Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Yet you have an anime avatar here, interesting

poo poo, busted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Really tempted to get into VR but having a hard time deciding between Quest and Reverb. I have a good enough PC that I think I'm going to want to use PCVR (Ryzen 5 3600, Nvida 1070, 32 Gigs RAM)

Quest sounds attractive for how easy it is to set up + wireless, and being cheaper, but one of my friends who has had both headsets said they thought it was uncomfortable compared to the Reverb, and OP makes the Reverb sound better quality in some other factors too. I'm a little unclear on how the audio works on the Quest as well, or what the microphone situation is for either.

A downside to the Reverb sounds like i'd need to buy rechargeable batteries separately? My friend was making it sound like you want particular ones too.

Are both going to be fine if I wear glasses 24/7? Do either have limitations on setting up stuff like hip-tracking?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have both. Get the Quest 2.

Reverb has excellent clarity and good comfort but tracking sucks, the controllers need 1.5v batteries (which can be hard to find), you'll likely need a powered USB hub even if your system uses USB3 and being tethered sucks poo poo.

Q2 is cheaper, almost no hassle to set up, batteries last forever (and you can use normal 1.2v ones) and if you buy Virtual Desktop ($20 when not on sale) you'll have seamless, wireless PCVR.

Edit: Forgot to mention that for maximum comfort and long-term play, get a backup battery and strap it to the back of the headset. Yes it adds weight but it distributes it more evenly so your nose doesn't get dented.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 26, 2022

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I'm a brand new VR user and I have a Quest. As far as the glasses thing goes it only took a few seconds to put the spacer on for the glasses once I figured out what I was supposed to be doing. I don't wear glasses with the Quest but my wife does, we don't bother taking the spacer out ever and have never had any issues with it.
Also I've noticed the strap for the Quest is not the best like you have heard, however everything I've read has said it's easily fixable with an upgraded strap, third or first party.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Get the Kiwi strap, imo. It's got a knob to adjust spacing on the fly and is very comfy.

I also bought some controller grips that make it so you can let go but still have them on your hands. Very nice when playing a lot of Pavlov and your hands start to cramp.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What a nuisance, it doesn't look like the Kiwi strap is sold for a reasonable price on amazon canada?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'll go ahead and plug VR Wave's prescription glasses inserts for the Quest again since these things have been a game changer for me. I used glasses in the headet for a while, then stopped because it was annoying, and then obviously everything was just always a little blurrier than it should be. I got these and it's been like night and day, and they snap on with magnets so the lenses themselves can go on and come off super easily if you have other people using the headset too.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1551975794917900290

Ouch

marumaru
May 20, 2013

holy poo poo, that's pretty brutal.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No modding needed, it has folders for custom stages and songs right in the program folder.

Easiest way is to go to https://synthriderz.com/ and download Noodle Manager, then you can either browse for songs through there or (better option) browse through the website and use the one click install button.

Teebo is a good creator to start with, they're pretty active and occasionally update their old songs as they improve as well.

Oh cool, I think I need noodle manager for some beat saber stuff too

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Seems like a strange time to be giving up their price advantage now that competitors are finally starting to make it to market. "Quest 2 is $150 cheaper than the Pico 3" was a much stronger argument than "Quest 2 is $50 cheaper than the Pico 3".

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for the responses, I think I'm sold on the Quest 2.

My friend was saying it doesn't charge as fast as it drains with most usb 3.0 or something? I'm probably gonna be running out to grab a headset from BestBuy today or tomorrow, debating seeing about buying a long USB 3.0 because I'm unclear if my wifi will be fast enough / or to have the option to be tethered without being right beside my PC.

Inzombiac posted:

Edit: Forgot to mention that for maximum comfort and long-term play, get a backup battery and strap it to the back of the headset. Yes it adds weight but it distributes it more evenly so your nose doesn't get dented.
Is this something easier to do with the Kiwi Strap? Any recommendations for the backup battery?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

https://a.co/d/5Q5lR2M

I use this battery pack and get over 12 hours over Virtual Desktop. I have it Velcro strapped to the DAS (which I have using adapters for the Quest 2)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Well you then should buy it asap, see posts above about price increase !!
Also, you should use someone referral link before buying it to get $30/30 euros in credit store. Like for example, this
https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/TurinTurambar/ (mine, obviously)

Finally, don't believe your gtx 1070 is going to do so well for PC VR, so a Quest 2 may be a good idea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

Just in time, lol.

