Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Nostradingus posted:

Similarly, people who use "language is fluid!" or "descriptive grammar!" to excuse their mistakes. Yes, a cul-de-sac is now officially a culdy sack because language is fluid, and not because you're too lazy to look up how to spell a word.

Language is fluid though. The older I get the more relaxed I am about these kinds of mistakes. We're seeing the language evolve in real-time, you can get pissed off by it or you can enjoy the spectacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I use capital letters because it’s Easier To Do than bolding when you type with one hand

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

I use capital letters because it’s Easier To Do than bolding when you type with one hand

We don't need to know about your cybering preferences.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nostradingus posted:

Similarly, people who use "language is fluid!" or "descriptive grammar!" to excuse their mistakes. Yes, a cul-de-sac is now officially a culdy sack because language is fluid, and not because you're too lazy to look up how to spell a word.

How do you think language changes? Give me a real answer. Do you think haitian kreyol is different and equally as valid as parisien french? Yes? Why? It’s the same the but drops grammar, incorporates some phonetic spellings, and uses haitian slang.

Culdy sack, much more useful to an anglo person who speaks no french, is bad because the spelling gods of 1674848!!!

gently caress that. Caring at all about spelling or accent is the mark of a smug elitist. And it’s extra funny when the person has no hope of pronouncing the real word but their local literary dialect has adopted it and that’s the really real real one.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Jul 22, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Just seething at the entire field of etymology

Every generation of word more deviant than the last, birthed from the combined laziness of human history

Truly Language Cop has forsaken this barren world

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Capitalizing each word in a phrase for emphasis does seem like it has its place, in that it has some nuances that just italics/all caps don't, at least how I read them--

1) Emphasizes each word individually, instead of as a whole -- it has a different reading pace.
2) Sounds/looks vaguely official, as if you're referring to something everyone knows or should know. It reads like a book title and carries that weight without having to actually be presented as one.
3) Not as 'shouty' as caps or emphatic as one-word-sentences and italics. It gets your attention without being pushy.

Of course this is for phrases, single words being capitalized just makes me think of dystopian YA novels. And if someone is capitalizing every word, well that just ruins the whole idea of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is why I only speak Proto-Indo-European

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is why I only speak Proto-Indo-European

Sem

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Culdy sack, much more useful to an anglo person who speaks no french, is bad because the spelling gods of 1674848!!!
It's actually bad because it looks like it's being pronounced wrong. dee instead of duh.

And I will never not be irritated by seeing "step foot" instead of "set foot" or "make due" instead of "make do". Those two are super common and incredibly aggravating to me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not a big fan of the '20s trend of customer service people responding to an answered question with “perfect”.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
I am doing onboarding for a new job, and I understand them wanting proof of college graduation/transcripts, but they are wanting me to prove I even graduated high school. I just threw my HS diploma in a storage box somewhere that now I get to spend the weekend rummaging through.

I mean its not a big deal cause I wasn't lying about finishing high school (my dad was school board prez and even gave me my diploma on stage!), but its the first time I've had an actual request for it. Are a lot of people lying about that nowadays to the point it needs verification now? Is this a new thing that all employers are asking for? Its residential counseling work so maybe the nature of the job makes that a thing to verify?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

It's actually bad because it looks like it's being pronounced wrong. dee instead of duh.

And I will never not be irritated by seeing "step foot" instead of "set foot" or "make due" instead of "make do". Those two are super common and incredibly aggravating to me.

"de" in french is not pronounced "duh" as in english, and you're just proving that anglos who don't speak french and especially can't pronounce french shouldn't try to sound "authentic"

Anglos pronouncing french anglily is great, anglos butchering french while trying to be "authentic" is godawful

It's pronounced "de." It's closer to a schwa but even closer to nothing than schwa, and gets dropped even in phrases not spelled with a "d' " eg "dla" poutine not "de la poutine"

It's a d and an e. Easy, if you speak it, but you don't, so shut up, just use your actual australian accent please. You're not helping francos you're just making anglos worse.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Jul 23, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"de" in french is not pronounced "duh" as in english, and you're just proving that anglos who don't speak french and especially can't pronounce french shouldn't try to sound "authentic"
I'm not trying to sound "authentic" or French. It's pronounced "kull-duh-sack" in English.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

just use your actual australian accent please.
I am. This is English we're talking about. I don't know why you're bringing French pronunciation into it at all since no one is talking about the French language here.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cull Deez sacks

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's "Culls Deez Sack"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
MS Teams is integrated really poorly with a Surface Pro running Windows 10.

