Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The home owner forum and appliance threads always say bosch diswhasher. Just be aware the good models are backordered 6+ months right now.

Also 8 years as a service life for an appliance is loving bullshit. The freezer in my garage has been working great for 30 years, my washer and dryer are both 15+ years old, my heater/AC is from the late 1980s, and in my kitchen I have a rollaway dishwasher that is from approximately 1985. There's absolutely no good goddamn reason why an appliance should last less than 20 years IMO. Just another in the neverending list of infuriating aspects of modern capitalism I guess, or in other words,

Just swap airlines for appliance manufacturers and I'm there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

swickles posted:

Isn't the Lowe's owner like the least worst of the NFL owners and possibly least worst billionaire?

I have no idea about Lowes but Home Depot had a CEO who was former military and tried to run the company like it was military and made the company go to absolute poo poo and lose all ground to Lowes in markets they had a hold on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The transmission on my 2013 Nissan Rogue is just about cooked, what’s a good value crossover SUV in the current market?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do you actually need AWD? Are you shopping used or new? What's your budget? Do you intend to tow anything?

Answer these questions in AI meets BFC: Car Buying Thread: No Rentals and No Salvage Titles and you'll get a useful answer

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Crosstek baby

Mazda 3 something or other

Toyota RAV

Prius

These are the four vehicles I’d wager will be recommended by the AI thread!!!

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

FizFashizzle posted:

dishwasher stopped draining

watched a youtube video and broke a piece of plastic off the pump casing trying to fix it

repair guy charged me 140 to tell me what broke off, to rig it up, to tell me whatever was stopping it from draining had fixed, and that the washer is 8 years old and at the end of its cycle anyway

so whos got some washer recommendations

LeeMajors posted:

Bosch. Kitchenaids are really good and quiet as well. But my next one will be a Bosch.

Yep. If the Bosch Backorder is too great a wait you can pay the Electrolux penalty, but Bosch is the answer.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am in the express lane to dying alone :cool:

:same: only more of a :smith: than :cool:

On the other hand, shitposting is fun

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

We have a Kitchenaid dishwasher and it does the job very quietly.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Younger TFFers trust me on one thing - work hard in your 20s and when you make money in your 30s dating is fun as hell. 20s dating is a buncha broke poo poo with people deceiving each other. I’ve had way more fun in my 30s

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Jokes on you, I’m in my 30s and poorer than ever!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Bosch. On year six with mine. Still fantastic.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Underwear is a scam.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Younger TFFers trust me on one thing - work hard in your 20s and when you make money in your 30s dating is fun as hell. 20s dating is a buncha broke poo poo with people deceiving each other. I’ve had way more fun in my 30s

Young TFFers?

Anyway, dating in my 30s was a lot more fun because I wasn't married anymore, and I had finally worked out most of my awkwardness. Then I got remarried, and I don't date anymore. I signed up for match.com, but then shutoff my account after getting a date before I even used it. Otherwise, I've never touched a dating app, and I think I'd be scared to try. I don't put myself out there on the internet very much.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

As someone who has been divorced once, I would recommend waiting many years before making it official. This is barring extenuating circumstances that may require getting married earlier. I dated my second wife for four years before getting married, which was double the amount I did for my first wife, and obviously that wasn't enough.

Yeah. I started dating my ex-wife in November 2004, I proposed January 2006, she moved in about six months later and we got married in July 2007. We were babies at the time; I was 22, she was 23. Somehow we lasted for 14 years before I decided it was time to get the hell out of that house and that marriage.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I thought Bosch didn’t use heaters in their dishwasher dry cycles. I’ve heard good things but if that’s true, not sure how well it would work here.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

Young TFFers?

Anyway, dating in my 30s was a lot more fun because I wasn't married anymore, and I had finally worked out most of my awkwardness. Then I got remarried, and I don't date anymore. I signed up for match.com, but then shutoff my account after getting a date before I even used it. Otherwise, I've never touched a dating app, and I think I'd be scared to try. I don't put myself out there on the internet very much.

