Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This is probably a better deal (and cheaper) than a 12400F + cheap B660, right?

i7 11700K + ASUS Z590 board w/ wifi for $270 at Microcenter.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006008/Intel_Core_i7-11700K,_ASUS_Z590-P_Prime_WiFi,_CPU_-_Motherboard_Combo

e:hmm, the price reverted right after I posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

This is probably a better deal (and cheaper) than a 12400F + cheap B660, right?

i7 11700K + ASUS Z590 board w/ wifi for $270 at Microcenter.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006008/Intel_Core_i7-11700K,_ASUS_Z590-P_Prime_WiFi,_CPU_-_Motherboard_Combo

e:hmm, the price reverted right after I posted.

It's still active. But honestly, I'd still avoid it. The 12400 is basically on par with the 11700K, and it you have more leeway for future upgrades. And it's not like the Asus Prime is a good motherboard anyway.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

What's the 'sweet spot' price performance cou reckoned to be these days?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

For Intel, probably the 12400 / 12400F

For AMD, probably the 5600 / 5600X

FMchubs
Mar 27, 2010
I've come up with a build and would really appreciate any input:

CPU: *Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($399.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($52.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Red Devil Video Card ($469.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.98 @ Amazon)

I've already bought the CPU, so that part's locked in. I selected everything else based on comparing specs for editor's choice selections in 2021/late 2020 on TechPowerUp, scaling to prices I was willing to pay, and then picking some often-reviewed, 5-star components on PCPartPicker.

My previous build was done in 2013 and has lasted this long. I'd like to play 2021 games at default high-range settings while streaming them. If I can play games that release 5 years from now at low to mid-range default settings when the time comes, I'd be happy. I don't think I do anything super CPU-intensive, but I like editing videos, photoshopping, generally being creative.

I have two older monitors that I'm keeping. I'll also get more storage but want to consider the rest of the guts first.

Once this is built, I don't intend to open it up and upgrade things later on. I'd just like to be set for the next 5-10 years.

Am I ripping myself off by buying anything that I won't be putting to its full use? Are there any questions I should be asking myself?

Thanks tons for any thoughts.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
so, generally the optimal strategy is two GPU upgrades for every CPU upgrade, that's usually pretty achievable and a reasonable way of managing cost. any GPU you buy now is going to pale in comparison to the price/performance you're going to get in say 3-5 years, but you would expect a decent CPU to last at least twice that with settings compromises in the back half maybe. that i think is probably a better way of thinking about the upgrade path - if you want decent settings in games 5 years from now i would expect your GPU to be your bottleneck regardless of what you bought.

it's a little more awkward in the case of 12th gen tho cause you're still riiiiight on the cusp of that DDR4->5 switchover and maybe you'd wanna upgrade more to get DDR5 when that's more price competitive - the transitory years are a little weird.

for games the most important factor is the GPU and an oft quoted strategy is roughly a third of total cost (in normal conditions at least). the 6700XT is if i recall roughly a 3070 level product, i think it's at least a year old at this time so again manage expectations on how long a GPU is going to run you.

don't buy that windows licence, buy a key in SA mart for like a tenner, make a media creation USB using the media creation tool on a currently updated version of windows and use one of those cheap but legit ex OEM keys. put that savings into more GPU, imo.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you're combining a small form factor PSU with a full sized case. doesn't make sense, and even though that's an excellent SFX PSU all SFXs have compromises compared to their full sized cousins, for sure in price if nothing else. GPU wattages are trending upward in a big way so 750 would be overkill with a 6700XT normally but you might wanna leave some overhead in case you do wind up upgrading, so a full sized 850 or so might be better. you get slight efficiency benefits from not using your total power budget but i don't know if it would matter if you're already going for a platinum PSU.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Just posting a reminder that you should continuously look for updates to your new builds to improve stability.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

$400 5800X3D, sold and shipped by Newegg

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-ryzen-7-5000-series/p/N82E16819113734