I run VR on a 1070 (and an Ivy Bridge CPU) and everything up to and including Alyx has been playable. Not always at 1000fps of course but definitely good enough.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

My friend was saying it doesn't charge as fast as it drains with most usb 3.0 or something? I'm probably gonna be running out to grab a headset from BestBuy today or tomorrow, debating seeing about buying a long USB 3.0 because I'm unclear if my wifi will be fast enough / or to have the option to be tethered without being right beside my PC.

Is this something easier to do with the Kiwi Strap? Any recommendations for the backup battery?

If your wifi is anything above 500mbps your wireless experience will be as good as wired

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I can never find any reliable info on it, so figure it's easy enough to ask some goons in the know. Does the quest still require a facebook account? I've been interested in getting one but I said I'd wait until they finally got rid of that whole requirement.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lol I already got a friend offering me a referral link, sorry! But yeah no kidding on the price hike. Might run down to bestbuy after work to grab one.

I don't have super high expectations for the 1070 but the flexibility to upgrade in the future is always good.

Also what's the account situation these days? I was hearing some news that they're introducing quest accounts or something, so while you need an account with them, it doesn't have to be your literal facebook real name account or something? (Not that you couldn't already make an empty facebook, but i heard that came with risks?)

e: lol beaten

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If your wifi is anything above 500mbps your wireless experience will be as good as wired
So this thing should be good as long as I use 5G?

quote:

Simultaneous 2.4GHz 450 Mbps and 5GHz 1300 Mbps connections for 1.75Gbps of total available bandwidth*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah if you're thinking of getting a Quest 2, you need to buy one ASAP. you have until August 1st.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

lol I already got a friend offering me a referral link, sorry! But yeah no kidding on the price hike. Might run down to bestbuy after work to grab one.

I don't have super high expectations for the 1070 but the flexibility to upgrade in the future is always good.

Also what's the account situation these days? I was hearing some news that they're introducing quest accounts or something, so while you need an account with them, it doesn't have to be your literal facebook real name account or something? (Not that you couldn't already make an empty facebook, but i heard that came with risks?)

e: lol beaten

So this thing should be good as long as I use 5G?

Yup that will be more than good enough.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Overlord K posted:

I can never find any reliable info on it, so figure it's easy enough to ask some goons in the know. Does the quest still require a facebook account? I've been interested in getting one but I said I'd wait until they finally got rid of that whole requirement.

Last I saw was that they were planning to roll out Meta accounts in August, so not quite yet.

edit: Which in retrospect makes the price increase timing make more sense, if they're targeting the "I don't want this tied to my FB account" holdouts.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 26, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just make a burner account with a temp email address

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oxyclean posted:

Your battery will be fine when teathered. I don't think it ever went below 100% even when playing hours of VR Chat.
Anker makes very solid and reliable batteries. Even their smaller ones are enough of a weight offset that you don't need to break the bank.

The official Quest USB cord is technically the highest quality but, again, Anker makes great ones for a fraction of the price.

I can show a picture next time I'm home but I just lashed the battery to the lower part of the Kiwi strap and it balances everything nicely.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Very funny that a product everyone knew they were selling at a massive loss now has to get a massive price hike.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

This is silly, VR isnt catching on and the Quest is one of the few things that goings up in users even if its like a tiny percent each month. Raising it by like $50 sure but a whole $100 is going to deter so many people.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Oxyclean posted:

Any decent battery with QC or w/e should keep you going long enough. Even the smaller ones for like the HTC wireless dealio will give you almost a second full battery or whatever.

Oxyclean posted:

What a nuisance, it doesn't look like the Kiwi strap is sold for a reasonable price on amazon canada?

Inzombiac posted:

Get the Kiwi strap, imo. It's got a knob to adjust spacing on the fly and is very comfy.

I also bought some controller grips that make it so you can let go but still have them on your hands. Very nice when playing a lot of Pavlov and your hands start to cramp.

