Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The real hell is gesture controls.

The missus is Italian and so she is constantly changing the station or putting the volume at maximum or deactivating the GPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The real hell is gesture controls.

The real hell is the situation in south-Saharan Africa. In the Darfur Region, the dead may be the lucky ones.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The real hell is the situation in south-Saharan Africa. In the Darfur Region, the dead may be the lucky ones.

Ladies of the BWM Thread, please be quiet, a man is talking

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bringing back a vintage E/N rule? Interesting gambit.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

everyone calls me bad with money for trying to import a Toyota Hilux but when they are rolling around the desert in their technicals nobody tells them it's a bad investment

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I just lived for a year in a country where you can't spit without hitting a Hilux.

Not gonna lie, I wanted one of my own every single day, and still kind of do. But I also don't want to help anyone move, so it tempers that desire somewhat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BonerGhost posted:

I just lived for a year in a country where you can't spit without hitting a Hilux.

Not gonna lie, I wanted one of my own every single day, and still kind of do. But I also don't want to help anyone move, so it tempers that desire somewhat.

If you mount a ZU-23-2 in the back, you won't have room to move anyone AND you'll have protection against supramanuverable aircraft coming in for low pass attacks.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Warmachine posted:

If you mount a ZU-23-2 in the back, you won't have room to move anyone AND you'll have protection against supramanuverable aircraft coming in for low pass attacks.

Username post combo

Didn't I just see one of those belonging to the Russian army looking like a banana peel, or was that something else?

I should have checked a dealership while we were there, they might have thrown in the gun the way they give you a little costume jewelry if you buy a rug.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

withak posted:

Covid hosed up the new car supply chain, reducing supply, which pushed demand to used cars which drove up prices on used cars.
It may be semantics, but lean manufacturing hosed up supply chains. A wet fart would disrupt the economy at this point. Rather than take ownership of their mistakes and inject capital to boost raw material inventories and improve robustness, execs are blaming COVID and pushing price increases onto consumers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jabor posted:

If you want your car's center console to look like it came out of a 747, sure.

The big problem is that people these days (not everyone, but a lot of people) want more out of their car than just playing FM radio and controlling the AC.

Honest to god, not being lovely, what other functions are people availing themselves of while driving? I guess establishing a Bluetooth connection? That doesn't feel like it requires a full touch screen. I genuinely have no idea what late model cars are doing with the dash.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kenning posted:

Honest to god, not being lovely, what other functions are people availing themselves of while driving? I guess establishing a Bluetooth connection? That doesn't feel like it requires a full touch screen. I genuinely have no idea what late model cars are doing with the dash.

GPS navigation is the most obvious.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Our current car has a 'dumb' touch screen. Basic controls for radio, aircon etc but then everything else is just to display android auto and it relies on everything through your phone. Its honestly the best balance.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm disappointed in this thread that Chris is the only one who got the 30 Rock reference making fun of him.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

It may be semantics, but lean manufacturing hosed up supply chains. A wet fart would disrupt the economy at this point. Rather than take ownership of their mistakes and inject capital to boost raw material inventories and improve robustness, execs are blaming COVID and pushing price increases onto consumers.

I have to laugh, I thought it was pretty ridiculous when Vernor Vinge predicted this would be the main cause of the fall of civilizations in one of the Deepness in the Sky novels. (Societies becoming hyper-optimized and inflexible.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It turns out that diamonds are highly flammable and an NFT of a diamond is worth more than a real diamond.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Look, I know your child died in a pool last week, but you shouldn't be that upset because you still have a handprint painting they did up on the fridge.

Hey, come back here, I didn't even mention the lost baby tooth you kept!

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Kenning posted:

I've seen a couple of patents and demo proposals where they will load up and show advertisements when you get near certain businesses.

It turns out that diamonds are highly flammable and an NFT of a diamond is worth more than a real diamond.

Well you see with the NFT you've bought the concept of a diamond and...

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
The stupidest thing about NFTs (and also shitcoins) is the concept that this thing people are making gazillions of new ones of each day is "in limited supply".

It's like saying my $1 bill will become valuable in the future because it is unique and thus in limited supply thanks to its serial number.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Diamond ownership is just about as bullshit as NFT ownership, but at least diamonds can cut poo poo.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

LifeSunDeath posted:

Diamond ownership is just about as bullshit as NFT ownership, but at least diamonds can cut poo poo.

Well lah di dah, Mr "casually mention my expensive poop knife" man.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Breetai posted:

Well lah di dah, Mr "casually mention my expensive poop knife" man.

Some things need to be forgotten.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Today’s megaball is $800M, so it’s time for some reflection on how I’d try to keep anyone from finding out I won if I won.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I could finally buy one of every Funko Pop!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Democratic Pirate posted:

Today’s megaball is $800M, so it’s time for some reflection on how I’d try to keep anyone from finding out I won if I won.

I would simply not tell them, live a life of poverty as an aesthetic, and then die smugly knowing you got one over on them.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Just pay them off to keep quiet, it works every time (it never works).