When you're using it in tablet mode, the keyboard hides the actual message box you're typing in so you just gotta hope you're not making typos, and you can't react to people's messages properly (like a thumbs up or whatever) cos it will randomly select the wrong one so you look like a weirdo.

It's just really odd to me that Microsofts flagship app (these days) runs so poorly when using it on its flagship hardware using one of its flagship features.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

MS Teams is integrated really poorly with a Surface Pro running Windows 10.

When you're using it in tablet mode, the keyboard hides the actual message box you're typing in so you just gotta hope you're not making typos, and you can't react to people's messages properly (like a thumbs up or whatever) cos it will randomly select the wrong one so you look like a weirdo.

It's just really odd to me that Microsofts flagship app (these days) runs so poorly when using it on its flagship hardware using one of its flagship features.

It's similar with all the big companies. It's frustratingly clear that each department is totally separate and often in competition with each other that you don't get any of the synergy benefits that a huge monopoly promises.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

My employer (a public university) hired a consultant firm to recommend program changes. They, in complete sincerity, suggested that we should phase out traditional degrees and pivot to "micro credentialing" wherein students could pay for a few courses to earn a digital badge they could display on their social media profiles. The board actually seemed interested

Why is everything so goddamned stupid all the damned time

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Manager Hoyden posted:

My employer (a public university) hired a consultant firm to recommend program changes. They, in complete sincerity, suggested that we should phase out traditional degrees and pivot to "micro credentialing" wherein students could pay for a few courses to earn a digital badge they could display on their social media profiles. The board actually seemed interested

Why is everything so goddamned stupid all the damned time

I'm imagining the insufferable nature of a Twitter checkmark-haver but with a merit badge sash's worth of icons next to their name each assuring everyone they took a class once

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Makes me feel ancient

Asking for a resume is going to make me look like a boomer giving out their fax number

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Thinking about the sort of freaks who engage with the Linkedin news feed and how they would absolutely blast rope over having a million little course icons next to their name. I mean poo poo, when you get a degree you can only really make one or two Oscar acceptance speech posts about how meaningful it was to you, imagine if you could do that 4 times a semester.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

I am doing onboarding for a new job, and I understand them wanting proof of college graduation/transcripts, but they are wanting me to prove I even graduated high school. I just threw my HS diploma in a storage box somewhere that now I get to spend the weekend rummaging through.

I mean its not a big deal cause I wasn't lying about finishing high school (my dad was school board prez and even gave me my diploma on stage!), but its the first time I've had an actual request for it. Are a lot of people lying about that nowadays to the point it needs verification now? Is this a new thing that all employers are asking for? Its residential counseling work so maybe the nature of the job makes that a thing to verify?

Can you contact your school and have them send over a transcript or something? It's rather ridiculous for your job to ask you to furnish your actual diploma. Who the hell keeps that poo poo around and accessible?!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My pet peeve: People who don't loving create anything. I recently fell into a large group of friends, and they're all very nice, and we go out and do things, and I'm blessed that they're in my life. But I've known them for about a year, and I've come to realize that not a single loving thing they say is original. Every single thing they say is a catchphrase or a meme. They do not listen to any song that hasn't been featured in a Marvel movie or a TikTok. They only know television shows and movies that have been in clickbait articles or is trending on Twitter. It's frustrating to me because I didn't realize it at first. But lately I've been hearing people online or in movies say things, and I realize, hey that's the same thing my buddy says all the time. Or here's this song that another friend keeps talking about, he must really like it -- no, it was just trending on TikTok last week and he won't shut the gently caress up about it. Do any of my friends have interests of their own? Are they even capable of creating their own culture, their own jokes, enjoying things that haven't been previously enjoyed by influencers? It is frustrating and disheartening when I discover this catchphrase or thing that we've shared for a few months was never an invention of our own, but something a bunch of us saw in some trending YouTube clip and appropriated.

Kind of a dumb example, but I've been on a Kate Bush thing for a while now and have tried to get my friends to listen to her. They tried, and hated her, had absolutely zero loving interest. Then suddenly there's this Kate Bush explosion of popularity because a song was in a movie. Suddenly my stupid friends are loving Kate Bush and telling me how great she is. You loving assholes.

They're all nice people but they create nothing. They're just trending-media-regurgitators.

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jul 25, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Seems like you don't create anything either, you just want your friends that you hate to like things you do and not like things you don't. I can't believe those assholes didn't like the musician until she became famous and then they listened and liked her, real trash move of this large group of friends.

Peeve would make a lot more since if you were say, playing an instrument or modding a video game or directing a student film or anything but "liking things my friends don't like and some things they didn't even know about"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Kate Bush has been famous for, I think, the entirety of my life. She's not a newcomer to the scene, an old song just became trendy. And I like most things my friends like, that's not at all the issue. What frustrates me is not that they like or do not like similar things, it's that they don't make their own jokes, and their interests are defined by whatever is trending. They're just nice people who have zero interest in making or doing or saying anything that isn't just referencing someone or something that is popular and trending.

