Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not sure if the best place to ask is here or the Deck thread, but anyone tried Zomboid on the Deck? I have it installed on mine, but I'm thinking I'm still probably better off trying to wrap my head around it on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know what changed to make development accelerate so much but I'm glad Zomboid seems to have grown legs

basically, they finished converting the game from 2D to 3D which took a very long time but made their lives 1000x easier

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Any good suggestions for where to hole up in Zomboid? I've been thinking of building a cabin at the radio relay station north of Muldraugh. Rather large area surrounded mostly by unbashable fences, only issue really is lack of water for fishing and collecting

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Danaru posted:

Any good suggestions for where to hole up in Zomboid? I've been thinking of building a cabin at the radio relay station north of Muldraugh. Rather large area surrounded mostly by unbashable fences, only issue really is lack of water for fishing and collecting

In my single player game I'm based out of the Rusty Rifle. Its on the edge of southern Muldraugh and relatively quiet.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

it really depends on what you want to do. Being isolated doesn't really give you all that much - IMO the biggest thing is to be near scavenging areas and wide roads because small winding roads through the woods as night is falling is a recipe for disaster and death and your trips through there will draw out zombies onto the roads, isolated or not.

If you're stuck to that area I'd suggest either Smokey's (north side of main strip), the U-Store-It in the middle part of town, a fenced in small house in the north-east just west of train station, or the gas-2-go / rusty rifle (as above) on the main strip south.

You really want a place with good sight lines and the ability to walk into the woods to lose shamblers.

IMO Muldraugh is a C- city to me - absolutely filled to the brim with zombies but with little high-end valuables and it's far enough that it's more than a day trip to get anywhere else.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 26, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Most of what I'm looking for are areas mostly enclosed by walls or fences that zombies can't attack, I'm a cheap loser and I want to play Hardcore The Sims in peace :v:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
IMO the S-tier spot is That One Mansion On The River With The Three Car Garage in Louisville, but it can be a trek to get to and you need at least a sledgehammer to get the city gates open.

For safety any u-store-it is gonna be hard to beat but all spaces are going to need to be cleared/thinned multiple times.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
In that case most of the walled construction sites are decent picks, if you don't mind doing a lot of construction (heh). There's a trailer in most of them that'll give you the basics of a bed, a fridge, and an oven, and there's plenty of space to expand off of that and farm within the walls.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Sneaking could just... not make you crouch. Sneaking IRL doesn't usually involve crouching way down, that's just a long standing conceit in video games. It would be pretty easy to fix these potential problems by just doing something slightly differently.

Checks out, I sneak far less efficiently when crouched because the snap crackle pop from my knees and the occasional “gently caress my knees hurt” give me away.

E: 2 houses over I’m asking the zombies for a timeout because I got a charlie horse.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 26, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh, so do rain collector barrels collect water even when under a veranda? Interesting. Also, to confirm - if you leave pots and buckets out (like you have) they collect fresh water, right? And don't require purification like the collection barrels do, since I assume the game figures you must be using a dirty garbage bag or something...
Speaking of the collector barrels, is there a mod to change it so it doesn't require purification, btw? I mean, I guess I'd understand if you've left the water sitting out in the open for a while and bacteria has formed, but if it's fresh and in a clean bag, why wouldn't you be able to drink it?

As far as hold-out locations go, really, anywhere you can get a good amount of upstairs space (even better if you have a balcony) once you've found a sledgehammer is good. Like, one thing I've done before is finding a row of townhouses or shops (with a couple of apartment above) and then demolish the staircase(s) leading up to them. Then have a rope for you to climb up in a couple of spots, and if needed knock out walls between the apartments/houses and remove any additional staircases as required.
For example, a friend and I did this over the bookstore in the main street of Rosewood. Went in there, destroyed the staircase (just one for the multiple apartments, so it's pretty secure) and then had a great amount of space! There's still of course the risk of going outside for farming and water collection purposes -which is why I recommend finding somewhere with even a small balcony- but it's still a very secure safehouse for you to start with.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the map, somewhere like the motel in Rosewood would be decent. Knock out the stairs, then you have a bunch of rooms with a balcony/walkway to put water collection stuff on.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This is where I'm currently at in Muldraugh, it's been a very good location for me, and I haven't seen a single zombie for 10 in-game days, perhaps more:

