Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Zeruel posted:

have we seen the murdering the elementals do? like, are those rock golems and treants "the Elementals?" i'll fight them I don't give a drat
New alternate theory about why the Elementals are quieter post-Calamity; it's not the shifting/withering leylines thing - they're just keeping their heads down so that the WoL doesn't go "Huh, lhese glowing fairy things certainly seem and act a lot like a primal - time to kill god. Again" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Augus posted:

Dragoon’s 2.0 story was alright, mainly because it introduced Estinien

It's a good episode of The Estinien Show starring Estinien, but I don't like it as a job quest. In all the other ARR ones except Monk you have some sort of rapport with the characters involved, your pursuit of the job is an influencing factor in what they do. ARR dragoon is being invited to join a friend's family for dinner, then they start fighting and you really should just excuse yourself and run.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I liked the THM/BLM story pretty well. Benefits heavily from the Thaumaturge's Guild being run by a bunch of insane lalafell.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Standing there and doing absolutely nothing while that lala opens the jar or whatever in the THM questline is the craziest poo poo that happens in this entire game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

On light armour gland, I really like the forager vest or whatever the level 50 crafted gatherer set is. Needs some dye but if you do it looks like a cool armoured vest, and it shows neckwear so you can get some really cool looks with chokers, those metal armour plates and the redbill scarf

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zeruel posted:

have we seen the murdering the elementals do? like, are those rock golems and treants "the Elementals?" i'll fight them I don't give a drat

I sadly couldn't find a recorded clip of it happening on screen but in 1.0/pre-calamity they could just straight up delete/disintegrate people. It was called the Greenwrath.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zeruel posted:

It was a significant part of the Gridania story in 1.0.

Vargs posted:

Standing there and doing absolutely nothing while that lala opens the jar or whatever in the THM questline is the craziest poo poo that happens in this entire game.

THM is a story that works best if you either do it first, or can suspend your disbelief hard enough to just assume the player character is a novice adventurer during it. A succubus is actually one of the most dangerous voidsent an average person might come across... but the fact Haukke Manor has us beat up a couple of them pretty quickly caps their threat to us.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I basically just take the headcanon that my WoL is constantly chanting a mantra of “switching jobs defeats the whole point of trying to learn this one” whenever something comes up that would be utterly trivial for them to deal with ordinarily.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I sadly couldn't find a recorded clip of it happening on screen but in 1.0/pre-calamity they could just straight up delete/disintegrate people. It was called the Greenwrath.

that's hosed up. we need to stamp these Elementals out before they become strong enough to do that again

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Zeruel posted:

that's hosed up. we need to stamp these Elementals out before they become strong enough to do that again

Ah yes, let's roll in on this society we don't like because they have a magic threat beyond our control that we have to stomp out.

Sounding real Garlean in here.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

How much I feel I should just change to a higher job depends on the job quest. If I'm a conjurer cleansing the taint it makes perfect sense that I have to use conjury to do it. If there's some evil monk who I can't possibly beat unless I can open as many chakras as him, well I can summon bahamut that should do the job

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Vargs posted:

I just did this and laughed so hard.

THM at 15 ain't exciting.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Wrestlepig posted:

On light armour gland,

Have you talked to a chirurgeon?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

DanielCross posted:

Ah yes, let's roll in on this society we don't like because they have a magic threat beyond our control that we have to stomp out.

Sounding real Garlean in here.

they wouldnt allow ala mhigan refugees to settle for literally no reason after garlemald invaded (as far as i remember). there's a cult surrounding the grooming of magical teenagers to enforce their elemental rule on Gridania, and then exiling them if they make the slightest mistake or step outside what the elementals want. and im sure they probably do other racist bullshit against the duskwight. the elementals suck!

e: yeah ok fair enough, im just having fun with it. i don't really have a chocobo in this race.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 27, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zeruel posted:

they wouldnt allow ala mhigan refugees to settle for literally no reason after garlemald invaded (as far as i remember). there's a cult surrounding the grooming of magical teenagers to enforce their elemental rule on Gridania, and then exiling them if they make the slightest mistake or step outside what the elementals want. and im sure they probably do other racist bullshit against the duskwight. the elementals suck!

