Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Aramis posted:

On paper, yes.

However the user has not actually bought any crypto. They gave 35,000$ to coinbase for them to buy that crypto and put an entry in Coinbase's database that that portion of their Eth belongs to that user. No actual transaction will happen on the blockchain (apart from Coinbase's regular book-balancing) until the user transfers the coins to some non-Coinbase wallet.

In other words, Coinbase are 100% lying, and could perfectly well reverse that transaction. They just don't want to.

Oh yeah I know that, I just meant that that's how cryptobros want all currency to work anyhow, irrevocable transactions confirmed by strangers showing proof of work instead of being handled by untrustworthy institutions, so what's the problem???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Code is law. Financial system backed by math. Freedom from corrupt banking institutions and meddlesome government regulators.

*fat-fingers life savings into a crashing market*

Hello Chase Bank I demand a chargeback!

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Aramis posted:

On paper, yes.

However the user has not actually bought any crypto. They gave 35,000$ to coinbase for them to buy that crypto and put an entry in Coinbase's database that that portion of their Eth belongs to that user. No actual transaction will happen on the blockchain (apart from Coinbase's regular book-balancing) until the user transfers the coins to some non-Coinbase wallet.

In other words, Coinbase are 100% lying, and could perfectly well reverse that transaction. They just don't want to.

There is at least one third-party here even if it isn't on-chain and even if Coinbase isn't explicitly showing it. Presumably internally it just matched the ETH purchase from this user with trades out of the ETH-USD order book. When you go to Coinbase and click BUY ETH you aren't actually buying it out of some stock of ETH that Coinbase keeps on hand.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

chargeback the 35,000 bingo bongo no harm done.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Three Olives posted:

One of my favorite rich people things is a lot of them wear fake jewelry. But why, I thought they were rich? Well, you see, you can't just like wear a $500,000 ring around everywhere. So you buy the real ring, have a replica of the real ring made, put the real one in the safe and wearing the fake one is completely OK, because you still own the real ring, even if you don't wear it out to eat where it can get lost or stolen.

There was a brinks truck that got heisted a month ago in california that was loaded with individuals' jewelry. Brinks says the payload was worth a few million, the owners of the jewelry are claiming amounts totalling 30 million. It was obviously a setup to scam insurance by some really wealthy people.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Axie is not living up to the play-to-earn dream it promised: https://time.com/6199385/axie-infinity-crypto-game-philippines-debt/

"Fourteen months later, most Filipino players, including Orias, have exited the game nursing anger and anxiety—and, in some cases, thousands of dollars down. Orias grew to hate playing the game. It was boring and stressful, he says, a common refrain among the dozen players TIME interviewed for this story. “I felt fatigued all the time. I became more aggressive in every aspect of my life,” he says."

Sounds like a fun game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
But I’m confused! I thought play 2 earn was the way for us to finally elevate those savages???

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

raspurtin posted:

Axie is not living up to the play-to-earn dream it promised: https://time.com/6199385/axie-infinity-crypto-game-philippines-debt/

"Fourteen months later, most Filipino players, including Orias, have exited the game nursing anger and anxiety—and, in some cases, thousands of dollars down. Orias grew to hate playing the game. It was boring and stressful, he says, a common refrain among the dozen players TIME interviewed for this story. “I felt fatigued all the time. I became more aggressive in every aspect of my life,” he says."

Sounds like a fun game.

Wow, if you turn something into a job, people will treat it like a job and not a fun diversion? Ya don't loving say.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
what does staking mean? like, the flexa person was saying that people who stake flexa get paid or something. when a person is ‘staking’ flexa, what exactly is happening?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I hate all these assholes so much.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/liron/status/1551738599254773765

People bought into a blockchain investment in "hot spots" on the promise that it would pay rent in the hundreds of dollars per month then got mad when it only paid 20 bucks a month which turned out to be a VC subsidised 1 cent a month.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ocean Book posted:

what does staking mean? like, the flexa person was saying that people who stake flexa get paid or something. when a person is ‘staking’ flexa, what exactly is happening?

its just that rick and mort speech about slavery and capitalism in that on episode, only with coin vocab words. also even the original speech, they dont get that Rick is still the bad guy.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Unperson_47 posted:

I hate all these assholes so much.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ocean Book posted:

When you stake crypto, you effectively lock it into a fixed-length* agreement where you can't move/access the crypto. This is applicable to proof of stake systems (which is mostly less-relevant coins, with ethereum supporting PoS+PoW simultaneously) where the users that have staked crypto perform verification, and the network trust comes from a user having committed a significant portion of value into the crypto itself rather than into hashing power. This "guarantees" that the users will perform verification legitimately, as verifying illegitimate transactions** will devalue the currency they've staked.

It's very common to have, like mining pools, staking pools where stakes are combined together. Like mining pools, they distribute the gains.

*: seems like some may not require fixed-length staking but I'm not sure how that would work well
**: they can also get penalized somehow but I'm not sure who adjudicates that

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 27, 2022

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ocean Book posted:

Staking is basically making a deposit and receiving interest on it.

My recollection is Flexa works some predictably stupid way in that the network requires a bunch of deposits on the network in order to be able to process purchases. They cant like, just take money out of your account and put it into Chipotles account when you buy a burrito.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

fez_machine posted:

People bought into a blockchain investment in "hot spots" on the promise that it would pay rent in the hundreds of dollars per month then got mad when it only paid 20 bucks a month which turned out to be a VC subsidised 1 cent a month.

It's like one of those spam emails that is so poorly written so it only attracts idiots.