I made a very simple cabin and I can fish from inside and fast-forward time without being found by a zombie if one ever shows up:

Even started a daily routine of exercise, run around the lake, forage, fish and it's been pretty chill so far. I was thinking that it would be pretty cool if there were hallucinogenic mushrooms that made you hear or see zombies or noises similar to them. Would be interesting imo

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

Most of what I'm looking for are areas mostly enclosed by walls or fences that zombies can't attack, I'm a cheap loser and I want to play Hardcore The Sims in peace :v:

You could consider setting in Custom Scenario that zombies can't damage player construction and hold yourself to "realism" in design. I always find the sledgehammer trick to the stairs just about as bothersome mentally as zombies not busting down my doors, especially with rooftop farms. What gets me to leave the safety of the base is Expanded Helicopter Events and Save Our Station, since I like having the Emergency Broadcasts for weather and occasional interface with Expanded Helicopter Events (you'll get a warning if you're listening right before an event).

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, so do rain collector barrels collect water even when under a veranda? Interesting. Also, to confirm - if you leave pots and buckets out (like you have) they collect fresh water, right? And don't require purification like the collection barrels do, since I assume the game figures you must be using a dirty garbage bag or something...
Speaking of the collector barrels, is there a mod to change it so it doesn't require purification, btw? I mean, I guess I'd understand if you've left the water sitting out in the open for a while and bacteria has formed, but if it's fresh and in a clean bag, why wouldn't you be able to drink it?

It's tainted, guess it's bad rain or something.

For a central location, I like West Point. There are a few good places to hole up there too. It's not too far to Louisville, it's not too far to Muldraugh. Rosewood is okay, but I like the river. Riverside is just so far from everything else, but you generally can find all you need there.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Danaru posted:

Rosewood has a gated community you can fence in from both sides and then you end up with a nice little community. South of town there is the construction site which is another place with a really nice choke point.

The Louisville three house mansion area mentioned above is also really good.

Basically I would mostly look for those unbashable fences, you’re 100% on the right track. Water is usually not a big deal as long as you horde rain barrel making supplies (garbage bags iirc?).

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

This is where I'm currently at in Muldraugh, it's been a very good location for me, and I haven't seen a single zombie for 10 in-game days, perhaps more:

I made a very simple cabin and I can fish from inside and fast-forward time without being found by a zombie if one ever shows up:

Even started a daily routine of exercise, run around the lake, forage, fish and it's been pretty chill so far. I was thinking that it would be pretty cool if there were hallucinogenic mushrooms that made you hear or see zombies or noises similar to them. Would be interesting imo

Oh, what are those...poles, around the bottom of your cabin? I can't make it out very clearly. That's cool though! I've been tempted to live out in the wilds rather than in one of my usual suburban strongholds, to see if I can last 6-12 months. I was thinking maybe at a landmark like the relay station or something, since feasibly in a "headcanon" (for lack of better word) sense, it might present itself as a natural gathering point for survivors, seeing as it could be seen from a large distance away. Not sure though, seeing as it doesn't have any water nearby. I'd have to gather a ton of large pots and maybe make a few collection barrels for the farm.
Are there any other super-large locations, out of curiosity? I know there's a massive apartment building in Louisville, but I'm not aware of any others.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, what are those...poles, around the bottom of your cabin? I can't make it out very clearly.

