Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Does anybody have a good setup guide for airlink? I have a Fritzbox 7530 which afaik isn't great but could be doable, but when I tried it out the box it was extremely laggy and juttery. Not sure if my router isn't good enough or if the settings are messed up. It's got 5ghz and 866Mbit so on paper should be enough, right? PC is connected by lan cable.

e: even though NOBODY offered to help, I figured it out :colbert: It was the oculus tray tool, I had to put the encode bitrate to 0 from the 300 I had before, dunno why, but it fixed it.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

He is as always a bit ingenuous in some stuff, chances are that people that didn't buy it because it required a FB login will still dismiss the it because the Meta login

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I just got my quest yesterday and played with it for a few hours and everything seemed fine. I stopped for the night and now this morning it won't turn on. Maybe the battery drained overnight? But when I plug it in to charge the little charging light isn't coming on.

Somewhere on the internet it says sometimes the charging light won't come on at all when your battery is REALLY dead, also I guess the cable/adapter it came with could be bad?

I have a spare cable coming today anyway, I bought a 20ft one to use the headset wired in if I felt like it, so I'll be able to test that when it gets here.

Is this something other people have experienced?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Lord Bob posted:

Like others have said - it's not a binary "i get sick" / "i don't get sick" thing - when I first started any kind of lateral movement that I wasn't in total control of would make my stomach spin.

Now after a year or two of intermittent VRing the first settings I always reach for are the safety and comfort ones to turn everything off (smooth moving was easiest to get used to, smooth turning the hardest), cos I just don't get sick anymore. But it took a while of acclimatisation to get to that point.

I think one of the worst things you could do to your own tummy is seek out the most stomach-churning stuff day one - it definitely pays off to go at your own pace and move through stuff gradually, stopping any time you feel discomfort. There's nothing that will put you off more from ever playing than having to lie on the sofa for 3 hours cos a game went too far too fast.

But if you still want to gently caress your tummy up - get in the in-car view in DIRT Rally 2. Then drive in reverse.

Or do one of these:
https://clips.twitch.tv/ProtectiveRepletePeafowlYouWHY

I'm looking for the most radical thing to see if, when and how I get sick. Afterwards I plan to take it easy anyways. They're games, I'm supposed to have fun.
I've got plenty experience on *mostly* open water Rowing and Sculling. I wonder if I still got it.

And thank you all for the recommendations!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

He is as always a bit ingenuous in some stuff, chances are that people that didn't buy it because it required a FB login will still dismiss the it because the Meta login

Yea; so long as Occulus is owned by Facebook/Meta, some people will simply refuse to give them their money.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm looking for the most radical thing to see if, when and how I get sick. Afterwards I plan to take it easy anyways. They're games, I'm supposed to have fun.
I've got plenty experience on *mostly* open water Rowing and Sculling. I wonder if I still got it.

just play boneworks and bonk your (virtual) head on stuff.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

chippy posted:

If I want to play No Man's Sky, should I familiarise myself with it before jumping into VR or just crack straight into it?

Just wanted to jump in here and say that as somebody with maybe 2 hours in the non-VR version, when I jumped into VR I almost found it preferable and certainly not any more unclear or confusing than 'flat' version. You'll be fine either way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I personally hated the implementation of NMS VR. It was very clunky and I think entirely designed for a fixed sitting play style. It’s visually entertaining and the flying is cool but I could not handle the rest of the UI / inventory management in VR.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

marumaru posted:

just play boneworks and bonk your (virtual) head on stuff.

This is the first thing I'm doing as soon as I'm at the rental place.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I personally hated the implementation of NMS VR. It was very clunky and I think entirely designed for a fixed sitting play style. It’s visually entertaining and the flying is cool but I could not handle the rest of the UI / inventory management in VR.

I don't think the UI/Inventory Management is good normally, so I'm not surprised to hear that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Well my Quest 2 is dead I think. Meta support had no answers so i think I just got a busted model. Can't get it to turn on, presumably because it has no charge. If it had charge but just wasn't working I should be able to get to the boot menu, but the charging light isn't even on.

