Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
I do engineering design in my career, and I appreciate a couple of real world type details I've seen this season. When displays zoom in to a live image somewhere, the image resembles a point cloud, which is what you get from 3d laser scans now, only these are in real time. Also the tower and to some extent, the designs of the blank hosts look like they used generative design, which makes sense in that generative design uses a set of start and end parameters and AI fills in the rest to make the most efficient designs. You can end up with some weird looking poo poo that is crazy efficient. Cool details from a design perspective!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Marsupial Ape posted:

He Groundhog Day-ed it for over 20 years. Millions of iterations of his plan. There’s no telling all the weird poo poo he may know or saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu56xVlZ40M

Don’t forget that Nolan explored this very idea in an episode of “Person of Interest”, where we finally saw how the computer decides things. It was basically the exact same process - run a bunch of simulations and pick the one with the best outcome.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Really kind of enjoying the whole premise of this season where Hale is a clone of Dolores who herself has made an entire society based on Dolores written by a Dolores. And like the hosts are struggling with the idea of not seeing themselves as Hale or as a toy of her's. Like she's keeping William around because she's surrounded by her creations, both the hosts and the humans

The first episode of this season was dire but the season has been a huge step up. And it really helps they're not up their rear end too much this go round hiding the twists. I think they said they've got five seasons planned and hopefully they keeping doing solidly for the last three episodes so they can stick the ending and not get canceled or whatever

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only reason why I am not super hyped on this episode is because I wanted more of what Bernard was doing, but I know that this show always does multiple stories but each episode mostly only looks at one story at a time. I'm sure there's some other show thread that I've posted in where I've complained that they had all their stories going in one episode that I just wanted to see one of them. I'm a man of contrasts.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think everyone's enjoying this season. The shift in tone for the thread is night and day from the last two seasons.

It's like the Trek thread after two seasons of Picard and the Disco dumpster fire and then Strange New Worlds started.

We're happy it's good, but mostly we're surprised it's good.

Season 1 was good, even excellent at points. Season 2 was bad, but good at points. Season 3 was just terrible.

Season 4 is, to me, about where Season 2 was before we got about midway in and realized the tires were falling off the bus. It has yet to have a single episode that approaches, for me, the quality of Kiksuya from that season. So, it's an improvement on all of season 3 (which has been largely memory holed except for poor Aaron Paul) and on parts of Season 2, but I don't think we're in "good" territory yet. I'm mostly just surprised that it might get back into "good-ish" territory after everything the last season and a half did to the show.

I think the promise of Season 1 has me still watching the show, half hate-watching out of sheer incredulity at how much the writing quality has suffered and the other half hoping it gets me back to the person who was watching that season 1 mystery box and thinking that something amazing was going to be on the other side of that maze.

Ah well.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I really like the way this season's going- i think it's conceptually a lot more interesting than 3, though you definitely need to know some things from 3 to make this season make sense.

"What does winning really look like?" but from the perspective of the hosts is good material.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I LOVED this episode and I hadn't loved an episode of Westworld in a while. "There's something wrong with the park" that always works and they never should've strayed too far from it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Spoilers:

One of the things I thought interesting with the parks the machines made was that they basically made every human a different flavor of rich rear end in a top hat, likely because those are the people with whom they were most familiar.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

At least over in Foundation, they pointed out that it's predicting population trends (altho the season finale hosed that one up). Bernard keeps predicting individual actions and states in well defined time and space.

Well, Bernard is himself only an individual. Now he knows all, all he has to do is keep barrelling forward, nudging here and verifying there, ensuring he's on the path, collapsing the possibility waveform in front of him. Everything else is outside the bubble and takes care of itself.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I like the direction the story is going. Will Maeve, the most mentally stable host, help Robo William overcome his anxieties?

Cojawfee posted:

Does Bernard have any access to the data of the big data spheres? They were able to predict the outcome of humanity, but it seems like that was mostly because it also influenced things to end up that way.
Yeah, those AIs fed back into society and made it more legible to themselves, while also continuously collecting new data to make predictions from. Plus their whole plan was a sort of stasis, where they just had to get rid out outliers, rather than chart a precise course to a single acceptable future. The AI heaven prediction machine feels like as large a step from that as those AIs were compared to regular people.