They're sheet ropes, I was gonna stay on the 2nd floor and destroy the stairs but then I realized that I didn't have a sledgehammer :downs:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

They're sheet ropes, I was gonna stay on the 2nd floor and destroy the stairs but then I realized that I didn't have a sledgehammer :downs:

Ohhhh, duh! :doh: Yeah, that's fair. If I end up building my own house, I'll probably do something similar, but build it on stilts (since zombies don't attack those as they don't occupy a square/space, right? That's old knowledge though, so it might not apply now) and then have ropes to get into the house, with the downstairs open area under the support beams being storage or something.

EDIT: By the way, can you actually build sloped roof tiles now? Or are we still limited to floors and walls?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Zomboid's currently in that weird state where the defense meta is literally perfect but also probably not intended? Like sheet rope ladders to a permanently, unassailably safe second floor is going to get patched or nerfed at some point, I imagine. Yet it's what everyone's doing right now so I can only think when it does change things are going to get hairy.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Can’t they still be pulled down by zombies? Or is that not an issue if there are no stairs up.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

tildes posted:

Can’t they still be pulled down by zombies? Or is that not an issue if there are no stairs up.

Yeah zombies can still (rarely, it seems like) destroy sheet ropes. Which is why I tend to have 3-4, with 1-2 being left coiled up at the top. Just so if a zombie happens to wreck one, I've still got a backup on the other side of the building. (Then I can unfurl one of the 'backups' and proceed as normal)

Also, are ladders usable yet? I was just looking at the relay station on the online PZ map and noticed there's a ladder by the central storage closet. Can you climb them? Hopefully you can...it'd be a bit annoying if it's still something that you can't do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Danaru posted:

There are tons of great base locations

The last time I played I started camping out at the firehouse in Rosewood. The downstairs always has some medical supplies and tools (it's technically a garage), plus it usually has some axes. The upstairs has a recreation area with a TV, a stocked kitchen, and a fuckin sweet fireman's pole (that's purely decorative and can't actually be used :(). The locker room upstairs also has a small chance of having good bags. The building is surrounded on 3 sides by tall fence, so it's harder for zombies to wander in. It's across the street from the police station, which always has tons of cigarettes and night sticks (a fantastic short blunt weapon).
https://map.projectzomboid.com/#8137x11740x3153

Up the main road from the fire station in Rosewood there are a bunch of shops that have upstairs condos. Generally there are 4+ condos all accessible from a single stairwell with an outer door. For example, above Mama McFudgington's:
https://map.projectzomboid.com/#8089x11611x3783
You can very easily block the door with a car, zombies can't open or attack the door if you do this. Or just barricade it, that's going to stop zombies from getting in for quite awhile unless you bring home a horde. Be sure to have several sheet ropes hanging down, because zombies can randomly pull them down. You can build a little platform from the windows, then stairs to reach the roof; that provides easy access to a ton of flat space to farm and put rain barrels on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And for real classy livin, there's this:
https://map.projectzomboid.com/#14178x2646x1697

This is a little cluster of 4 houses with a private lake that's almost fully enclosed by iron fence. The only way that zombies can get in is via the main road. Cut down a few trees and build yourself a log wall, done.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

This is a little cluster of 4 houses with a private lake that's almost fully enclosed by iron fence. The only way that zombies can get in is via the main road. Cut down a few trees and build yourself a log wall, done.

holy poo poo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

The trick here is to put rain collector barrels above a sink, and then you can actually plumb the barrels to the sink (you need a pipe wrench for this). Tainted water in the barrel becomes clean when accessed through the sink. Any of the squares in a 3x3 area directly above the sink will connect directly to that sink.

