Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm wondering if they'll be doing customizable Jack's going forward like in warcaster.

https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/07/26/warmachine-big-news/

E:
"In order to maintain the playability of the entire catalog of existing models, we have created two arenas of play: Unlimited, which will allow all existing and new MKIV models to be playable; and Prime, which will provide limited model options in building armies from the preexisting catalog as well as incorporate all new MKIV releases."

They are doing customizable warjacks.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I am cautiously optimistic.

The format split makes sense. Balancing casual and competitive in the same rules set is so much more work with a compromised result.

E: "We have engineered the models to take advantage of magnets... No drilling or carving or additional modeling is necessary to set up the warjacks with the magnets"

Thank God. I have a few kits stalled out because I got sick of drilling those tiny holes

Serenade fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 26, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: nevermind, their on-site explanation of what's behind a sub and what's not cleared things up

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 26, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

rantmo posted:

Oh poo poo, where are you seeing all this?

https://home.privateerpress.com/202...-Up3lRVd9LpSKz4

And on a second read, it's not that the models will be 3D printed. It's that they'll be made using 3D printing. So stl to 3D print to make some form of mold, although apparently not Sioform.

Which is really them just saying they're not going to get stuck again being unable to sell models that are in the game because the molds are done can can't be recreated.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Oh hey, they're going to stop pretending that WarMachine and Hordes are two different games

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Ok, I've finally made it to the end of that massive document and I have to say, no red flags for me and a lot there that I find really encouraging. The proof will be in the pudding of course but they seem really clear-headed about what they're doing it and why they're doing it, which is not what I've come to expect from PP, sadly.

Edit: Goddammit, I have a massive backlog of unpainted poo poo and this is going to do nothing to help motivate me to finish.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 26, 2022

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Interesting. I presume there's going to be a weird result where lots of more recent models won't be in Prime, because they were rumored to have lost many/all of their plastic molds, and lots of mangy old stuff will be in Prime a because spinning stuff in metal is in keeping with their newer Spacemachine business model?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm also very interested to see what the 3D printing set up will mean for Warcaster moving forward (and I guess Riot Quest and MonPoc) especially if they might make those 'jacks easier to magnetize.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
GW uses 3d printing for their masters so this just seems like PP catching up with industry trends

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

GW uses 3d printing for their masters so this just seems like PP catching up with industry trends

Explicitly so. It also seems like a pretty big deal that they'll be able to set up printing facilities in Europe to get around EU tax poo poo and shipping fuckery.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

But they're still using those masters to make molds for ABS plastic. This sounds like PP is 3D printing everything from now on, which is quite different.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't have any faith that any of this will be any good, but hey, maybe!

edit: They specifically mention not using molds anymore and talking about just having to make sure things are supported correctly. They are literally just resin printing these.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

rantmo posted:

Explicitly so. It also seems like a pretty big deal that they'll be able to set up printing facilities in Europe to get around EU tax poo poo and shipping fuckery.

The situation with global shipping for models is getting stupid. So PP may have made a good choice there.

Specifically, what's happening with the Darkest Dungeon tabletop game. Mythic ran a Kickstarter for a couple years back. The selling point was a hundred something high quality plastic miniatures. After a number of bumps in the roads and delays, Mythic this week demanded that backers pay as much as $70 for shipping if they want to get their stuff. Mind that Mythic already collected shipping costs. Two years ago. Also, refunds are now closed. Even though refunds are supposed to be honoured until the game is packed for shipping.

Mythic's credibility is shot, but it is true that there is a new reality for shipping things from China. Models used to be able to be shipped cheap. They weigh nothing. Pure volume cost. Now volume costs for shipping are way, way up. It's probably irrational to have plastic/resin models made in China and then ship them to market. Especially given where 3D printing is at.

This does potentially matter directly for PP, and not just in the strategic sense, in that the Monsterpocalypse Kickstarter was a successful campaign with a ton of models - and it was a joint venture with Mythic. Mythic's involvement has gone from a selling point to a liability very abruptly - at a time when the Monsterpocalypse campaign still allows backers to back out (minus fees). Fingers crossed that doesn't lead to an implosion.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If that subscription comes with STL files I'm 100% in.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

moths posted:

If that subscription comes with STL files I'm 100% in.

They're going with the modern GW model of having quarterly $200 box sets to drive sales, with additional add-ons that drop out of stock (or are cyclically stocked) going forward. So, no stl sales.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

So that's Cryx, Protectorate, and the Mercenaries faction of WM out. And only two Hordes factions in. And two new factions in the base four. They also already blew up their setting with the Infernals invasion. This might have worked for Mk3 - but I really doubt will bring people with it. Especially when pretty much the entirety of the Battle College/Warmachine University FB group just said they weren't interested.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Buying a full army of Cephalyx over the pandemic may have been a mistake

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

neonchameleon posted:

So that's Cryx, Protectorate, and the Mercenaries faction of WM out. And only two Hordes factions in. And two new factions in the base four. They also already blew up their setting with the Infernals invasion. This might have worked for Mk3 - but I really doubt will bring people with it. Especially when pretty much the entirety of the Battle College/Warmachine University FB group just said they weren't interested.

