Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I was pretty sick a couple of days ago and looking for youtube videos to distract myself with, stumbled across this stream of a guy playing on some vanguard emu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsNmbHcA1KM

i vaguely remember him ranting about how much work they've pumped into the project recently but I didn't retain any important details because I had an insane fever the entire time so the only things I remember are "lots of work has gone into this" and "there is a cave full of giant ants"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The intro of newbie island took so much from the game. Racial starting areas own. I spent so much time in the half giant starting area doing diplomacy and learning the lore. The halfling start area oozed with charm. The dwarf and elf areas were great also. Such wasted potential. When those starter zones are basically empty though I suppose there’s no choice but to implement a tutorial area. EQ did it too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Did Vanguard even offer the chance to start in the original towns, or did the addition of newbie island remove the choice completely? That's pretty sad if so.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

LuckyCat posted:

The intro of newbie island took so much from the game. Racial starting areas own. I spent so much time in the half giant starting area doing diplomacy and learning the lore. The halfling start area oozed with charm. The dwarf and elf areas were great also. Such wasted potential. When those starter zones are basically empty though I suppose there’s no choice but to implement a tutorial area. EQ did it too.

I loved the vulmane and orc/gobbie starting areas for the lore and ambience they had.

The starter island was a necessity both for population and itemization reasons. Not just low population but just being so far spread out from each other hurt grouping in racial starting areas. I remember at launch trying to run from one side of Thestra to the other to group with a friend and just couldn’t do it. Even once the riftways were added, the racial starting areas were still a jaunt away which was hard for a lowbie toon with no mount. You pretty much had to roll a race in that starting area to group up.

And itemization was crummy and never got updated in those starter areas. Even if you didn’t do the whole story on the newbie island, you’d end up with every equipment slot filled, but the racial areas were a major mixed bag. My first toon at launch had empty mask and jewelry slots until he was about level 17. At least some of the level 10+ areas also got a re-itemization after Isle of Dawn was released to help smooth over the transition to old content.

Node posted:

Did Vanguard even offer the chance to start in the original towns, or did the addition of newbie island remove the choice completely? That's pretty sad if so.

At character creation you could pick the starter island or the racial starting area. And if you picked the starter island, you could visit the racial starting area later (though you’d be over leveled). However, the starter island was only accessible if you started there and could never be revisited once you left.

ZixTheYeti fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 26, 2022

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
lmao cohh in sunk cost fallacy 😓

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 28, 2022

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Crowdfunding Disappointment Addiction is a serious problem.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

30.5 Days posted:

Crowdfunding Disappointment Addiction is a serious problem.

At the time couwdfunding was popular it was stupidly costly to build an MMO and that price is only going up, not down. The days of pumping out a new ultima engine, enough pixel art to make a world, and get said actully played (other then some super retro call back) all on a 20 man team are long gone.

The other side of the coin is that you had 20+ years of board game and RPG players who were lots and lots of mini communities with lots of independent ideas going left and right who all came of age in the 90s and early 2000s who wanted to make digital versions of the long worked on ideas aka "The Vision" (TM).

The up and coming people have not had the community or breeding ground for new ideas like we've had in the past, instead the field is getting dominated by old guard and a few celebs. This is a sad thing for all of us and most of us look forward to when it gets fixed when cost to create MMOs comes down.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

PyRosflam posted:

The other side of the coin is that you had 20+ years of board game and RPG players who were lots and lots of mini communities with lots of independent ideas going left and right who all came of age in the 90s and early 2000s who wanted to make digital versions of the long worked on ideas aka "The Vision" (TM).

Crowdfunding poo poo aside this pains me to my core. I'm just thankful people like Ohlen and Metzen have moved on to do it again (we'll see if anyone picks their IPs up in the future I guess- Or if that's even the purpose for them?) New MMORPGs are sorely lacking in attention to detail and games like Ashes of Creation is looking bland as gently caress in a lore creativity/aesthetic sense. That game is going to disappoint so many people (mainstream MMO refugees) who are expecting it to be something else.

https://warchiefgaming.com/

https://www.arcanumworlds.com/

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 30, 2022

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i'd reckon this is half rose-tinted glasses and half genuine goodness, but i feel like older MMOs oozed with world lore that were strongly reminiscent of the best fantasy novels - building a world that feels like it's seen the ages go by and been lived in by various peoples and creatures.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

cmdrk posted:

i'd reckon this is half rose-tinted glasses and half genuine goodness, but i feel like older MMOs oozed with world lore that were strongly reminiscent of the best fantasy novels - building a world that feels like it's seen the ages go by and been lived in by various peoples and creatures.

