Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Don't think about it too hard tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I already did a few months ago and realized NFTs are POGs.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I remember when ZUN himself explained UM was about him missing old fashioned town markets because of Covid essentially killing physical marketplaces, which people's overinterpretations of the plot feel pretty ridiculous in retrospect.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yes, but the game still includes popular fad objects produced through dangerous and likely bad for the environment mining operations that have no inherent value at all and can only be purchased with fake-rear end economic clout rather than actual money or trade.

Even if the game wasn't intentionally about NFTs or Crypto, it kind of was anyway.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh sure I'm not denying that, I just think it's funny none of people's interpretations could have predicted ZUN was just feeling sorta nostalgic/sad.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

The fact that the Point Item value in UM is tied directly to how much money you have is pretty on the nose, too.

And while Chimata is supposed to be the god of Comiket/open markets she's not exactly characterized as a great person. She has a tremendous sense of self-importance and an almost naivety about how people actually view and treat markets, which comes through again in the story blurb for 18.5. She's almost like an actually earnest libertarian??

I think UM came out a little too early to really be about NFTs but I don't think it's just about ZUN missing Comiket.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

ZUN has become so powerful a satirist that his work is commentary on poo poo that happens at the precise moment he publishes.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
bold of you to assume that ZUN cannot simply see the future

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
if ZUN could see the future why would worst gacha survive

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
ZUN can’t even see the past, hence three Touhou games in a row getting counterstopped

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/richard_effendi/status/1553782506495033345?s=21&t=BPyC66r9mOPZPbzWMwVtSw

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is it the fox again

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

what does the fox say

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Steam page is up
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2097720/Black_Market_of_Bulletphilia___100th_Black_Market/

No release date set yet but Comiket is this weekend so it shouldn't be too much later after that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

leather fedora posted:

No release date set yet but Comiket is this weekend so it shouldn't be too much later after that.
SteamDB's polling of the store APIs suggests that there's a release date set to August 18, but this may change or be a placeholder (all Steam apps need a release date set internally)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Crown Peace is real.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Clarste posted:

Crown Peace is real.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Game's out on steam, btw:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2097720/Black_Market_of_Bulletphilia___100th_Black_Market/

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

Crown Peace is real.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Clarste posted:

Crown Peace is real.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Clarste posted:

Crown Peace is real.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

Crown Peace is real.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

beep beep new nitori art

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mods make this the background of ADTRW tia

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Clownpiece is literally just hanging and relaxin'.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yukkuris are now canon

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Yukkuris are dead Fumos are the new hotness.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yukkuris own and I support them

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Highly Responsive to Reverse Engineering

https://twitter.com/ReC98Project/status/1559328968884510730

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I was having a good time with 18.5 until the red spirit wave on stage 3 happened and the very first spirit spawned on the lower middle part of the screen i was in

so its bad actually

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So i've been playing a lot of 18.5 (steam says 6.5 hours but it feels like longer) and I think I just have to call it quits. Stage 4 is just too much for me, even with a bunch of cards and I have noticed myself improving.

