Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Looking for an incompatible behavior is a great way to start and it might be he gets cued to go to a comfy bed and settle in exchange for a pre-bedtime cuddle. He might need to be asked to go to a crate or a bed for a long-lasting "pacifier" like a stuffed kong before going to sleep. Don't be afraid to have limits and expect him to just settle down and go to sleep though. Positive doesn't mean permissive, you don't have to let your dog walk all over you. If he's going to be a dick to get a second treat he doesn't get a second treat. He's going to get worse at first while he tries to insist you forgot the second treat he deserves but he'll eventually give up and stop being a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
He's also to some extent training you that if he's a pain in the butt, he gets attention. Your end goal here is that he gets the chew and then goes to bed and doesn't need more interaction with you.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Thanks for all the tips. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Good lord, Holly tried to use the ol' poop-cannon as a form of propulsion on Friday night. :magical:

And of course she did this a couple of hours after I mopped... :negative:

Thankfully she seems right as rain now. Nothing quite like a happy, waggy-tail puppy bouncing up to greet you and thinking nothing of the lovely nightmare that's unfolded in their crate. :stare:

A couple of weeks ago I bumped into someone in the class after us at puppy kindy who has Holly's brother from the same litter. His name is Lumiere, he looks even more ridiculously teddybear-like than Holly and is naughtier than a sack of otters.

Thankfully Holly is also naughtier than a sack of otters, so Lumi's owner and I have been meeting up for puppy playdates to get the zoomies out of the pair of them.

However, Lumi's human is in 'rona isolation right now so today I picked Lumi up and took him for a playdate with Holly solo and... I'm utterly exhausted. Puppies are hard work.

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 17, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Oops! Fastcat is a timed 100 yard dash where dogs chase a bag on a string going really fast and you get a point per mph they go. You get a title and rosette at 150 points (bcat), 500 points (dcat), and 1000 points (fcat).

How long does it take to train a dog to run 1000 mph?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mmkay posted:

How long does it take to train a dog to run 1000 mph?

As it turns out, not that long:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well, there is one thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1VJl8Z2J50

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

When you're pretty sure you can get your human to give you the nachos he's making.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apollo got excited today:

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Ugh, my wife and I are about a month into dog ownership, and there have now been two very sudden biting incidents.

This is Marley:

She's a 2 year old Old English Sheepdog. We were actually going to adopt one of her puppies (a sheepadoodle), but the breeder ended up needing to find a new home for her, as she had a fairly risky pregnancy apparently. We'd already been loving her photos on the breeder website, so we jumped at the chance to get a mature dog.

For the past month, Marley has been pretty much perfect. Well-behaved, playful, very affectionate. But there have now been two biting incidents. The first was a week or two ago, when my wife was playing with her. She didn't seem overstimulated, but suddenly snapped at my wife's face, pulling off her glasses. No injuries at least.

Then, this evening, I was brushing her, and after a few minutes she growled and snapped at the brush. We reprimanded her and put down the brush for awhile. But later, my wife was brushing her and Marley bit her a lot more severely. They were both sitting on the floor, and Marley was calm and getting brushed like a champ. Then with no warning, she snapped, and put a nice puncture wound in my wife's lip. No growls or any kind of sign that this was coming. My wife absolutely adores this dog, as do I, but now we're super worried. The wife's opinion is that we need to get rid of her. I disagree, but really am not sure about our options.

Since brushing seems to be a trigger, I'm going to try going back to the gentlest brush we have, and keeping brush sessions super short. But I'm kind of at a loss here; this is an exceptionally well-behaved dog, but she's just suddenly bit like this, twice now. Is this the time to bring in professional help? If she was doing something like this frequently, I feel like we could work on it, but it's worrying that it's happened super suddenly.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 21, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Unpredictable bites are one of the few situations where I would recommend surrendering the dog to a shelter. It sucks, but you do not want to be living with an animal you can't trust. Sorry :smith:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Get in contact with the breeder about it, if you're not already. They should be able to tell you if there's something in her history contributing to it and can help to rehome her if that's necessary.

I'm really sorry, that's a very worrying situation and I feel for you and your wife a lot.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Definitely contact your breeder, most breeders have a clause in their contract that if you can't keep a dog for any reason they need to go back to the breeder not a shelter or rescue. I recommend seeing a professional for any biting incident, especially a professional with education in how to handle dog bites. You do not want a trainer that is going to use punishment for this because they can end up even more unpredictable, here are a couple links for what to look for:
https://www.companionanimalpsychology.com/2016/12/how-to-choose-dog-trainer.html

https://apdt.com/resource-center/how-to-choose-a-dog-trainer/

It sounds like she has been punished for growling about things before so now she goes straight to snapping. She may also be giving you subtler hints that you aren't noticing so it seems like she is biting out of nowhere. Things like freezing, whale eyes, tight mouths, and lip licking can be easy to miss but are huge red lights to stop what you're doing. Especially dogs with shaggy faces can be harder to read.