They didn't let Ala Mighan refugees settle because they remember the last time Ala Mighan's came to the Shroud it was to invade and conquer. The Elementals don't really have concepts of individuals, one Ala Mighan is every Ala Mighan, in their understanding of the world.

The fact you can show them otherwise means they're not unreasonable (as you can help them understand and recognise individuals). The Elementals are the literal natives of the Shroud, everyone else came later. It's blue and orange morality, the point of the Speakers is to help the Elementals and Mortals understand eachother. Which has its own issues because the Speakers can in fact straight up lie for their own agendas anyway.

Like, to be straight up clear the forming of the Eorzean Alliance was in response to Ala Mighan aggression during the Autumn War. Which is only 100 years ago basically, it's within "living" memory for some people.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 27, 2022

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, a major part of the Ala Mhigan refugee crisis is that Ala Mhigo and Gridania have a ton of historical bad blood, mostly because of Ala Mhigan aggression, and the last war (~100 years or so back, so out of mortal living memory, but definitely not out of the Elementals') involved substantial damage to the forest, iirc? I believe the Stormblood Bard line goes into this in-depth, but the point is that, as hateful as the treatment of Ala Mhigan refugees in the Shroud is, there is some reason behind it other than "Gridania sucks and is racist." (I mean, Gridania's racism is definitely sucky and real, but it's not the whole point here.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Qwertycoatl posted:

How much I feel I should just change to a higher job depends on the job quest. If I'm a conjurer cleansing the taint it makes perfect sense that I have to use conjury to do it. If there's some evil monk who I can't possibly beat unless I can open as many chakras as him, well I can summon bahamut that should do the job

I generally do fine with not thinking abou this stuff, and it mostly just depends on respect for the story for me. If I like the angle the story is taking, I wouldn't try to break it.

The only job quest I started thinking about this with is Reaper. I just kept thinking when fighting Orcus 'what if I turned up with a gun and just shot him in the face'.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Lord_Magmar posted:

The fact you can show them otherwise means they're not unreasonable (as you can help them understand and recognise individuals). The Elementals are the literal natives of the Shroud, everyone else came later. It's blue and orange morality, the point of the Speakers is to help the Elementals and Mortals understand eachother. Which has its own issues because the Speakers can in fact straight up lie for their own agendas anyway.
Does La Hee land have Elementals show up anywhere, or just the guardian animal-gods?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the people who get murder boners for the elementals are hilarious because they're basically real life ghibli movie villains and they seem completely unaware of it

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zeruel posted:

Yeah, I'm not afraid of the magical equivalent of squirrels and deer. I've fought actual deer more intimidating than the golems and treants.

e: I can't be a ghibli movie villain, I understand the nature and origins of leather. That I tan myself. After harvesting myself. By throwing bombs at animals.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 27, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Zeruel posted:

in 1.0, iirc. some dude is like "the elementals are a lie and i'll prove it by setting their special tree on fire!" and they fuckin' thanos snap him

and then the particular elemental he pissed off starts taking it too far and the others engage you to stop it because it turns out they're not unreasonable

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Itzena posted:

Does La Hee land have Elementals show up anywhere, or just the guardian animal-gods?

No, the Elementals appear to be Source Natives, but did live in the Shroud pretty much before any of the modern mortals did. They're a bit like the Twelve that way I guess (The Twelve also only exist on the Source).

Also worth noting they don't appear to be solely local to the Shroud, given the Viera in FFXIV still follow the Greenword and commune with the jungle of Golmore in a way that makes it clear something is there, and that something can probably performt he Greenwrath same as the Shroud Elementals. They're even equally serious about being isolationist, if not more so, given Viera who live the Jungles are exiled on pain of death (because they're now outsiders, and any outsider who harms the forest is to be put to death, and entering the forest can be a form of harm).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 27, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

but yeah the elementals don't have a high opinion of ala mhigans due to the whole, you know, setting the forest on fire as part of a war of expansion thing. talking about "living memory" is also funny given that we have a job quest line an entire expansion dealing with the fallout of that poo poo when half the cast weren't born yet or children when it occured

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lord_Magmar posted:

No, the Elementals appear to be Source Natives, but did live in the Shroud pretty much before any of the modern mortals did. They're a bit like the Twelve that way I guess (The Twelve also only exist on the Source).