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hmmm, now I have to decide whether I should upgrade from a 3600 to this at $400ish + whatever a CPU cooler is going to cost + taking apart the entire Mobo to upgrade from stock cooling or just spend $144 to get a 5600. I currently have a 1080ti as my GPU and that'll be sticking around until at least the RTX 4070 is available (assuming it isn't like $600+) or like a 3080 12gb somehow drops to $500 new from a retailer. I play games at 1440p

edit: I'm still leaning towards the 5800X3D I just have no clue what air CPU cooler to get for it since I've never ever had to use anything but stock cooling on computers I've built since it was always just a basic CPU (old amd 1ghz t-bird I didn't take advantage of, i5-3550, this r5 3600)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 24, 2022

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I got a buddy asking me about ram, he has 2x8 sticks and wants to go up to 32gb, has 2 open slots. Can he just grab another 2x8 pair of DDR-whatever the original pair is and jam it in or is there more to it than that?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vaginite posted:

I got a buddy asking me about ram, he has 2x8 sticks and wants to go up to 32gb, has 2 open slots. Can he just grab another 2x8 pair of DDR-whatever the original pair is and jam it in or is there more to it than that?

That's pretty much all he needs to do. Sometimes if he's running XMP he'll have to check it gets re-enabled and things run smoothly without a voltage bump but most of the time it's just add two more of the same kind or similar.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
So i have a bit of a conundrum and need some advice. I've got two kids fascinated by Minecraft. The goal is to play Minecraft smoothly, and even better just get a nice pairing for a 1660 Super so I don't have to upgrade yet again in the future. Another possible goal is to play Forza well on my TV.

I currently have the following things in my house:
  • G3258 HTPC (it's in a Hadron Air case with a proprietary PSU and is getting to 8 years old at this point. Part of me is concerned this part will need replacing soon)
  • 7100T with mATX motherboard (will need to buy a case/RAM)
  • 750w PSU I got from a coworker
  • Various hard disks (mostly WD red)
  • 1660 Super which obviously will be bottlenecked by either of those CPUs listed above
For fun I tried the 1660 in the G3258 and it's awful. Lots of stuttering and just a plain bad time.

I thought about spending some cash on a 4790 but that would still be bottlenecked and I'd be left with a G3258 with no board and a 4790 in an HTPC which would be using much more power.

I thought about using the board the 7100T is on but I'd still have to buy RAM and a case, and this is just putting lipstick on a pig.

When looking up PC builds and reusing stuff I already have, I'll need a case, CPU, mobo, RAM. I put together some budget Intel builds and I'm looking at another $400-500 :( (I really want mITX)

I suppose I could try to find some used Ryzen builds and pick them up, but that just seems like so much work trying to track down deals.

I'm really at a loss on what to do and hitting analysis paralysis. Would appreciate any perspectives y'all have on this.

FMchubs
Mar 27, 2010

Thank you both!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
It's been a few days, but I recently walked into Microcenter here in Houston and walked out with every part I needed. The folks over there are awesome at having parts in stock, good sale prices on CPU's, combo discounts, etc.

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($160 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($70 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING H670-PRO WIFI D4 ($210 @ Microcenter)
Memory: TeamGroup 32GB 3200 CL16 ($90 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 2TB ($170 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 3060 OC ($460 @ Microcenter)
Case: Corsair 4000D ($118 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: EVGA 650GT 80+Gold ($70 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1,348

I probably overspent a little bit on the GPU due to their limited choices with a decent cooler setup at the 3060 pricepoint. I grabbed extra RAM because I'm going to do a dry run of FlightSim for my buddy to see if this build would work for him.

Overall, I'm quite happy. Everything went together easily as this was my first PC build in maybe 8 years. I've logged a bunch of hours in Eldenring and it's beautiful.

I also grabbed a MSI G273QPF 27" 144hz monitor, which was out of scope for $280.

This megathread helped me figure out what I needed - THANKS!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bank posted:

So i have a bit of a conundrum and need some advice. I've got two kids fascinated by Minecraft. The goal is to play Minecraft smoothly, and even better just get a nice pairing for a 1660 Super so I don't have to upgrade yet again in the future. Another possible goal is to play Forza well on my TV.

