Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

pumped up for school posted:

Some of this is probably just fatigue, and that I usually do my binging on the road in hotel rooms. I watched Warrior last year. It helped that it was only 1-2 seasons. That was a fun ride.

Incidentally, re: Banshee, I laughed when two of the characters were driving out of NYC and there was a Strikeback billboard in the background. That was one I binged a few years ago.

Yeah, sometimes you can only watch a show in a particular genre so long until it becomes grating or tedious. I really enjoyed seasons 1-4 of Breaking Bad but still haven't watched the fifth since my tolerance for "Watch Walter White becoming an ever greater rear end in a top hat" kinda reached its limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Been watching a lot of House, M.D. lately. I’d seen a little bit of it while it was on the air, but not a lot. It has the cynicism of a cop procedural without being about cops. House is committing Elliot Stabler levels of malpractice and unfortunately it’s super fun to watch.

Most of the episodes range from middling to good, but every so often there’s something that just blows me away; last night I watched the season 2 two-parter where Omar Epps gets a brain parasite from a patient and goes blind, then injects Cameron with the parasite so she’ll be more motivated to save him. Just absurd and somehow still terrifying.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished up The Terminal List. Not bad at all, definitely onboard for season 2.

Taylor Kitsch was fantastic in it. I missed Riggs. :smith:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I just watched 'Justified' from start to finish several months back. Awesome show. Knew about it and I think I even started watching the first season as it aired....but otherwise it fell off the radar. Surprised I never really heard more about it. Anyways....I caught a headline on my browser app about production being shutdown on 'Justified: City Primeval' this week due to a car chase and shooting. Forget about the shooting....I didn't realize a sequel (probably limited) series was coming. Excelsior.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I just watched 'Justified' from start to finish several months back. Awesome show. Knew about it and I think I even started watching the first season as it aired....but otherwise it fell off the radar. Surprised I never really heard more about it. Anyways....I caught a headline on my browser app about production being shutdown on 'Justified: City Primeval' this week due to a car chase and shooting. Forget about the shooting....I didn't realize a sequel (probably limited) series was coming. Excelsior.

Yep-

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh hell yea I could use me some more Raylan Givens.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Blown Away Season 3 on Netflix. The show has a lot of really talented and creative people on it, but it also indulgences in some of the most obnoxious qualities of reality contest shows and I hate it. Season 3 has somewhat less fart-huffing than the previous two, but also less actual discussion of glassblowing techniques. The judges are still often really arbitrary and full of poo poo. You can tell that all the contestants are swallowing their pride and sucking up to the main judge as hard as they can because they know that's the only real factor that determines whether they get kicked off. It's like the worst professor at art school who always played favorites got a TV show and now each contestant's career is in that person's hands.

The glass blowing part is fascinating, and if you're interested in it, I'd highly recommend the Corning Museum of Glass's youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/corningmuseumofglass/videos

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My grandfather knew how to blow glass cause he made neon signs. It’s was super cool but there’s no money in it unfortunately.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Anyone watch Resident Evil on Netflix? The writing seems pretty poor, resulting in the lead character making the dumbest possible decisions all the way through the first episode. Does it get any better?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Anyone watch Resident Evil on Netflix? The writing seems pretty poor, resulting in the lead character making the dumbest possible decisions all the way through the first episode. Does it get any better?

It gets dumber. I don't know if that's what you're looking for. I fast forwarded through the last 5 or so eps because it's kind of interesting at times but mostly terrible.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Not particularly, no. It's sort of worth watching for the parts with Lance Reddick hamming it up, but pretty much everything in the later of the two timelines is pretty bad on account of having no Lance Reddick.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Spermanent Record posted:

It gets dumber. I don't know if that's what you're looking for. I fast forwarded through the last 5 or so eps because it's kind of interesting at times but mostly terrible.

I've never fast forwarded more through a show in my life lol

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What's the tone of Hacks? Is it going to be a downer? I'm looking for something new to get into, leaning towards lighter than darker.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

What's the tone of Hacks? Is it going to be a downer? I'm looking for something new to get into, leaning towards lighter than darker.

