Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I bought a redmi note 11 thinking miui would be a mixed bag, but it's a straight up downgrade in every single aspect versus the near stock experience I had on my motorola phone. It's miserable interacting with any part of the system, notifications, file picker, settings. I hate it and will definitely not consider any phone running this garbage again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
For those getting the 6a are you going to use a screen protector? I was going to pick up the Spigen tempered glass protector, but it's now unavailable. Should have bought them yesterday. Any recommendations for alternatives or should I just hope for a restock before I get my 6a?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Nah. It’s a light enough phone that a case should be plenty if I drop it, and the upside of using Gorilla Glass 3 instead of the newer grades is that it should actually be less prone to scratches.

I do use Spigen’s glass protector on my iPhone that I intend to resell one day, and that’s a good one though, maybe just wait for a restock.

I did order a Spigen Midnight Green Liquid Air case since apparently Google’s official case was Not Good on the Pixel 6 launch.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I would definitely use one. They protect from more than just falls.

This is the brand I've used with my 3, 3a and 4a to great success.

[2+2] LK 2 Pack Google Pixel 6a 5G Screen Protector + 2 Pack Camera Lens Protector, 9H Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Pixel 6a, Anti-Scratch, Bubble-Free, [Fingerprint Support], 6.1-inch https://a.co/d/cmHM8oU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Trying not to build up too much hope, but the info page for the 6A (https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7158570#zippy=,pixel-pro,pixel-a lists both warranty information and bands for SE. Cautiously optimistic!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Looking forward to goons getting their hands on the 6A - I'm on the fence of swapping my wife's 4a with either a 6a or the 7. Please share trip reports when you get the 6a in your hands!

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Anyone have any opinions on Ting mobile or Consumer Cellular?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

I would definitely use one. They protect from more than just falls.

This is the brand I've used with my 3, 3a and 4a to great success.

[2+2] LK 2 Pack Google Pixel 6a 5G Screen Protector + 2 Pack Camera Lens Protector, 9H Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Pixel 6a, Anti-Scratch, Bubble-Free, [Fingerprint Support], 6.1-inch https://a.co/d/cmHM8oU
Glad to hear this as I just ordered some of them for new Pixel 6. For £7.50. Wasn't exactly hoping for much. My main thing is whether they will not gently caress up the fingerprint sensor even more than it already is hosed up.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

I did order a Spigen Midnight Green Liquid Air case since apparently Google’s official case was Not Good on the Pixel 6 launch.

I ordered the same case. Looks nice.

Thanks, BoboMan, for the recommendation. I'll try the one in case the Spigen doesn't restock in time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I’ll have some hands on in a few weeks as my mom is getting my dad a 6a to replace his Nokia 6.1 for his birthday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Android 13 Beta 4.1 rolled out today, a 10mb bug fixer on my Pixel 5. It’s really feeling like we may be on track for an early August release.

And I will say, 13 FLIES on the Pixel 5. Hopefully Tensor does as well.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 25, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I came to my senses and canceled my Pixel 6a preorder. The trade-in offer is insane value but I know that I’d use it for a month and go back to my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

The Pixel 4a getting another year of security updates means I can at least dick around on it when I am jonesing for an Android hit.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is this the thread where I ask about advantages a Samsung or similar has over an iPhone? I'm switching carriers (ATT to Verizon) and may be able to get a good deal on an S22. iPhone is convenient but I'm not a mac person so devices talking to each other doesn't matter to me. My priorities are music and pictures storage, battery life, and it'd be nice to have decent browser and AwfulApp speed. Coming from an iPhone 6, so almost anything would be an improvement.

The S22 deal is $12.50 for 36 months with a new plan, and I imagine whatever the basic iPhone is would be more than that these days.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I can only speak for the s22 ultra, but it's it best Android device I've had or used. I can't imagine the iPhone would be much better except in fringe use cases like using iMessage or other apple products.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Anyone know how long the 6a deal is running for? Was there an end date?
I'm trying to NOT update my 4a (spare phone) but also they'd give me $300 trade in + headphones. The deal is hard to pass up and i need to know how long i need to hold out for.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is this the thread where I ask about advantages a Samsung or similar has over an iPhone? I'm switching carriers (ATT to Verizon) and may be able to get a good deal on an S22. iPhone is convenient but I'm not a mac person so devices talking to each other doesn't matter to me. My priorities are music and pictures storage, battery life, and it'd be nice to have decent browser and AwfulApp speed. Coming from an iPhone 6, so almost anything would be an improvement.

The S22 deal is $12.50 for 36 months with a new plan, and I imagine whatever the basic iPhone is would be more than that these days.

Andorid vs iOS is really down to feel. Most features are compliant minus the apple universe of devices which you don't care about. The os's feel pretty different, and you learn to love one or the other. I'm all in on android, but i also have an ipad. I loving hate iOS but android doesn't really have an ipad killer. Its fine and it does all the things.
I'd suggest to hit up best buy / verizon and get hands on with android. Stick to flagship devices and it'll be fine. Samsung or Pixel.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The iPhone might be similarly priced if what you're getting is a carrier deal. The iPhone will have leagues better battery life as the base S22 has actually bad battery life by modern standards, though probably on par with what you're used to coming from an old phone.