I'm generally not one to recommend "hacks" or whatever but with you goons? No please get the DAS and some printed things to hook it up. Its worth the extra couple bucks over the other brand straps and you'll never have it break, ever.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've been unable to play VR for a few weeks because my left eye stopped working (temporary, probably) so my depth perception is shot and it's just a deeply weird experience. Day to day life is fine, I'm just clumsier, but I think the added layer of the brain/eyes tricking themselves with VR is a step too far.

It has led to me wondering about this in general, for a hell of a lot of people I suspect VR is just never going to be accessible given the nature of it, but at the same time that kind of logic just gives devs an excuse to not even try

I know a couple people with 1 eye that play VR. Its probably due to you having sight normally and your brain being "wtf" right now. I have a feeling you'd adjust over time if this was permanent.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Just Chamber posted:

This is silly, VR isnt catching on and the Quest is one of the few things that goings up in users even if its like a tiny percent each month. Raising it by like $50 sure but a whole $100 is going to deter so many people.

I wonder if they're going to announce a $299 version that comes with no controllers and can only do hand tracking experiences.

"Great for media! Even has a few games! Add controllers for $99 any time!"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

njsykora posted:

Very funny that a product everyone knew they were selling at a massive loss now has to get a massive price hike.

The funny bit is that from what I can tell, they're still losing money on each one even after this price rise.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm not concerned for massive conglomerate meta's profits lol

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mutata posted:

The funny bit is that from what I can tell, they're still losing money on each one even after this price rise.

And apparently beat saber is now included with the headsets?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

boloney posted:

I'm amazed that Beat Saber is so popular, considering how bad the song selection is. Yes, I want to dance to... dubstep?? And Green Day?

Who buys beatsaber for the stock songs lol

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Thoatse posted:

Who buys beatsaber for the stock songs lol

Most people?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TIP posted:

I wonder if they're going to announce a $299 version that comes with no controllers and can only do hand tracking experiences.

Or some ad-supported bullshit

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

I would like them to lose even more money, tbh.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TIP posted:

I would actually find it absolutely hilarious if they just tried doing the Oculus Go again.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

they are indisputably the only ones who are doing anything for VR right now. most people don't know these other random devices even exist.
they are also an intensely lovely company and i hold zero sympathy for them

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

mutata posted:

I would like them to lose even more money, tbh.

Not an empty quote

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm glad meta is actually pushing consumer VR past ultra-niche enthusiast territory and I hope they stay revenue neutral until real competitors hit the market

Then I hope they lose a bunch of money

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

From what I'm seeing in my Amazon, the 128gb model was out of stock since July 22nd, and the 256gb model since July 25th. They surely had been stopping the supply of devices in the last two weeks, in preparation for this. No chance to buy one now just before the price increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kwolok posted:

That being said if your title is then successful and there is demand on other platforms, the investment to do that development is fairly trivial once the product is released (assuming you structured it well and didn't just hamfist it for the one VR headset you were developing for) and you would be a fool not to. The only reason successful titles that were released on Oculus aren't coming to other platforms is because the developers either developed themselves into a corner headset support wise, or they have incentives to not release elsewhere.
You're not wrong that with a modern cross-platform engine if you haven't done anything particularly weird you can generally produce a functional build on any platform your engine supports with relatively little effort.

The issue is not getting it working, it's performance optimizations, compatibility, troubleshooting, etc. A game that's exclusive to Quest has one or two hardware configurations and a limited range of software environments to support. Same for PSVR. If you wanted to buy all possible hardware configurations for both major "console VR" platforms you're in for around $2000, where a single PC VR configuration can easily be the same and to even cover the top 80% you're looking at four different headsets, a half dozen major families of CPU and GPU each, and around a dozen major OS environments without even getting in to third party software that may be directly or indirectly interfering with your application.

I'm a PC diehard, my Xbox Series X and Switch have both seen less combined use than I have recorded in single PC games, but it's undeniable that it's a much harder platform to support than any kind of console. From a business perspective it's easy to see how it could be considered a losing proposition unless the developer believed the word-of-mouth from enthusiasts and potentially modders was worth it.

Think about it similarly to a Windows game developer being asked to support Linux.