I have a number of problems with the game, and looking at various other play throughs it seems I'm not alone:
-Kind of part & parcel with the genre, I suppose, but a lot of cards just aren't especially great OR have a cost issue that makes them difficult to actually use. There are seven million shot type cards but the boost you get out of them (unless you already HAVE your "base kit" ready to go) is kind of all over the place. I have not once ever thought "oh yeah Yukari's gap, gotta have that". The geta are a death trap. Getting mroe than one action card is a nightmare (this might be a personal thing)
-Ghost patterns are loving awful. The ghosts last too long, their bullets almost always home and if they dont home then the Ghosts absolutely do. It's just barf, all over the screen.
-Yes stage 4-on starts merging ghost patterns with other, more mangable patterns, why do you ask
-The boss situation is really annoying. The patterns usually aren't terrible, per say, but they have a lot of health and even when you have various power ups it just feels like it takes a while to get through them (presumably the latter influenced the former). I miss bombs
-Card collection is hampered by this. If you just get in a rut of bad runs you're not getting new cards, period, because beating bosses is the ONLY way to get ANY cards. And sometimes you need a specific boss to show up, which you just don't get.
-Related to that, but the way the game draws cards is that every boss has one associated with them (which is replaced by the Nazrin Funds card so you always bring home some money if you get duds) and then 2 cards not related. So you're really only rolling 2 cards per run, and if the game rolls one you already have it just...doesn't roll another one. Its just blank. So it sucks when you roll bad at the end of a long stage and get nothing for your troubles.
-More than anything though, my problem lands on the way it handles the stage patterns. I already mentioned the ghosts, but even looking ahead there's some REAL bad patterns. But the real kicker is they are so long and there's NOTHING you get to relieve this. There's patterns that last 20 but a lot that last 30 or 40. It's an eternity, especially if you're bad (either in the genre in general general, like I am, or just with that specific kind of pattern). But having seen people who are good at the game, it sucks for them too because they're just going through the often motions for a long time and still likely to gently caress up.
In a normal touhou, if you're in trouble or suck or whatever with a specific portion of a stage you can usually rely on the fact that it's going to be over in a few seconds or you can drop a bomb or hell even dying can sometimes get you through it. Or you can more easily kill a specific enemy and not worry about it (depends on the stage, the game, etc). But there's nothing yo ucan do about that here. Sit through 30 seconds of Obi Going Home, as the screen crowds with Obi and they start sending a ton of blue shots that aren't clear at all when they start aiming for you and hope you can get through the gaps they make (using the magic circle both advised and NOT advised so have fun figuring out which is which)
And also, deal with up to 7 waves. Then the boss. Good grief.
-I feel like quite a number of patterns aren't very good for generating bullet money, also. That's again probably by design (its a roguelike! sometimes you get bad runs) but I look at the later game patterns and just wonder how on earth you're supposed to find time to collect anything without dying. I saw several folks just spam the nazrin bullet money card for a few waves because hell, what else could you really do?

There are some cards to help with this but this goes back to the issue of card collection, the fact you dont necessarily know unless you look it up where those cards can drop, the fact that they can be reliant on getting past the area you're having trouble with to begin wtih and/or having them show up in the bullet money shop and the fact that the cards in question number to about 3:
-Doremy (can't equip) can show up in the stage 1/2 card pool which is nice. It instantly ends the stage when you buy it, and you still get a card. but you can't pick the card, and obviously Doremy showing up is RNG. Card's a little expensive too, so if it does show up maybe you got a bad bullet wave. Or it shows up and you just get the Nazrin Money card. Rip.
-Junko's card is equipable and instantly sends you to the boss. I think this shows up in Market 4, but I'm not sure if it can show up earlier. I haven't seen it. I think this is one of those cards that can't show up in the bullet money shop until you've "earned" it anyway.
-Shion's card is also equipable and forces every wave to be Easy. No clue where this shows up. Doesn't effect bosses, which is fair.

I have some other quibbles but those are more on a personal level, like freezing up and not going through designated gaps, or second guessing my arrow keys or my eyes not following patterns properly. Like Kodaka's spell card is objectively not that hard, just long, but my eyes just sort of lock up away from me; that's not the game's fault.

It's a shame because when you start getting card slots and more cards to play with, and you roll some decent patterns, it can be fun but so often I just run into frustration. Especially on stage 3. With its million ghosts. Also shooting red tiny bullets on a red background? Bad.
I actually dabbled with trying to cheat or mod the game into just having a bunch of lives so I could just gently caress around with the weirder cards but that didn't pan out

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Get good, scrub

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Junko's card definitely shows up before stage 4 iirc.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This fun little rhythm game came out in English today. It's good.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

HGH posted:

This fun little rhythm game came out in English today. It's good.
seconding this. it's like necrodancer, but cuter and not a roguelike, and therefore twice as good

(i have not gotten past stage 2, because i am awful at rhythm-action games, but it's still good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I had too many mimosas and impulse bought ten desires, but sadly my blind run ended when miko rammed me before her final spell

Game has actual mechanics, very confusing