building more solar hydro and wind? the only clean power-generating element not present in abundance on Earth is He3 and we can get that from the Moon if we ever get around to doing fusion

I don’t think mining asteroids solves any problems more quickly, efficiently, or realistically than simply shifting productive forces away from fossil fuel exploitation and into renewables

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think capitalism is good.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

NEOs are pretty unlikely to have meaningful deposits of He3 due to size, solar distance, and spin. hth

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

indigi posted:

how is it any different than just building more solar hydro and wind? the only clean power-generating element not present in abundance on Earth is He3 and we can get that from the Moon if we ever get around to doing fusion

I don’t think mining asteroids solves any problems more quickly, efficiently, or realistically than simply shifting productive forces away from fossil fuel exploitation and into renewables

in the short term (by which I mean several hundreds of years), no, the last thing we should be doing is space industry of any sort. In the longer term, though, while I think a global communist society could get pretty close to optimal distribution of resources you're still going to want more energy to do stuff with, and renewable energy isn't completely clean. Neither is space-based energy generation technically but you offload everything you can into space so your only polluting enterprise becomes the actual receptor infrastructure in construction and maintenance.

Ultimately, though, you want to be mostly living and doing your thing off-planet (and planets in general) and for any sort of not-fooling-around space industry you've gotta crack some asteroids.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh for sure. that’s the cool poo poo I’m way into

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think capitalism is good.

I don’t think it’s good but it is necessary so we may as well try to enjoy it while we can.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't think that communism is needed to have a space faring civilization but without it, the chances are slim and also it will be terrible just like now is terrible

I hope I live long enough to see what happens though the current changes within the spaceflight industry are super compelling

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

500 good dogs posted:

on the other hand the belter woman in the expanse was extremely sexy. remember this b4 u open ur mouth again. or else

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Smythe posted:

on the other hand the belter woman in the expanse was extremely sexy. remember this b4 u open ur mouth again. or else

:agreed:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

:discourse:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Arent there a bunch of rare earth metals that are relatively abundant in asteroids but on Earth come from like 3 mines, all of which use incredibly exploited labor.

From an ethics standpoint robotic asteroid mining would almost certaintly be less harmful to human health and the environment than traditional mining on Earth; at least for these sorts of resources.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

nickel, cobalt, iridium, platinum come to mind

there's no point in sending people. it'd all be robots

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
you see, asteroid mining would be free of exploitation because it would be implemented by a utopian communist earth government. the constant rocket launches would also not cause any impact to the earth, for the same reason.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

guidoanselmi posted:

good thing we can make robots without rare earth metals

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'd like to colonize a planet and terrorize the zerg, jim raynor style.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

LOL I think I just mashed some poor fella's dog

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

playtime is OVER *bricks a zergling*

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if you have robots that can mine rare earths in space

do you know where it’d be even easier to deploy them

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

indigi posted:

if you have robots that can mine rare earths in space

do you know where it’d be even easier to deploy them

not Afghanistan lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Lord of Pie posted:

not Afghanistan lol

I bet China could

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It really is going to be very funny when the locals let them mine unmolested because they pour money on them instead of bombs

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

unwantedplatypus posted:

Arent there a bunch of rare earth metals that are relatively abundant in asteroids but on Earth come from like 3 mines, all of which use incredibly exploited labor.

From an ethics standpoint robotic asteroid mining would almost certaintly be less harmful to human health and the environment than traditional mining on Earth; at least for these sorts of resources.

guidoanselmi posted:

this technology does not and will never exist lmao

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

this technology does not and will never exist lmao

why? Its certainly not physically impossible

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
neither is turning lead into gold, with the right technology that exists in theory

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

the milk machine posted:

neither is turning lead into gold, with the right technology that exists in theory

We already conduct nuclear transmutation in particle accelerators. There's literally no reason to think that you couldn't mature this technology further. We just don't because its not practically beneficial.

edit: I'm so fortunate to be born at the exact unchanging apex of technology and culture. Just think, if I were born in another era, I would have to grapple with understanding I will grow old into a world fundamentally different than the one I grew up in. Thankfully, the 21st century is the asymptote of humanity. The response to my sarcasm will be eschatology.

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Jul 26, 2022

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

unwantedplatypus posted:

We already conduct nuclear transmutation in particle accelerators. There's literally no reason to think that you couldn't mature this technology further. We just don't because its not practically beneficial.

edit: I'm so fortunate to be born at the exact unchanging apex of technology and culture. Just think, if I were born in another era, I would have to grapple with understanding I will grow old into a world fundamentally different than the one I grew up in. Thankfully, the 21st century is the asymptote of humanity. The response to my sarcasm will be eschatology.

local maximum of humanity

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Vomik posted:

local maximum of humanity

Over time changes in environment move local maxima, freeing up further evolution. Same in the rest of life as it is in us; and history moves much faster than biology. Unless you want to claim that human civilizations are so stable that historical factors will not change the variables at play, and therefore not move local maxima.

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Jul 26, 2022

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

yeah the local maximum is moving... down!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

500 good dogs posted:

yeah the local maximum is moving... down!

When bangladesh begins flooding, do you think they will respond by abandoning modernity, tearing down their factories, and reverting back to a feudal way of life; or do you think they will respond with re-orienting their productive efforts, combined with modern technology, for the purpose of mitigating the damage? If this process continues for decades and decades, they'll probably get pretty good at the techniques used to minimize damage, even if they are helpless to stop damage entirely. They will have advanced down a path of development, that would not have occured without the disruptive flooding event. In this case, technological and developmental progress advances, despite worsening conditions.

It does not matter what causes the maxima to move, only that they do move. There is no going back in history or in evolution.

Therefore, I think its incredibly unlikely for human civilization to technologically and developmentally stagnate in a local maximum of development as was hinted at earlier.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

unwantedplatypus posted:

When bangladesh begins flooding, do you think they will respond by abandoning modernity, tearing down their factories, and reverting back to a feudal way of life; or do you think they will respond with re-orienting their productive efforts, combined with modern technology, for the purpose of mitigating the damage? If this process continues for decades and decades, they'll probably get pretty good at the techniques used to minimize damage, even if they are helpless to stop damage entirely. They will have advanced down a path of development, that would not have occured without the disruptive flooding event. In this case, technological and developmental progress advances, despite worsening conditions.

It does not matter what causes the maxima to move, only that they do move. There is no going back in history or in evolution.

no they're not going to abandon modernity, they're just going to die OP

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

500 good dogs posted:

no they're not going to abandon modernity, they're just going to die OP

Its going to take decades for that to happen, and people will be trying to actively not die while it is happening. They might fail, but failure is not stagnation. And failure is not a guarantee, no matter how smart cynicism makes you feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
As a leftist I think that the people of the third world will go quietly into the night.