Tried a couple chargers so I think I'm just SOL.

Thankfully I literally just bought it so it's more a hassle of going through support than it going to actually cost me any money. Now the question is do I go through meta support or just go through amazon directly. I feel like amazon would do it faster.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Turin Turambar posted:

I can say that this actually was a factor in my decisionmaking with buying one. I already wanted it and was planning to buy one eventually but when they announced that I decided I'd get one after the switch.

Then they announced the price hike so I bought it a few days early, intending to wait it out.

But I'm also an impulsive child at heart, so I unboxed it last night "just to see how it fits" and then somehow it was 2 AM and I was laying in bed watching Youtube videos on the virtual ceiling, having merged my old legacy Oculus account with my FB.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

NeoSeeker posted:

Overload, descent but in VR

It's a little claustrophobic but honestly you'll start pulling whip-fast ballerina-acrobatic dove-tail corkscrew orbits in like, a half-hour

Really like Overload in VR if you have HOTAS as well... gamepad is definitely recommended though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

The only thing that's ever given me a bit of a queasy feeling is doing backflips in Sairento, I think the combination of wrenching you into hanging upside down and going into Bullet Time makes it a bit rough. Even that's just a second of stomach butterflies though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, Facebook is really having a few bad weeks. First Splinter Cell, then the increase in price, now this:

https://bigboxvr.com/jul262022.html

quote:

Seattle, July 26, 2022 — We are building BIG POP1 experiences that will push the boundaries of multiplayer VR. In order to focus our efforts on next-gen features and tech, we’re ending Quest 1 support on October 31, 2022. On Oct 31, Quest 1 players will no longer be able to load or play POPULATION: ONE.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I’ve been playing alyx just fine up until recently where the game now stutters and lags so much it’s unplayable. Nothing has changed aside from drivers and updates. Playing wired on a quest 2 connected to pc. Also started noticing more macro blocking or whatever on the image when connected to pc, like it’s a lower quality video. Anyone got ideas? From searching it seems like poor performance in alyx is a common issue.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Agent355 posted:

I just got my quest yesterday and played with it for a few hours and everything seemed fine. I stopped for the night and now this morning it won't turn on. Maybe the battery drained overnight? But when I plug it in to charge the little charging light isn't coming on.

Somewhere on the internet it says sometimes the charging light won't come on at all when your battery is REALLY dead, also I guess the cable/adapter it came with could be bad?

I have a spare cable coming today anyway, I bought a 20ft one to use the headset wired in if I felt like it, so I'll be able to test that when it gets here.

Is this something other people have experienced?

The Quest battery will definitely drain on standby. I know that if I disconnect mine and go to turn it on a week later with it just having been sitting there, it's pretty much guaranteed to be dead. In fact [checks unit], yup mine is drained as we speak (although I get a battery dead icon in the headset itself so it's better than normal).

Hopefully your unit is not kaput. There's no dust in the usb-c port or anything like that?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If it's left on standby the Quest will go from 100% to dead within a few days, when it's got enough power to boot if charging from zero its light will go white and the screens will show the charge percentage. It won't show a light immediately though, it'll only do that if it's in standby or turned off with some battery remaining. Leave it an hour then see if the light pops on.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is this cable good for hooking up the Quest 2 to PC / charging? Someone mentioned Anker earlier and I assume this is the one? The official one is kind of absurdly expensive by comparison.

e: Anyone know if this one compares or is any worse then the anker one? Seems a little more ideal with the angled cord.

EbolaIvory posted:

Any decent battery with QC or w/e should keep you going long enough. Even the smaller ones for like the HTC wireless dealio will give you almost a second full battery or whatever.