Nah, it's not really a downer at all. There's some abrasive personalities in it but it's a lot of fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Trig Discipline posted:

Nah, it's not really a downer at all. There's some abrasive personalities in it but it's a lot of fun.

There are some pretty sad moment (the Jeff Ward episode in season 1 for instance), but it's ultimately feel good, in that bitter sweet way that feels more earned that some of the other feel-good poo poo I've seen over the years. I'd recommend it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Trig Discipline posted:

Open Source Idiom posted:

There are some pretty sad moment (the Jeff Ward episode in season 1 for instance), but it's ultimately feel good, in that bitter sweet way that feels more earned that some of the other feel-good poo poo I've seen over the years. I'd recommend it.

Sweet. I'm giving Our Flag Means Death another go, then will try out Hacks. Thanks!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Started The Bear and watched 5 or 6 episodes in one day. Absolutely fantastic. Reminds me of the insane energy of Uncut Gems.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I’ve been enjoying American Gladiators like a good patriot.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXl0WQhC6N6V531uCkFrYJkwJOIVXut1H

They have seasons 2 and 3 up on YouTube.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Went through 'The Old Man' on Hulu and it was mediocre. Bridges is great in the role, as is Lithgow, but the story really lost me. Turns out Bridges' daughter is Lithgow's FBI confidante/protégé, which ok, that's pretty wild, but then it turns out she's also secretly not Bridges' daughter but is actually the daughter of the series antagonist. It was pretty telegraphed and it wasn't a "twist" at all, it just felt so forced and unnecessary.

Turns out a show about an old CIA spook played by one of the all time greats can actually suck. Who knew.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
oh man that show got so sleepy so fast after a good start. So.............much.............talking. zzzZZZzzzz

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I'm late to the party but I just finished Arcane and am flabbergasted that the loving League of Legends show turned out to be the best thing on TV of the past year.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched the first series of Hacks, which was mentioned earlier in the thread. It's entertaining, if a bit bland. The actors are well cast and their performances are great but the writing feels uneven to me, like it wants to be ‘effortlessly’ smart but it’ll serve up straight up slapstick or one-dimensional sitcom characters and situations, like it’s the Big Bang without a laugh track, in the same breath.

I guess I also expected more comedy from a show that’s about a comedian and a comedy writer but like a lot of things most of that is glossed over in favour of preserving some kind of state of ‘conflict’ between the two leads. Half the time, most characters feel more like mouthpieces for the writer's opinions on things I generally do not care about - perceived differences between generations or between residents of this or that town or state or what have you – and the story has a few interesting notions but nothing is ever really fleshed out.

I expect the second series will be more of the same, which is fine – it’s a good show to fill some time with, but not something I’ll revisit on a rewatch, I guess.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 27, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Went through 'The Old Man' on Hulu and it was mediocre. Bridges is great in the role, as is Lithgow, but the story really lost me. Turns out Bridges' daughter is Lithgow's FBI confidante/protégé, which ok, that's pretty wild, but then it turns out she's also secretly not Bridges' daughter but is actually the daughter of the series antagonist. It was pretty telegraphed and it wasn't a "twist" at all, it just felt so forced and unnecessary.

Turns out a show about an old CIA spook played by one of the all time greats can actually suck. Who knew.

I thought the more interesting dynamic was Zoe’s ark and how they handled her transition as it were. The whole daughter thing was a bit contrived, but I appreciated how they raised the stakes and things have to change dramatically as a result.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
After really enjoying Irma Vep I started Call My Agent and it's very much that vibe. Scootering through Paris, casually glamorous stars, weirdos hanging around those stars and a general sense of barely contained chaos.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Irma Vep was great. Better than the movie. It didn’t really end up being about anything besides itself I guess but who cares when it’s this funny?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This show was a bit of a roller coaster. Had some great moments. Started slow, peaked high, then the ending to bland as hell. Not to mention the season finale cliffhanger. What a build up to just end it. I almost feel like it had an episode cut, which happens often in production. Kind of a bummer because I liked all the cast, including Zoe.

Escobarbarian posted:

Irma Vep was great. Better than the movie. It didn’t really end up being about anything besides itself I guess but who cares when it’s this funny?