I probably wouldn't recommend it over a base iPhone based on that alone, but the actual use of it will more than suit your needs. It gets harder to recommend a more expensive base iPhone over an S22+ or Ultra if your current deal offerings are only on Samsung phones, though, which should have some pretty sweet discounts this late in their cycle.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

deong posted:

Anyone know how long the 6a deal is running for? Was there an end date?
I'm trying to NOT update my 4a (spare phone) but also they'd give me $300 trade in + headphones. The deal is hard to pass up and i need to know how long i need to hold out for.

Tomorrow, I think.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Recently went on holiday with THE LADS and they both have the latest iPhone. I love my Fold 3 and would never switch to an iPhone, but those cameras are incredible. They're so fast, look amazing, and they even tell you what flowers or animals you're looking at, which I don't think Android has (I wish it did).

Oh, and the ability to turn things into 3D objects with lidar, that was amazing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

A few reviewers have reported that the 6As fingerprint reader throws false positives, and unlocks with fingers that aren't registered

It's faster than the reader on the 6/6Pro but we'll have to see if that holds after they patch this

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lens does the same thing on android. Hell my 71 year old mom was telling me how she used her Pixel 4a5g to identify a moth that was on the kitchen window and I never showed her that was a thing so the feature is plenty accessible.

iPhone doesn't really hold any camera advantage over flagship Android devices. The S22U and Pixel 6/6Pro stand head to head. The standard S22 isn't too much of a slouch either, it just has a smaller sensor. Ditto for the Pixel A devices, that 12mp camera is tried and true and stands up fine to the majority of the iPhone lineup when it comes to stills.

As I was saying before, the Fold 3 has a borderline potato cam for 2022 and one of the most disappointing things about the device. Hopefully they bring it to S22 standards with the Fold 4.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Soul Glo posted:

The iPhone might be similarly priced if what you're getting is a carrier deal. The iPhone will have leagues better battery life as the base S22 has actually bad battery life by modern standards, though probably on par with what you're used to coming from an old phone.

I probably wouldn't recommend it over a base iPhone based on that alone, but the actual use of it will more than suit your needs. It gets harder to recommend a more expensive base iPhone over an S22+ or Ultra if your current deal offerings are only on Samsung phones, though, which should have some pretty sweet discounts this late in their cycle.

deong posted:

Andorid vs iOS is really down to feel. Most features are compliant minus the apple universe of devices which you don't care about. The os's feel pretty different, and you learn to love one or the other. I'm all in on android, but i also have an ipad. I loving hate iOS but android doesn't really have an ipad killer. Its fine and it does all the things.
I'd suggest to hit up best buy / verizon and get hands on with android. Stick to flagship devices and it'll be fine. Samsung or Pixel.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I can only speak for the s22 ultra, but it's it best Android device I've had or used. I can't imagine the iPhone would be much better except in fringe use cases like using iMessage or other apple products.
Thanks y'all.

How is the S20 FE? Seems like that is the free option with a new plan.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Thanks y'all.

How is the S20 FE? Seems like that is the free option with a new plan.

Pretty sure that phone is only getting one more year of updates. Samsung started promising five years rather than three after the S20 series launched.

e: if you keep phones forever, and you seem to be the kind of person who does if you’re coming from an iPhone 6, I would get a more current phone.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Should be getting the 6a on Thursday - looking forward to the upgrade.

Still can't believe Google is giving me $300 for the 3a (and free pixel buds).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I bet there’s going to be a lot of “press” out there saying the high trade in deals are “Google being desperate.”

Meanwhile I straight up traded a 4a last year for a Z Flip 3 and no one has a bad thing to say about Samsungs crazy trade stuff.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Soul Glo posted:

Pretty sure that phone is only getting one more year of updates. Samsung started promising five years rather than three after the S20 series launched.

e: if you keep phones forever, and you seem to be the kind of person who does if you’re coming from an iPhone 6, I would get a more current phone.

Yeah right on, this is super helpful. The only reason I ever get a new phone is damage/drowning or it absolutely quits working due to updates and processing speed. My iPhone 6 stopped taking updates with iOS 12 I think, and one by one my apps are no longer working. Browsers and Google take forever now and you can forget about loading a page with ads on it. My method since I started getting smart phones is to get the base model of the newest roll out because I don't need fancy poo poo but I try to make it last forever. So in the long run, paying a small monthly payment for an S22 is likely cheaper than replacing a free S20 in a couple years. Looks like my iPhone equivalent is the 12 or 13.

Is Samsung's fancy glass really the poo poo? I'm hard on equipment and I like having tough gear, but I do take care of my phones and always have a tough case of some kind.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Makers aren’t lying when they say the glass is stronger every year but glass is glass. We aren’t to the point where you can yeet a phone at the ground with wild abandon just yet.

As a downside, as the glass gets stronger, it gets more susceptible to scratches, so, kind of a wash imo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Soul Glo posted:

We aren’t to the point where you can yeet a phone at the ground with wild abandon just yet.