Classic EQ lore was half based on an earlier MUD and half written by the gamers. But the first game made no attempt to say anything but here is a sandbox with levels and dragons and dungeons go have fun. Kunark just went BIG on crazy lore. Never told you the lore directly but instead put it in the various uber quests (VP key). kind of cool as hell stuff kept going till POP when I think the players took on the big damm hero trope.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Base game lore was good insofar as the pieces of the world felt fleshed out. There was cool intrigue and there were interesting things going on between conflicting groups. But PyRosflam is totally right that it wasn't super in depth. I think part of that is the base game was so large that it was tough to make it feel deep or interconnected. I also don't think it would be winning any literary awards though.

Kunark was pretty amazing. Everything about the dragons, shissar, iksar, and sarnak felt really deep and intertwined. Every zone you stepped into had a story behind it, and that story only happened because of poo poo that went down way back in history. Velious lore had cool parts, but it always boiled down to dwarves vs giants vs dragons.

Luclin lore is batshit insane. And I'm not talking about just the katta/seru poo poo, the vah shir getting exploded onto the moon, the shissar, the grimlings, or the moon civil war. An old guild mate of mine put in serious work deciphering the akhevan language, which was fully formed and made by a linguist. The little brainy alien dudes even speak a bastardized language that is it's own dialect. Problem was it was too tough to unravel until they released PoP and two akhevans in PoJ acted like Rosetta Stone.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A classic example of what makes/made EQ different intrigue-wise was Fippy Darkpaw eternally storming the gates of Qeynos. Just little touches of flavor.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I loved the various tribes of Iksar. The kunzar, jarsath, obulus, etc. Totally missable until you start doing key quests, etc. Gives some backstory to stuff like the Kunzar Cloak, Jarsath Scale armor, the Obulus Death Shroud, etc.

I spent a great deal of time yesterday reading about the Kedge, wondering how Phinigel became the last of them and what the hell happened to them.

The epic quests added a lot of great lore too, the Wizard epic was memorable for the story of four particularly powerful wizards sworn to Solusek Ro getting some badass staves from the God himself. Unfortunately their hubris got the best of them, and when they became too cocky ol Solusek took their powers at the worst possible times, including dropping one in the drink over Dagnors Cauldron :lol:

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 31, 2022

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I loved EQ lore to a point. PoP I guess. Did anything ever come of Gates of Discord/Taelosia lore? Curious if it ever fit in, if it was swept under the rug, if they revisited it in EQ2...

days later edit: did some googling and apparently in EQ2 Mayong Mistmoore wandered in, beat everyone up, and plopped a vampire mansion and/or castle in the middle of the continent. It's the setting of the latest expansion.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 15, 2022

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Sachant posted:

Slower. The latest monk video was pretty rotation-based. FWIW I'm much more interested in M&M and ECO though than Pantheon, in large part for that reason.

Thanks for bringing these up... It's really cool to see this style of indie MMOs. Will keep an eye on both.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I just want to bump this so everyone can see how far along the game is so you can all eat your words!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oR-3ev778Y

game looks like it's still 3+ years away

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
If you were given a summer project by your professor at school to make an RPG, how long would it take to create something that looks better than Pantheon? Let's say you could use Unreal 4 with free assets only.

Obviously the netcode and servers are the big thing in an MMO, but I just feel like they could have made the game better by using a pre-built engine. Unless I'm missing something and their game has unique requirements like "we need to make sure our game looks like Everquest 2, but in 2023."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I have no game dev experience.

But I think if I set out to make an MMO, in 8 years (I think that's how long ago this game was announced) I could create an MMO in Unity where you could log in to a start zone create a character, kill some mobs, loot em, etc. which is basically what they have accomplished lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This project is living entirely off hopes and dreams only lol.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I believe project gorgon was released by this point with two (2) people working on it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

I believe project gorgon was released by this point with two (2) people working on it

Its still Early Access, but you can actually play it and its updated constantly.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

Obviously the netcode and servers are the big thing in an MMO, but I just feel like they could have made the game better by using a pre-built engine.

Pantheon uses Unity FWIW.