I currently have the following things in my house:
  • G3258 HTPC (it's in a Hadron Air case with a proprietary PSU and is getting to 8 years old at this point. Part of me is concerned this part will need replacing soon)
  • 7100T with mATX motherboard (will need to buy a case/RAM)
  • 750w PSU I got from a coworker
  • Various hard disks (mostly WD red)
  • 1660 Super which obviously will be bottlenecked by either of those CPUs listed above
For fun I tried the 1660 in the G3258 and it's awful. Lots of stuttering and just a plain bad time.

I thought about spending some cash on a 4790 but that would still be bottlenecked and I'd be left with a G3258 with no board and a 4790 in an HTPC which would be using much more power.

I thought about using the board the 7100T is on but I'd still have to buy RAM and a case, and this is just putting lipstick on a pig.

When looking up PC builds and reusing stuff I already have, I'll need a case, CPU, mobo, RAM. I put together some budget Intel builds and I'm looking at another $400-500 :( (I really want mITX)

I suppose I could try to find some used Ryzen builds and pick them up, but that just seems like so much work trying to track down deals.

I'm really at a loss on what to do and hitting analysis paralysis. Would appreciate any perspectives y'all have on this.

One thing to consider with any reuse of these older systems is that Windows 10 will reach of life in 2025 and only 8th gen or newer parts will be supported by Windows 11. We don't yet know if MS will go back on these requirements since you can currently install Windows 11 on almost anything (I'm using it on a 4th gen system to try it out), but I wouldn't put very much money into a system that's running a 4th or 7th gen CPU just in case. Yeah, that does mean that you're looking at buying a motherboard, CPU, and RAM, but it also means you might not be worrying about an out of support OS in 2 1/2 years.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to get some reuse in, but Minecraft is pretty CPU heavy. Because of that I'd either look at getting a cheaper Haswell CPU for that system with the G3258, or just buy components to fix up the 7100T system that you can potentially reuse on a newer build. Due to the i3-7100T being dual core I think you'd get better results spending $60 on ebay for the 4790, just bear in mind that it's a hotter part than the G3258 so you might need some additional cooling.

There's nothing wrong with ITX stuff but as you're seeing, it does increase the prices of almost everything. That EVGA Hadron case you have apparently uses U1 form factor PSUs which exist but are kind of niche outside of rack mount systems, so there's higher pricing and not as many choices. You can get a replacement, though. I don't know what the original warranty was but 10 years puts it in a similar timeframe as the possible windows 10 end of life anyway.

So in your situation, I'd probably not bother with the 7100T for Minecraft but look at the Haswell system as an upgrade for now, and then consider that in a couple of years you may need to do some more stuff. There's a lot of cheap 10th and 11th gen intel stuff from big manufacturers as they sell off old stock, and some 8th and 9th gen stuff hitting the second hand market. There will be more soon. I'd consider spending just a little and then saving the rest for a bigger upgrade in a couple of years.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
That is great insight, thanks! I'll probably sell off some of these extra parts (save the GPU) and get a newer CPU. I'll have to figure out what coolers are available that fit this case though, as the size is a bit limiting.

If anybody's got suggestions on a low profile cooler that's available cheaply please let me know!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

XYLOPAGUS posted:

It's been a few days, but I recently walked into Microcenter here in Houston and walked out with every part I needed. The folks over there are awesome at having parts in stock, good sale prices on CPU's, combo discounts, etc.

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($160 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($70 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING H670-PRO WIFI D4 ($210 @ Microcenter)
Memory: TeamGroup 32GB 3200 CL16 ($90 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 2TB ($170 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 3060 OC ($460 @ Microcenter)
Case: Corsair 4000D ($118 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: EVGA 650GT 80+Gold ($70 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1,348

I probably overspent a little bit on the GPU due to their limited choices with a decent cooler setup at the 3060 pricepoint. I grabbed extra RAM because I'm going to do a dry run of FlightSim for my buddy to see if this build would work for him.

Overall, I'm quite happy. Everything went together easily as this was my first PC build in maybe 8 years. I've logged a bunch of hours in Eldenring and it's beautiful.