I loved this and Alicia Vikander, Vincent Macaigne and Devon Ross were perfect. I loved the mixing of the old and new, where some shots are current, some are the original production and some are the behind-the-scenes of the original played by the new cast. Really a great show. Every time Alicia had a dancing scene I was smiling.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Rome had some amazing dialogue.

"it's a consular loving funeral, innit??"

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I watched all of it and it was terrible. The best thing was I really liked teenage Jade's plaid pants and I kinda want some and everything else was frustrating and stupid. Bad decisions and dumb luck is not good writing.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Rome had some amazing dialogue.

"It's hotter than Vulcan's dick!"

"She has a spot down there, it's like a little button"
"HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS OF HER?"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

My dad, by random chance, got into this K-Drama on Netflix called Extraordinary Attorney Woo. Watched a couple of episodes with him and it's been charming so far. It reminds of watching a USA Original series like Psych or Monk.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

SgtSteel91 posted:

My dad, by random chance, got into this K-Drama on Netflix called Extraordinary Attorney Woo. Watched a couple of episodes with him and it's been charming so far. It reminds of watching a USA Original series like Psych or Monk.

I've also gotten into it. After the first few episodes, Woo really starts to become a character in a story and not just a DSM V entry. It's also a show that reminds us that the true evil in society isn't crime, its parents.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

"It's hotter than Vulcan's dick!"

"She has a spot down there, it's like a little button"
"HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS OF HER?"

Batiatus from Spartacus has it beat but I think they were clearly inspired by the HBO show.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mu Zeta posted:

Batiatus from Spartacus has it beat but I think they were clearly inspired by the HBO show.

Words fall from your mouth like poo poo from arse.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Once again the gods spread cheeks to ram cock in loving rear end

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

After having watched The Bear, Twin Peaks for the first time and Winning Time back to back, all fantastic series, is there hope for me to watch something else at that level that's coming out right now?

I started the 3rd season of The Boys but I ain't feeling it. The only character I like is Frenchie, and he doesn't have much screen time. Everybody else is meh, who cares or just plain evil.

Thankfully the last season of Better Call Saul is on air and it's looking to be an absolute banger.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lifroc posted:

After having watched The Bear, Twin Peaks for the first time and Winning Time back to back, all fantastic series, is there hope for me to watch something else at that level that's coming out right now?

I started the 3rd season of The Boys but I ain't feeling it. The only character I like is Frenchie, and he doesn't have much screen time. Everybody else is meh, who cares or just plain evil.

Thankfully the last season of Better Call Saul is on air and it's looking to be an absolute banger.

You’ve watched Severence yes? I tried the After Party, but couldn’t get through the first episode. Everyone’s just trying to be too cheeky for me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Lifroc posted:

Are you watching Only Murders in the Building?

Not an all-time great, but we just went through about a 12-15 year old show called Single-handed on Acorn. The stories center around an honorable-to-a-fault police sergeant in a small town in rural Ireland. There are 2 seasons with three double-episodes each, and the cases in each pair of episodes build pretty tightly on each other to explore the relationship of the cop to his family and other important characters in the town as the black-and-white cop navigates the shades-of-gray town. The film quality looks kind of old and the dialog is sometimes oddly reminiscent of Dark Shadows (not necessarily a compliment), but we liked the show overall.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
How is Only Murders in the Building? I've been meaning to check it out, but just keep forgetting about it.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Robobot posted:

How is Only Murders in the Building? I've been meaning to check it out, but just keep forgetting about it.

very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Robobot posted:

Haven't watched the second season yet (waiting for it to finish)....but I was very pleasantly surprised. My expectations were that the "jokes" were going to be lazy and that the actual story wasn't going to be all that interesting. And while the stakes never seem to high with the "mystery" aspect....that didn't even end up mattering. I love shows that can manage humor in subtle ways....and this show really succeeded there. The show runners let Martin and Short do the heavy lifting and they nail it, imo. All around....it looks like they are having a lot of fun.....and I think that's reflected in the quality of the show.

Looking forward to watching the second season.