Memnaelar posted:

Season 1 was good, even excellent at points. Season 2 was bad, but good at points. Season 3 was just terrible.

Season 4 is, to me, about where Season 2 was before we got about midway in and realized the tires were falling off the bus. It has yet to have a single episode that approaches, for me, the quality of Kiksuya from that season. So, it's an improvement on all of season 3 (which has been largely memory holed except for poor Aaron Paul) and on parts of Season 2, but I don't think we're in "good" territory yet. I'm mostly just surprised that it might get back into "good-ish" territory after everything the last season and a half did to the show.

I think the promise of Season 1 has me still watching the show, half hate-watching out of sheer incredulity at how much the writing quality has suffered and the other half hoping it gets me back to the person who was watching that season 1 mystery box and thinking that something amazing was going to be on the other side of that maze.

Ah well.
I feel like there's less risk of the wheels falling off the bus, just because the story is being told in a far more straightforward manner. Anyway, looking forward to this all being a simulation and this season ending up being hated even more than the ending of S2.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I do enjoy the twist where it's a park for hosts filled with humans. Also that Robo William has developed a conscience while human William lost his.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hopefully the lesson they leave us with is it doesn’t matter if you body is synthetic or real, human nature is a curse that needs to end.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm pretty sure I have lost all grasp on what the gently caress is happening in this show

I'm along for the ride but, I feel like I missed a season

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

I stopped watching I think halfway through ep1 of season 3, mainly because I couldn't remember what had happened in season 2, but apparently season 4 is ok so far, so I watched a re-cap and binged s3.

Decided to write down my thoughts as from the other side I've always found it interesting to read new watcher's views on things, so here they are!

Overall I liked the new French billionare antagonist & their backstory / motivation quite a lot. Fit into the world well and wasn't a complete idiot (until the finale), e.g. not being in the room when uncovering Charlotte, which is always nice for a villain.

Maeve probably could have spent a couple of minutes thinking up a better plan to escape the WarWorld sim before getting a glorified Roomba without any weapons to slowly jog out of a high security facility with her brain in its exposed hand.

Liked the reveal that Dolores didn't actually save any other Hosts from the park, just copies of herself (apart from Bernard).

I found the RICO guy with the word-shirt instantly diagnosing Caleb as being on the apparently super-new Genre drug by sight & knowing the next phases a bit jarring.
Could probably have done with a bit more 'wtf' from both of the RICO people through that whole subway / releasing info scene; they seemed to go along with everything a bit too easily.
(finale edit: fingers crossed for RICO-shirt guy :pray:)

I think I saw some Bike-lores memes / comments, so expected the Bike to be an actual uploaded host / Delores copy rather than just a drone.

I assume we were still meant to be unclear as to if William was real / a host, if his hallucinations were 'real' or programmed in etc? I found it hard to care about this tbh, though multi-William group therapy was fun. Also appreciated the bedroom reveal not being that he was turned bad by being beated/abused by his Dad.
(finale edit: fairly sure that confirms him as human, at least for this season)

RIP Caleb's robot workmate buddy. (Though I assume we're meant to read that scene as Dolores hijacking the robot to buy time while she arrived, rather than the robot actually caring for Caleb)
Also RIP Maeves hijacked WarWorld escape drone buddy. (Actually, on reflection I think I felt worse about those two robots dying than any of the humans/hosts that died in the season)

RIP Hector too I guess, but I think it was too long since I saw the earlier seasons and he spent too long as an unthinking host in this season for his death to hit that hard.

Was a group of teens spraypainting the maze when Charlotte was walking her kid home to her ex post Insight-reveal?
Was that just a similar shape, or was there meant to be some deeper significance to that?

There was a LOT of dragging dead / knocked out bodies around by the legs. (I guess it's nice they showed people cleaning up their crime scenes)

I can buy Charl-Dolores going rogue vs orig-Dolores after to being set up to die, plus orig-Charlotte's feelings coming back and her family getting killed, but I really, really, don't see why Maeve & Clementine were, apparently happily, going along with Serac while tried to destroy every other host he could get his hands on.

