Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Well, in positive news there are 40% more tigers in the world than we thought.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/23/1113186725/tigers-population-numbers-endangered-species

"" posted:

An estimated 3,726 to 5,578 tigers currently live in the wild worldwide — up 40% from 2015, according to a new tiger assessment from the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).

But much of the increase is because of improvements in monitoring the animals.

To me that's grrrrrreat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah but there’s a lead lining on this one.

The statement “there are more tigers in captivity in Texas than there are wild tigers worldwide” is now a factoid.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wrong Theory posted:

Well, in positive news there are 40% more tigers in the world than we thought.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/23/1113186725/tigers-population-numbers-endangered-species

To me that's grrrrrreat!

The way you know we live in the worst timeline is that we have all of these billionaires and they’re spending their wealth on vanity projects like private spacecraft and buying Twitter and not one of them is working on reintroducing large numbers of apex predators into civilization. Preferably genetically modified ones at that.

Just imagine how much more humble humanity would be if there was a non-zero chance that on any given day some useless hedge fund manager would be plucked from the streets of Manhattan by an enormous grizzly bear with huge bat wings to be carried off and devoured, their shrieks drowned out by the bear’s triumphant roar and the flapping of gigantic leathery wings.

I say MORE lions, tigers and bears, but with incredibly deadly creatures enhancements!

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Save on creative development and just reboot the old stuff.

A T-Rex for every city.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
A T-Rex would be killed easily. A couple guys with .50 cal sniper rifles would do em in.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bored As gently caress posted:

A T-Rex would be killed easily. A couple guys with .50 cal sniper rifles would do em in.

Outlaw 50 cal

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah rednecks will jump at the chance to hunt newly unextinct megafauna.

What we need are stealthy sabertooth tigers that can give as good as they get.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Arrath posted:

Gargantuan pieces of poo poo are doing their best to hunt predators now.

https://twitter.com/rdevro/status/1549727635927838720?t=F3lFr6QfKPdC4BtQ3VzhZA&s=19

I think I've mentioned it before but I am a park ranger, seeing wolves at Yellowstone hunting bison was one of the coolest things I've seen in my entire life, and I cannot tell you how loving angry this article made me.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think I've mentioned it before but I am a park ranger

Hi, can you make a thread about your experiences working my dream job?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Acebuckeye13 posted:

https://twitter.com/rdevro/status/1549727635927838720?t=F3lFr6QfKPdC4BtQ3VzhZA&s=19

I think I've mentioned it before but I am a park ranger, seeing wolves at Yellowstone hunting bison was one of the coolest things I've seen in my entire life, and I cannot tell you how loving angry this article made me.

What is it with the yokels of this country and their bloodlust for wolves?

Hopefully some wolves can manage to kill or maim some of these parasitic hunters.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

gently caress those guys. Each and every one. But, they should be allowed to hunt wolves.

Naked. Slathered in blood. Armed with a bobby pin. gently caress em

pantslesswithwolves posted:

WouldLikeToKnowMore.jpg

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Mustang posted:

What is it with the yokels of this country and their bloodlust for wolves?

Hopefully some wolves can manage to kill or maim some of these parasitic hunters.

Arrath posted:

gently caress those guys. Each and every one. But, they should be allowed to hunt wolves.

Naked. Slathered in blood. Armed with a bobby pin. gently caress em

Wouldn't do much. There's an incredible misconception that wolves pose a huge threat to humans, but the statistics don't bear it out. This is one of my favorite things to compare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks_in_North_America
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States#Fatalities_in_2022

More people were killed by domestic dogs in the United States in April of this year in the US than were killed by wolves in all of North America since the end of WW2. They're totally capable of it, they just generally don't gently caress around with people.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Arrath posted:

Didn't go well for the national guardsmen last time Fatalis https://g.co/kgs/Z8Nwty

Yes please

Stravag fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 26, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Great Sand Dunes is hiring for basically every position, fyi.

But then you have to live close to me. Steep price for a place with such low cost of living.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BeastOfExmoor posted:

More people were killed by domestic dogs in the United States in April of this year in the US than were killed by wolves in all of North America since the end of WW2. They're totally capable of it, they just generally don't gently caress around with people.

But a wolf once committed the ultimate sin of killing 3% of a farmer's property or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mlmp08 posted:

But a wolf once committed the ultimate sin of killing 3% of a farmer's property or something.

The real Wolf Crime is making livestock overly afraid of herding dogs.

Or so I’ve heard.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mlmp08 posted:

Wolves are an A+ for intimidation but F for body count

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Acebuckeye13 posted:

ffff that article was so enraging. I grew up around Yellowstone and there were wolf arguments every week in the paper growing up. I can fully understand how they've become ideological icons. loving assholes made good on their threats and nobody fought em is the real injustice.