I'm generally not one to recommend "hacks" or whatever but with you goons? No please get the DAS and some printed things to hook it up. Its worth the extra couple bucks over the other brand straps and you'll never have it break, ever.
I had a bit of a hard time parsing this at first - it sounds like you're recommending the Deluxe Audio Strap for the Vive and some 3D printed doohickeys to act as adapters? Some googling lead me to something called "FrakenQuest 2"

Combined with the DAS itself, it's going to be a good deal more expensive then the Kiwi. (140$ for the Strap, 20$ for the adapter)

As for backup batteries, I'm getting a bit confused with people's recommendations as well, from what I'm guessing, any designed for fast charging phones over USB C should do the job?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 27, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I abandoned Alyx fairly early when
I was in a flooded tunnel portion and there were alien runes around. It seemed clear that I needed to stand on the platform the align them but I did and nothing happened. I tried all sorts of stuff and couldn't advance.

It's quite rare that I get stuck on a video game. Maybe I was just too tired.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Inzombiac posted:

I abandoned Alyx fairly early when
I was in a flooded tunnel portion and there were alien runes around. It seemed clear that I needed to stand on the platform the align them but I did and nothing happened. I tried all sorts of stuff and couldn't advance.

It's quite rare that I get stuck on a video game. Maybe I was just too tired.

that wasn't a very well put together puzzle, don't feel bad if you have to look up a walk through for that

it's worth getting past, that game has some of the best parts of any VR thing I've played

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I actually never beat Alyx, I remember I got out of the Hotel but I don't remember anything after that. And now I'm afraid I don't remember any of the Reload animations or anything and should just start over :ohdear:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cutedge posted:

The Quest battery will definitely drain on standby. I know that if I disconnect mine and go to turn it on a week later with it just having been sitting there, it's pretty much guaranteed to be dead. In fact [checks unit], yup mine is drained as we speak (although I get a battery dead icon in the headset itself so it's better than normal).

Hopefully your unit is not kaput. There's no dust in the usb-c port or anything like that?

It is unfortunately very dead. I've already started the amazon return process. Unfortunately I can't get a new one on amazon because they're out of stock because of the price hike lol. Luckily best buy still had one so I just bought that instead.

I could have gone through meta support directly but I was worried about getting the run around and having them spend weeks waiting to ship it back and forth and then try and 'fix' it instead of just giving me a new one right away.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I can't believe I'm getting fomo over a price hike, but I'm thinking I'll probably end up picking up a quest 2 this weekend since it's probably going to move up to unaffordable territory for me up here in Canada otherwise. Probably better to just jump on it instead of be eternally waiting for the index to get cheaper. Is there anything I should know or look out for beforehand? I'm probably going to end up getting the 128gb model due to cost.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Oxyclean posted:

Combined with the DAS itself, it's going to be a good deal more expensive then the Kiwi. (140$ for the Strap, 20$ for the adapter)

Yeah for good reason.

I have a kiwi one, I have the elite official one, I have a few other random brand ones. NONE of them are as nice as the DAS and you WILL break or somehow gently caress up the cheap plastic ones companies are selling.

I rarely push hard for people to do weird third party poo poo but this is one of those times its just worth it if you're going to actually use the thing.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Agent355 posted:

It is unfortunately very dead. I've already started the amazon return process. Unfortunately I can't get a new one on amazon because they're out of stock because of the price hike lol. Luckily best buy still had one so I just bought that instead.

I could have gone through meta support directly but I was worried about getting the run around and having them spend weeks waiting to ship it back and forth and then try and 'fix' it instead of just giving me a new one right away.

For how long you've had it, yeah I would just do the return and replace like you're doing. No reason dealing with their support, although it's usually not bad (I had to replace their garbo elite strap after mine broke, although I still have it NIB and i'm just using a kiwi now)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tyty posted:

I can't believe I'm getting fomo over a price hike, but I'm thinking I'll probably end up picking up a quest 2 this weekend since it's probably going to move up to unaffordable territory for me up here in Canada otherwise. Probably better to just jump on it instead of be eternally waiting for the index to get cheaper. Is there anything I should know or look out for beforehand? I'm probably going to end up getting the 128gb model due to cost.

