Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
This lee zeldin attack seems to be a bit of a PR stunt

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1551559861791428608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Cimber posted:

Holy poo poo. Not sure if this was posted before or not but....drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTNMTVsgAA

This one has been making the rounds on social media, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf1YxHpOvF4

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
You know I'm wondering whether it's a coincidence that the organization is named Mothers Against Greg Abbott, because it'd be kind of funny to see that acronym get stolen.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

It was made in response to MAGA.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Scipiotik posted:

Maybe he'll get a rare covid side effect that makes him less of a piece of poo poo.

In terms of his own self interest Manchin has done everything right. His popularity in his state has increased as has donations to his campaign.

Of course his descendants may end up cursing him when the climate apocalypse hits hard.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
Joe Manchin has been completely vindicated, can you imagine how bad inflation would be if “Build Back Better” had been allowed to pass? Only the insanely privileged would see that as an acceptable trade.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ellasmith posted:

Joe Manchin has been completely vindicated, can you imagine how bad inflation would be if “Build Back Better” had been allowed to pass? Only the insanely privileged would see that as an acceptable trade.

Inflation is on the supply side as production shifts from global to more regional and away from JIT.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

theCalamity posted:

This is a poo poo probe

This is what happens when you let former permabanned holocaust deniers become mods.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gripweed posted:

The government counts rape victims as part of the "men who have sex with men community"?

Short answer, yes. Longer answer, a man who was assaulted once and has no other sex with men should check the box when it comes up and get a battery of STI tests, but a portion of the CDC's recommendations would be low-value or irrelevant since they're not a regular part of the 'MSM community'.

Sex workers and sex work adjacent men sexin' men, on the other hand, are definitely part of the Men Sexin' Men community and are a major target audience for STI information generally and monkeypox information specifically. Reaching out to these groups is unironically something the CDC should be doing.

this isn't exactly what i was looking for, but clinician guidelines for men sexin' men: https://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment-guidelines/msm.htm

the thing I was actually looking for, some MSM-facing factsheets and whatnot: https://www.cdc.gov/std/life-stages-populations/msm.htm

the success story at the bottom of the second one is kinda cool! CDC contact tracing et al doing its job in a syphilis outbreak in Alaska

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Inflation is on the supply side as production shifts from global to more regional and away from JIT.

I think some industries are doing this but anecdotally mine isnt at all

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

I expect there will be some that keep trying for decades.

And it’s not going away away. Just not going to grow anymore and will recede a bit as other thinking and other silly chains become more prevalent.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I expect there will be some that keep trying for decades.

And it’s not going away away. Just not going to grow anymore and will recede a bit as other thinking and other silly chains become more prevalent.

We sell into Walmart and their whole business is JIT. Doesnt look like its changing. Have you seen different?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

JIT has been around so long I just assumed all the warehouses had been sold or allowed to fall apart.

I'd imagine trying to get back to a more conventional model would require capital investments that most businesses aren't willing to spend, especially given the recent shakeup.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

We sell into Walmart and their whole business is JIT. Doesnt look like its changing. Have you seen different?

Do you guys sell internationally or just to the U.S.? And what industry? It would be anecdotal, but always interesting to hear first-hand what is going on in situations like this where most people can't see the sausage being made.

MooselanderII posted:

This is what happens when you let former permabanned holocaust deniers become mods.

Koos has never been permabanned.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

perhaps this wasn't the bigger issue of the two listed!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

lmao.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Everyone in my industry[Electrical Manufacturing] sure is trying to get more stable regionally.

If you're selling in Walmart your management is addicted to the volume and the company will have to burn down before it can change. Delicious late stage capitalism manufacturing. Nothing against you or your company. We almost got pulled into the Amazon/Walmart direct sales a couple years back and its a toxic race to the bottom as your volume has to compensate from them eating your margin.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Huge amounts of new warehouse space has been built recently. I’ve been seeing manufacturing equipment coming in to fill in holes in-house. A big part of my career prior to this was approving the securing of used machines going out on flats and as BB. The direction has changed.

Walmart is really only going to be buying finished goods, it’s different for manufacturers buying parts.

It’s not going to go away. There are still going to be global horizontal supply chains. But growth going forward will be regional and more vertical.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The FDA approved the Covid vaccine for people under 5 a few weeks ago, but a large chunk of Americans still say they will never vaccinate their kids.

- 43% said they would definitely never vaccinate their child; which is almost double what it was 3 months ago.

- The state/district with the highest child vaccination rate is Washington D.C. with 14.4%.

- The state/district with the lowest child vaccination rate is Mississippi with 0.4%.

- Only 7% of parents say they got their child vaccinated as soon as they could and another 10% say they plan to get them vaccinated "right away"

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1551995971743129600

quote:

43% of parents with young kids say their children will 'definitely not' get COVID vaccine

It has been over a month since COVID-19 vaccines became available to children as young as six months, but with millions of kids still without a shot, officials continue to face an uphill battle in their push to get the youngest Americans vaccinated.

