Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

silence_kit posted:

Lol yes a woman who has spent most of her career working to improve the screening and treatment of HIV/AIDS is a homophobe

There was no reason for her to say that gay people gave the children a disease. All that does is make gay men look dangerous. If she's not actively trying to spread gay panic then she should absolutely not be involved at all in public messaging. If your feeling that in her heart of hearts she is a good person who loves gay people is true, then she should immediately apologize and stop appearing on TV talking about monkey pox. If not resign outright.

Twincityhacker posted:

The issues with 99% of the cases being queer people is that if you are not a man who has sex with men it's *very difficult* to get a test.

Which lends significant credence to the idea that a lot more than 1% of the cases aren't gay men. We just don't know about them because of the government's focus on the man sex community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Satanic Panic 2.0 here we go! :smith:

People are gonna get hurt when their kid comes home from school with this, the right has been labeling teachers as "groomers" for over a year for crying out loud.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/07/23/monkeypox-who-global-emergency/

quote:

Tedros said that one of the reasons he moved to declare a global health emergency is the potential for stanching the outbreak, which is overwhelmingly concentrated in men who have sex with men.

“That means that this is an outbreak that can be stopped with the right strategies in the right groups,” Tedros said.

The WHO director general emphasized that any containment measures should respect the “human rights and dignity” of gay and bisexual men.

“Stigma and discrimination can be as dangerous as any virus,” Tedros said.

WHO officials also said higher rates of “health-seeking behavior” among gay and bisexual men and a culture of public health in the community shaped by the AIDS crisis can help end the outbreak.

It's not just Walensky's comments that suck. "Hey gay people just stop having sex that will stop everything!" :rolleyes:

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
The biggest issue with the CDC is that they've more or less proven that they're not equipped to function as a medically honest authority when faced with the economic realities of this hellhole country. In the interview Dr. Walensky has with Dan Diamond, there are several occasions where she does political non-answers instead of medically authoritative ones because she's covering for the bad messaging that the organization she's the mouthpiece of has been forced to put out.

I don't know how much of it is from outside pressures like the Delta CEO and the government demanding blood sacrifice in the name of The Number, but it's definitely a factor. Dr. Walensky came from the clinical care side of medicine (like working with patients directly) so her mealy-mouthed politese isn't fluent and you can see she's struggling with wanting to say "you fuckwits, wear a goddamn mask" but instead she's forced to say things like

Dr Walensky posted:

"Yeah, I mean, this is a challenging situation, because while we are tired, the virus is not yet tired of us. And so we have to take the precautions that are necessary, such that we can protect ourselves and our loved ones from severe disease, hospitalization, and death. So, while I would say--what I would say is the best protection you can get right now is to make sure that you’re up to date on your vaccination. That is not a huge effort. There’s vaccines all over the country, and easily accessible vaccines. So, you can really protect yourself from severe disease by just getting up to date on your vaccines. If you are living in an area that has high community transmission of disease, we really do suggest that you wear a mask. But if you decide not to wear that mask, you are pretty well protected against severe disease if you’re up to date on your vaccination. And what I would say is, even if you’re wanting to be more relaxed about these measures, one thing you may want to do is if you’re going to visit somebody who is at high risk of severe disease--a loved one who’s immunocompromised, an elderly person--you may really want to test before you go ahead and make that visit."

Ultimately this is more the result of regulatory capture than anything else. The CDC can't dictate that people do things because a large chunk of the country are violent gun weirds, and the people in charge won't allow The Number to go down. So it has bad messaging because its function is at odds with its purpose.

Twincityhacker posted:

The issues with 99% of the cases being queer people is that if you are not a man who has sex with men it's *very difficult* to get a test.

This is also a good point.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah it's got to be systemic bias in the medical field. There is absolutely no possible way that a disease could disproportionately affect gay men. To even THINK that is hateful, and bigoted.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

silence_kit posted:

Yeah it's got to be systemic bias in the medical field. There is absolutely no possible way that a disease could disproportionately affect gay men. To even THINK that is hateful, and bigoted.