I also grabbed a MSI G273QPF 27" 144hz monitor, which was out of scope for $280.

This megathread helped me figure out what I needed - THANKS!

You may have been able to find some better deals for some of those components online, but there's no beating the convenience of walking into a store and walking back out with everything you need then and there.

That monitor's not a bad get at $280. Just grab a monitor arm for it because the stand it comes with is junk (edit: Actually, nevermind. I was looking at a review for the G273QF which comes with a non-adjustable stand. The "QPF" model comes with a fully adjustable stand.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 24, 2022

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

petit choux posted:

Greetings, thread, I was hoping for some advice and a chance to show off these computers. I was at a thrift store and they had a box of assorted hardware, including what I thought were terminals, so I snapped up the whole box for $20. But they turned out to be complete computers, complete with OS (NT 6.4) and really nice touch screens, USB 3, etc. My point is, I wish to back up the OS, install Windows 10 on them, and was kind of wondering if there may be any wisdom available to me here, or perhaps another thread?

You want to see them? I think they're really cool.

Those are an absolute steal for $20, NT 6.4 (Win 10) point of sale terminals like that go for like $400 used.
I don't know anything about modding them though, but I would say attach a keyboard, go into the bios, make sure you can boot from a usb drive, and then you can probably do everything normally.

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
Hi, long time since I've built a PC - last one was a i5 4690S with a GTX 750Ti in it - can you please sanity check this mishmash of parts and let me know if i've done something horrific?

Its for minor gaming [edit: 1080p], possibly some PLEX duties (I have current spinning rust for mass storage). I'm in Australia.

TIA

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Amazon Australia)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($165.00 @ BPC Technology)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($288.00 @ I-Tech)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.00 @ BPC Technology)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 6600 8 GB DUAL Video Card ($369.00 @ PCByte)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.77 @ JW Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($135.00 @ Amazon Australia)
Total: $1489.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-25 08:25 AEST+1000

pelao fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 24, 2022

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Rexxed posted:

That's pretty much all he needs to do. Sometimes if he's running XMP he'll have to check it gets re-enabled and things run smoothly without a voltage bump but most of the time it's just add two more of the same kind or similar.

Awesome thank you

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

pelao posted:

Hi, long time since I've built a PC - last one was a i5 4690S with a GTX 750Ti in it - can you please sanity check this mishmash of parts and let me know if i've done something horrific?

Its for minor gaming [edit: 1080p], possibly some PLEX duties (I have current spinning rust for mass storage). I'm in Australia.

TIA

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($165.00 @ BPC Technology)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($288.00 @ I-Tech)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.00 @ BPC Technology)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($135.00 @ Amazon Australia)

i can't really comment on dollary doo pricing, although that ram and storage seem on the expensive side. otherwise the config makes a lot of sense i'd say. i'd suggest maybe an aftermarket cooler, even a cheap one will improve acoustics a bit over stock.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You may have been able to find some better deals for some of those components online, but there's no beating the convenience of walking into a store and walking back out with everything you need then and there.

That monitor's not a bad get at $280. Just grab a monitor arm for it because the stand it comes with is junk (edit: Actually, nevermind. I was looking at a review for the G273QF which comes with a non-adjustable stand. The "QPF" model comes with a fully adjustable stand.)

I plan on getting a dual arm setup for my old 60hz monitor plus this one, but yeah it's the better stand!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pelao posted:

TIA

PCPartPicker Part List

I've heard inconsistent things about the ability of non-K Intel CPUs to run DDR4-3600. For a 12400, I'd just go with a good, inexpensive set of DDR4-3200: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/8BLwrH/gskill-aegis-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-32gis

That stuff won't really be perceptibly slower than 3600 anyway, and you'll save some good money by not getting some overpriced RGB sticks in what looks like a pretty normal midrange system.

