Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nic Cage is a great actor, he just spent a lot of time working in poo poo movies cause he had a ton of debts and it killed his starpower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I appreciate the Caines and Cages of the world who just like working and will take on almost anything if the price is right (or at least did before their careers turned around again). If I ever became a famous actor that's exactly what I'd do.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You're just describing every British actor

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Agents of Shield was genuinely fun for most of its run, hamstrung by a misleading direction from the MCU on how canon it was. Had a good tie in to Winter Soldier, but I felt the most fun the series had was when they did their own thing and said gently caress it, here's ghost rider.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The last Marvel movie I saw was black panther, and I couldn't even finish it. About halfway through I looked at how much was left of the movie and realized I did not care at all about any of the characters or anything that happened. I had increasingly felt the same way about the previous marvel slop, but that was the moment I really felt that I did not have to watch these movies any more, they weren't "leading up to anything" that I would suddenly care about.
I honestly thought they would take a break or try something new after Endgame, but from what I've seen that has not been the case.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

re: superhero stuff is "the boys" good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
One thing I don't miss from the PS1/PS2 era: mandatory side activities that are nothing like the main game and often hard as balls

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah, but it's dark, cynical and often gross. I think it's quite skippable if that's not what you're in the mood for. I don't consider it incredible television like some people.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
having caught up on it I think the boys is pretty fun but a lot of the show is carried on antony starr's facial expressions

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

One thing I don't miss from the PS1/PS2 era: mandatory side activities that are nothing like the main game and often hard as balls

It’s funny you use that specific screenshot because Insomniac actually made a rule after Going Commando saying “if it’s not what the player signed up for don’t make it that hard” so I guess they learned their lesson at least. :v:

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

Quite

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Gaius Marius posted:

You're just describing every British actor

David Warner (:rip:) described himself as a "letterbox actor" - if a script came through his letterbox, he'd do it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I appreciate the Caines and Cages of the world who just like working and will take on almost anything if the price is right (or at least did before their careers turned around again). If I ever became a famous actor that's exactly what I'd do.

James Spader posted:

Acting, for me, is a passion, but it's also a job, and I've always approached it as such. I have a certain manual-labourist view of acting. There's no shame in taking a film because you need some money.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Cage is alright, but he's no Cameron Mitchell

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love James Spader. His voice is extremely powerful and he has this charm that makes me melt.
His Ultron was fabulous and one of the best parts of Avengers 2.

I dig all the MCU stuff. I do not get exhausted on it and have slowly been absorbing everything over the years. Knowing I am a short few weeks away from She-Hulk is very exciting and the new trailer was AWESOME. I am so stoked, especially after how absolutely grand Ms. Marvel was.

I never really read Marvel comics until the last five or so years, so I have not had the time to get overwhelmed by how much stuff is out there.

This is actually the reason why it seems I like everything. I have such a dearth of experience in things that I am playing the cream of the crop constantly.

Speaking of which, been thinking about Majora's Mask all day at work and man. That game I feel confident in saying I like a little more than Ocarina of Time. The music has been better, the weirdness of everything, the story gimmick, the way it is shooting for the stars as a sequel to a critically lauded game.

I dig it. A LOT. :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
After reading Marvel comics chronologically for 18 months now I am just a few days away from Fantastic Four #1 :getin:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A post so good it was worth posting twice :hai:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I saw Nicolas Cage's tomb in New Orleans

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I like the MCU. Life is hard enough, give me a fun couple hours every few months, I'm into it. I also like how extremely Comic Books they are getting because that poo poo is bananas. Looking forward to every MCU show being in the Age Of Apocalypse in like 10 years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1552281321128476672?s=20&t=xMSYJdB9K4YY1H6GbLctCw

GTA6 is gonna be a service game, I guess. I don't know how else to take the evolving over time thing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1552281321128476672?s=20&t=xMSYJdB9K4YY1H6GbLctCw

GTA6 is gonna be a service game, I guess. I don't know how else to take the evolving over time thing.

Perhaps they'll purchase the rights to Oof.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think with the success of GTA Online, 6 was always destined to be a service game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Good to know GTA is dead and gone forever so I can free up space in my brain for Monster Hunter.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
More interior locations then previous GTA games?

So like, 10?

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Happy for the devs if its a less lovely place to work.