Do you think it's spread by colored handkerchiefs?

What exactly do you think the connection is?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah, the so-called experts at the CDC and the WHO need to take a few lessons in statistics. Confirmation bias much??? smh

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

Do you think it's spread by colored handkerchiefs?

What exactly do you think the connection is?

Right now, it's because the disease is in the relatively early stages of spreading and the initial population exposed to it were gay men. It requires extended prolonged skin to skin contact and doesn't typically break out in sores outside of the impacted area. So, since it is in the early stages of the outbreak and requires prolonged exposure to the affected area (usually the crotch region), there's not a ton of people who would be spending prolonged time near someone else's crotch except a sex partner. If you're gay, then your sex partners are going to be another gay male 99.9% of the time. The other common way is to share a bed, clothes, towels, etc. If you live with someone, share a bed/clothes/towels, and spend large amounts of time together, then they are probably a partner/spouse (insert 1980's standup joke about how being married means you don't have a sex partner).

It's just the early stages of the outbreak and coincidental demographics. If/when it becomes more widespread, then you're probably going to see more sores outside of the crotch region, more women with it, etc. Same reason why insular communities like the amish or ultra-orthodox jews often have communicable diseases that stay exclusively in their community for a while before a larger scale spread. Although, the amish and orthodox examples are also because of a lack of vaccination for diseases that most people are required to be vaccinated for to go to public school.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 26, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, the so-called experts at the CDC and the WHO need to take a few lessons in statistics. Confirmation bias much??? smh

Oh we're doin this? OK then I'll do mine: "The medical field, famously free of systemic bias. :rolleyes: Has anyone considered that actually black poeple don't feel pain :colbert:"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Right now, it's because the disease is in the relatively early stages of spreading and the initial population exposed to it were gay men. It requires extended prolonged skin to skin contact and doesn't typically break out in sores outside of the impacted area. So, since it is in the early stages of the outbreak and requires prolonged exposure to the affected area (usually the crotch region), there's not a ton of people who would be spending prolonged time near someone else's crotch except a sex partner. If you're gay, then your sex partners are going to be another gay male 99.9% of the time. The other common way is to share a bed, clothes, towels, etc. If you live with someone, share a bed/clothes/towels, and spend large amounts of time together, then they are probably a partner/spouse (insert 1980's standup joke about how being married means you don't have a sex partner).

It's just the early stages of the outbreak and coincidental demographics. If/when it becomes more widespread, then you're probably going to see more sores outside of the crotch region, more women with it, etc. Same reason why insular communities like the amish or ultra-orthodox jews often have communicable diseases that stay exclusively in their community for a while before a larger scale spread. Although, the amish and orthodox examples are also because of a lack of vaccination for diseases that most people are required to be vaccinated for to go to public school.

Case in point. It's not specific to gay sex or gayness in general. It happens to be spreading in a community. That's why it behooves public health messaging to be very careful when talking about it, or people start assuming it's inherent to the community.

BTW, men who have sex with men isn't a group that only has sex with men. Bisexuality exists and is often not spoken of truthfully by men. But as others have pointed out, testing seems to be almost exclusively self-identified gay men.

edit: That's why the term "men who have sex with men" is used and not gay, but you switched back to "gay" in your post which leads to a misunderstanding on your part of who has sex with whom.

These details matter, that's why messaging is important and that's why people have issues with the CDC on this.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 26, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

silence_kit posted:

are you under the impression that the children in question got it through gay sex, or what

you kinda lost the plot here

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
jaxyon, you're missing the point with that: men who have sex with men doesn't refer to orientation as in gay or bisexual, it's specifically orientation agnostic because there are a lot of reasons people have sex with men beyond sexual desire

If you're gay, then your sex partners are going to be another gay male 99.9% of the time.