So, my peeve, people whose entire personalities are just a reflection of whatever is trending in social media.

I realize this makes me sound kind of snobby but I'm on somethingawful ffs

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Jul 25, 2022

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can't believe those assholes didn't like the musician until she became famous and then they listened and liked her, real trash move of this large group of friends.

Her first #1 hit was in 1978, she's had a forty-seven year long career. Loads of people grew up with her music, many of whom stayed fans, the peeve relates to a new generation who previously dismissed her music until it was in a popular media form that they watched.

credburn posted:

Kate Bush has been famous for, I think, the entirety of my life. She's not a newcomer to the scene, an old song just became trendy. And I like most things my friends like, that's not at all the issue. What frustrates me is not that they like or do not like similar things, it's that they don't make their own jokes, and their interests are defined by whatever is trending. They're just nice people who have zero interest in making or doing or saying anything that isn't just referencing someone or something that is popular and trending.

So, my peeve, people whose entire personalities are just a reflection of whatever is trending in social media.

I realize this makes me sound kind of snobby but I'm on somethingawful ffs

Just embrace the snobbery. Nothing wrong with wanting your acquaintances to have some depth to them.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Which media you consume doesn't make you interesting or deep at all hth

Also consuming the same media at a different time than other humans is not an accomplishment

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a friend group in high school where we created our own catch phrases and jokes. We would say cream ball and say nonsense words to each other like we knew what we were talking about.

We would create whole scenarios and bits about Chris walken cooking food for his cat.

It was fun but it was utter nonsense. Creating things from nothing is fine but also creating things inspired by other things is also valid.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

credburn posted:

My pet peeve: People who don't loving create anything. I recently fell into a large group of friends, and they're all very nice, and we go out and do things, and I'm blessed that they're in my life. But I've known them for about a year, and I've come to realize that not a single loving thing they say is original. Every single thing they say is a catchphrase or a meme. They do not listen to any song that hasn't been featured in a Marvel movie or a TikTok. They only know television shows and movies that have been in clickbait articles or is trending on Twitter. It's frustrating to me because I didn't realize it at first. But lately I've been hearing people online or in movies say things, and I realize, hey that's the same thing my buddy says all the time. Or here's this song that another friend keeps talking about, he must really like it -- no, it was just trending on TikTok last week and he won't shut the gently caress up about it. Do any of my friends have interests of their own? Are they even capable of creating their own culture, their own jokes, enjoying things that haven't been previously enjoyed by influencers? It is frustrating and disheartening when I discover this catchphrase or thing that we've shared for a few months was never an invention of our own, but something a bunch of us saw in some trending YouTube clip and appropriated.

Kind of a dumb example, but I've been on a Kate Bush thing for a while now and have tried to get my friends to listen to her. They tried, and hated her, had absolutely zero loving interest. Then suddenly there's this Kate Bush explosion of popularity because a song was in a movie. Suddenly my stupid friends are loving Kate Bush and telling me how great she is. You loving assholes.

They're all nice people but they create nothing. They're just trending-media-regurgitators.

Wow dang, grants on creating Kate Bush, absolute legend.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
edit: meh, I complain too much

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Jul 26, 2022

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I didn't know my pet peeve was people who get snobbish over the media other people consume but here we are.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Love to need to update a brand new controller so it stops opening the xbox menu every time I hit a button

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn posted:

Get better friends. Or be like me and have zero friends.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

oldpainless posted:

Get better friends. Or be like me and have zero friends.

You're deliberately setting these up now aren't you

More like oldfriendless

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

credburn posted:

It sounds like you don't create anything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They create tension

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
On one hand, passion is an attractive trait and even though I give minimal fucks about local theatre, Warhammer or motor racing (for example) it makes me happy they make my friends happy. Its also awesome to bond over a common interest. But also, some of the coolest, smartest, kindest people I know like lovely metal or reality TV or whatever.

So yeah, it's certainly nice to bond over guitar pick-ups or Dark Souls or Eastern European sci-fi or whatever, but I'd have zero friends if that's all I did. And I'd deserve it too.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My daughters baby monitor interferes with my Bluetooth headphones and makes them sound like poo poo. Wake up, drat you!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

How come, even if I have a convenient hook to hang my headphones on, I still just lay them on the desk in a big dumb heap? Why am I broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why can I never remember to turn my headphones off I type on my iPhone as the clicking noises come from across the room.