I've seen way more positive views on this than not.

Additionally, they already confirmed all those factions will have playable armies at launch.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

neonchameleon posted:

I mean, they're starting out at a pretty deliberately slow pace, I would imagine that we'll see Cryx and some manner of Protectorate eventually.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So am I understanding this right that Menoth, Cryx, and Ret are more or less in the situation of like Tomb Kings and Bretonnia with AoS where theoretically you can keep playing them but they're effectively dead factions?

I understand they blew the setting up real good but Cryx in particular was one of the most-played factions ... back when I was still playing, anyway.

Just seems surprising.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

evenworse username posted:

So am I understanding this right that Menoth, Cryx, and Ret are more or less in the situation of like Tomb Kings and Bretonnia with AoS where theoretically you can keep playing them but they're effectively dead factions?

I understand they blew the setting up real good but Cryx in particular was one of the most-played factions ... back when I was still playing, anyway.

Just seems surprising.

The fourth army release in April 2023 is some flavor of Retribution. "FRIDAY—A brief description of Dusk: House Kallyss, so you know what to look forward to in
2023."

They confirmed that all 'old' factions will have playable armies for the Prime format, but they might indeed be kaput.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Maneck posted:

So, no stl sales.

Huh. Well, add me to "disinterested" for the subscription then. What will it offer, then?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did Torruk get the short end of the stick in the Infernal invasion?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
What ever happened to the Legion of Everblight anyway? They were always my favorite faction conceptually.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Just seems surprising.

I can't speak to any GW comparisons but based on the Requiem setting, the Protectorate is no longer a political entity at all and most of the surviving members who did not go through the gate to Cyriss followed Tristan Durand to Zu but that's all we know at the moment. The Retribution still vaguely exists but Ios is absolutely hosed and the elves are all going extinct because all their gods are dead. The remnants of the Retribution are rebuilding their lives, with the largest group being in a Freehold in Ruhl. Cryx we don't know anything about for another few weeks since the Kickstarter just wrapped and we don't have the draft pdfs yet.

moths posted:

Huh. Well, add me to "disinterested" for the subscription then. What will it offer, then?

PP posted:

The WARMACHINE app will be the primary delivery system for new content for WARMACHINE. With a monthly subscription of $4.99 per month, you will not only have the ability to store force builds, but you’ll also receive fiction and lore, strategy articles, new scenarios, Organized Play content, previews, and more. For those of you who enjoyed No Quarter in the past, that’s the sort of content we’re aiming for: a monthly delivery of new content, through the app, that you’ll be able to access at any time with your subscription.

AnEdgelord posted:

What ever happened to the Legion of Everblight anyway? They were always my favorite faction conceptually.

No idea, Hordes hasn't been touched on yet other than a little bit about the Trolls.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I'm excited to see how direct industrial printing works out for them. They all but name dropped Siocast as a rejected option.

I barely keep up with the state of home printing, much less commercial scale, but it looks to be a whole 'nother beast if you can front the startup dosh.

I'm not aware of any other decent sized miniatures companies doing 3dp to consumer sales like this.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just seems surprising.

Well with smaller armies being created in the future with smaller rosters it won't matter much, any of the remnants or evolutions of those things could easily be written in. Not much of the old model range will be available for current gameplay anyways.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

So how long will it be before I can actually use my Steelheads or Free Llael forces?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So, some of the overall changes sound good but if Cryx just got squatted that might be it for me.

Doubt I'd even be able to sell my minis.

Edit: I know that I'll technically be getting Mk4 rules for everything currently out, but the thought of that being it (and thus Cryx withering from a lack of active development) is quite concerning to say the least.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 27, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Hipster Occultist posted:

So, some of the overall changes sound good but if Cryx just got squatted that might be it for me.

Doubt I'd even be able to sell my minis.

Edit: I know that I'll technically be getting Mk4 rules for everything currently out, but the thought of that being it (and thus Cryx withering from a lack of active development) is quite concerning to say the least.

The Cryx rules preview is out today for existing models. Also, they just finished the Kickstarter Campaign for the Nightmare Empire expansion of their RPG books. Cryx is not getting squatted. Cryx will get new releases, although they will not be Cryx as such, but rather the individual sub-factions.

Also, Squats have been back for a while in Necromunda. And they are getting a further huge release in 40k later this year. We need a new word for that.

I think it is fair to worry about the extent to which they will devote resources to generating rules for old models to use in the unlimited mode. They're giving themselves 18 months to get the rules in place, and some units will flat out get merged (they pointed at the huge numbers of poorly differentiated Skorne infantry - which is a fair example). That's a potentially a long wait. We'll have to see how complete this lists are in the initial previews to judge if it will be a problem.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mostly I hope whatever they do actually helps to invigorate the game, because my obstacle right now is way more finding players than anything else. I think there is maybe one person at the local store that I can try and arrange a game with, but it's really arduous compared to being able to show up any weekend day and pick up a game of 40k or MCP.