If the main trigger seems to be brushing I highly recommend looking into cooperative care and consent-based grooming. Allowing your dog to say no without biting and showing that you will listen makes them so much more comfortable. Deb Jones has a book called Cooperative Care as well as a good facebook group and youtube channel. Here are a couple videos on how to get started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeIHEVWeIZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJ0wh5cxi4

You may have to have her completely shaved down by a groomer (or sedated at the vet if she's really bad for grooming) to just start over fresh and not need to force the issue of brushing.

I'm sorry you're going through all this, it's super stressful dealing with a bite. Again, I highly recommend talking to a professional who can help you work through things. My dog's veterinary behaviorist is almost as much my therapist as his and I'm not sure how we would have gotten through his bite history without her.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the answers, folks. I'm not sure what we can do with the breeder, as she didn't actually breed our dog. She got Marley from another breeder to use in her own breeding, which didn't work out (she had one healthy litter, but it was a risky pregnancy). We'll get in contact with one or both breeders though.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Odds are she was poorly socialized as a pup regardless of which breeder she came from. At 2 years old it could be quite hard to train her out of bad habits if she wasn't properly taught bite inhibition or how to act around people. Good luck, you're making the right decision.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My friend just got a puppy and it is RIDICULOUS

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Is my dog smart enough to not play fetch until she has a heart attack?

Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix

Like, if she's wanting to play, then she's OK? Cause it seems like 70% of her waking time is spent playing fetch or guilt tripping us for not playing fetch. And she runs sooooo hard.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My friend just got a puppy and it is RIDICULOUS

Go to jail for cuteness

Warm Fish Salad
Dec 16, 2016

You Compleat Me

Capn Jobe posted:

Thanks for the answers, folks. I'm not sure what we can do with the breeder, as she didn't actually breed our dog. She got Marley from another breeder to use in her own breeding, which didn't work out (she had one healthy litter, but it was a risky pregnancy). We'll get in contact with one or both breeders though.

I know my reply is a little late, but I just read in one of my canine behavior books that trimming the hair away from the eyes can reduce aggression in shaggy-coated dogs, as the hair can impair the dog's vision and cause them to react defensively. I don't know how true that is, as I've never tried it myself, but it makes sense in principle. Either way, go for a full medical work up at the vet and contact a behaviorist asap. The sad truth is that without intervention, the biting will probably continue and get worse, and the dog could very likely end up having to be euthanized. It's a lovely situation to be in, but there are a lot of great trainers out there that can do amazing things with even the worst cases.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Is my dog smart enough to not play fetch until she has a heart attack?

Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix

Like, if she's wanting to play, then she's OK? Cause it seems like 70% of her waking time is spent playing fetch or guilt tripping us for not playing fetch. And she runs sooooo hard.

I kept forgetting to respond to this but dogs absolutely can harm themselves with too much fetch, although it's generally injuries not a heart attack. Some dogs just love fetch too much to think. Try to mix in some commands and reward with a throw. When she's too tired to listen to the command then she's too tired to still fetch. I also stop my fetch fiend when she starts having bad catches and wiping out. If she won't stop herself you need to learn the signs of fatigue and make her stop. We also do a lot of fetch in water which doesn't have sharp turns that are hard on joints.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Funny you mention injuries during fetch. My guy needs a $6600 TPLO surgery (partially torn ACL).

He was fine the whole time playing fetch but was super slow getting up and favoring the leg when we got home. (He's running around and stuff now, but there's still swelling and his gait is different.)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I bought a fancy pet dryer because my dog takes so drat long to dry off with a regular hair dryer. Only thing is it’s kinda loud. We run it outdoors but it’ll still be like 30min a session at the minimum. Do I need to protect my dog’s bearing? I saw one of those Happy Hoodies that basically is just a sleeve over your dog’s head that keeps their ears folded down. They apparently do a good job keeping the dog calm but not sure how well they protect hearing.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Thank you for the fetch advice. We'll start adding commands to make sure she can still focus and isn't obsessing.

Forgot to add: she's a foster dog that turned into our dog. Her name is Grendel which went well with our old-man Yorkie named Archimedes

She looks like Scrat from Ice Age so we got her a squeaky acorn.

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 24, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This looks like a dog that would die before it stopped chasing something

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Did my best with the default filters to make our bedroom look like a frozen wasteland

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I bought a fancy pet dryer because my dog takes so drat long to dry off with a regular hair dryer. Only thing is it’s kinda loud. We run it outdoors but it’ll still be like 30min a session at the minimum. Do I need to protect my dog’s bearing? I saw one of those Happy Hoodies that basically is just a sleeve over your dog’s head that keeps their ears folded down. They apparently do a good job keeping the dog calm but not sure how well they protect hearing.

