Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does get on my tits though how they go on about being very clever and unique and brave having all these radical ideas, when like no, mate, you're the most boring middle of the road oik imaginable with ideas that were old when I was a child.

But you'll never convince the gits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wew Nish I knaw yew loonie lefties are gonna call vese guys wot drowned crossin da channel a "tragedy" but speakin as a normal person oi jast fink immigants aren't real people an it's fanny when vey doi innit

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know what Geoff Norcott sounds like so I substituted Jonathan Ross without a speech impediment

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly just thought you were doing Quaaludes Acaster

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just switching from the best thing to happen to twitter to the worst thing to happen to twitter for a moment:

https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1552188717103824896?t=OMzPJPiHphEo0obgVAQRoQ&s=19

GFK (Rory of left/over pod)was an absolute beast at left wing twitter and the more I read about what happened the more sad/angry I feel at it.

Apparently he was applying for a uni course, managed to scrape together enough for a deposit, the uni said he was too poor to afford the living costs, declined his application and kept his deposit. It looks like it finished off his mental health.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Distinctively British economics at work

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just switching from the best thing to happen to twitter to the worst thing to happen to twitter for a moment:

https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1552188717103824896?t=OMzPJPiHphEo0obgVAQRoQ&s=19

GFK (Rory of left/over pod)was an absolute beast at left wing twitter and the more I read about what happened the more sad/angry I feel at it.

Apparently he was applying for a uni course, managed to scrape together enough for a deposit, the uni said he was too poor to afford the living costs, declined his application and kept his deposit. It looks like it finished off his mental health.

Christ, just looked at his Twitter and his last tweet 2days ago was just "sorry", and the replies are a bunch of nice lefties saying they'll help him cover the costs.

:smith:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/27/culture-war-2012-olympic-opening-ceremony

It is still baffling as to how the 2012 olympics were this high watermark sobbing with joy and british pride moment for the commentariat that still get brought up. Does every host country get like this? Also, perhaps more important to talk about the ongoing current culture wars.

Obviously, this being the Guardian, they evasively say "before JK Rowling became divisive" too, since they know which side of that divide they're on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone should be hanged for that, christ, thieving bastards.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That Rory news is horrific :(

He was too poor to afford his living costs at Uni, but not too poor for the Uni to keep his £1000 and tell him to gently caress off? loving hell.

RIP

I'll try to add a bit of positive energy to the thread with this nice sight to see. I wonder how long Sam will remain shadow minister after this? https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1552171671129292806

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Danger - Octopus! posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/27/culture-war-2012-olympic-opening-ceremony

It is still baffling as to how the 2012 olympics were this high watermark sobbing with joy and british pride moment for the commentariat that still get brought up. Does every host country get like this? Also, perhaps more important to talk about the ongoing current culture wars.

Speaking as someone from a country that hosted the Olympics in recent history (Canada), no; everyone pretty much forgets about it within a couple of months, and the only news stories you hear about it discuss how the facilities sit neglected.

This is entirely a product of the desperation to cling onto some symbol of pre-Brexit fantasy Britannia.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i think what the 2012 thing is really about is it was the last big thing that happened while the chattering classes were still able to kid themselves that the chickens would never come home to roost wrt the decades of chronic maladministration of this country and its utterly rotten and incestuous media

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

crispix posted:

i think what the 2012 thing is really about is it was the last big thing that happened while the chattering classes were still able to kid themselves that the chickens would never come home to roost wrt the decades of chronic maladministration of this country and its utterly rotten and incestuous media

That and the queen jumped out of the helicopter

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What university was it? He doesn't seem to say.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bread and circuses, without the bread.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Means-tested bread and circuses

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

the sex ghost posted:

That and the queen jumped out of the helicopter

special effects age badly

if you watch it now it's very obviously just a resuscitation practice dummy with a wig on it being chucked out

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nilbop posted:

What university was it? He doesn't seem to say.
Some people in other comment sections saying he mentioned an MA at a Manchester Uni, but nobody's been able to find out which one.