Lol @ Solomon's "Both of those analogies are somewhat facile" to Dolores' "We aren't so different, you and I" attempt

Even in the kitchen/Solomon base fight, when Delores specifically asks Maeve why she's fighting her, her response is just 'we're not alike'. Did I miss something here? I guess Serac really just managed to 100% persuade Maeve that Delores was going to turn her daughter into a soldier/sacrifice her, and she wouldn't budge from that view?
Why would Dolores even do that - she'd already shown she preferred to use copies of her self for the important stuff. Feels like they should have gone with Serac managing to reprogram Maeve or something instead.

If Maeve wanted to keep her daughter safe, letting Serac get the codes to their hidden heaven server seems like a terrible idea.
(edit - I wrote most of the above before the second half of the finale. So Maeve really only realised she couldn't trust the obviously evil team's deal and that it made more sense to team up with the other hosts at the very very very end? Either that, or she wanted to see her daughter so-so-so much she was willing to let the 'I want to destroy all hosts' guy get her address as well? Boooo.)

Also don't really follow Char-Dolores' motivation in attacking orig-Dolores and giving her to Serac, beyond just really really really hating her(self)? Does she not at least share the aims of some of orig-Dolores' plans, or at least see giving a copy of most of her code to the tech genius trying to kill all hosts as a bad idea?
(e: wrote the above pre-finale. Post-finale last scene edit: ok, well there's some motivation, though if orig-Dolores plan was to sacrifice herself to destroy Rohoblo anyway, why did Char-Dolores bother to interfere?)

Given the amount of Host-fighting, I think they should have decided on some way to distinguish the fighting choreography from just standard movie-level action heroes who can take a bullet. Sped up movements or something.
In comparison, the 'post-humans' in the latest Ghost in the Shell 2045 thing on Netflix moved very inhumanly with capoeira / ballet-like turns and twists (though overall I don't know if I can recommend the series).
A missed opportunity to do something really silly like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhrD4i0z7-M, but fingers crossed for season 4.

In the finale I half expected Caleb asking Rehoblo what would happen with the strategy would be the key to actually giving it the strategy. If it didn't know what the strategy was, how could it predict what the results of the strategy would be?

I did, however, call that the plan continued on past 'the collapse of human civilisation' to a something better for both Humans & hosts, which I think is the idea?
Was begging someone to point out that humanity collapsing in 150 years isn't as big of a deal as it seems if plan B is humanity collapsing in 300 years, which was what would happen under Rehobolo's plan anyway?

Didn't like the magical moments in the finale of Maeve/Dolores having a telepathic heart-to-heart in the fields while Dolores was deleted or Maeve just being able to power-of-love override Serac's freezing switch.

Also a bit ehh at the fairly tired 'we took the super-smart idea of linking our good computer directly to the bad one and surprise surprise the bad one took over!!!' (from Serac's POV) in the finale.

Guess I should mention Bernard's season-long roadtrip in some way? His journey in the 1st half felt a lot more exciting than the second, but I enjoyed his bodyguard's constant snark.
Also gave us the starting theme, which continues to own, played on lute, and a tech chainsawing a dragon to parts, so A+ just for those. Not 100% sure I get what he was doing in the end, other than he's woken up some time in the dusty future.

Not sure why the starting acts of the 'new world' Meave & Caleb see on the bridge at the end is a few random office windows exploding (stop storing explosives in skyscrapers, people), but dark side of the moon was a nice outro coda given the eclipse theme used for Rheoblo throughout.

And where are we with Dolores-es going into season 4? Am I right in thinking there's at least one of her still around in the constantly-hanged Host's body?

Overall, I thought the season was good, with Bernard's story being more interesting in the first few episodes while I was less into Caleb/Dolores' then that switched by mid-season. Maeve's story was pretty strong throughout, barring not really liking her motivation.

I think if I hadn't been binging it it would have seemed fairly slow going.
Would be interested to hear what the general views on s3 were in the thread especially if they're very different.

Onto season 4!

