Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

There are several videos on YouTube of dudes running Goldwings around a track, including some darksiders taking theirs around Laguna Seca - don't remember seeing any tires shredding, believe it or not.

Ari and Zack did a hot lap on that track in a Goldwing + K1600GT a few years back, and they may have even tried it 2-up (it's been a while since I watched the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0hv0NEvXWI

Yes but are they going as fast as they possibly can is my point. It's easy enough to just ride around a race track. Also one lap is not the same as many laps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair, Goldwings do decent around a track, as well as on autocross tracks, for what they are. I follow a russian guy on Instagram who absolutely flogs a 1200 around an autocross track on a regular basis. Their main drawbacks are very obviously weight, and the fact that their suspension is not designed for track use. I think you'd also heat soak the brakes after a bit of good hard track use as well

Let me be clear: They are not good track bikes

BUT, they are not completely underwater either.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd say it'd depend on the track too. If you have multiple braking events from 200kmh+ into slow corners every lap your front tyre and brakes will have a bad time after just a handful of laps; if you were at Phillip island you could probably ride all day.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 19, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Yes but are they going as fast as they possibly can is my point. It's easy enough to just ride around a race track. Also one lap is not the same as many laps.

In the video w/ Ari and Zack: as fast as they can, yes. Multiple laps, no

The darksider dudes I didn't bother to watch

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Let's break this down logically.

Any tyre you would take to a track is designed for a ~200kg bike. Nevertheless you can destroy a rosso or whatever in like 10 laps if you're a fast rider on a literbike, on a track that features at least some heavy braking.

Now look at the goldwing. It's not that fast but it has 30% more mass to halt, so you have to brake either much harder or for much longer. You also have to brake to a slower speed because the bike itself can't turn in as quick or late, nor can it lean as far and carry as much corner speed. You're pretty much forced into extreme v-shaped lines.

Tires are made to run in a certain temp range. If you try to run a super sticky soft sporty tyre on cold rainy streets on a big touring bike, it will likely cold-tear itself apart in a couple of thousand miles because it never gets warm enough to get pliable, and the grip will mostly be poor. On a track it would warm up very quickly and feel great for a couple of laps, before becoming too flexible and starting to lose it's shape under load.

Something like an angel gt will work fine when it's cold because it's made for a lower temperature range; if you go on a track and start hammering it, just the straight line speed alone (the tyre is flexing continually when the bike is moving, not just when you brake or accelerate) will pump so much heat into the rubber that small chunks will start coming off, let alone any corner shenanigans.

So in our goldwing track scenario we're left choosing between a tyre that will work great at full pace for a handful of laps before overheating and starting to collapse and fold under the weight, or a tyre that will work ok-ish for a bit longer if you're willing to hold back a lot. So your options are go all out for a few laps then pit cause your soft tires have given up, or ride to around slowly to preserve your touring rubber on a track ie what's the point.

This isn't really a problem you can solve at the machine or rider level, you need to convince a tyre company to build a tyre that's both strong enough in it's construction to cope with 300kg's of punishment, and grippy enough to make the exercise worthwhile. This is totally possible, but who would do that and why? Where's the market?

Luckily, it looks like king of the baggers is driving tyre development a little bit because the bikes have gotten a fair bit faster and more capable, but they aren't getting lighter. Assuming all the low hanging fruit (things like swingarms, chassis mods, brakes etc) was gathered in the first season, it implies Dunlop have made a tyre with more performance for them to extract, because the bikes can only go as fast as the tyres let them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Let's break this down

This isn't really a problem

No one (except that one russian autocross guy, and magazine dudes for youtube cred) is seriously tracking a goldwing. You could buy a couple of track bikes for the cost of a goldwing, usually.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E:^^^ well yeah, clearly it's cause you can't really buy tyres that would make it worthwhile. That's my whole point.

Just looked it up, they are running the standard motoamerica superbike slicks, which lines up because they do about half the laps off the literbikes. That's not cause they're running out of gas.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 19, 2022

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That was certainly more gold wing track content than I expected to come back to. I was just curious if Jim was gonna go wild with it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEUXX3wyj-c

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tl:dw: the king of the baggers race bike is 30 seconds faster around laguna seca than a Harley with ohlins shocks and a 131 kit.

This just goes to show that the king of the baggers bikes are race bikes with bags rather than baggers that go racing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What’s the gap between a stock R1 and Toprak’s?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Much smaller I'd say. You'd have to have toprak ride them back to back but in general, the starting point for building toprak's bike is already very well suited to the task and thus only needs to be modified to take advantage of the extra potential the rider, tyres and uncorked engine make possible. It's already a very fast bike so the gains are small. Otoh a factory bagger is nowhere near suited to the job, is very slow in every way, so you can make huge multi-second gains by changing crude aspects of the bike like it's basic geometry and tyre sizes and stuff.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Interview with Toprak’s team principal and overlook of his bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3SALhEu_5Q

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I particularly like them throwing their carefully crafted chassis finesse in the bin in favour of giant slabs of metal just welded on everywhere. World's fastest meathead.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I was surprised by that. I had assumed the rules would mandate the frame be production.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is in that it's a modified standard frame, they can't build a bespoke one. Superstock have to run totally standard frames.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://www.ksl.com/article/50445474/motorcyclist-dies-in-i-15-collision-with-tesla-on-autopilot-uhp-says

quote:

Motorcyclist dies in I-15 collision with Tesla on autopilot, UHP says

DRAPER — A motorcycle rider died after being hit by a car on I-15 in Draper Sunday morning.

The motorcycle was southbound on the freeway near 15000 South when a Tesla hit it from behind about 1:10 a.m., according to Utah Highway Patrol.

The impact from the collision threw the rider from the motorcycle and the rider died at the scene.

The Tesla's driver told investigators he did not see the motorcyclist. The car's autopilot was on at the time of the crash, UHP said.

"Just because your vehicle may be equipped with driver-assisted settings or auto-pilot features, all the vehicles still require the operator of that vehicle to still be attentive and still be watching the road," said UHP Cpl. Michael Gordon, adding that there was little that the motorcyclist could have done to drive more defensively.

The motorcyclist's name has not yet been released.

gently caress elon and his stupid loving cars.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remember how fast and hard they cracked down on texting and driving? How many funerals do we need before they do the same for autopilot?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Remember how fast and hard they cracked down on texting and driving?

....no?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Remember how fast and hard they cracked down on texting and driving?

[citation needed] because I dodge these fuckers trying to kill me daily.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Huh, they did around me. Issuing wild rear end tickets for it and everything.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I don't know a single person who's been ticketed for phone use while driving. A couple of 'warnings', like a cop pulls up next to them and literally wags their finger before driving off.

Conversely, I see cops on their phones while driving all the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Remember how fast and hard they cracked down on texting and driving? How many funerals do we need before they do the same for autopilot?

The fines for that here are huge but nobody cares and pigs don't enforce it because they do it too, have literally dodged a texting cop car on my bicycle.

Also:

KidDynamite posted:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

KidDynamite posted:

This.

Teslas are the only vehicles I give a second thought to when riding around them, always wondering if today’s the day autopilot decides motorcycles aren’t objects.

I’d rather ride around a drunk or someone texting.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't know a single person who's been ticketed for phone use while driving. A couple of 'warnings', like a cop pulls up next to them and literally wags their finger before driving off.

Conversely, I see cops on their phones while driving all the time.

Lol my kid got ticketed for it a couple months back.

Also, at least in WA cops have specific exceptions from those rules because they have special training or something.

Lol. ACAB

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Teslas I worry around because my anecdotal evidence is that anyone I know that bought a Tesla were never interested in driving cars before and I don't believe they're gonna be good at it

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Also sometimes they're empty? :shrug:

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Local town of Hollister decides to fix the road to stop those pesky motorcyclists who like to drag race on it: https://www.ksbw.com/article/incorrectly-painted-lanes-hollister/40694719

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ah yes, America’s favorite road infrastructure. loving paint.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The vagueness of their response suggests that the problem might run a little deeper than the contractor misinterpreting plans, but that's just me.

quote:

"It was not designed to look very odd."

I'm angry about bees. I've recently grown to appreciate the added windflow of a naked bike, but after digging the second stinger out of my neck in less than a month I'm debating putting the windscreen back on. I absolutely will not wear a scarf on a Triumph, I will not be that guy I WILL NOT.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
At some point surely there will be a standardized radar retroflector I can just put on my motorcycles and bicycles to light them up for any self-driving vehicles.

I’m one of the optimists that thinks self-driving cars might be less likely to hit me than human-driven. Could be wrong, we will see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

I’m one of the optimists that thinks self-driving cars might be less likely to hit me than human-driven. Could be wrong, we will see.

Lol

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm angry about bees. I've recently grown to appreciate the added windflow of a naked bike, but after digging the second stinger out of my neck in less than a month I'm debating putting the windscreen back on. I absolutely will not wear a scarf on a Triumph, I will not be that guy I WILL NOT.

Sounds like it's turtleneck weather, mate

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Ulf posted:

At some point surely there will be a standardized radar retroflector I can just put on my motorcycles and bicycles to light them up for any self-driving vehicles.

Doesn't work when Tesla insists on relying mostly on their cameras to recognize vehicles, sadly.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

just ride with a stop sign on your back. Oh wait the stupid loving cars are programmed to roll through them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

just ride with a stop sign on your back. Oh wait the stupid loving cars are programmed to roll through them.

Yeah, coming to a full stop and starting again runs the risk of waking the driver.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Teslas I worry around because my anecdotal evidence is that anyone I know that bought a Tesla were never interested in driving cars before and I don't believe they're gonna be good at it

There's a quote from Top Gear, at the time about Hyundai, but I think it applies. "If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is: 'I have no interest in cars.' If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving. And if you have no interest in something, it means you are no good at it, which means you should have your driver’s license taken away."

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

There's a quote from Top Gear, at the time about Hyundai, but I think it applies. "If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is: 'I have no interest in cars.' If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving. And if you have no interest in something, it means you are no good at it, which means you should have your driver’s license taken away."

Ehhh… some people have interest in cars, but buy a rubbish car because that’s what their budget allows. The quote is close to saying “poor people are bad drivers and shouldn’t have a license” which is obviously wrong and bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do not take any life lessons from Top Gear please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Have actual licensing and examination on a regular interval. I haven’t had to take a driving test since I was 15 (including getting my motorcycle license).