There are a few in London that charge a £2k non refundable deposit which, if it's not refundable, that's not a loving deposit, that's a charge with a later discount off your fees.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

crispix posted:

if you watch it now it's very obviously just a resuscitation practice dummy with a wig on it being chucked out

No way to talk about her majesty imo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

That's the actual Queen - they replaced the original with the dummy back in the early 80s

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
anyway the reason i liked corbyn was he acknowledged the fact that the ship has had a giant hole torn out of its arse and he put forward policies to help contain the spread of damage to allow us to get somewhere better and maybe even serve as a beacon of hope for other sinking ships, but he was hunted down like a dog by people who just want to fine the doomed for not having the right ticket to be on the deck or w/e

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
will admit i've been reading a bit more about the titanic disaster lately

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's the actual Queen - they replaced the original with the dummy back in the early 80s

Imagining a version of The Crown which is more like Brian and Charles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dSQ-s2Yn80

"My tummy is a washing machine"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

crispix posted:

anyway the reason i liked corbyn was he acknowledged the fact that the ship has had a giant hole torn out of its arse

Nah, it's just that the front fell off

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well I was coming here to post something funny but loving horrible news about GFK. Rest in Peace mate and hope the cunts at the university are haunted by what they've done.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But back to the funny https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/26/boris-johnson-tipped-become-next-secretary-general-nato/

quote:

Boris Johnson tipped to become next secretary general of Nato

Ukrainian and Tory MPs support idea of PM being a possible candidate, though sceptics suggest he would likely be greeted with a French veto

*gets pantsed out of office for being a colossal gently caress-up and charlatan* I'm NATO material

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I mean I can't argue with that. The old Frankie Boyle bit about how 200 years ago he would have died aged 29 leading a cavalry charge into a volcano does make him ideal NATO material.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

But back to the funny https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/26/boris-johnson-tipped-become-next-secretary-general-nato/

*gets pantsed out of office for being a colossal gently caress-up and charlatan* I'm NATO material

They've had literal Nazis as leaders, dePfeff would fit in just fine

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Sam Tarry is going through the full selection process for his seat which is interesting to know. Maybe he feels defying Starmer will help

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

They've had literal Nazis as leaders, dePfeff would fit in just fine

Some of the nazis were actually good at fighting though, whereas I genuinely don't know if johnson understands that war involves more than just mumbling some kipling at the enemy and then they all run away.

he would spend all the time demanding that everyone dress like redcoats and devote the entire training budget to re-enacting the movie zulu over and over again.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 27, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Sam Tarry is going through the full selection process for his seat which is interesting to know. Maybe he feels defying Starmer will help

They still haven't forgiven him for being a Corbyn backer who absolutely pantsed Mike Gapes in 2019.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Some of the nazis were actually good at fighting though, whereas I genuinely don't know if johnson understands that war involves more than just mumbling some kipling at the enemy and then they all run away.

He absolutely thinks what happened to him this past few weeks is as harrowing as war.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1552047062866448389

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Just cut crime 4Head

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I will make murder illegal. Did you know there's no actual written law making murder illegal? I will write one that says it's bad. It's one of the twelve commandments .

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Vetinari did it.
Privatise assassination and sell off the right the steal from anyone not 'insured', would probably go down quite well with the Tory base tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I will make murder illegal. Did you know there's no actual written law making murder illegal? I will write one that says it's bad. It's one of the twelve commandments .

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1405874241514442754

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A thing I learned the other day is that a lot of the fall in the UK murder rate is a result of improved NHS trauma care. So the fall in the murder rate is almost matched by a corresponding rise in the attempted murder rate.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

peanut- posted:

A thing I learned the other day is that a lot of the fall in the UK murder rate is a result of improved NHS trauma care. So the fall in the murder rate is almost matched by a corresponding rise in the attempted murder rate.

Is this like how the best place to get stabbed in the UK is Glasgow because their doctors are masters of treating knife wounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

anyway the reason i liked corbyn was he acknowledged the fact that the ship has had a giant hole torn out of its arse and he put forward policies to help contain the spread of damage to allow us to get somewhere better and maybe even serve as a beacon of hope for other sinking ships, but he was hunted down like a dog by people who just want to fine the doomed for not having the right ticket to be on the deck or w/e

Danny Boyle always made it clear that the Olympics ceremony was a distorted, curated vision of how Britain wants to see itself, how it aspires to be, and the relationship with its history that it yearns to have. He explicitly said that it was effectively a theatrical staging of 'Jerusalem' - a song where the first verse poses a bunch of questions about religious myth and the second is a bunch of calls to action to create an idealised world. At no point does the song deal with reality and neither did the Olympic ceremony.

But so many people seem to have missed that and assumed that it was a mirror of reality for the UK in 2012; a place where James Bond saves the NHS and reads everyone a Harry Potter story before bedtime, before a bunch of young, diverse, happy people jump in a fleet of Mini Coopers with Union Jacks on the roof to go to a party were The Who and Blur do the music while Tim Berners-Lee sorts out the
wifi.

And the majority of the people in the progressive media who didn't understand that Danny Boyle's vision of Britain was just as ephemeral and aspirational as whatever hallucinations inspired Blake's words have to live with the fact that they spent many of the intervening years actively working against the best chance in a generation for something like the New Jerusalem to actually exist.