This is definitely not accurate.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 26, 2022

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

From the WHO
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/monkeypox

quote:

the skin eruption usually begins within 1–3 days of appearance of fever. The rash tends to be more concentrated on the face and extremities rather than on the trunk. It affects the face (in 95% of cases), and palms of the hands and soles of the feet (in 75% of cases). Also affected are oral mucous membranes (in 70% of cases), genitalia (30%), and conjunctivae (20%), as well as the cornea. The rash evolves sequentially from macules (lesions with a flat base) to papules (slightly raised firm lesions), vesicles (lesions filled with clear fluid), pustules (lesions filled with yellowish fluid), and crusts which dry up and fall off. The number of lesions varies from a few to several thousand. In severe cases, lesions can coalesce until large sections of skin slough off.

so no, not usually the crotch region

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

That's for monkeypox in general. The current outbreak is a strain that is almost universally causing outbreaks in the genital or anal regions.

quote:

A new study published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases found that the clinical profile in recent monkeypox cases is different than in past events, with fatigue and fever less common and genital skin lesions more likely.

quote:

All patients presented with skin lesions, of which 51 (94%) were anogenital.

quote:

Almost all (49/52) patients presented with lesions and rashes on their genitals or anal regions. Only five patients required hospitalization, and no one died. One-quarter of the patients also were diagnosed with another sexually transmitted infection at the same time as monkeypox.

"The commonly observed symptom of skin lesions in the anal and penile areas, and the fact that a quarter of the patients tested positive for gonorrhoea or chlamydia at the same time as the monkeypox infection, suggests that transmission of the monkeypox virus in this cohort is occurring from close skin-to-skin, for example in the context of sexual activity," said Ruth Byrne, MD, from the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, in a press release on the study.

Study authors also suggested that the primary symptom of genital rashes should be added to case definitions of monkeypox to more accurately identify symptomatic individuals.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/07/study-monkeypox-outbreak-shows-differing-symptoms

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(22)00411-X/fulltext

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I wasn't being literal with 99%, but I decided to look it up. The actual values for men who identify as gay are: 2% say they have had sex with both genders in the last year and 3% say they have only had sex with a woman in the last year.

https://contexts.org/blog/sexual-orientation-versus-behavior-different-for-men-and-women/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

None of this explains why Walensky felt the need to say that the children got the disease from gay men. And don't say she didn't say that, she said men who have sex with men. 98% of the general public interpret that as just meaning gay. And if she doesn't know that, she definitely should not have a job communicating with the public.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Gripweed posted:

None of this explains why Walensky felt the need to say that the children got the disease from gay men. And don't say she didn't say that, she said men who have sex with men. 98% of the general public interpret that as just meaning gay. And if she doesn't know that, she definitely should not have a job communicating with the public.

What would you have her say instead? If a group is being disproportionally impacted, I'd think telling them would be a good thing?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Gros Tarla posted:

What would you have her say instead? If a group is being disproportionally impacted, I'd think telling them would be a good thing?

Do not in any way, shape, or form, say that two children got the infection from MSM. Do not say it on live television, do not say it off the cuff. There is no world in which saying "MSM gave kids this infection" will do anything but inspire frothing hatred against queer people in general.

Leon, I am telling you this with sincerely good intentions: You are out of pocket on talking about this stuff. You are clearly not a queer person and your privilege is blinding you to extremely dangerous consequences that queer people are likely to face due to egregiously negligent messaging. Please take a step back and leave the conversation to those who will bear the brunt of those consequences.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 26, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
^^^^^ LEON READ THIS

jaxyon, you're missing the point with that: men who have sex with men doesn't refer to orientation as in gay or bisexual, it's specifically orientation agnostic because there are a lot of reasons people have sex with men beyond sexual desire

What point am I missing I'm making the same one you are

I wasn't being literal with 99%, but I decided to look it up. The actual values for men who identify as gay are: 2% say they have had sex with both genders in the last year and 3% say they have only had sex with a woman in the last year.

https://contexts.org/blog/sexual-orientation-versus-behavior-different-for-men-and-women/

We are talking men who have sex with men, not gay men. And that includes a lot of closeted bi and straight men.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

We are talking men who have sex with men, not gay men. And that includes a lot of closeted bi and straight men.