That Girl With The Dogs uses them to protect hearing and doesn't seem worried about using anything else even when blowdrying dogs for hours: https://m.youtube.com/c/GirlWithTheDogs/videos

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Vegetable posted:

Unless you are blowing drying your dog all day every day you're probably fine. Groomers wear hearing protection for themselves because they're doing it constantly but the dogs really don't seem to need it. You can try a happy hoodie or some cotton balls in the ears (not deep in the ears of course) but they're probably unnecessary. Also those high velocity driers are a godsend and I don't know how I had dogs for so long without one. I don't even have dogs that need a ton of grooming!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

i always thought the "landshark" nickname was just because of the teeth, but when iris is about to grab a toy she momentarily opens her mouth wide and rolls her eyes right back into her head and it's both terrifying and hilarious

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
One of the dogs I frequently see on my morning walk loves to just engulf your entire hand when you try to treat him. It looks terrifying but he's really gentle :3:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I wish our 9 month old carpet shark could learn to say hello in a way that wasn't oral and vertical. I'd like to have family over again.
Working on the jumping is going OK, but she just wants to mouth on everything.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've had the most success with training chop chop to get one of his toys before he gets to greet anyone. The rule is to ignore him/actively discourage any licking or mouthing until he grabs a toy in his mouth, then he gets pets

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the dogs I frequently see on my morning walk loves to just engulf your entire hand when you try to treat him. It looks terrifying but he's really gentle :3:
i met a newfoundland at a dog show when i was 10 whose way of showing affection was to gently take one's arm in his mouth like a shot duck. i ended up covered in drool from the elbow to the fingertips

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i met a newfoundland at a dog show when i was 10 whose way of showing affection was to gently take one's arm in his mouth like a shot duck. i ended up covered in drool from the elbow to the fingertips

I taught my newf the command "sad dog" where he puts his head on your lap and looks up at you with his big brown eyes.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My pregnant lab has started showing some food aggression to my other dog, a terrier, which is new and worrisome. Today she growled as the terrier approached her bowl to sniff it after she had finished but was still licking it clean.

The things that have changed recently that I think led to this are:

1. Pregnancy, of course
2. She's having more frequent, smaller meals because she's eating more and threw up once from eating too fast
3. I got her a 'go-slow' bowl because, again, eating too fast made her throw up, and so she's still eating when my terrier has finished her meal
4. A guest dog is staying over and she gets her meals near my dog. She's leaving tomorrow though, so only one more meal together, and my lab hasn't shown aggression to that dog, only the terrier. I think them being fed together just makes my dog more sensitive.

Obviously the first thing is to make sure my terrier isn't approaching the lab's bowl while she's still present. They eat in separate rooms so I'll make sure the doors are properly closed so the terrier can't get out early. I'm going to supervise my lab's meals to test that she doesn't develop food aggression to humans as well. Other than that, I'm thinking through how best to manage this. My terrier was pretty clearly ignoring my lab's boundaries and didn't back off when warned but it's also very undesirable behaviour from the lab so I want to work on it. I'm trying to research, but I just don't know how much it's situational with her pregnancy. Any advice or thoughts?

I have access to behaviourists I can talk to about it in the next few days but it's evening now for me and I want feedback now lol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Not sure what you can do except maybe feed at different times? That the behaviour started while pregnant suggests it is likely caused by that and might just be temporary.
My dogs mum is the most passive thing ever but when shes been pregnant she takes no poo poo from the dad at all. He gets completely bullied for the entirety or it and then also while nursing. Once the pups are gone she returns to normal.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 27, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That's good to hear! I'm probably a little overworried because it's her first pregnancy so I don't know what to expect. Had to wipe up discharge earlier, that was gross :/

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It sounds like you probably just need to do some more management instead of trying to do any big training while the lab's hormones are all weird. Make sure bowls are picked up before dogs leave their rooms after meals, snacks/treats should probably be given out separately, maybe even put dogs away when you are eating/cooking so they don't squabble over dropped morsels.

Totally normal to be concerned though and it's a good idea just to touch base with the organization that's doing the breeding/whelping just to check in on how things are changing with her.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I am just over a week into some very early toilet training with our second puppy and everything had been going way too smoothly, so of course it rained overnight and now this little rear end in a top hat has no interest in pooping outside.

He knows we go over to the living room door when we want to go out to the bathroom so whenever I catch sight of him going over there or doing the telltale squat, I leap into action and carry him out to the back yard, where he proceeds to sit on the wet paving stones and occasionally bark at me or start crying to go back in the house for 15-20 minutes.

Then we go back inside because nothing’s happening and the second I turn my back he takes a poo poo right by the door.

Three times so far today.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Just gotta keep him outside til he learns that the choice is to be a soaking wet brat, or to poop so he can get back inside. So far you've been teaching him that he just has to complain and he can poop inside where it's warm and comfortable. He'll hate it but he'll learn given time and consistency.

If you have some kind of pop up canopy to make a dry spot in the yard you can meet him halfway, otherwise he's just gotta learn to deal

Adorable pup in any case :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Does anyone have opinions on this c.1998 breeder website? http://jcmdogtraining.com/copperfieldgoldens.html They're semi-local and wanting to hold on to the dogs until 4 months or so looking for potential show dogs. That suits me fine because I won't really be ready for a dog until September/October. Her health guarantees in the contract seem very good and they've been breeding a long time. I spoke with her on the phone and liked her alot-she said there were some dogs in this litter that seemed pretty chill. The price is steep but not really out of line with what I've seen for other golden puppies from good breeders.

Any red flags? Any problems with getting a puppy at 4 or 5 months instead of 8 weeks?