But also lets be real, they're never topping this vibe ever again (RIP Ray Liotta)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdzja8VLtx0

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gaius Marius posted:

I was listening to the Big Picture, and they aren't totally Marvel hostile, but even they think that the Marvel TV shows are doing lasting damage to the brand. They're all bad to mediocre and all the shows and movies don't actually seem to be building to anything anymore

The TV shows rule. Here is my official opinion on all the Phase 4 stuff:

Black Widow: Bit disappointing. Widow deserved much better, and deserved it a decade ago.
Shang-Chi: Rules
Eternals: Probs the worst other than Hulk but I still enjoyed it
Spider-Man: No Way Home: rules. For me it's similar to End Game in that it's pretty fun, but if you've seen the things leading up to it, there's so much fan service, and it rules.
Dr Strange: Yeah I liked it I guess. Some of the things that happened to certain characters kinda annoyed me.
Thor: Love and Thunder: Liked it. Second best Thor movie.

WandaVision: Outstanding, quite possibly the best MCU thing that has happened
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: pleasantly surprised, thought it would just be superpowered dudes punching each other, but dug into some interesting stuff like racial politics and mental health.
Loki: Excellent, again, really cool that they're looking at interesting themes, like fate and free will.
What if...? Kinda fun, bit surprising how it tied together too.
Hawkeye: Just a good time. Love a good Christmas themed action thing, and Kate Bishop and Yelena's dynamic was excellent.
Moon Knight: Also rules, Oscar Isaac is fantastic and the reveal near the end was great.
Ms. Marvel: Took a little bit to get started, but once it got going I really dug it, and taught me some history I didn't know.

I like the MCU. I will watch every MCU thing that comes out, forever. I like media that is determined to entertain me and the MCU stuff is that. If I'm on my death bed and the MCU stuff is still coming out, I want them to put it on the screen in front of me while I flatline.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I like Cheers. I will watch every Cheers thing that comes out, forever. I like media that is determined to entertain me and the Cheers stuff is that. If I'm on my death bed and the Cheers stuff is still coming out, I want them to put it on the screen in front of me while I flatline.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I like Cheers. I will watch every Cheers thing that comes out, forever. I like media that is determined to entertain me and the Cheers stuff is that. If I'm on my death bed and the Cheers stuff is still coming out, I want them to put it on the screen in front of me while I flatline.

I got some good news for you about the afterlife

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

i've been saying this about ryukishi07 visual novels

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
does anyone have strong opinions about metal slug anthology vs the individual arcade archive releases?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Which console version?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I bought the anthology on PS4 and it had some noticeable input lag

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hmm ps4 is what i was looking at for anthology... probably switch if i go for the arcade archives

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah the Archives are better than the PS4 anthology which iirc is just emulating the PS2 anthology so it’s a copy of a copy and has some input lag problems.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The last MCU thing I enjoyed was mad max Fury road

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm not surprised there's mcu burnout because a decades-long superhero cinematic universe is like the story equivalent of capitalism, only instead of expected infinite growth it's expected infinite stakes

it's not actually possible to raise the stakes beyond a certain ceiling so once you hit it, you've pretty much peaked and the only thing to do is wipe the slate clean or else you're just going to get diminishing returns on people caring

this is not me advocating for, like, crisis on infinite earths or whatever, but if your only plan is to always build to the next BIG EVENT then it's foolish i think. it's also possible that there's only so much you can do with one franchise especially if you oversaturate it. like, if there were 5 james bond movies a year and 10 different james bond tv shows people would be sick of that guy!! (not really equivalent because it's one character vs a mountain of properties, but you know what i mean)

but 24 had this issue where it peaked with season 5 with the president of the US being the villain, and then in season 6 they had a nuke go off in LA, and it's like. well, you can't really go beyond that, because that's always been the kind of thing Jack was trying to stop and now it's happened. so even if you're like, Jack there's uhh ANOTHER nuke we have to stop, the emotional investment in that level of suspense has already been spent and can't be purchased again. and predictably the rest of that season meandered, and then they spent the rest of the series trying to 'reinvent' 24 because people had lost interest and it was spinning its wheels regurgitating the same plot points and story beats

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 27, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont think it's a very good form of storytelling whether it be in the comics or the attempt to bring it to films

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like the nature of franchises and intellectual property mean things have to remain static while the stakes write bigger and bigger checks they can't cash because long term consequences or god forbid an ending is verboten when you need to keep the franchise stable

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I was going to repeat my wish that either the MCU or DCU just do a comedy show about a bunch of loser supervillains (i.e. Kite Man et al) bumbling their way through robbing a bank when I suddenly realized The Suicide Squad and the Harley Quinn cartoon already so that quite well.

Maybe they should bring back that proposed Damage Control workplace sitcom they mothballed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
DC appears to have given up on the shared ongoing story idea and just lets anyone who has a good idea for their characters run off in different directions. Which didn't compete very well with the MCU when it was firing on all cylinders during the 2010s but is now looking a lot smarter