Since the shots were authorized on June 18, approximately 544,000 children, under the age of 5, have received their first shot, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, representing 2.8% of the 19.5 million U.S. children in that age group.

Preliminary data reported by states shows that several states in the Northeast have the highest share of children under 5 vaccinated with at least one dose, with Washington, D.C. leading the nation with 14.4% of its jurisdiction's children under 5 vaccinated with their first shot, followed by Vermont, with 10.3%, and Massachusetts, with 7.2%.

Seventy percent of parents with children under 5 who are eligible for the vaccine, and are considering inoculating their child, reported they had not yet spoken to their child's pediatrician or other health care provider about the vaccine, with 70% also saying they would wait until their child’s regular check-up to discuss getting their child vaccinated.

Among older children, nearly 3 in 10 parents of 12- to 17-year-olds, and about 4 in 10 parents of 5- to 11-year-olds said that they would definitely not get their child vaccinated for COVID-19.

Nationally, about 44 million eligible children remain completely unvaccinated, according to federal data.

The continued call to vaccinate all Americans comes amidst renewed concern over the spread of COVID-19 across the country.

Eighty-seven percent of the U.S. population lives in a county with a high or medium community risk level for COVID-19, as defined by the CDC, indicating that 6 in 10 Americans are currently living in a county where masking is recommended for all people while in indoor public settings.

Mississippi has the lowest percentage of children under 5 vaccinated, with less than 0.4% of children with their first shot, followed by Alabama and Arkansas, both with 0.6%.

The sluggish start to the vaccine rollout comes as a new KFF COVID-19 Vaccine Monitor survey reveals that many parents remain reluctant to vaccinate their young children. As of July, 43% of parents with children ages 6 months to 4 years old said they will "definitely not" get their child vaccinated against COVID-19. In comparison, when polled in April, 27% of parents had stated they would “definitely not” get their child vaccinated against the virus.

Thirteen percent of parents said they would only inoculate their child, if required, and 27% reported they were waiting to see whether to vaccinate their child.

Only 7% of parents reported they got their child vaccinated right away, while another 10% of parents said that they were still planning to get their child vaccinated "right away."

When asked about their reluctance to vaccinate their children, parents cited concerns over the "newness' of the vaccine, potential side effects, as well as "not enough testing or research," and overall worries over safety of the vaccines. A majority of parents also said the information provided by the federal health agencies on vaccines, for children in that age group, was "confusing."

More than half of parents reported that they feel the vaccine is bigger risk to their child’s health than contracting COVID-19 itself, while about 1 in 10 parents said they did not think their child needed the vaccine, or stated they were not worried about COVID-19.

Forty-four percent of Black parents of unvaccinated children, ages 6 months through 4 years old, reported that they were concerned they would be required to take time off work to get their child vaccinated, or to care for them should they experience side effects, while 45% Hispanic parents said they were worried about being unable to get their child vaccinated at a trusted location.

However, there are indicators that vaccination rates may pick up, as more parents speak with their child's pediatrician about the benefits of a COVID-19 vaccine.

COVID-19 cases among children remain at a high level, with more than 92,000 additional child COVID-19 cases reported in the last week, according to a new report from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Children’s Hospital Association (CHA).

On average, about 300 virus-positive children are admitted to the hospital daily, marking one of the highest daily totals since February.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I wonder if that drop in institutional trust is related to the administration's claims that the gay community is spreading monkey pox?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
is it Stifling Debate to tell moderators that despite their previous statements on the subject, the holocaust actually happened

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I wonder if that drop in institutional trust is related to the administration's claims that the gay community is spreading monkey pox?

unlikely, given that the survey was several weeks ago and twitter only got mad about monkeypox statements more recently than that

Probably has more to do with massively prevalent anti-vaxx nonsense and other, earlier impacts of Trump wrecking the federal workforce.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

People are taught not to trust the government in this country and that has been expanded to not trusting doctors/scientists since 2020. Proliferation of antivaxx propaganda is primarily responsible for this i would imagine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Definitely not. The poll was taking before Monkeypox blew up.

Also, a lot of people who are themselves vaccinated are not willing to get their kids vaccinated- a whole lot of people.

So, it is some sort of general lingering anti-vax sentiment or lack of fear/extreme caution over their kids that they don't have for themselves.

Unless the demographics of who have young children right now are heavily skewed towards anti-vax people, then a majority of the people who don't want to vaccinate their kids are vaccinated themselves.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
There are many places on the Something Awful forums you are welcome to opine about mods (or other posters') Holocaust denial, such as: QCS, CCCC, FYAD, CSPAM. This is a thread about US Current Events, so it is not one of them.

Thanks.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 26, 2022

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

When I got my kid vaccinated there was a huge line of people at the pediatrician's office, on a Saturday, all for the COVID shot. I thought that was an encouraging sight but I guess it's really unrepresentative.

