Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

live with fruit posted:

So it wasn't an owl?

They spend part of two episodes on this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Flying Zamboni posted:

I felt a lot of sympathy towards AJ when I watched the show for the first time last year. Sure he's a dumbass little poo poo in a bunch of ways but he had no real choice in how he'd turn out. By the end of the series it's clear that the character has a growing sense that there's something very wrong with his life and he has no way of dealing with it and no support system that can help him.

I guess I can agree sort of on my first watch, but on rewatches I just found him annoying. I hated AJ centric episodes.

Just saw the actor who played AJ is 37 and Jamie-Lynn Sigler is 41. As someone who watched The Sopranos when it originally aired that makes me feel super old.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Mad Men is a funny, funny show

Yep. I will even say The Wire can be funny as hell at times too.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Mad Men is a funny, funny show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iw0euc4qDk

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

live with fruit posted:

So it wasn't an owl?

hey buddy, growing up in the South, i can not tell you how many times i heard someone worry about a bat or owl getting in their hair late at night. i dunno if it used to ever actually happen but boy howdy all my aunts were convinced it would

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

They spend part of two episodes on this lol

Yeah this is where I was like do we really need to go down this route?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

I felt a lot of sympathy towards AJ when I watched the show for the first time last year. Sure he's a dumbass little poo poo in a bunch of ways but he had no real choice in how he'd turn out. By the end of the series it's clear that the character has a growing sense that there's something very wrong with his life and he has no way of dealing with it and no support system that can help him.

I knew a kid with an eerily similar childhood--dad was a very successful working class italian dude, mom was a distant alcoholic, lived in a giant multimillion suburban box, was simultaneously pampered and ignored--a real shithead bully with no real friends. By the time he coasted through HS and tried to go to college, he hit a brick wall because he was so underdeveloped emotionally.

AJ is annoying but might be my favorite character for that reason.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Yep. I will even say The Wire can be funny as hell at times too.

"Yeah dis the high hat? Y'all open fa carree out? I want some a dat peppa steak!"

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 25, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
finally watched Le French Dispatch (hbomax) and it was definitely not... terrible. the short Owen Wilson segment was really good, the few moments of Bill Murray were fantastic, and the Guillermo/Seydoux chapter was absolutely great, literally the best thing he's done since Tenenbaums, but the other chapters were just kind of fine. i wanted to like the Frances McDormand story a lot more than i did

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Most of the way through DB Cooper: Where Are You? and it's a weird thing. It starts as your typical true crime series on a genuinely perplexing mystery. There's talking heads telling you how important and fascinating the story is, re-enactments, recaps and reactions, at least twice as long as it needs to be. It climaxes in a cringe-worthy stakeout as amateur investigators go to confront their suspect.

Then it pivots into a critique of true crime fans, invokes possible collusion between an investigator and the suspect, criticises internet communities. Then veers back into someone finding supposed messages encoded into letters, allegations of CIA involvement ...

It's almost a parody of true crime documentaries.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

nonathlon posted:

Most of the way through DB Cooper: Where Are You? and it's a weird thing. It starts as your typical true crime series on a genuinely perplexing mystery. There's talking heads telling you how important and fascinating the story is, re-enactments, recaps and reactions, at least twice as long as it needs to be. It climaxes in a cringe-worthy stakeout as amateur investigators go to confront their suspect.

Then it pivots into a critique of true crime fans, invokes possible collusion between an investigator and the suspect, criticises internet communities. Then veers back into someone finding supposed messages encoded into letters, allegations of CIA involvement ...

It's almost a parody of true crime documentaries.

Yeah I liked the direction of the final episodes, basically pulling the veil all the way back about insane a lot of these true crime people are. Especially the way they treat Colbert, where they seem to go along with his story at first but then reveal he's actually a delusional guy who thinks he's been divinely ordained to find the true identity of DB Cooper, and even other crackpots don't like him.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ok I need a run down on paramount+, what to watch for my 1 week subscription lol. I already watched South Park and the bevis and butthead movie

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

ok I need a run down on paramount+, what to watch for my 1 week subscription lol. I already watched South Park and the bevis and butthead movie

New star trek is on that I think: it is good.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

nice, you mean brave new worlds or whatever?

I just noticed the Orville is back lol I have a lot to catch up on

honestly as much as I loved Nathan for you I'm not sure I can watch his new episode lol. He really leans into the cringe factor in a way that physically pains me and I have to take it in in small doses. and it seems dialed to 1000 with this new show

I am however still loving what we do in the shadows. And the bobs burgers movie was good imo if you like that show

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 26, 2022

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

Review is worth a watch if you missed it on the initial Comedy Central run.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

1883 is good even if you’re like me and think Yellowstone sucks rear end

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Sweet. Yea I’m a big fan of review. The pancakes gag still makes me laugh when I think about it

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

Evil is really good, and also the show Evil.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And on the subject of Trek stuff Lower Decks is fun.