Also worth noting they don't appear to be solely local to the Shroud, given the Viera in FFXIV still follow the Greenword and commune with the jungle of Golmore in a way that makes it clear something is there, and that something can probably performt he Greenwrath same as the Shroud Elementals. They're even equally serious about being isolationist, if not more so, given Viera who live the Jungles are exiled on pain of death (because they're now outsiders, and any outsider who harms the forest is to be put to death, and entering the forest can be a form of harm).

Eureka also has Elementals, so they seem to just naturally crop up where aether's kinda wild.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Eureka also has Elementals, so they seem to just naturally crop up where aether's kinda wild.

Are they elementals, or big E forest Elementals? Because elemental incarnations of aetheric types is a bit different from the actual living forest god Elementals.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Are they elementals, or big E forest Elementals? Because elemental incarnations of aetheric types is a bit different from the actual living forest god Elementals.

Hard to tell, neither is especially communicative, but they do have the exact same character model.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oneiros posted:

the people who get murder boners for the elementals are hilarious because they're basically real life ghibli movie villains and they seem completely unaware of it
A lot of people come to these games with the pre-existing idea that It's About Killing God/Gods even though the actual words and material presented in the story says "You Aren't Literally Killing Literal, Actual Gods As Gods Are Understood." The Elementals are more understandable than most even if I think some of this is just a trope translation thing.

Oneiros posted:

in 1.0, iirc. some dude is like "the elementals are a lie and i'll prove it by setting their special tree on fire!" and they fuckin' thanos snap him

and then the particular elemental he pissed off starts taking it too far and the others engage you to stop it because it turns out they're not unreasonable
My theory, which will probably never be a focus because they long ago decided they want to keep adventuring in new realms rather than go deeper and deeper, is that the Elementals are literally the giant trees (maybe with multiple bodies like a clonal organism) and they have massive magical power, just due to being so huge as well as access to crystals and stuff deep in the soil. They also can't move and don't think fast so good.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This is really loving good.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nessus posted:

A lot of people come to these games with the pre-existing idea that It's About Killing God/Gods even though the actual words and material presented in the story says "You Aren't Literally Killing Literal, Actual Gods As Gods Are Understood." The Elementals are more understandable than most even if I think some of this is just a trope translation thing.

Punching out God for the Crimes he has committed is a time-honored tradition, it doesn't matter if it's Actual God or just a God as seen by the zeitgeist.

Although on that note, I'm pretty sure I got spoiled on something fairly major by a random goddamn Triple Triad tournament. A Hydaelyn card, portraying a humanoid, with a Primal clan tag. No one tell me what that actually references, I don't even want to be reassured like "Don't worry, you don't fight it." By the time I actually hit it, I'll probably have forgotten the card. e: but it does make entirely too much goddamn sense with what I know.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Bruceski posted:

It's a good episode of The Estinien Show starring Estinien, but I don't like it as a job quest. In all the other ARR ones except Monk you have some sort of rapport with the characters involved, your pursuit of the job is an influencing factor in what they do. ARR dragoon is being invited to join a friend's family for dinner, then they start fighting and you really should just excuse yourself and run.

Plus the gameplay is very disconnected and samey, it's almost 100% planned tests fighting against the same monsters over and over.

And sure that's how most ARR classes play out in effect, but it's completely lacking in anything to dress it up as anything more.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hi I’m the 1.0/ARR writers here to make you take a mandatory break from your quest to track down four chests containing 4/5 of your AF gear. We won’t hand you the chest piece until 50. Have fun looking like a doofus.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dareon posted:

Punching out God for the Crimes he has committed is a time-honored tradition, it doesn't matter if it's Actual God or just a God as seen by the zeitgeist.

Although on that note, I'm pretty sure I got spoiled on something fairly major by a random goddamn Triple Triad tournament. A Hydaelyn card, portraying a humanoid, with a Primal clan tag. No one tell me what that actually references, I don't even want to be reassured like "Don't worry, you don't fight it." By the time I actually hit it, I'll probably have forgotten the card. e: but it does make entirely too much goddamn sense with what I know.

I had the same worry for the same reason (thanks, triple triad) but I can safely say that I jumped to some wrong conclusions and was happy by the time everything wrapped up

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Thanks for glam love and tips, I made the Bard pic around the time CC had come out and the thread helped me feel out how good Bard is.

Bruceski posted:

Jealous...
Well done!

I did Lara Croft a while back.

Nice, nice, and thank you!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I'm replaying Shadowbringers with my SO on an alt, and it turns out that the Skywatcher in the Crystarium will straight-up show the weather for Garlemald, Sharlayan, Labyrinthos, Thavnair, and Radz-at-Han well before you reach Endwalker.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I'd be willing to say they might show it on a fresh character in uldah, gridania or Limsa

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

hopeandjoy posted:

Hi I’m the 1.0/ARR writers here to make you take a mandatory break from your quest to track down four chests containing 4/5 of your AF gear. We won’t hand you the chest piece until 50. Have fun looking like a doofus.

I was so happy when I got to the one exception for this: Scholar, where it turns out we don't actually have any surviving Nymian gear but we have some patterns, so go buy yourself some new clothes! You know, like a regular person!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the problem with the elementals is that you only really come in contact with them when they're either part of a problem, responsible for a problem, or refusing to help with a problem unless sufficiently buttered up. ostensibly the elementals are also responsible for things like good harvests so that gridanians don't have to go hungry, but that's fairly invisible to the player and half the elemental storylines are about every other tree constantly getting tainted up so you're not even sure they're strong enough to do anything positive or beneficial

my favourite elemental thing is (stormblood white mage and endwalker tank role quest spoilers) you have one storyline about one kid despairing because she really doesn't want to be a padjal, but she has to come to terms with it because you can't just stop being one, and then another storyline where a kid really thrives on being a padjal, but then makes a mistakes and gets punished by being un-padjal'ed, so he later succumbs to despair. the devs just never really bothered making any storylines that showcase gridanians and elementals having a symbiotic relationship outside of very early lipservicey bits, so over a long enough timeframe they're just gonna seem like absolute dicks

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Zeruel posted:

I'd be willing to say they might show it on a fresh character in uldah, gridania or Limsa

Nope. There's a quest in crystarium where your fairy king buddy unlocks the ability for all skywatchers to know what all other skywatchers see. You can only see the local area before that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

the problem with the elementals is that you only really come in contact with them when they're either part of a problem, responsible for a problem, or refusing to help with a problem unless sufficiently buttered up. ostensibly the elementals are also responsible for things like good harvests so that gridanians don't have to go hungry, but that's fairly invisible to the player and half the elemental storylines are about every other tree constantly getting tainted up so you're not even sure they're strong enough to do anything positive or beneficial

my favourite elemental thing is (stormblood white mage and endwalker tank role quest spoilers) you have one storyline about one kid despairing because she really doesn't want to be a padjal, but she has to come to terms with it because you can't just stop being one, and then another storyline where a kid really thrives on being a padjal, but then makes a mistakes and gets punished by being un-padjal'ed, so he later succumbs to despair. the devs just never really bothered making any storylines that showcase gridanians and elementals having a symbiotic relationship outside of very early lipservicey bits, so over a long enough timeframe they're just gonna seem like absolute dicks

Yeah the Endwalker role quest thing made me very much not like the elementals. It's pretty much "help us fix the mess you made for the sake of both of our survival" to which the elementals say "no" until you twist their arm a bunch proving yourself or whatever and so they come through at the last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My eternal quest to find some nature spirits that aren't boring as heck continues.