It's honestly chilling because I think it's a very clear picture of what will happen more broadly in this country soon.

Also, I have a bunch of ranger friends and cannot fathom them doing what those rangers did. So loving upset at this.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Reading that article, if the ranger accused of killing a wolf inside the park was so worried about his retirement, he shouldn't have been trying to kill one at the very edge of the park and minutes away from the evening deadline for shooting one.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Well, there's not that much to say. I'm just a seasonal Interp ranger, so most of my job is talking to people in some capacity—working the desk, doing programs, roving trails, that kind of stuff. Great job if you love being outdoors and talking to people, but there are definitely challenges like relatively low pay, the difficulty of getting a permanent job, driving an hour and a half for groceries, etc. Like most jobs, a lot of it is dependent on coworkers/supervisors (I've been lucky to mostly have good experiences with both, but I've definitely heard some horror stories), and the experience is what you make of it—I've had a great time at most of the parks I've lived/worked at, but living in a rural area with few people around other than your coworkers can also be extremely isolating if you're not socially outgoing, especially at the smaller parks.

Won't find a better job to practice photography, though.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

best username/topic combo

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Those pictures are rad as gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Jones Trial livestream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA5UX_MD26A

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Shitter-posting from work. Looking forward to the highlights of whatever insane poo poo Jones does to pander to his base while getting raw dogged by the law. Knowledge Fight is gonna be good this Friday I bet.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1551964031929442304?t=4YKYrclOTelMc9eUEJLtEQ&s=19

Back to falling off bicycles!

(Seriously Biden on Day Five of COVID is going to do more exercise than Donnie did his whole term)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
DOJ: We'll you see, these election crimes are hard to prove because the standard of proof is that you have to prove intent and

Republicans: CHAAAAAAAAARGE

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1551989208255827968?t=-vU7yvIXGof9ikAb7yoFNw&s=19

DOJ: :sigh:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

DOJ: We'll you see, these election crimes are hard to prove because the standard of proof is that you have to prove intent and

Republicans: CHAAAAAAAAARGE

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1551989208255827968?t=-vU7yvIXGof9ikAb7yoFNw&s=19

DOJ: :sigh:

DOJ: Look, nobody is above the law. Just because we haven't done anything about a fascist coup attempt led by the former president doesn't mean you should assume we aren't doing anything. No questions please.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I was told the other day that telling the DOJ to "do their jobs" is just the left's version of "lock her up" and just as dangerous to our democracy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Soylent Pudding posted:

I was told the other day that telling the DOJ to "do their jobs" is just the left's version of "lock her up" and just as dangerous to our democracy.

You should talk to idiots less often.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but there’s a lead lining on this one.

The statement “there are more tigers in captivity in Texas than there are wild tigers worldwide” is now a factoid.

My cold pedantic soul is warmed by the correct use of factoid here.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"Emails show Trump strategic adviser Boris Ephshteyn helping coordinate various efforts with a range of lawyers"

If I had any doubts that this world is a matrix style simulation crashing around us as the RAM overheats, that name just eliminated them.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Stultus Maximus posted:

You should talk to idiots less often.

Yeah but I work in tech so I was just grateful I wasn't hearing their cryptocurrency opinions.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://mobile.twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1551841270414413825

:iceburn:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

shame on an IGA posted:

"Emails show Trump strategic adviser Boris Ephshteyn helping coordinate various efforts with a range of lawyers"

If I had any doubts that this world is a matrix style simulation crashing around us as the RAM overheats, that name just eliminated them.

Ugh a channel in Seattle owned by Sinclair was letting Boris tack on two minutes of hate to the end of each local news broadcast a few years ago.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm like 80% positive I know the exact spot where this was taken, but either way, great shot!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Are those... numbers on that vulture? Is this a military vulture? Should I be looking for an air force roundel or something...?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Took them loving long enough.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1552068076954300416?t=nY0uS-J7DD3JGf87mxgaJQ&s=19

Still likely to amount to gently caress-all, but sounds like enough people are testifying to grand juries that they couldn't keep a lid on it anymore. A lot of Pence people testifying too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
inb4 Trump announces that he’s running for President of the United States. :smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

inb4 Trump announces that he’s running for President of the United States. :smugdon:

Probably likely in a few days/weeks, but it would be hilarious as hell if he declares, then gets charged. It would be nice for a different form of Air Bud, where Donnie thinks you simply can't charge a presidential candidate as it's treason bullshit conspiracy they're the illegal ones!!!