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m gonna lawyer up, hit the gym, and delete facebook

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

When my mother shattered her ankle and lower leg a few years ago, the topic of what to do about the life-threatening situation of getting pushed over by her very poorly disciplined dog (and throwing a marrow clot) came up.

Doctor: "Well, a bullet is 25¢."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Griefor posted:

It's like saying my $1 bill will become valuable in the future because it is unique and thus in limited supply thanks to its serial number.

This is kind of true though? Inflation is more likely than deflation, and the money supply is limited in part by enforcement on counterfeiting.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The delayed punchline to this is that the author of that tweet was tasked by TIME to rebut Dan Olson's Line Goes Up...

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1551691309538103297
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1551692258067419139

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

"Sorry, COVID, these unprecedented times, blah blah" has also turned out to be an excellent excuse for just doing whatever you already wanted to do. Hotel didn't really like doing daily housekeeping anyway? Sorry, COVID, we'll only do it if you ask. Restaurant needs to raise prices but is worried about losing customers? Sorry, COVID surcharge. Contractor got a more lucrative job than yours? Sorry, COVID. Oversell your flights and have to bump people, COVID! Fire the dishwasher and give the customer plastic utensils, sorry it's COVID.

I would simply not tell them, live a life of poverty as an aesthetic, and then die smugly knowing you got one over on them.

A life of poverty is probably more difficult for an aesthetic, but it would suit an ascetic pretty well.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

The delayed punchline to this is that the author of that tweet was tasked by TIME to rebut Dan Olson's Line Goes Up...

The problem with NFT's is..........
everything that makes up an NFT. It's not difficult to understand, it's straight reality. What the gently caress do people expect? I also love the other quotes in that poo poo as well:

Dan Olson’s critique: Cryptocurrency is a “Greater Fool” scam, in which members who buy in must convince someone else to invest in order to make their money back.

crypto maximalists posted:

Tascha Che: It’s true that Bitcoin is disproportionately benefiting the earliest adopters. That’s why I think some of the projects in this space are unsustainable, because you cannot reward early adopters at the expense of new entrants.
but then later:

article posted:

To wrap things up, I asked both Olson and Che to respond to each other’s criticisms on a more macro level. Olson argued that there are central concerns about Web 3’s basic purposes, while Che focused on how crypto levels the playing field for investors.
Tascha: Crypto has one of the fastest technology adoptions in history. Over 114 million Bitcoin accounts have been created compared to 3 million seven years ago

Do people not want to just lie about straight loving automation? How many of those 114 million accounts represent people, and how many are multiple wallets by a few specific people? I'll take a guess but I'd be 100% certain it's less than 114 million, and I'd not be surprised to find out it's less than 1/10th of that poo poo. Gotta love the whole "crypto's playing field is not level, but crypto also levels the playing field" :wtf:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pham Nuwen posted:

A life of poverty is probably more difficult for an aesthetic, but it would suit an ascetic pretty well.

Hoisted on my own autocorrect petard.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Do people not want to just lie about straight loving automation? How many of those 114 million accounts represent people, and how many are multiple wallets by a few specific people? I'll take a guess but I'd be 100% certain it's less than 114 million, and I'd not be surprised to find out it's less than 1/10th of that poo poo. Gotta love the whole "crypto's playing field is not level, but crypto also levels the playing field" :wtf:

quote:

It is difficult to get a person to understand something, when his salary depends on their not understanding it.

Her job is shilling for cryptocurrency. You're not going to convince anyone here with a rational argument.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Her job is shilling for cryptocurrency. You're not going to convince anyone here with a rational argument.

Turns out that public humiliation will still drive her to go private lol

No peace for any of these destructive, terrible people. She can go cry into her mountain of ill-gotten cash.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

and lol if she, like so many of these second generation crypto enthusiasts, was a genuine believer who drank her own Koolaid and thus is in a liquidity crisis right now

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bad with malfeasance

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

LanceHunter posted:

It’s incredible that the person who posted this list of bullshit:

https://twitter.com/taschalabs/status/1551281069202083840?s=12

Is being taken seriously by anybody.

⅔ of the list basically ignores why the Fair Labor Standards Act outlawed payment in company scrip.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Blue Moonlight posted:

It’s incredible that the person who posted this list of bullshit:

https://twitter.com/taschalabs/status/1551281069202083840?s=12

Is being taken seriously by anybody.

⅔ of the list basically ignores why the Fair Labor Standards Act outlawed payment in company scrip.

:aaaaa:

I wasn't paying attention and thought that list was just a sustained fart of ideas from some random cryptobro, not a blue-check crypto thought leader (lmao) with 170K followers and a newsletter with 20,000 subscribers. Amazing.

e:
https://twitter.com/tommorris/status/1551803022933647361

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 26, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

did dan's video have the part about how everything on web3 needs to be called by a third party api because the thing that functions as a database is the blockchain but everything costs money and takes long amounts of time to store so they just ask third parties to store data and now it's ~~~web3~~~?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It just amazes me people who lie this much still manage to talk their way into media coverage as if they're real, when they're so full of poo poo that I don't have an analogy of sufficient gravitas to cover the infinite depths of which they are full of poo poo.