Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ryoga posted:

So according to a recent anniversary stream, an often asked question about the game's ending E was finally answered. Obviously ending spoilers ahead.

Yoko Taro specifically forbade the use of dummy data for the final shooter sequence at the end of the game for the players that help you when you die so many times. Instead they used the ending skip cheat immediately at launch to speedrun the devs to the end of the game and add a few legitimate player datas to the pot.

Not 100% sure if this is true or just marketing hype. Is there anyone who has done full playthrough of a completely offline unpatched version of the game to verify if the game just goes lol too bad?

I haven't, but I've heard horror stories from people who have. It's technically possible, but not something for anyone who values sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I think it makes sense. Otherwise, why would they have a cheat that takes you to the very end of the game where your data gets registered? It's useless to the player.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I figured that was the purpose of the cheat the moment it was discovered.
idk how they're gonna manage this when they go offline, especially since YT's response in the past was basically "lol". I'm sure fans will think of something.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

That sounds exactly like something yoko taro would do and if it's not true it's only because someone stopped him from doing it.

NO ONE STOPS :yokotaro:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ryoga posted:

Not 100% sure if this is true or just marketing hype. Is there anyone who has done full playthrough of a completely offline unpatched version of the game to verify if the game just goes lol too bad?

That was the fate of pirates at launch and basically yes lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can't justify spending $20 on an ice cube tray that only makes two cubes, but

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1527087017397350400?s=20&t=QPxxLZaK2U1y6oUfQSBDeg

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah but if you get 5 of them then you can make 10 cubes at a time AND you get free shipping! Think of the savings!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The only thing that stopped me from buying that was having to create an account on yet another merchant site.

Also, any updates wrt the sort of card games? The sequel landed with a lot less praise then the first.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pentyne posted:

The only thing that stopped me from buying that was having to create an account on yet another merchant site.

Also, any updates wrt the sort of card games? The sequel landed with a lot less praise then the first.

I've heard from the few people who seem to have played it that it was better than the first (I think I heard that it was more challenging and the story was better?), but I was so underwhelmed from the first one that I'm gonna need to hear a lot more hype before I play another one of these games unfortunately

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can't justify spending $20 on an ice cube tray that only makes two cubes, but

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1527087017397350400?s=20&t=QPxxLZaK2U1y6oUfQSBDeg

IMO you know you have properly internalised Nier when you find Emil's skull head adorable instead of upsettingly unsettling

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Automata coming to Switch in October

Announced in this morning's Direct.

edit:
https://twitter.com/NieR_JPN/status/1541793467428311042?s=20&t=ubCOxuW2nlHwE9KnMoE9IA

1080p docked
720p handheld
30fps

I'll believe it when I see it

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 28, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've been playing this and I gotta say the level curve on the side quests sure seems steep. A lot of the recent ones have been throwing level 35 enemies at my level 20 rear end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some of those are designed to not be done until uh later...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah it’s not immediately obvious when you accept the quest what level you need to be (at least I don’t think it is) but sometimes that’ll happen. If you hit a side quest that’s too high level, just put a pin in it and come back later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve been out of the loop for a while but has there been any news recently regarding a possible continuation of the Nier or Drakengard franchises out of curiosity?

Also do we have a release date for the Automata anime announced a little while back yet?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

It would have been helpful had I not stopped on the very main mission that unlocks fast travel to do all the side quests I could before moving on.

So much running back and forth….

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:aaaaa:

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1551601744827670528

people familiar with modding the game say this isn't possible using any public tools, so if it's a fake is an extremely elaborate one

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:tinfoil:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Copied City always did seem strangely short. If this some scrapped beta area then drat, I wish they would have put in the Ocarina of Time twisty hallway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m always suspicious of videos that cut off just as things might actually get interesting.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I don't see how it could not be fake - how would dataminers not know about the room? Even if nobody knew how to access it or thought it had been dummied out I don't see how nobody would have found it in the first place. Plus the pretty textbook "oops how did this get here I am not good with computer" stuff and failure to answer any questions, which is pretty common for this kind of high-effort fake where they can only show the one clip and nothing more.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

I’m always suspicious of videos that cut off just as things might actually get interesting.
yeah the weirder part is that there's two videos on getting the door to open along with a screenshot a month ago

kinda weird to dole out bait that far between without more of a fleshed out account, and it's way too straightforward (door -> ladder -> hallway -> bare church) yet complex (all the enemies functioning right, dynamic soundtrack, animations, physics, etc) that makes this really unlikely to be an elaborate hoax

we'll get some answer soon given the hints so far are ps4 1.0.0 and the copied city, not a lot of room to hide there if it's a trigger method the game otherwise avoids (thus everyone ripping the game apart missing it compared to other cut content)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It seems suspicious, and I don't have the technical skills to figure out any of this myself, but from the way people are talking about it in that twitter thread, it sounds like the game has pretty limited mod tools, so even if it is a fake that's pretty cool too

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think this is a teaser for additional DLC for the PS4 version to keep parity with the upcoming Switch version.