I know, regarding monkeypox, but the original quote was about what percentage of gay men specifically say they have slept with a woman. I just wanted to correct myself because I offhandedly used a number and wanted to put the specific number in there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Vince McMahon's sudden retirement from the WWE was prompted by a federal investigation into hush money payments and sexual abuse of staff.

The company also falsified financial documents to investors to hide that they had spent millions of dollars in company money to pay out hush money.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1551764259624845315

quote:

New federal investigations into the deepening hush-money scandal enveloping World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. hastened the retirement of its chief executive, Vince McMahon, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Securities and Exchange Commission and federal prosecutors have launched inquiries into payments made by Mr. McMahon to settle allegations of sexual misconduct, the people said. The media company said Monday that it has received “regulatory, investigative and enforcement inquiries, subpoenas or demands” in connection with millions of dollars in hush-money pacts.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Absolutely poo poo probation that reinforces existing oppressive power structures Koos.

And you can probate me for saying so.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vince McMahon's sudden retirement from the WWE was prompted by a federal investigation into hush money payments and sexual abuse of staff.

The company also falsified financial documents to investors to hide that they had spent millions of dollars in company money to pay out hush money.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1551764259624845315

I believe technically what happened isn't that they falsified documents but that Vince did this and never put it on the books and now they need to adjust their books and have McMahon pay it back to the company.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

I believe technically what happened isn't that they falsified documents but that Vince did this and never put it on the books and now they need to adjust their books and have McMahon pay it back to the company.

They "misclassified" the expenditures in filings with the SEC and investors. So, they were recorded, on the books, and made with company money (although, Vince owns 36% of the company and his family owns other large chunks, so a lot of that company money is indirectly their own money.)

quote:

In an SEC filing, the company said that the $14.6 million was classified as “unrecorded expenses."

quote:

In June, The Wall Street Journal first reported that WWE’s board was investigating McMahon after they received an anonymous tip via email that he had paid a $3 million hush money settlement to a former employee with whom he had an affair.

The email said that he had hired the woman as a paralegal to a $100,000 salary, and doubled it after the affair began. Then, the email said, McMahon “gave her like a toy” to longtime WWE executive John Laurinaitis.

The Wall Street Journal later reported that it had been discovered that McMahon had paid a total of $12 million, over the course of at least 16 years, to four different women with whom he had sexual relationships.

One of the women, a former wrestler, had alleged in 2018 that years back McMahon had coerced her into oral sex. McMahon had been accused of demoting the wrestler when she ended the relationship, and not renewing her contract when it came up.

“All payments underlying the Unrecorded Expenses were or will be paid by Vince McMahon personally,” WWE said in the filing.

The company added that it “has also received, and may receive in the future, regulatory, investigative and enforcement inquiries, subpoenas or demands arising from, related to, or in connection with these matters.”

WWE has launched its own internal investigation into the matter. In its SEC filing, it said that the probe will likely conclude that its “internal control over financial reporting was not effective as a result of one or more material weaknesses.”

McMahon is WWE’s largest shareholder. He owns a 32% stake in the company.

lol at the bolded statement. Hmm... I guess it is possible that allowing $14.6 million in hush money payments over 20 years may qualify as a material weakness in our reporting structure.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/25/wwe-boss-vince-mcmahon-paid-women-14-6m-to-settle-claims/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 26, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

During the early 90's, I was amazed that Vince McMahon and Donald Trump managed to stay in the public eye and been seen as incredible business prodigies, despite failing everything they did.

If History repeats itself, then we'll have President McMahon trying to reimplement prima nocturne via executive order in 2025.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

A big flaming stink posted:

Do not in any way, shape, or form, say that two children got the infection from MSM. Do not say it on live television, do not say it off the cuff. There is no world in which saying "MSM gave kids this infection" will do anything but inspire frothing hatred against queer people in general.