Look for a better strap, be the official one or another third party one.
Maybe even put a battery strapped with velcro at the back. I have mine like that. The counterweight makes it more comfy.
128b is enough, I have 64gb and I'm still fine.
Use a referral link from a friend or from someone here (mine) for some store credit (use the link before registering the device for the first time).

Favorite games you should get:
Beat Saber
Walkabout minigolf
Eleven Table Tennis
RE4 VR
The Room VR (but wait until a sale or a coupon)
Puzzling Places
InDeath Unchained
Demeo

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, Facebook is really having a few bad weeks. First Splinter Cell, then the increase in price, now this:

https://bigboxvr.com/jul262022.html

Yes. Quest 1 die plz!

Population:one is where I’ve probably had the most fun in VR, I should get into that again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Data from Meta earnings call:

Revenue is up, and by a good amount (45% yoy?) but profit is even further away than before. They still are hiring a lot:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Agent355 posted:

silly question, did you try holding down the power button for about 3 seconds to turn it on

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Agent355 posted:

The Meta website seems to have them in stock, why is seemingly no one buying it there? Should I be avoiding that option for some reason?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Unsinkabear posted:

The Meta website seems to have them in stock, why is seemingly no one buying it there? Should I be avoiding that option for some reason?

My SO wanted to get a replacement Quest 2 since stick drift, and went to order from the meta website directly but it takes your credit card, on purchase, and automatically puts it into facebook pay (lol) and she got an email thanking her for signing up with facebook pay. She was rightfully pissed and yanked her card out, then got an email from the meta website saying they had a problem with her order.

She just got one from Best Buy instead, next day delivery.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

KakerMix posted:

My SO wanted to get a replacement Quest 2 since stick drift, and went to order from the meta website directly but it takes your credit card, on purchase, and automatically puts it into facebook pay (lol) and she got an email thanking her for signing up with facebook pay. She was rightfully pissed and yanked her card out, then got an email from the meta website saying they had a problem with her order.

She just got one from Best Buy instead, next day delivery.

Lmao, gently caress that. Fair enough, thanks for the heads-up

...is there really no way to fix stick drift without buying a whole new unit? :ohdear:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

That Steam media player is pretty picky about codecs. What do people usually use instead?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Turin Turambar posted:

Favorite games you should get:

Demeo

I tried the pc version of this and didnt like it.
I guess it has potential, but the 3 instances I tried it, as soon as I started my first battle, every mob on the map would come rushing towards that room.
It went from my team of 4 against 5-7 mobs to having another 10-15 just waiting outside the door to get in.
On the 3rd try that didnt happen as badly and was able to clear the map, only to find that it put me on the second floor with no saving.
And then gang banged again.

genericnick posted:

That Steam media player is pretty picky about codecs. What do people usually use instead?
I've used this on both the Quest2 and the pc software for Quest
https://store.steampowered.com/app/837380/DeoVR_Video_Player/

e2: hmm the Steam reviews dont seem to like it very much

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 27, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I assume I don't get that free Beat Saber since I bought and registered my headset prior to aug 1st?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
You will not get the opportunity to pay $100 for Beat Saber, no.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OgNar posted:

I've used this on both the Quest2 and the pc software for Quest
https://store.steampowered.com/app/837380/DeoVR_Video_Player/

e2: hmm the Steam reviews dont seem to like it very much

Deo used to be the best but they stripped out DLNA server support and have gone all in on their own web video platform so the actual player has gotten worse and worse.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

genericnick posted:

I tend to use pc virtual desktop with media player classic, or big screen vr with mpc if I want to watch with buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mischievous Mink posted:

I tend to use pc virtual desktop with media player classic, or big screen vr with mpc if I want to watch with buddies.

Big Screen + VLC

Thats been my go to for movie watching with buds. 3d, normal movies, whatever.