EDIT: Still looks bad though.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 30, 2023

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Ah, so this is an artistic choice?

I see.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cardboard Fox posted:

I see.

Unreal Tournament is shaping up to be a monster.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even is that beholder is blind af.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Node posted:

Unreal Tournament is shaping up to be a monster.

Yes! This is a real in-game screenshot!

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Ehud posted:

I have no game dev experience.

But I think if I set out to make an MMO, in 8 years (I think that's how long ago this game was announced) I could create an MMO in Unity where you could log in to a start zone create a character, kill some mobs, loot em, etc. which is basically what they have accomplished lol

The real magic is the Netcode. No one has released anything with good netcode and real support. Ya random wow copies of server code exist, but no one wants to use WOWs engine from 2005. Turbine back in the day tried and got something kind of working, but DDO for example still has all kinds of weird jank. WoW, Amazon, and Square have the money, and Square put in a fairly noticeable lag into FFXIV. Wildstar I think stole the a netcode guy from WoW.

Heck the fighting game community is moving to save states and rewind to account for network jitter, this of course wont work on an MMO. Unreal and Unity are built for a range of like 4 to 16 clients. A few teams push it to 100 with major changes. If your going to 1000+ your now in a dark art known by a few dudes in Nebraska.

When some studio like Epic feels netcode is important to scale to 100+ or if Amazon releases New World's engine for others to make games you might see this get fixed. So far no one big enough sees selling an MMO engine as a money maker.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

I see.

I know this is objectively garbage but it speaks to the exact kind of pathology I have where a low-poly barbarian in stupid gloves wielding something that is either a club or a big shank of meat is just exactly my poo poo

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

PyRosflam posted:

The real magic is the Netcode. No one has released anything with good netcode and real support. Ya random wow copies of server code exist, but no one wants to use WOWs engine from 2005. Turbine back in the day tried and got something kind of working, but DDO for example still has all kinds of weird jank. WoW, Amazon, and Square have the money, and Square put in a fairly noticeable lag into FFXIV. Wildstar I think stole the a netcode guy from WoW.

Heck the fighting game community is moving to save states and rewind to account for network jitter, this of course wont work on an MMO. Unreal and Unity are built for a range of like 4 to 16 clients. A few teams push it to 100 with major changes. If your going to 1000+ your now in a dark art known by a few dudes in Nebraska.

When some studio like Epic feels netcode is important to scale to 100+ or if Amazon releases New World's engine for others to make games you might see this get fixed. So far no one big enough sees selling an MMO engine as a money maker.

turbines netcode was always hilariously bad, or at least it's integration with their game engine was. but all of their games suffered terribly from jank rear end poo poo with movement and combat

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Considering this game was originally pitched as a classic EQ successor and still claims to be trying to do that, I can't imagine that the biggest hurdle is replicating netcode sufficient for combat and movement mechanics that worked on dial-up.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't wait to be in a guild with all of you.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

I'm looking forward to it too!

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Sachant posted:

Considering this game was originally pitched as a classic EQ successor and still claims to be trying to do that, I can't imagine that the biggest hurdle is replicating netcode sufficient for combat and movement mechanics that worked on dial-up.

Oddly, they might be more successful using classic EQ netcode.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I’ll play the role of someone who levels more slowly than everyone else and is too shy to participate in guild groups. Everyone has to contribute somehow.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

LuckyCat posted:

I’ll play the role of someone who levels more slowly than everyone else and is too shy to participate in guild groups. Everyone has to contribute somehow.

I'll log in the first week and be very excited to meet everyone and do all this cool content with you all, then never log in again. A week later I'll go to the forum and complain that developers just don't make good MMOs anymore.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I’ll ninja loot and then disband from guild. Nothing personal just playing my part.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
Ill complain that my chosen class is to weak at every pass I get, but refuse to change to a more competitive class.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

PyRosflam posted:

Ill complain that my chosen class is to weak at every pass I get, but refuse to change to a more competitive class.

You're just waiting for your Kunark, we get it.

I'm gonna bask in drama as I spend more time leveling up as a forums warrior than I do in the game.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
God what have they been doing for years when it looks like THAT? I can't imagine how they got funding other than some form of tax scam or laundering, Someone with a sizeable amount of money presumably look at what they had done over the half-decade and went "Yes, this is worth it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Cohh carnage invested in it so theres some of their funding money.

Anyways, whales in the pre-alpha whats it like so far?