Paramount +’s big weakness is their movie library, a lot of it is stuff you can find on multiple other sites already (including Prime) including material that’s straight up public domain. And like Peacock they’re not making much use of their own library as a studio.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I don't remember where I read it but somewhere on this forum at some point someone recommended Broad City and thank you because I just finished watchin all of it and that was just what I needed

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'll take responsibility for bringing it up most recently but I'm not the only one.

I can't believe the tuna episode of Kenan and Kel is #2. That poo poo was iconic for a whole generation. The show is exactly how I remember, which is to say, over the top and 90s as hell.

If for some reason you are on this forum and were too young for it or All That and don't hate sketch comedy, I'd be interested to hear how either of them track. As a kid, it was the pinnacle of comedy.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 26, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I.. put the screw.. in the tuna!

All That was the poo poo. I wonder how hey dude and salute your shorts hold up. I know Pete n Pete is still vibey as hell, I should grab the dvd of that

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm finally watching Ted Lasso and I'm ashamed of how much I like it. Is Dr. Brain any good?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

A MIRACLE posted:

I.. put the screw.. in the tuna!

All That was the poo poo. I wonder how hey dude and salute your shorts hold up. I know Pete n Pete is still vibey as hell, I should grab the dvd of that

The Hey Dude sets were still up on whatever ranch they used for a couple decades, I think there are some mid 2010s exploration photos out there.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Class Warcraft posted:

1883 is good even if you’re like me and think Yellowstone sucks rear end

Agreed 100%

1883 is so much better than it should be. Feels much more like Sheridan's films than Yellowstone, which is hot garbage.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Hey Dude sets were still up on whatever ranch they used for a couple decades, I think there are some mid 2010s exploration photos out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZoirUpwCQc lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

lol the newest Only Murders in the Building did a gag on the bird theory from the staircase the bird theory? a fuckin bird? a fuckin parrot?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Apparently Hey Dude was only on for 2 years? Crazy how time gets stretched out when you're a kid, it felt like that show went on for much longer than that. I guess I probably watched reruns for a period of time after that though.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
all i remember is watching reruns of whatever as a kid, hoping that today would be the Good EpisodeTM

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coaaab posted:

all i remember is watching reruns of whatever as a kid, hoping that today would be the Good EpisodeTM

I assume you mean the Zeke the Plumber episode

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Apparently Hey Dude was only on for 2 years? Crazy how time gets stretched out when you're a kid, it felt like that show went on for much longer than that. I guess I probably watched reruns for a period of time after that though.

I remember there was an episode of I think Salute Your Shorts where they found a cursed cow skull and then a bunch of bad things happened at the camp, anyway it turned out to just be a series of coincidences but 7 year old me was still scared afterward thinking about evil cow skulls, I think that is the first memory I have of the horror genre

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Don't know why I thought Zeke the Plumber was Hey Dude. Anyway they should've done a crossover episode.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Lastdancer posted:

I don't remember where I read it but somewhere on this forum at some point someone recommended Broad City and thank you because I just finished watchin all of it and that was just what I needed

Abbi at the Dentist is one of those scenes that makes me laugh so hard. It's wonderful.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Coaaab posted:

Hey Dude had the episode where they had spelled out the words DUDE RANCH in rocks so that people could flying over the ranch in planes would see the advertisement and want to come stay there. A couple of the kids changed the D to a N, so that it now said NUDE RANCH. Then they started to get nudists, who I guess had seen the advertisement flying over the ranch in planes, and they just didn't know how to handle it.

There's a good documentary The Orange Years: The Nickelodeon Story that talks about the development of all those early Nick shows. It was pretty interesting. I think it's on Hulu?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

Evil is really good, and also the show Evil.

thanks for the rec this is sick!

haha they're doing a ghost bouncers sendup. I miss the kroll show

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 26, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
even if you don't dig the music, Woodstock (hbomax) is just super well done as a documentary, and there's a lot a of interview and just general stuff

"the acid isn't poisoned... it's just poorly manufactured..."

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

A MIRACLE posted:

lol the newest Only Murders in the Building did a gag on the bird theory from the staircase the bird theory? a fuckin bird? a fuckin parrot?

That’s just a coincidence. Murder victim had a parrot, remember?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

nice, you mean brave new worlds or whatever?

I just noticed the Orville is back lol I have a lot to catch up on

honestly as much as I loved Nathan for you I'm not sure I can watch his new episode lol. He really leans into the cringe factor in a way that physically pains me and I have to take it in in small doses. and it seems dialed to 1000 with this new show

I am however still loving what we do in the shadows. And the bobs burgers movie was good imo if you like that show

how do you watch so much tv. truly an inspiration.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Smythe posted:

how do you watch so much tv. truly an inspiration.

You could say....it's A MIRACLE.

csimiamiintro.avi

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A MIRACLE posted:

I remember there was an episode of I think Salute Your Shorts where they found a cursed cow skull and then a bunch of bad things happened at the camp, anyway it turned out to just be a series of coincidences but 7 year old me was still scared afterward thinking about evil cow skulls, I think that is the first memory I have of the horror genre

What a shameful plagarising of The Brady Bunch in Hawaii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’m happy to announce the HBO Max app FINALLY works in portrait mode.