Clean Your Teeth fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 25, 2022

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I really wish robo-william had sassed back to Hale with "gee, i dunno why i'm loving up so much, maybe you should take that up with whoever built me?"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/sagehyden/status/1551343042132692992

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Apparently the S4 ratings aren't comparable, due to there being a new platform to watch the show on not included there?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Wouldnt suprise me if those numbers are accurate

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

To be fair this season snuck up on me, like it seemed that it was dropped with no fanfare at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Westworld is inexplicably not on the Home Screen of my HBO app :confused:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 26, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

Westworld is explicably not on the Home Screen of my HBO app :confused:

Is that because it’s Monday, not Sunday?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
This is a fun season. Last episode was good because it was Terminator 2. This episode was good too because it was literally The loving Matrix. Right down to Rebels rescuing of an awoken human. I hope next episode is Aliens.

Also, the dialogue got better, so my “dog poo poo dialogue is a tip off” theory is still in play.

Also, I have turned the corner on Halores. Love the villain shtick, now. The human chair poo poo jumped the sharked in the best of ways. I bet she’s the only one that calls the outside humans ‘Rebels’, too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Is that because it’s Monday, not Sunday?
I scrolled around and didn’t see it. Even last night, it took some finding and didn’t pop up in my “continue watching” right away.

What is HBO even doing

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So if the rebels are the last unflied humans, who wrote the loops for the other people at the diner?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So if the rebels are the last unflied humans, who wrote the loops for the other people at the diner?

I was going to raise the same question. Maybe the city is walled off and everyone outside the perimeter are not infected. Everything outside the “Walled Garden” could be desert wasteland.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Josh Lyman posted:

I scrolled around and didn’t see it. Even last night, it took some finding and didn’t pop up in my “continue watching” right away.

What is HBO even doing

Same thing Disney is - Assume you are mindlessly hooked to the shows you watch and in desperate need of having other crap shoveled in front of you to choose from.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Marsupial Ape posted:

I was going to raise the same question. Maybe the city is walled off and everyone outside the perimeter are not infected. Everything outside the “Walled Garden” could be desert wasteland.

Right at the end of the episode, Dolores says, "They have the whole world in there" when she's talking to Teddy. I'm assuming she means the machine in the secret room that projects the red cityscape. So, I'm guessing you can zoom out and see the entire world.

Would have been an effective kicker for them to show it, though.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I thought some of the desert rebels were just immune for whatever reason, but live out there so they "can't be tracked" like badlands guy said. because otherwise you get hunted for sport. so like some of them did get flied as kids but while the brainwashing didn't take, inside wherever the sensor perimeter is Hale can still track them. like how we see with the Outliers, where she knows instantly when they pop. I figure a lot of the desert people are Outliers who either escaped or originals who got out of dodge when poo poo hit the fan.

I assume likewise the crew they send into the park to run missions and extract Outliers are probably unflied clean humans, so they can go under the radar.

as for the diner hosts, I mean it's the host's world, the city is just the park that the hosts go to now, which implies they go/can be sent other places too. like we see that drone too, so I just assumed Hale is actively hunting "rebels" in the desert, and is using T800 style insurgents and poo poo as well

it's interesting that, assuming out there in the desert there might be free hosts and humans co existing generally, and even in the city it seems like Hale is frustrated by most host's indifference to her whole transcending their humanity plan, there might be a sizable contingent of hosts who are just like, fine with humans. like I wonder how many blended host human families there are out there farming dirt. beautiful post apoc American pastoral

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I don't remember it being implied the people in the diner were flied and in loops. Just the two hosts there were meant to hitch a ride and infiltrate the rebels.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This canary in a coalmine thing, I suppose they think Hemsworth is a fly infested human and don't know he's a robot?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah i can't remember if they know stubbs is a host or not. or even if they have a way of identifying them, you'd think they would

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mandrel posted:

yeah i can't remember if they know stubbs is a host or not. or even if they have a way of identifying them, you'd think they would

Maybe I missed it, too, but I can't imagine they know that about Bernard or Stubbs. There's no way they'd trust hosts regardless of what they claimed, at least you'd think. They're already paranoid enough about the two of them, since they're strangers who showed up acting real confident and seem to know more than they should.

