Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Control - this game is tight. I like how aggressive the AI is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Frenz posted:

Control - this game is tight. I like how aggressive the AI is

Yeah, Control was real good. Looked great and played great - real fun. Loved throwing stuff around and shooting my weird block gun at monsters!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Control felt like System Shock + Parasite Eve + Deadly Premonition and it was cool. Definitely interested in the sequel.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Control is cool

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Control is cool. The ashtray maze and the final encounter were sick balls.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Did they ever say what they’re doing next? I feel like I remember Alan Wake 2 getting announced. Or are they gonna do like an Unbreakable/Split/Glass interconnected trilogy kinda thing? That might be cool.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Did they ever say what they’re doing next? I feel like I remember Alan Wake 2 getting announced. Or are they gonna do like an Unbreakable/Split/Glass interconnected trilogy kinda thing? That might be cool.

Alan Wake 2 and a Max Payne 1 and 2 remake

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

26) Metal Gear 2 (Code Name Zebra)

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
23. Assassin's Creed (Complete Synchronization, All Viewpoints, All Citizens Saved, All Memorable Moments)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I don't think everything in Assassins Creed is memorable but I'm glad you enjoyed it Mamkute.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

control is so sick.,

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

27) Snake's Revenge

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Control is good but I found the combat especially the bonus challenges in the quarry got really annoying on hard mode. You get nearly wiped out by one shot from a guy who spawned in behind you at some point. I think one of the few games that would benefit from respawning hp instead of health pick ups dropped by enemies. A nightmare when you get nearly one shotted and your only option is to sprint at at the remaining bunch of enemies

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Control is good but I found the combat especially the bonus challenges in the quarry got really annoying on hard mode. You get nearly wiped out by one shot from a guy who spawned in behind you at some point. I think one of the few games that would benefit from respawning hp instead of health pick ups dropped by enemies. A nightmare when you get nearly one shotted and your only option is to sprint at at the remaining bunch of enemies

absolutely not epic:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Not really because you’re very weak in the game and enemies dropping hp usually means tou have to run in to try pick it up. Doesn’t work that well when you are dealing with the guys doing 90% damage with rockets who just backspawned behind you on balconies or flying guys or the super psychics with shields etc

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Not really because you’re very weak in the game and enemies dropping hp usually means tou have to run in to try pick it up. Doesn’t work that well when you are dealing with the guys doing 90% damage with rockets who just backspawned behind you on balconies or flying guys or the super psychics with shields etc

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

there was a hard mode? felt the combat was kinda challenging even on the default settings which i liked but i can see where it would go too far when its even harder. enjoyed the story and set pieces alot more than the combat anyway tho

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nutmeg posted:

there was a hard mode? felt the combat was kinda challenging even on the default settings which i liked but i can see where it would go too far when its even harder. enjoyed the story and set pieces alot more than the combat anyway tho

Maybe not. I play games on hard usually but I think you're right that it's a single difficult game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nutmeg posted:

I agree for sure. I thought the combat was good in the early going but I think it just ends up being a chore for me by the end. Just too many incredibly tacky enemies with huge return damage. I think what' I'm thinkiremebring specifically of where I stopped and found the combat very annoying was the combat challenges rather than a specific story game encounter. I remember those being super punishing but wanting to get all the medals.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I also hate when games have rare components and stuff in an offline single player game, that stuff sucks. Other than that though it kicks rear end.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Xenoblade chronicles: good game. I started it awhile ago and got bogged down around the time you find Melia and Riki and didn't play it for like 6 months, but pushing through that it starts picking up steam again. The last third or so was great, really made me want to play xenosaga again which I'll do after xenoblade 2 and 3.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I also hate when games have rare components and stuff in an offline single player game, that stuff sucks. Other than that though it kicks rear end.

Yeah I didn't like the "mod" upgrade system for the guns and your abilities. It's a pain keeping track of all the % upgrade mods and at the end of the game I would constantly have to go into the menu to delete old ones and look at each one trying to decide what was best to keep. They don't even make much difference anyway and of course + health and + damage mods are way better than others (as always.)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

hah

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Metal Gear Solid 3

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

56) Murder By Numbers

The concept of 'solve picross to gain evidence to solve a murder mystery' is really cute but as you play the game you realize that a) it doesn't actually work that well as a concept b) the murder mystery is pretty boring and c) the puzzles aren't particularly good and you don't even get the satisfaction of making a cool pixel art thing because the end product is gibberish that just magically morphs into whatever it needs to be. 4/10

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Good intro movie though.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

haha perfect! :D

But yeah, I agree with Emmy on this - it would've been nice if you could get one of those perk/upgrades that lets you slowly regen HP when you use a slot on it. Since if the devs were concerned about balance, this way there would at least be a trade-off; you're getting slow HP regen so you don't need to rely solely on pickups, but on the other hand it'll mean that you don't get some variation of a damage/range/RoF upgrade, etc.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (100%, Hard Mode, True Ending)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Secret Agent Xavier Ray: X-Ray Spy. hard mode, 2,500,060 points

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Secret Agent Xavier Ray: X-Ray Spy. hard mode, 2,500,060 points

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

56) Murder By Numbers

The concept of 'solve picross to gain evidence to solve a murder mystery' is really cute but as you play the game you realize that a) it doesn't actually work that well as a concept b) the murder mystery is pretty boring and c) the puzzles aren't particularly good and you don't even get the satisfaction of making a cool pixel art thing because the end product is gibberish that just magically morphs into whatever it needs to be. 4/10

I been playing this off and on and haven't really gotten into it. I'll finish it one day...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

57) Stray (all memories, all badges)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

57) Stray (all memories, all badges)

Nice! How long (roughly) does Stray take, if you don't mind me asking? I think I'll probably get it after it gets a slight discount, since I'm curious about it. Still have plenty to play at the moment so I'm not desperate for a new game, but it's certainly on my radar

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

It's not very long at all, I did a 100% run over 8 or so hours, even going back and replaying chapters to pick up stuff I missed. I think a no frills playthrough would take you a little more than an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Metal Gear Solid 3. Code name: Pigeon, meaning I successfully finished a no-kills run which feels nice after not getting the low-kills trophy despite my efforts towards it in the first game. Like MGS 1 and 2 this is my second time through the game, and I don't think I appreciated it well enough the first time I played in college 10-ish years ago--I definitely liked it a lot back then but I don't think I realized that it's one of the best games ever made, which I definitely do now. Everything about it is fantastic, the characters and their codec conversations, the art design, the story, the atmosphere of the jungle that most of it takes place in, and they all come together in a completely incredible experience. I'm definitely not going to wait another 10 years to replay this one.

Also I think I'm going to make a project to watch each of the movies that Para-Medic talks about when you save, she talks about a lot of my favorites from the 60s and earlier and some of the ones I haven't seen are classics that I could use the excuse to finally watch.