I'm trusting the statements that the modding community can't do this with known tools. With that out of the picture, that means this is either real, a very very good render, or some kind of official version of the game that's either unreleased or soon to be released. Given that datamining didn't find this before and the fact that all the footage and stuff just conveniently cuts off before anything definitive is shown leads me toward thinking this is some sort of teaser for future content.

It's not like unpatched versions of games haven't had something huge behind them either. There was the Shadow of the Tomb Raider 1.0 thing where a ending was cut, but stayed in the game if the game was unpatched.

Edit: Also the user who posted this is named sadfutago and futago is the Japanese word for twin. Seems a little too coincidental.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 25, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1551882867134775296?t=3vt-7NFtxO_4HME5aW_FIQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1551888639755317248?t=5CkqpeAwl9nwvPNwrgQnMQ&s=19

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I've only completed Route A in Automata so far, but I've gotten all the endings in Replicant. So what I'm seeing in that video is pre-time skip Yonah laid on the alter (as she was in Lost Shrine). The figure has a bracelet on her left wrist like Yonah does and has a flower. Which is what Yonah went out searching for.

The kneeling black figure must be what remains of the Shadow Lord. Still clinging on as a very degraded Shade.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
https://twitter.com/SaitoYosuke_Z/status/1551909607521812482

Can't escape from the :yokotaro: troll train

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

OhFunny posted:

I've only completed Route A in Automata so far, but I've gotten all the endings in Replicant. So what I'm seeing in that video is pre-time skip Yonah laid on the alter (as she was in Lost Shrine). The figure has a bracelet on her left wrist like Yonah does and has a flower. Which is what Yonah went out searching for.

The kneeling black figure must be what remains of the Shadow Lord. Still clinging on as a very degraded Shade.

The cathedral itself may be a reference to Drakengaurd 3

https://twitter.com/lacrimanier/status/1551730462648778752?s=21&t=47WDwVFx18MDZPY0kdHNtA

Maybe this was how they planned to tie the games together before they went with the infodump on route C.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair, we've since learnt that indeed the Machines learnt about the Watchers from human records and replicated their whole thing without actually worshipping them.

The FFXIV raids have some of this, the Machine Network replicates the Seeds for example, although they do so as factories designed to recreate the Machine Network in a new dimension/planet (and 9S hacked it to produce himself and 2B to stop the factories).

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

this video changes my stance to dev loving with the public now. it's way too dense in references, and for a blind player walking back into this and not knowing the trigger it's a bit strange the cutscene plays again and the box is left ignored

the simple church before, sure could have just been an obscure easter egg they cut and it got left in one region's ps4 1.0.0 but this is way too convenient in lore tie-ins

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This makes sense as a viral marketing bit to me. Anyone know if anything similar has been posted to Japanese language websites?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wtf

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what is he hiding

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/1552004563225706496

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yoko Taro is hiding behind NDAs and lawyers

We gotta go after him

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

There's a Poppola/Devola staff in the video and the username is "sad twins" it's 100% clever marketing, well done whoever came up with this

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/DrakeNierTweets/status/1552036965037576193?t=

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

There's a Poppola/Devola staff in the video and the username is "sad twins" it's 100% clever marketing, well done whoever came up with this

Pretty sure that's Weiss floating up and out of the window during the cutscene too.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
If I wasn't in school right now this whole thing would make me boot up automata again. Cripes what a ride :catstare:

Edit: This could be nothing but this person made an account today :catstare:

https://twitter.com/DrakeNierTweets/status/1552129005712818176?s=20&t=_-zkY2zOc1Y25cX0R1ahWQ

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 27, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Sorry to doublepost, but the whole thing seems pretty thoroughly debunked.

https://twitter.com/DrakeNierTweets/status/1552140153313005570?s=20&t=6PkLwaUYxV1orgCO4QI4eg

I mean, it had to be fake, the voice line was obviously from somewhere else, but the amount of effort this must have taken is pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i still believe