Get an aftermarket CPU cooler too. Even a basic cheapo tower cooler will be a lot better than the stock cooler. Like this: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/mnzFf7/id-cooling-se-224-xt-7616-cfm-cpu-cooler-se-224-xt-black

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

pelao posted:

TIA

PCPartPicker Part List

You can get a 6600XT for only $399, $30 more at present, and it's been as cheap as $349 in the last week (which is the current lowest price for the 6600). That's an upgrade you should absolutely make given the value proposition.
https://www.umart.com.au/product/gigabyte-radeon-rx-6600-xt-eagle-8g-graphics-card-60426

https://www.amazon.com.au/Vetroo-V5-Processor-Universal-Addressable/dp/B08F21X2VP/
The Vetroo V5 is a pretty good budget CPU cooler and currently on sale for $40

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks for the feedback, I'll get a cooler and downrate the RAM. The fun begins.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Another noob question. My Samsung 980 PRO M.2 2tb drive doesn't have a heat sink like the one in my ps5. But the ps5 needs it because it's wedged in the side with no ventilation. Hope my six fans mean I don't need one in the PC?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Another noob question. My Samsung 980 PRO M.2 2tb drive doesn't have a heat sink like the one in my ps5. But the ps5 needs it because it's wedged in the side with no ventilation. Hope my six fans mean I don't need one in the PC?

You might not need one, especially if it's not a gen 4 drive (the 980 pro obviously is gen 4, since it's in the PS5), but moreover, your motherboard very likely has an M.2 slot (or more) that comes with a heatsink.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 980 pro doesn't really need a heatsink. It honestly doesn't need one in the PS5 either. You may get some minor throttling in extended writes to the drive (e.g. for 3+ minutes at max speed), but there will be zero problem with read performance.

Sethur
Apr 18, 2007
I paid for this account with imaginary internet spaceship money.
Like many others, I have come to throw myself before the trigoonal to find out if any of my choices are wildly mismatched. I'm upgrading from a pretty old system (i5 4690 and GTX 970), and I'm currently still running 1080p@60 monitors, though I'll probably upgrade to 1440 at 120 or 144 once one of them dies. I realize for 1080p this hardware is pretty overkill, but I'm hoping to keep the new setup for a similar amount of time as my current one without spending exorbitant amounts of top-of-the-line "futureproof" hardware, given that I'm pretty tolerant to lower settings and even sub-30 FPS performance. I'm just really lazy about rebuilding my whole setup to be honest. Whatever's not in the list I can reuse from the current build (case, HDDs, PSU - it's a good quality be quiet gold 650W, which should be enough even counting a bit of overhead, and it's new enough to still be in warranty).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor (277.08 @ Galaxus)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler (62.90 @ Galaxus)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (198.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (118.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (188.89 @ Galaxus)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING OC Rev 2.0 Video Card (436.68 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: 1282.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-25 12:02 CEST+0200

Some notes on specific parts:
- I don't plan on overclocking immediately, but the non-K version of the 12600 isn't notably enough cheaper so I'd rather take the 4 extra efficiency cores and keep the OC option open for the future when I start hitting the performance limit. All variants of 12700 are at least almost a hundred bucks more, so that doesn't seem worth it
- Similarly for the MB I'd like to keep the OC option rather than get a B660 which, on the whole, don't seem much cheaper anyway. Also this is one of the few ones that has 6 SATA ports (I have a bunch of HDDs...) and still has a PS/2 port for the old-rear end keyboard I'm too stubborn to replace because it still works. Unless there's something particularly wrong with the board, I don't think I see a better option for it
- CL16 on the memory is probably a not even noticeable performance difference, but the CL18 version is barely 5 bucks cheaper so whatever
- I don't have a particular reason for picking the SN570 instead of 550, except that at the time they were effectively identical in price so why not. I'll take a look at that when I actually buy this (probably around mid august) and change it to the 550 if there's a real price difference then
- My main priorities for the video card are low idle volume and at least 2 HDMI ports (all 3 of my monitors don't have DP, and most models of GPU seem to have 1HDMI/3DP nowadays...) so I'm already going to need at least one DP -> HDMI adapter and I'd like to keep that to a minimum. Other than that, I'm not married to the choice of GPU (though I have to admit to liking Nvidia with Shadowplay)
- I also don't really care about the cooler, except that again I'm trying to mostly minimize idle volume without going for anything particularly expensive/higher effort like watercooling

lih
May 15, 2013

The SN570 is substantially better than the SN550 and is definitely a recommended pick, even if the SN550 is cheaper - WD downgraded the SN550 a while ago and it's no longer good value at all.