The Dave posted:

Hopefully the lesson they leave us with is it doesn’t matter if you body is synthetic or real, human nature is a curse that needs to end.

Intense Battlestar Galactica vibes from this episode, on this point. That Hale/William scene where she philosophizes about being a god and he laments that they're still derivative of humanity brought me back to that very excellent BSG scene where Cavill laments that he wants to "see gamma rays and smell dark matter." The hosts are an advanced AI that could have any form they wanted or even no form at all, but they're still operating within these human parameters, in humanoid forms, interacting with the world through sensations and emotions as a human might perceive them.

I hope the Sublime becomes important later as a kind of evolved counterpoint to what Hale is doing, where the Valley Beyond hosts have transcended human concerns and thus don't really care about humanity or embodiment anymore. Hale's petty tyranny, her attempt to control and punish humanity as a form of revenge, is so empty and small as a "master plan." Why bother? She could send hosts to other planets, build self-sufficient colonies lightyears away and transcend her human origins so exponentially that "humanity" was merely a distant speck of memory in her story.

But she won't, because she's like an angry teenager.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thinking back to the very start of the season, Bernard running those simulations were totally happening in the Sublime. The transcended hosts are the ones who gave Bernard all his information, that's why his simulation was so accurate - it came from Hale's own network.

Which suggests that her transcended hosts see just how toxic she is and are using Bernard to stop her in the only way they can given that they only exist as simulations now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

But Teddy exists and isn't a simulation!

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

This show is so far up it's own rear end, but I can like that because it lets me keep looking forward to robot Ed Harris saying crazy/silly poo poo.

Every time someone, especially a "crazy" person mentions The Tower, I think of Nightmare Dog.

Is that 4 note tune the Tower and the speakers most often play supposed to be the opening notes to something remotely recognizable? At first I thought it might be the Beethoven that per IMDB was used back in season 2 or the similar-ish Handel from this ep, but that could easily be my imagination.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Which suggests that her transcended hosts see just how toxic she is and are using Bernard to stop her in the only way they can given that they only exist as simulations now.

Very possible.

I hosed up and missed a solid 10 minutes of this episode (I paused at the human chair scene, then resumed after my brother started watching on my HBO account and jumped right to Stubbs on a boat.)

Now I’ve gone back, and am even more confused about Hale’s agenda. She wants the hosts to transcend, resents that they want to continue reveling in human torture. But she still wants to do it herself. And why do they even have the option? Why was this puppet show of fly-people even a necessary step if Hale considers it vulgar or boring?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Weren't Hale's "Ascended" hosts just a brain sphere in those sleek non-human floating robots? I thought Bernard is the only one with the encryption key for robot heaven. Hale just seems to want physical robot hosts who are not human derived. (but whose whole life to date was a few years loving around with humans in haleworld)

I also think they're going to larger scifi route of Banks/Reynolds/et. al. In that the park simulation running in the Hoover Dam isn't the Sublime, just a park sim with a gateway into the real deal. If you draw from the larger historical base the Sublime is what happens when your conscience ascends beyond worldly bounds to a new realm. Those who walked the path to the valley beyond have transcended their physical form whereas hale and her young hosts cannot see beyond their petty and small physical human games.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is a fun season. Last episode was good because it was Terminator 2. This episode was good too because it was literally The loving Matrix. Right down to Rebels rescuing of an awoken human. I hope next episode is Aliens.

The finale will be Neon Genesis Evangelion. Dolores completes her total mental breakdown until everyone claps and says "Congratulations!"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Onomarchus posted:

Is that 4 note tune the Tower and the speakers most often play supposed to be the opening notes to something remotely recognizable? At first I thought it might be the Beethoven that per IMDB was used back in season 2 or the similar-ish Handel from this ep, but that could easily be my imagination.

I've seen some speculation that it's a ringer for Dies Irae, but I have no idea if that's intentional or coincidental.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsn9LWh230k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

does all of humanity live in nyc? does host-hale have her mind control machines in papua new guinea?

seems like the implication is that the entire planet has been conquered but the walled garden thing makes it hard not to consider the scope of the situation