Leon, I am telling you this with sincerely good intentions: You are out of pocket on talking about this stuff. You are clearly not a queer person and your privilege is blinding you to extremely dangerous consequences that queer people are likely to face due to egregiously negligent messaging. Please take a step back and leave the conversation to those who will bear the brunt of those consequences.

This is a poo poo probe

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

The messaging of this prove is so bad it might as well have come from Walensky herself.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

theCalamity posted:

This is a poo poo probe

Yes, I've been speaking to flaming stink in private and now believe I should have hashed it out in the thread rather than a probo. The reason for it is that poster personalities are de-emphasized in D&D and we shouldn't tell anyone not to participate in a discussion. Miss stink has clarified what she intended and asked me to post it, which was to communicate the gravity of the arguments Leon was making, which she believes are supporting rhetoric that can lead to dead queer people. She felt the best way to make Leon understand was to ask him to stop posting for a moment and consider.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:dafuq:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Boredom for instance. Or to win a bet.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I can't speak for what "lots of reasons" Herstory meant but there's also coercion/nonconsensual sex.

edit: also sex workers.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 26, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sometimes you have to do it for the 'gram

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If History repeats itself, then we'll have President McMahon trying to reimplement prima nocturne via executive order in 2025.

You know that "prima nocturne" wasn't a thing, right

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rappaport posted:

You know that "prima nocturne" wasn't a thing, right
"Prima nocturne" is like five separate layers of a pseudohistorical game of telephone.

The myth that there was, at some indistinct historical moment in some indistinct geographical location, the custom that a lord could claim the first night with a newlywed bride, is in pop history usually identified as "prima nocta" or occasionally "prima noctae". In addition to being fictional, this is bad Latin. The "real" Latin term is "primae noctis" (or "ius primae noctis"), but that's a made-up ~18th Century Latin term for the Enlightenment-era French belief in the droit de cuissage ("right of the thigh"), which in turn was basically just the result of Enlightenment historians reading poo poo a couple medieval writers made up to accuse people they didn't like—sometimes real, sometimes fictitious people who existed just to be illustrations of bad conduct—and taking these centuries-old shitposts at face value.

So not only is it basically something that later writers made up, like the iron maiden, to impute moral degeneracy to medieval society, "prima nocturne" is a misquote of a misquote of a translation of a made-up term for a misinterpretation of a lie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Starting to think that Braveheart wasn't a historically accurate account of the life of William Wallace

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

people exchanging sex for money/housing/other needs

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

people exchanging sex for money/housing/other needs

Yes, this was a very ugly and common thing in the early days of the pandemic when those who didn't have jobs that allowed them to work from home were basically cut off financially:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/landlords-are-targeting-vulnerable-tenants-solicit-sex-exchange-rent-advocates-n1186416

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fritz the Horse posted:

I can't speak for what "lots of reasons" Herstory meant but there's also coercion/nonconsensual sex.

edit: also sex workers.

The government counts rape victims as part of the "men who have sex with men community"?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Failed Imagineer posted:

Starting to think that Braveheart wasn't a historically accurate account of the life of William Wallace

He had an Australian/Scottish hybrid accent in real life though, right?

And Sir William Wallace, son of Sir Malcolm Wallace, who was a vassal to the Lord of Scotland was a weird peasant man who lived in a hut and wore furs and leathers into battle, right?

Braveheart wouldn't lie to me that badly, right?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

And Sir William Wallace, son of Sir Malcolm Wallace, who was a vassal to the Lord of Scotland was a weird peasant man who lived in a hut and wore furs and leathers into battle, right?

Why do you hate our FREEEEEDDOMMMMs?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's a testament to the movie that it still owns despite being completely ahistorical nonsense. And it brought Brendan Gleeson to international attention so its unambiguously a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Holy poo poo. Not sure if this was posted before or not but....drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTNMTVsgAA