Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Anyone had any problems with the headphone jack on an Anbernic 351 series? The one on my 351P is flaking out, only outputting to one speaker/ear, and I'm wondering if this is a known issue and if it is, is it likely due to the connection with the board or the contacts in the jack itself getting munged up, or something more esoteric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I have not but I do have an Anbernic question as well.

Anyone do a return/exchange? I badly want to switch the RG351MP for the RG353P. Twice now after a bit of back-and-forth I have been told, "Hi friend,
I consult we manager." and then no response.

I'm very close to just mailing it back to the address on their website and doing a charge back because with their week of feet dragging, I'm falling dangerously close to the end of the return window. Maybe that's by design? Starting to feel some of the frustration people seem to have for this company

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Anbernic issued a return label so I think I am good for a straight exchange for the 353p, which is very cool. So I don't wish ill on them as a company. yet.

In adding new firmware, can I treat the thing as a 351 series device, or am I waiting on custom firmware etc? The last thing I need at this point is a brick.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Anbernic issued a return label so I think I am good for a straight exchange for the 353p, which is very cool. So I don't wish ill on them as a company. yet.

In adding new firmware, can I treat the thing as a 351 series device, or am I waiting on custom firmware etc? The last thing I need at this point is a brick.

The 353 and 553 are different processors, but AmberElec had versions for both of them pretty quickly since Anbernic sent them pre-release units. I think the install process is almost identical you just need to make sure you’re downloading the right version for your device.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Cool thanks. Retro Game Corps did this video a few weeks ago and it looks like the performance of DC, Saturn, GAMECUBE, etc, have been beefed up. So that's great. I can't wait to get into some netplay shenanigans :hellyeah:

https://youtu.be/tJR0Evx3KS0

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Thinking of picking up a Retroid Pocket 2+, are they worth getting them shipped via Amazon rather than whatever sketchy services the official site uses? Mostly planning on using this for PS1/PS2 games.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I would much rather deal with UPS or FedEx then DHL. They're not shady, but they're not so good about tracking. Even USPS is better at giving you an idea of where your package is and when it will arrive.

So yes, order through Amazon. It's probably a little cheaper too.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's more expensive, but you get it in a few days rather than go on a waiting list and get it in 2-6 months

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Thinking of picking up a Retroid Pocket 2+, are they worth getting them shipped via Amazon rather than whatever sketchy services the official site uses? Mostly planning on using this for PS1/PS2 games.

It ain’t gonna run much in the way of PS2. Go watch some reviews.
It’s fantastic for PS1 and below, though. I love mine.

I did 4PX but have no point of comparison. It seemed to take a bit with customs, etc. but I also didn’t know whether poo poo was just slow out of China given their Covid outbreak at the time.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Coffee And Pie posted:

PS1 is fine, PS2 is :chloe: I wouldn’t count on any PS2 gaming on it without real compromises.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Honestly, the best solution for ps2 right now if you have a half decent phone is going to be a grip-style controller for it

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
On Android, that's true. On iPhone you have to jailbreak it to give emulators access to Just in Time compilation, which is how they can use their dynamic recompilers. I haven't tried it myself but it seems like a pain in the rear end.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Nickoten posted:

On Android, that's true. On iPhone you have to jailbreak it to give emulators access to Just in Time compilation, which is how they can use their dynamic recompilers. I haven't tried it myself but it seems like a pain in the rear end.

I haven’t been in the jailbreaking scene in awhile so this may amount to being a shitpost, but I think Altstore has JIT support.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 14, 2022

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lol the only way to apps onto iphone is through the App Store w/o jailbreaking. And the App Store isn't going to put emulators up because Apple's tenuous business relationships would be threatened. onboard JiT compilers. You kids will believe anything you read.

e: for clraity

coconono fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 14, 2022

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

AltStore does support launching emulators with JIT but it’s a giant pain in the rear end. It works by tricking the phone into thinking there’s a debugger attached which allows extra capabilities.

You need a Mac, and to run an AltStore app on there, and keep Mail.app open, and need to be on the same WiFi network as the Mac (or reachable via VPN or whatever) every time you launch the app that requires JIT, and need to launch the app (e.g. Dolphin) from within AltStore on the phone rather than from the homescreen like a regular app.

If you want slightly more portability you can use JitterBug (also installed through AltStore) on a second iOS device, and after a bunch of pairing setup you can launch an app with JIT enabled one one device from the other so long as those two devices are on the same WiFi network.

Everything AltStore-based works by self-signing the apps using developer certificates. If you have a paid developer account the apps time out 365 days after you installed them, if you don’t it’s 7 days (and I think there’s still a limit of free accounts only having 3 self-signed apps installed, including AltStore itself). AltStore tries to refresh these and extend the 7 days in the background, but for that to be reliable your Mac has to be awake 24/7.

I can’t stress this enough: none of this is worth it in the slightest. I set it up just to see how it works, and because I’m a nerdy iOS developer and I like seeing how far you can push things. But after getting it working and walking round Outset Island in Wind Waker for 10 minutes I literally never touched it again (whereas I’m about 30 hours into WW on my Odin).

Installing RetroArch or Delta (Nintendo systems from GB to N64) through AltStore is more realistically useable - they still needs the 7 day refresh if you’re not a paid developer but you don’t need to jump through hoops every time you want to launch the app as they don’t rely on JIT for extra performance.

Edit: Looping back to the original discussion, none of the above needs to be jailbroken; that’s why there are still so many limitations and workarounds to the whole setup. Also there’s no PS2 emulator for iOS (that I know of) so the whole thing is moot for the OP’s request anyway.

Froist fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 14, 2022

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Somehow in upgrading my OnionOS from 3.8 to 3.12, I managed to ruin the ability for SNES roms to load like normal. If I go into retroarch and manually load a rom there, it works fine. Everything else seems to be fine, just this one console. I even did a complete fresh install and it still happens. :shrug:

In better news, my turn in the steam deck queue came up, so I have that coming to me soon, which is exciting.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Is there any way to fake/hack GBA linking on an RG351x?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Explosionface posted:

Somehow in upgrading my OnionOS from 3.8 to 3.12, I managed to ruin the ability for SNES roms to load like normal. If I go into retroarch and manually load a rom there, it works fine. Everything else seems to be fine, just this one console. I even did a complete fresh install and it still happens. :shrug:

In better news, my turn in the steam deck queue came up, so I have that coming to me soon, which is exciting.

Mine came up but I had to give it up as I was not financially ready for it, really wish there was a payment plan option for the Steam Deck

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

drrockso20 posted:

Mine came up but I had to give it up as I was not financially ready for it, really wish there was a payment plan option for the Steam Deck

I wasn't either, but when I was whining to my friend, he offered to front me the money for it. Also got me off my rear end and started to sell off my retro games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Only real way to do that would be to front load your steam wallet every week or whatever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SubG posted:

Is there any way to fake/hack GBA linking on an RG351x?

Not really - iirc none of the GBA cores support linking because the maintainers are weirdos so you can't even do it via netplay to a PC

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not really - iirc none of the GBA cores support linking because the maintainers are weirdos so you can't even do it via netplay to a PC
Well gently caress. Is there some other hack/workaround for trade-only evolutions in the Pokemon games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SubG posted:

Well gently caress. Is there some other hack/workaround for trade-only evolutions in the Pokemon games?

There's a few romhacks for different versions to sort those out, depends on what you're playing

Other options off the top of my head would be to grab your save, load it into MGBA proper on your PC and do linking that way, or just use pkhex

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Explosionface posted:

Finally got this figured out and I'm a dumbass. Always refresh your rom lists, kids!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I spent 45 minutes last night trying to figure out why I couldn’t play timesplitters2 on aethersx2…turns out I had the GameCube version of the game!

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
While I'm waiting for an RG353P exchange to mail, I'm looking at memory cards. I'm familiar with a lot of the caveats of buying micro SD cards on Amazon but the brick and mortar places locally have crap-all for deals/stock. So I think I'm stuck with Amazon for now.

I don't think I need a TB, or even a 512 necessarily. I'm sure I will nab one for steam deck this/next year but I think I can get by with a 256.

A2 cards are newer and faster but your hardware needs to be able to support them. Does anyone know if this card from amazon supports A2 and if not, would it add a little future proofing (seeing as I could put it into a device that supports A2 down the road?) Or should I stick with Sandisk or something

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn’t bother with A2 at this point.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Yeah, my limited experience tells me trying to use cutting edge accessories with any of these handhelds (other than maybe the handheld PCs) is a fool's errand. Like how you can't charge a miyoo mini from a c-to-c cable; it has to be a-to-c.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, this is annoying. I've tried several different isos, tried switching to amberelec, tried new bios files but I still can't play PS1 games on my Anbernic 351p. It just refuses to do anything after I start it up.

In earlier attempts I could at least get to the boot up and playstation intro sequence.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Make sure in Settings > Developer that log level is set to Error at least and then check the log folder via FTP or USB or with the filebrowser, see if anything stands out

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So, has anyone here with an RP2+ or RG353P done much Android gaming with them yet? I'm curious to know what people have run on these things that work well with the gamepad, given that most Android games are redesigned primarily for touchscreen phones.

The only thing I've tried so far that isn't straight emulation is "SaGa SCARLET GRACE : AMBITIONS", and I found the text unreadibly small on the rg353p's 3.5" 640x480. Still finding it super frustrating that they put Android on this tiny thing instead of the 503.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

evilmiera posted:

Well, this is annoying. I've tried several different isos, tried switching to amberelec, tried new bios files but I still can't play PS1 games on my Anbernic 351p. It just refuses to do anything after I start it up.

In earlier attempts I could at least get to the boot up and playstation intro sequence.

What file format are you using? Personally I've always used CHDs and never ran into any issues.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
That happens to me also but only with Jumping Flash

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CFox posted:

What file format are you using? Personally I've always used CHDs and never ran into any issues.

Ah, I was using ISOs, that is probably it. Gonna give it a try.

Edit: Yeah, that works. But I get the feeling I was just being impatient with the ISOs. I know for a fact it didn't work no matter what I did before switching to Amberelec before, though. Waited for ages to get that going.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 22, 2022

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Hey yall, just wanted to cross post the Miyoo Mini V2 I bought from Keepretro - it's too small for me to comfortably use. 70 shipped Priority!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008195

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

zzMisc posted:

So, has anyone here with an RP2+ or RG353P done much Android gaming with them yet? I'm curious to know what people have run on these things that work well with the gamepad, given that most Android games are redesigned primarily for touchscreen phones.

The only thing I've tried so far that isn't straight emulation is "SaGa SCARLET GRACE : AMBITIONS", and I found the text unreadibly small on the rg353p's 3.5" 640x480. Still finding it super frustrating that they put Android on this tiny thing instead of the 503.

I played that opensource metroid on my rp2+ and it was cool. I didn't try anything more intense than that.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
remapped the buttons and flipped the display on my 351p so i can play DoDonPachi on a tiny screen :sickos:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

In other 3rd party retro console news: Polymega just plopped out an 8 tweet string about how “lol 12 week lead time is 40+ weeks now but you already paid us so ha ha”. They’re going to close preorders soon until they can actually meet demand. Sounds like they are snowed worse than they thought.

Meanwhile Analogue has a turbo duo model about to pre-order.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Odin Lite Base model preorders are going to get an email soon saying wait longer because we can't figure 4gb with the d900 or give us more money for 6gb.

Glad I cancelled my lite order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Omg. I wonder what percentage of people that ordered an Odin actually received one? I canceled my preorder a few months ago and no regrets.