There were a few folks talking about being in their 20s so I assume there’s a couple out there we don’t know about

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Silly Burrito posted:

I thought Bosch didn’t use heaters in their dishwasher dry cycles. I’ve heard good things but if that’s true, not sure how well it would work here.

Unless I tell it to dial back, my dishes come out hot enough to burn hands (and warp thinner plastic) so I dunno about that

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I started my adult life late so I feel like I'm still in my 20s, perpetually catching up to my peers

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I started my adult life late so I feel like I'm still in my 20s, perpetually catching up to my peers
Fellow late-bloomer

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Going to law school was probably the worst decision I ever made in pretty much every respect, I am so far behind most of my friends in life because of it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I remember so little of my 20s- not because they were crazy, just because it felt like I did so little of note. I finished college and went to work and that was about it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Amy Pole Her posted:

Joke's on you, my wife and I started dating when we were 19. That was in 2007 :shepface:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Manoueverable posted:

Going to law school was probably the worst decision I ever made in pretty much every respect, I am so far behind most of my friends in life because of it.

Yeah I can bet this, minus the worst decision ever. I’m pretty happy with my current setup / career path, but I’m behind so many other folks at my age. I’ll catch up and potentially pass em but phew it took all my 30s to get to the point

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

Underwear is a scam.

Counterpoint:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Where my Ace Hardware Homeboys (aka people that can’t buy a home) at

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve never done online dating and watching my coworkers trundle through and endless slew of tinder sex seems highly stressful and kind of dysfunctional. Not judging, but like it’s wild that meeting folks in person is less common. Considering it’s like the only way I’ve approached a woman.

I’d be in real trouble if my marriage were to fail. In a number of ways.

Prob just move to the mountains. Live off the land or something. Until it’s no longer possible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I dicked around and took 7 years to finish a bachelor's degree so I got started in real life/career at age 25 but I also lucked out by picking a career that pays decent at that point and started saving at least a little for retirement immediately. I did have student loans and credit card debts so I wasn't out of debt other than my new mortgage until just about age 40 but I never found myself underwater. Feel very very lucky to have had the support and situation to make that happen. Also of course not having kids helped.

Anyway my whole life until embarrassingly recently I was always mentally framing things as "getting ready for" some future moment when I'd finally Be There and be an adult doing the things I wanted to do. I finally realized a few years ago that time never arrived for me... I could keep preparing - college, savings, lining up projects, even small stuff like piling up books I'd eventually read and games I'd eventually play - forever. Like, I'll buy this RPG because someday I'll get around to running a regular RPG group. At some point I had to draw a line and say, OK, this is my life, I need to stop mortgaging today mentally in preparation for a fantasy bright future that's just going to arrive where I'm rich, or in a super rewarding career that I love, or suddenly have many hours a day to consume all the different entertainment and also finish all the personal projects I put off. I'm 47, I'm never going to do most of this poo poo, and if I'm honest the fact I haven't even started doing some of it shows it wasn't really that important. I have to just pick a thing to do today that sounds like fun today and do that. I have to accept that I'm going to do this career for the next 20 years and then retire, it's too late to do something else. I have to accept that we decided not to have kids and stop worrying about whether I'll eventually regret that.

I think you can date and it's OK to hope for a happy old age with some lifelong companion, but it's probably better to date and hope that tonight's date is fun and stress less about how late you are for getting started on building that future. You don't wanna bring desperation baggage into your date, it'll ruin it. Don't force every date to be about finding your soul mate.

Similarly, if you can put any amount of money away for the future do it, and don't beat yourself up about how late/behind you are. You'll be grateful in the future, if you make it, for whatever you saved, however little.