All rain water is "tainted" water, so pots and buckets that you leave out will collect tainted water. You can purify this water by putting it in a cooking pot or a saucepan and then cooking it. This works but is inconvenient, it's way better to level up carpentry enough to make the good rain collector barrels. There are also some big metal drums that you can find around the map that hold a ton of rain water

You can actually drink straight from puddles that form on the ground, but it'll make you a little sick. You can wash your clothes with puddle water too. The zombie plague was airborne so I assume it's making the rain nasty

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 26, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

The trick here is to put rain collector barrels above a sink, and then you can actually plumb the barrels to the sink (you need a pipe wrench for this). Tainted water in the barrel becomes clean when accessed through the sink. Any of the squares in a 3x3 area directly above the sink will connect directly to that sink.

All rain water is "tainted" water, so pots and buckets that you leave out will collected tainted water. You can purify this water by putting it in a cooking pot or a saucepan and then cooking it. This works but is inconvenient, it's way better to level up carpentry enough to make the good rain collector barrels. There are also some big metal drums that you can find around the map that hold a ton of rain water

You can actually drink straight from puddles that form on the ground, but it'll make you a little sick. You can wash your clothes with puddle water too. The zombie plague was airborne so I assume it's making the rain nasty

Ohh, right! Interesting - I didn't think of it that way. Cool to know about the puddles, too! So what, if I make a 3x3 wooden platform covered in nine collection barrels, then put a sink underneath (I assume you can move some sinks, right?), probably with a wall behind it, I'll be able to plumb it so it draws water from the nine barrels above it? Interesting

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Black Griffon posted:

Right on, thanks. Should I adjust general combat stats (HP and so on) or is the game pretty well balanced outside the drifters?

It's balanced to kick your rear end. I tried setting starting HP one notch up from default (20 up from 15 I think?) and it'll still kick your rear end but you can take 3 hits instead of 2. I'd recommend doing that at least.

Also make absolutely certain you enable the alternate mode on the propick and crank it up to at least 6-8 blocks. Hunting for metal ores beyond the immediate surface deposits of copper is an absolute nightmare and you need every advantage you can get. Including this mod, which will save you from having to manually type up and pin the results from each and every prospecting triangulation onto the map. PS: You do have access to a map by default, which took me way too long to figure out.

Also if your starting spawn area is just in the middle of an ocean or giant swamp that it takes half a day to even wade your way out of, or is some other variant of nightmarishly inhospitable geography, consider generating a new world.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Not sure if the best place to ask is here or the Deck thread, but anyone tried Zomboid on the Deck? I have it installed on mine, but I'm thinking I'm still probably better off trying to wrap my head around it on PC.

Like it runs fine but the game doesn’t play that well with a controller yet.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

QuarkJets posted:

I've never realized just how huge the map is until now :eyepop:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's balanced to kick your rear end. I tried setting starting HP one notch up from default (20 up from 15 I think?) and it'll still kick your rear end but you can take 3 hits instead of 2. I'd recommend doing that at least.

Also make absolutely certain you enable the alternate mode on the propick and crank it up to at least 6-8 blocks. Hunting for metal ores beyond the immediate surface deposits of copper is an absolute nightmare and you need every advantage you can get. Including this mod, which will save you from having to manually type up and pin the results from each and every prospecting triangulation onto the map. PS: You do have access to a map by default, which took me way too long to figure out.

Also if your starting spawn area is just in the middle of an ocean or giant swamp that it takes half a day to even wade your way out of, or is some other variant of nightmarishly inhospitable geography, consider generating a new world.

Neato. When we're on the subject; any other must-have/super-neat mods I should get?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Green Hell VR version gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Zrx4b2qLo

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

It doesn't help that armor is the most expensive poo poo in the game by a huge amount. A good armor set costs as much metal as dozens of reliable tools and lasts a fraction as long.

Don't forget the massive time investment in actually making the armor! For everything but plate and brigandine you gotta manually hammer that poo poo out piece by piece, so watching what is literally a few hours of work melting after several hits hurts the soul. Mechanically I feel armor is real good at what it does, for how short it lasts you feel like an invincible god, it just breaks way too loving fast.

Black Griffon posted:

Neato. When we're on the subject; any other must-have/super-neat mods I should get?