The 3060 is not really ideal for 1440p if that's what you want to upgrade to in the future - it'd be better to go with a worse CPU (the 12400F or 5600) and put the savings towards a 3060 Ti over the 3060. Alternatively, the 6600 XT is generally cheaper and more powerful than the 3060 (though not that much better at 1440p), but your requirement for 2 HDMI ports might run into trouble actually achieving savings there - though it's still probably cheaper to settle for buying an extra adapter.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

FMchubs posted:

I've come up with a build and would really appreciate any input:

CPU: *Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($399.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($52.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Red Devil Video Card ($469.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.98 @ Amazon)

Looks like you got some good replies already, but I didnt see any comment on that CPU cooler. Maybe thats because its fine, but I just built a system with a 12600K and I upgraded from the hyper 212 to a scythe fuma (threads standard suggestion) on this threads advice. If youre going 12700K you might need a bigger cooler. Others here know way more than I do though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, don't use a hyper 212 on a 12700K, and especially don't pay $53 for one, considering it's not any better than all the $25 - $30 budget coolers available now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So if I'm not in absolutely dire need of a new desktop right this moment, do you ask think it's going to be worth it to wait for the AMD AM5 sockets and hope that the Ryzen 7000s actually have stock availability, or just get a known good 5600X now. Part of me thinks it would be nice to get in on the new socket so I can just spot upgrade the cpu in 5 years or so and be refreshed.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 25, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you dont need it now Id at least wait and see if the 7000 Ryzens are as good as AMD have been hyping.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Got my i5-12400/B660 upgrades in today. XMP profile clocked to 3200MHz no problem. Ran Prime95 Small FFTs for about an hour and temps stablized around 60-65C. CPU idles at like 28-32C :allears: This Thermalright cooler is my first tower cooler; thing is legit. Super quiet after setting up custom curves.

Unfortunately after running the Heaven benchmark for a bit, sounds like the fan on my 2-year old Corsair SF600 Gold PSU is on its way out? Here's a short video of the noise. I've literally never heard the fan on my PSU until today while running the Heaven benchmark for like an hour or so, and was never sure if the fan was ever running since its a zero RPM Fan Mode enabled unit. Blew out the dust to see if that would help, and nope.

Submitted an RMA ticket to Corsair :( Do they do advance RMAs? I'd like to just swap in a new unit since I'm assuming they'll just ask for the brick and not cables (oh god please not the cables, I've already routed and tied them off inside my Lian-Li TU150).

[edit] Friend is gonna mod my PSU with a Noctua fan :dance:

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 26, 2022

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Is RAM compatibility still a thing for ddr4? Can I just buy some 3600 and assume I'll have little problem getting xmp to work? I know I had to do a bunch of bios upgrades on this board(i'm to lazy to look up the model for it) to get the ram's profile to work. It was not listed on the board's compatibility and presumably still isn't.

e: I got a new board, msi z690-A pro, that I'm buying ram for to clarify any confusion.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 26, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

For what it's worth, the RAM I got wasn't listed on my motherboard's (ASRock B660M-ITX) QVL and I was able to set the XMP profile no problem to run the modules at 3200MHz. Worked right out of the box. I feel like it's less of an issue with Intel? I always had a hell of a time getting RAM to run at its rated XMP speed with Ryzen builds if they were non-QVL modules.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There shouldn't be any problem, especially if you're getting a K SKU. I've heard that non-K CPUs have locked voltages and may not always take to 3600 well, though I've yet to see anyone actually report any incompatibilities with that RAM speed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

there were early reports about how good the 12400 is with memory overclocking (to anything faster than the officially supported 3200 MHz) but then it turned out to just be a chip lottery as to whether >3200 is achievable at all for non-K CPUs iirc