Also we all got COVID like two weeks after him getting his first shot so clearly it doesn't even work :mad:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

lobster shirt posted:

When I got my kid vaccinated there was a huge line of people at the pediatrician's office, on a Saturday, all for the COVID shot. I thought that was an encouraging sight but I guess it's really unrepresentative.

Also we all got COVID like two weeks after him getting his first shot so clearly it doesn't even work :mad:

You don't have full protection until two weeks after your second dose. You got pretty close, but you shouldn't have let your baby go to that packed rave for another 4 weeks! Then, you'd have been much more likely to avoid it.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I can't wait for a large population of kids to die or be disabled from completely precentable diseases from this vaccine hesitaintcy bullshit.

What is it going to take? A huge polio epidemic?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twincityhacker posted:

I can't wait for a large population of kids to die or be disabled from completely precentable diseases from this vaccine hesitaintcy bullshit.

Childhood vaccinations as a whole are down, so yes I think we’re going to have to re-learn the hard way why they exist

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Twincityhacker posted:

Everybody freaked out originally, but you just mandate the vaccines for public school and then you get a 90+% vaccination rate for measles and nobody cares for decades.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Twincityhacker posted:

I guess that's the natural result of a highly adversarial political system where each group of voters vilifies the other and everything related to them.

It is interesting watching Trump thread that needle with his antivaxx crew. He manages to simultaneously take credit for the vaccine and stress the importance of "individuals choice" (as though there is such a thing with communicable disease).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Definitely not. The poll was taking before Monkeypox blew up.

Also, a lot of people who are themselves vaccinated are not willing to get their kids vaccinated- a whole lot of people.

So, it is some sort of general lingering anti-vax sentiment or lack of fear/extreme caution over their kids that they don't have for themselves.

Unless the demographics of who have young children right now are heavily skewed towards anti-vax people, then a majority of the people who don't want to vaccinate their kids are vaccinated themselves.

A lot of it is “what’s the point” . They took too long to approve effectiveness against variants is lower and after omicron all those kids have had it at least once.

I mean they should still get it, my kids got it. But they hosed up taking so long and blew the trust people had in them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

BlueBlazer posted:

Everyone in my industry[Electrical Manufacturing] sure is trying to get more stable regionally.

If you're selling in Walmart your management is addicted to the volume and the company will have to burn down before it can change. Delicious late stage capitalism manufacturing. Nothing against you or your company. We almost got pulled into the Amazon/Walmart direct sales a couple years back and its a toxic race to the bottom as your volume has to compensate from them eating your margin.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Huge amounts of new warehouse space has been built recently. I’ve been seeing manufacturing equipment coming in to fill in holes in-house. A big part of my career prior to this was approving the securing of used machines going out on flats and as BB. The direction has changed.

Walmart is really only going to be buying finished goods, it’s different for manufacturers buying parts.

It’s not going to go away. There are still going to be global horizontal supply chains. But growth going forward will be regional and more vertical.

Consumer goods, mostly non-electronic, and not personal care.

We sell into Walmart, Target, Amazon, and other smaller retailers. Out stuff is either imported from China by us, or we take it to the port and walmart imports it.

We get out stuff made at a constellation of vendors and sub vendors and our costs for materials and labor have gone up. That has resulted in:

- raising MSRP
- Reducing product
- Increased movement from mfging in mainland China, instead to Vietnam, Indonesia, India.

I don't see us moving back to the US or even moving a large portion of our business anywhere else but china.

Corporate profits are great, like most other corporations. Employees getting the shaft though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

- 43% said they would definitely never vaccinate their child; which is almost double what it was 3 months ago.

Between this, and the astonishing rate of children getting annihilated by military weaponry, an objective observer would have to conclude that the median American doesn't give a poo poo about the safety of their children

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Current Events Question: Can anyone r/OutoftheLoop explain what's with all the "Christian Nationalism" talk going on all of the sudden? It's a term I've only started hearing relatively recently, but it seems like it's picking up a lot of steam quickly. Is it significantly different from the Religious Right or just a rename?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

-Blackadder- posted:

Current Events Question: Can anyone r/OutoftheLoop explain what's with all the "Christian Nationalism" talk going on all of the sudden? It's a term I've only started hearing relatively recently, but it seems like it's picking up a lot of steam quickly. Is it significantly different from the Religious Right or just a rename?

Marjorie Taylor Green did an interview and said she's a Christmas nationalist and that the GOP is the party of Christmas Nationalists.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Marjorie Taylor Green did an interview and said she's a Christmas nationalist and that the GOP is the party of Christmas Nationalists.

:hmmyes:

I too am an ardent supporter of the sovereignty and independence of a tiny Australian territory

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I mean it's MTG so I wouldn't bet against her saying exactly that.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

With how hosed up this timeline is, I honestly can't tell if this is a typo, or if this is literally what MTG said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hail Lord Kringle. Giver of gifts to all who are nice.