We used to be!

(remembering my friend throwing his dumb phone at a wall at the bar, picking up the pieces that fell off (cover, battery) and putting it back together with zero issues)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Uthor posted:

We used to be!

(remembering my friend throwing his dumb phone at a wall at the bar, picking up the pieces that fell off (cover, battery) and putting it back together with zero issues)

Good old Nokia 3310. What a beast.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pixel buds pro still not coming out with reviews yet is making me think they are going to be not that good

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
For the trade-in expiring tomorrow with the 6a, could I still order one, then buy a 3a afterwards to qualify? Trying to get one on FB marketplace has been a struggle, might just get one off Swappa instead of saving a few bucks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Someone got theirs early and said that the app hadn’t been updated for them yet, so I’m not even sure anyone is reviewing them.

Eh, the A series were fine so I think they’ll be serviceable for the price point. The only real knock on the first gen was spotty connectivity which they resolved with the A series. The sound quality, features, and comfort were always pretty decent. The question is how good the ANC is which I suspect will also be “fine.”

I think they’ll be perfectly cromulent, just unremarkable and not a massive value at the price.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GTJustin posted:

For the trade-in expiring tomorrow with the 6a, could I still order one, then buy a 3a afterwards to qualify? Trying to get one on FB marketplace has been a struggle, might just get one off Swappa instead of saving a few bucks.

Depends on if the checkout process requires the IMEI for the trade ahead of time.

Google’s process is buy at full price, get discount when they get device back (as opposed to Samsung giving the trade up front and then charging more if they don’t get it). So, as long as you can get through the checkout process, you should be fine. I do think there’s only like 15 days to send back the trade device though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I bet there’s going to be a lot of “press” out there saying the high trade in deals are “Google being desperate.”

Meanwhile I straight up traded a 4a last year for a Z Flip 3 and no one has a bad thing to say about Samsungs crazy trade stuff.

When I got my S21FE they were doing a guaranteed £200 trade-in for any Android phone, I send them a 10 year old HTC Desire C and they accepted it :v:

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

GTJustin posted:

Yeah, you don’t have to enter a serial number or anything when you check out. I’m buying an iPhone 7 on swappa for $70 in exchange for $290 in trade in credit.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Yeah, you don’t have to enter a serial number or anything when you check out. I’m buying an iPhone 7 on swappa for $70 in exchange for $290 in trade in credit.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look for a 7 instead around me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

repiv posted:

When I got my S21FE they were doing a guaranteed £200 trade-in for any Android phone, I send them a 10 year old HTC Desire C and they accepted it :v:

Yeah, I just remember a ton of articles a month or two ago talking about the carrier deals on Google phones and the sky was falling. “See, google can’t sell the stuff! They have to discount it to move!”

Meanwhile, if you buy any Samsung device for more than 60% of MSRP, you’ve done hosed up because the deals are constant. But that’s Samsung being good at marketing you see, not that they can’t move devices.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Lens does the same thing on android. Hell my 71 year old mom was telling me how she used her Pixel 4a5g to identify a moth that was on the kitchen window and I never showed her that was a thing so the feature is plenty accessible.

iPhone doesn't really hold any camera advantage over flagship Android devices. The S22U and Pixel 6/6Pro stand head to head. The standard S22 isn't too much of a slouch either, it just has a smaller sensor. Ditto for the Pixel A devices, that 12mp camera is tried and true and stands up fine to the majority of the iPhone lineup when it comes to stills.

As I was saying before, the Fold 3 has a borderline potato cam for 2022 and one of the most disappointing things about the device. Hopefully they bring it to S22 standards with the Fold 4.

This must be a Samsung thing, because I did not have Google Lens installed, and it's a separate app you have to launch to search for things, whereas obviously it's all connected on the iPhone side (even in the cloud, Google Photos doesn't do it either).

Maybe it works better on the Pixel!

I'm super happy with the camera quality, especially with the new Expert Raw app, but I guess it could always be better

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lens is built into the native camera app on Pixel devices, all you have to do is long press the live preview and it will do a Lens search. If you take a picture, there’s a Lens button on your camera roll that you can press as well.

Samsung is too wrapped up in their Bixby Vision crap.

Even my OnePlus 9 Po has a lens button integrated into the camera app.

On Samsung devices you have to open the Google app and search with the camera.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

6a should be here Thursday. No way I could resist $300 for my 5a and another pair of lovely pixel buds which I will immediately sell

As long as the fingerprint reader doesn't suck poo poo I will be a happy camper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Ting mobile or Consumer Cellular?

Had Ting for a while because at the time, minimal minutes and data were being used. Then I realized Mint was a much better deal. I paid upfront for a year I think at $15/mo for 3GB of data.
With Ting it was a pay as you go for data (which again, was fine at the time until more data was being used) and it was already up to $22 before the month was out (so says one of my old emails).
3GB is more than enough for this particular phone and it's not even using 1GB a month. Have had zero problems with Mint using a Moto g4 (that is starting to show it's age).