Maneck posted:

Also, Squats have been back for a while in Necromunda. And they are getting a further huge release in 40k later this year. We need a new word for that.

I vote for 'Slanned'.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Maneck posted:

The Cryx rules preview is out today for existing models. Also, they just finished the Kickstarter Campaign for the Nightmare Empire expansion of their RPG books. Cryx is not getting squatted. Cryx will get new releases, although they will not be Cryx as such, but rather the individual sub-factions.

I think it is fair to worry about the extent to which they will devote resources to generating rules for old models to use in the unlimited mode. They're giving themselves 18 months to get the rules in place, and some units will flat out get merged (they pointed at the huge numbers of poorly differentiated Skorne infantry - which is a fair example). That's a potentially a long wait. We'll have to see how complete this lists are in the initial previews to judge if it will be a problem.

Yeah, I mean, I'm really excited about this and think it's great and looks cool and good and is full of awesome ideas! I'm really optimistic about this!

BUT: I thought I'd have a look though, at when we might get something new, and from what I can tell from the timeline, er... No one but the four already up are getting anything real until the end of next year. (Maybe. There isn't actually a timeline that includes anyone else).

So like, fine, that's cool, I'm fine with that, but it feels like maybe they should have waited until they had a bit more than four factions sorted? IMHO what kinda killed their new game on arrival (sorry I forget what it's called) was that in our group of 8 players, people didn't want to be playing the same armies as each other, and there were only three to choose from. That they've done exactly the same thing to themselves, to me, seems kinda mad.

I don't think anyone's getting Squatted / Slanned / Chaos Dwarfed or whatever here, I think it's more just that they've basically brought everyone down to my sorry rear end Rhulic / Cephalyx level. I mean, I think that is literally the case, they've turned all factions into, essentially, what Mercs looked like before.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm sort of more annoyed that the predicted price point for the 50 point starter boxes is going to be as much as a Horus Heresy starter. I wonder if 25 points is going to be a different format, because that's the preferred level I would like to play at.

Otherwise this looks like a thing that makes me want to get back into the game again!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It sounded to me like there is no 25 point game:

Privateer posted:

MKIV will support small (50-point), medium (75-point), and large (100-point) battles, with models specifically tailored to different sized engagements and other models restricted from certain sized battles in order to preserve balance at all game sizes.

That said, we don't have any context for what those point values mean just like the transition to MKIII. Presumably, there will be some sort of tutorial level game, like the old battle group fights, or at least if there's not an official one someone will come up with it. We'll know more later today when the beta rules come out, I hope. I also hope we'll get stat cards or whatever so we have that extra context too.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

rantmo posted:

we don't have any context for what those point values mean

We have a teensy bit of context.

We know this is slightly more than 25 points.
  • 1 Captain Madison Calder warcaster
  • 1 Stormthrower Legionnaires unit + Standard Bearer (6 models)
  • 1 Storm Lance Legionnaires unit (3 models)
  • 1 Tempest Assailers unit (3 models)
  • 1 Sharpshooter solo
  • 1 Lieutenant Sara Brisbane character solo

There's not a lot of direct translation there, storm lances are a thing, but calling a dude on a horse a legionnaire would be wrong, so maybe they aren't mounted, or maybe it's that exact unit that currently costs 11pts.

So my guess is a marginal decrease in points per unit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ashcans posted:

I vote for 'Slanned'.

A Slannderous suggestion.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Slyphic posted:

We have a teensy bit of context.

We know this is slightly more than 25 points.
  • 1 Captain Madison Calder warcaster
  • 1 Stormthrower Legionnaires unit + Standard Bearer (6 models)
  • 1 Storm Lance Legionnaires unit (3 models)
  • 1 Tempest Assailers unit (3 models)
  • 1 Sharpshooter solo
  • 1 Lieutenant Sara Brisbane character solo

There's not a lot of direct translation there, storm lances are a thing, but calling a dude on a horse a legionnaire would be wrong, so maybe they aren't mounted, or maybe it's that exact unit that currently costs 11pts.

So my guess is a marginal decrease in points per unit.

I had blown past the list yesterday but looking at it now, it's very interesting to me to see multiple units of three models. I wonder how much Warcaster design philosophy will have bled back into MKIV. Also, that's a massive force for 25 points as compared to MKIII, I can't wait to dig into these rules, why must PP be based in the Pacific time zone?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah I wonder if Warcaster ideas of how many units are on the board come into MK4. There is meant to be some leeway in these sets for swapping units, so it's likely there's more than 25 points of stuff there, but at the same time I wonder if they're going to be playing with reserves or something similar.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Maaaaaaaaaaaan.

I *just* put all of my Warmahordes stuff into my overhead storage in my garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I don't have a problem with Warcaster being the foundation for Mark IV as long as some kind of free strike or locking rules or for melee remain. Warcaster just feels kind of dumb without it.