We have 4 WiFi units in the house and our coverage is lovely in the driveway, it costs me $20 to have unlimited data on my iPad, how the gently caress did they think the economics on this were going to work?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Staking is those networks "priming the pump" so the ecosystem has something in it for things to function.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Instead of throwing your money into a furnace in hopes someone else will throw money at you, Staking is throwing money into the furnace in hopes that someone else will get money thrown at them.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

thanks everyone, genuinely helpful :)

fez_machine posted:

lol

Ocean Book fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 27, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Gutcruncher posted:

Instead of throwing your money into a furnace in hopes someone else will throw money at you, Staking is throwing money into the furnace in hopes that someone else will get money thrown at them.

So staking is like when people just gave Kylie Jenner money so she could be the youngest woman billionaire. Cool.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

this is a funny one. https://twitter.com/liron/status/1551738606859046913?s=20&t=VD3uvM9BoA7Xk39CrBLLKg

the utility of the token isn’t actually paying people (money does that), the utility is in obscuring the value of the payout. kinda like crystal-bits in a micro transaction game

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Three Olives posted:

It's like one of those spam emails that is so poorly written so it only attracts idiots.

We have 4 WiFi units in the house and our coverage is lovely in the driveway, it costs me $20 to have unlimited data on my iPad, how the gently caress did they think the economics on this were going to work?

They are using an IoT type of radio that is lower in frequency and much slower than WiFi, so it can get significantly better range. Haven't used that specific technology, but with the 900MHz band it is feasible to get 1-10 miles in many situations (farther with good network design, siting and equipment).

Its still dumb and as someone who works with radio for a living, its irritating that they are crapping this useless junk into the public airwaves.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Ocean Book posted:

the utility of the token isn’t actually paying people (money does that), the utility is in obscuring the value of the payout. kinda like crystal-bits in a micro transaction game

Similar to that "get paid for running" thing. Explain the idea with regular money and it's obviously a ponzi. But throw some stupid tokens into the mix and at least some morons will be uncurious enough to believe it could work (because they really want it to)

Lord_Brand_X
Nov 3, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Hard Mode: come up with a non-dystopian use case for blockchain.

Anyone said, "instantly knowing who to never talk to again?"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

drk posted:

They are using an IoT type of radio that is lower in frequency and much slower than WiFi, so it can get significantly better range. Haven't used that specific technology, but with the 900MHz band it is feasible to get 1-10 miles in many situations (farther with good network design, siting and equipment).

Its still dumb and as someone who works with radio for a living, its irritating that they are crapping this useless junk into the public airwaves.

I was talking about this in the yos-thread, but yeah, pretty much this. The main problem is that they're trying to do mesh-type stuff for not-internet on a physical layer that:

1) Is purely line-of-sight
2) Is in places like "some assholes home" rather than, say, on top of a tower or a tall building.
3) Is optimized for low power (sub-1w) draw
4) Tops out at about 50 kbit/sec if you max out all the channels.

LoRa is a cool tech, and there's some fun Ham-adjacent spaces doing fun stuff with it (LoRa itself works in an unlicensed band so you don't need a Ham license to play with it), but it's not intended for the dumb poo poo they're trying to do with it (yes, yes, LoRaWAN is a thing, but it's clearly intended to be an emergency thing over short-hop, not.... Whatever the gently caress Helium thinks it is).

drk
Jan 16, 2005
LoRa on 900MHz shouldnt require line of sight, though without it range is certainly going to be more limited.

With line of sight, most radios are pretty much only going to be limited by noise (hence being able to receive data from spacecraft at the edge of of the solar system sent with a half century old ~25W radio).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

This insane lady bought a Diamond, made an NFT, and destroyed the Diamond to prove her point. The nft has no offers lmao.

https://opensea.io/assets/ethereum/0x2a9e4045185c8d778b85610ca96d79bd8ecdc720/1

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FlapYoJacks posted:

This insane lady bought a Diamond, made an NFT, and destroyed the Diamond to prove her point. The nft has no offers lmao.

LOL what a dummy

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
she should make an NFT of herself and then do thing that proves herself right.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

LOL what a dummy

I don't know, she convinced someone to pay her almost 18 grand for it, and they're the one stuck with an utterly worthless receipt. I'd say she grifted pretty well there.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

Well, she was right.

The NFT (as an asset) had exactly the same value (zero) before and after destroying the diamond.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pikehead posted:

Well, she was right.

The NFT (as an asset) had exactly the same value (zero) before and after destroying the diamond.

the system works!

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Neito posted:

LoRa is a cool tech, and there's some fun Ham-adjacent spaces doing fun stuff with it (LoRa itself works in an unlicensed band so you don't need a Ham license to play with it)

can you expand on this. it sounds cool

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Pikehead posted:

Well, she was right.

Reflects on her values as well

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
If I buy a cheese burger, mint an NFT of it, eat the cheeseburger, sell the NFT, I get more cheeseburgers...

Am I getting this right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

no_recall posted:

If I buy a cheese burger, mint an NFT of it, eat the cheeseburger, sell the NFT, I get more cheeseburgers...

Am I getting this right?
Think of the passive income your burg is generating. :burger:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Whenever anyone explains anything crypto all I see is

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

From that page:

Hmm, I think I recognize a small flaw in her reasoning...

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Lord_Brand_X posted:

Anyone said, "instantly knowing who to never talk to again?"

No joke blockchain has been useful for this. Part of my job is looking at public private partnership policy proposals and trying to figure out which are full of poo poo. References to blockchain are rare but save me a bunch of time and brainpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

no_recall posted:

Am I getting this right?

I’ll gladly pay you an NFT tomorrow for a hamburger today