Same deal with school. If school would be fun, or at least an enjoyable challenge, go for it. If it's just going to be a miserable trial as you juggle kids and a job and night classes so you can hopefully get a better career, you gotta realistically assess whether you can actually get through it while being miserable, and especially whether you'll be super depressed if you finish it (or don't) and then the job you're dreaming of never happens. If you can look back at your college and say "it was worth it anyway, I grew as a person/learned so much/found a new passion" then it won't have been a waste. Because there's no guarantee, it's a risk, and you shouldn't gamble what you can't afford to lose. That includes gambling away every waking hour of your free time for the next several years.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Dating in my 30’s is pretty cool, it feels like everyone’s at a better place to know who they are and what they’re looking for. I mean, I realize right now I’m neither interested nor in a place to find a living companion or lifelong commitment, but I’m also too busy/broke/tired to run around playing games, and as long as you’re forthright and understanding about wherever someone else is at things tend to go smoothly and stay positive. I’ll probably change my mind once my looks crash further downhill and the DILF thing falls off entirely, but one thing at a time.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

Counterpoint:
Lmao

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Russian Guyovitch posted:

I did the same thing. The funny thing is, she was going to stand me up because she had been on so many lovely dates with so many lovely guys, and only showed up because one of her work friends talked her in to going.

Similarly, after like 15 meh-to-awful experiences she almost deleted her account but messaged me on the basis that I might be a fun summer fling.

Just had our 8th anniversary.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Manoueverable posted:

The one thing that the '08 market crash kept me from doing is going to law school and I have no idea what to make of that. I still went into the legal profession as a paralegal, but spent a decade in Big Law hitting 2.4k+ billable per year. I'm in-house now, but still working 60ish hours a week (although fewer recently due to hiring / listening to my suggestions for process improvements). Only good that came out of it is I paid my student loans off and was able to buy a condo this year. I've taken three vacations in that time that weren't going to the Michigan UP and working from there. My 20s and early 30s are just a blur of work, which sucks rear end.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 27, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

Unless I tell it to dial back, my dishes come out hot enough to burn hands (and warp thinner plastic) so I dunno about that

Good to know, thanks. I just remember vaguely reading some reviews about Bosch dishwashers that didn't have heating elements and how some people complained.

In fact, from their site:

All Bosch dishwashers use a condensation drying process. Instead of utilizing a heating element at the bottom of a dishwasher, condensation drying involves a number of dishwashing elements that work together to efficiently dry your dishes. Condensation drying is more hygenic and energy efficient than drying with a heating element. Additionally, since Bosch dishwashers do not use a heating element, your plastics are safe in the lower rack.

Hey, if it works in the South, great! Hopefully we won't need a new one for a long while but I'll keep it in mind.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Career chat. I went to grad school for a PhD. Set me back several years compared to a typical career path and lots of student-level poverty. If not for the good job I ended up in, my retirement savings situation would be lol bad.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

sweet thursday posted:

Fellow late-bloomer

More like I spent 7 years getting my bachelor's (two years as a dropout) then a few years after I got settled my dad unexpectedly died, which somehow encouraged me to get off my medication, so I went on a massive spending spree thinking I'd kill myself at the end of it. But it turned out I liked being alive so now I'm paying down a massive debt that I shouldn't have had in the first place. Just #bipolarthings :shrug:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Whelp the "being COVID-19 free" ride ended July 26, 2022. Time to hole up in my room for a week.

I'd try to get Paxlovid but I don't think I'm elegible.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, this newest variant is ripping through everyone right now :(

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Whelp the "being COVID-19 free" ride ended July 26, 2022. Time to hole up in my room for a week.

Good luck, I have a friend whose kid finally got it last week and now they have it this week. They're not particularly happy at the moment, but not doing super bad. Kid's fine now which is ironically annoying because he's a kid I gather.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'd try to get Paxlovid but I don't think I'm elegible.

Why can’t you get paxlovid?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

3 DONG HORSE posted:

More like I spent 7 years getting my bachelor's (two years as a dropout) then a few years after I got settled my dad unexpectedly died, which somehow encouraged me to get off my medication, so I went on a massive spending spree thinking I'd kill myself at the end of it. But it turned out I liked being alive so now I'm paying down a massive debt that I shouldn't have had in the first place. Just #bipolarthings :shrug:
The important thing is you show up to GDTs this season as well as you have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

sweet thursday posted:

The important thing is you show up to GDTs this season as well as you have

lmao i do my best