There are tons of real good and cool mods, the modding community for the game is very healthy and quite expansive. Want farming to be even more realistic with season long grow times, there's a mod for that. Want to worry about ventilation and coal dust and asphyxiations, mod. Want glassblowing, expanded beekeeping, more foraging options and fishing, you bet there are mods for that.

Expanded Foods and CarryCapacity are the two I can't play without tho, but my modlist is extremely long at this point. Take a look through the mod database, filtering for stuff that works with the current non-experimental version.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There’s a mod that saves the prospecting pick chunk information in game on the map, that’s essential. Honestly other than that, I didn’t do any modding because base game is fairly good. I did try From Golden Combs which basically overhauls bee raising, but didn’t get to the point of harvesting my langstroth hive.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Jawnycat posted:

Don't forget the massive time investment in actually making the armor! For everything but plate and brigandine you gotta manually hammer that poo poo out piece by piece, so watching what is literally a few hours of work melting after several hits hurts the soul. Mechanically I feel armor is real good at what it does, for how short it lasts you feel like an invincible god, it just breaks way too loving fast.

In a larger way I think that's a problem with vintage story in general. You have to put actual time into every tool so having them bust down to dust in the same amount of time as minecraft tools feels wrong. It feel like they could easily triple durability across the board and be fine.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

The auto hammer is a lifesaver with making chainmail. You can have it make a plate and then all you do is hammer out the holes in the plate. The waterwheel mod helps too. Making plates and chains as fast as I can heat up the ingots on the forge.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

Yes! this is the one I meant in louisville. It is a really good base location --- if you set your gate back from the main road a little bit very few zombies will even come in close enough to see the gate and attack it, and if they do they are really easy to clear through the fences. Such a fun base. Also iirc you can put up generators which can run the overhead lamps in the compound already, which is great for night time activities on mp servers. In our run we stuck some giant construction lights near the entrance walkway we could turn on if attacked at night and just light everything up. Also great access to the mall and all things louisville.

For a gimmicky base you can build all along this giant fence section:

https://map.projectzomboid.com/#14474x4026x2912

Blocking that off can be kind of nice just so you have an easy way to safely go north/south along the map.

tildes fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 26, 2022

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

dang I just missed a sweet gated compound on a death march yesterday after getting bitten. Might be time to move all my poo poo from my spawn location to a better spot with a water view!

https://map.projectzomboid.com/#10150x6626x12462

edit: is there a tower somewhere on this map that has 7 levels or is that just the max height of the world or something

Tweak fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 26, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh nice those houses didn’t used to have fences.

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

Spanish Matlock posted:

In a larger way I think that's a problem with vintage story in general. You have to put actual time into every tool so having them bust down to dust in the same amount of time as minecraft tools feels wrong. It feel like they could easily triple durability across the board and be fine.

I agree, I was disappointed by how fast even steel tools get worn down. I doubt they'll increase the durability, but I could see them adding a way to repair your tools, which would be nice as long as it's more resource-efficient than crafting new ones.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
God I just remembered how cool Breathedge was poised to be, literally just a subnautica-like in space, and they managed to gently caress that up

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The humor in Breathedge is easily the worst I’ve personally seen in any game though I mostly play triple-A and well regarded indies so I might’ve missed the utter trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

lordfrikk posted:

The humor in Breathedge is easily the worst I’ve personally seen in any game though I mostly play triple-A and well regarded indies so I might’ve missed the utter trash.

It is quite possibly the worst humor in a commercially released game, yes. It's of a tier normally reserved for bottom-of-the-barrel fangames and romhacks.

Oh yeah, and while Vintage Story is on the table, don't make a habit of carrying a torch in your offhand unless absolutely necessary; it incurs a +20% hunger penalty. In particular do NOT go to sleep holding a torch. Or wearing heavy armor. Some of its systems are kind of silly.