Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I figured Taco Bell must have global reach and it would be impossible not to get that standard corporate baseline right, but apparently of the six European countries where Taco Bell has 92 locations currently, France is not one of them.

I started thinking it would be like if Skyline Chili tried to make inroads in, like, Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Yeah for some reason we decided to call a Taco some kind of burrito (probably a pita galette at the beginning) stuffed with 1 to a lot of different kind of low cost "meats" + a shitload of various sauces + fries. It's probably at the bottom of the trash of local junk food here in france, but you probably can't beat the amount of food per euro ratio.
For those salivating at the idea of having chicken and cordon bleu reunited at last in a sandwich, hold on your hopes because I can guarantee you it's the cheapest and dryest off brand supermaket trash you can find that is used there.

I ordered that once and immediatly regretted it.

We have some other weird combinations like putting burger patties, salad and fries in a baguette , called Sandwich Americain or Mitraillette (machine gun). That was my staple food during summers.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pookah posted:

That's not true, we have extremely authentic tacos in Europe.

:colbert:

wow menthol tacos

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I started thinking it would be like if Skyline Chili tried to make inroads in, like, Texas

Half the country already believes we’re headed to civil war anyway, so what the hell, let’s give people another casus belli for it

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

FFT posted:

... are those carrot shavings!?

... and cucumber!!??

Avocado, spinach, and arugula are fine, I guess, but what

oh no, is that a dollop of ranch dressing in the middle?

It's toothpaste, that's what makes it EXTRA COOL

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FFT posted:

... and cucumber!!??

We don't have ranch here so it's probably sour cream

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

:supaburn: XXXXX-TRA MILD :2bong:

WHat's funny to me is that during my most recent trip to visit my parents, I find out that they don't just buy a box of taco shells, they buy the kind that comes with a seasoning and a sauce packet, then throw out the packets :psyduck:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

FFT posted:

... and cucumber!!??

It's carrot shavings and zucchini. The dollop in the middle is sour cream.

Not sure why you are horrified about carrot, it's in lots of mexican food.

Data Graham posted:

I figured Taco Bell must have global reach and it would be impossible not to get that standard corporate baseline right, but apparently of the six European countries where Taco Bell has 92 locations currently, France is not one of them.

Only been in the UK for a little bit. I enjoyed the fries, everything else was terrible.
The small little street food place in town run by hippies is far better. No idea if its closer to authentic though, not many Mexicans around here.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 12:59 on Jul 27, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

WHat's funny to me is that during my most recent trip to visit my parents, I find out that they don't just buy a box of taco shells, they buy the kind that comes with a seasoning and a sauce packet, then throw out the packets :psyduck:

sick rear end new av there homie.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mega Comrade posted:

The dollop in the middle is sour cream.
Maybe, but it's got dill in it.

Mega Comrade posted:

Not sure why you are horrified about carrot, it's in lots of mexican food.
:psyduck:

Yeah it's a vegetable staple that grows in Mexico but it is not a vegetable featured in traditionally Mexican foods

Like there are plenty of ways to prepare carrots in a Mexican food style, but who the gently caress puts carrot shavings in a taco!?

stringless has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Jul 27, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Taco Bell would do gangbusters in Sweden and I’m floored as to why they aren’t in the Nordics. Svennetacos are not good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mega Comrade posted:

Only been in the UK for a little bit. I enjoyed the fries, everything else was terrible.
The small little street food place in town run by hippies is far better. No idea if its closer to authentic though, not many Mexicans around here.

Yeah just fyi, Taco Bell in the US does not have fries.

(This is not to say that helps the authenticity any here either, just that a taco place having fries is kind of a source of derision especially in places like SoCal)

Zanael posted:

Sandwich Americain or Mitraillette (machine gun).

Well that tracks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chicken cordon :barf:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Sometimes they do.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

teen witch posted:

Svennetacos are not good.

Do not believe the witch's lies.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Data Graham posted:

(This is not to say that helps the authenticity any here either, just that a taco place having fries is kind of a source of derision especially in places like SoCal)

Well that tracks

Depends on if they are doing nacho fries or not, which is sometimes

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mymla posted:

Do not believe the witch's lies.

I’ve had a wide variety of tacos around the world and svennetacos are not good

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

FFT posted:

:psyduck:

Yeah it's a vegetable staple that grows in Mexico but it is not a vegetable featured in traditionally Mexican foods

Like there are plenty of ways to prepare carrots in a Mexican food style, but who the gently caress puts carrot shavings in a taco!?

Loads of Mexican foods have carrots in them wtf are you on about. In tacos? Not sure but I know actual Mexican tacos have lots of variants including ones with fish, cabbage, radishes. All sorts of things. So I don't think carrot is that crazy of an addition :shrug:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Loads of Mexican foods have carrots in them wtf are you on about. In tacos? Not sure
Once you typed to this point you could have gone "oh, hmmmm" instead.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol you stated carrots are not in traditional Mexican food, so what the gently caress do you know?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'd never seen this before but I hope this man is a patron saint of AFP threads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=596vi4HLNj4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ror posted:

I'd never seen this before but I hope this man is a patron saint of AFP threads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=596vi4HLNj4

u just gotta live your best life I guess.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's one (1) authentic Mexican place in Reykavík. The rest are some form of watered down Euro Tex-Mex.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Not having the right immigrants is bad for trying to do the ethnic cuisine, but having a food culture that is so arrogant and self-confident about whatever it does is worse.

Data Graham posted:

:supaburn: XXXXX-TRA MILD :2bong:

It's fierce mild!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can say with certainty that if mild flavor technology had been advanced enough to create EXTRA MILD tacos when I was a kid, my folks would've made a beeline for it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

taco bell isn't that great you're not missing anything. I would trade all our taco bells for all your kebab shops any day.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can say with certainty that if mild flavor technology had been advanced enough to create EXTRA MILD tacos when I was a kid, my folks would've made a beeline for it.

Texture-only cheese! (Now cheeselesser!)
Sourless cream!
"Lettuce!" aqua-crisp product
Fauxmato cubes
Extra-gray beef sludge (also comes in salted)
Rerererefried bean proteins
A flour tortilla

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Texture-only cheese! (Now cheeselesser!)
Sourless cream!
"Lettuce!" aqua-crisp product
Fauxmato cubes
Rerererefried bean proteins
A flour tortilla

Carrots

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

the whites have been proudly doing mexican food wrong for hundreds of years

https://twitter.com/LRNROSE/status/1551363548328169472

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
nuggies are nuggies even in a strange foreign land.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Captain Hygiene posted:

so mild that it wraps all the way around the spice loop into COOL territory

only cool kids can tolerate this anti-spice :coolfish:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
On those French "tacos", I actually have eaten them from This joint in my home town

I had a small and my insides were destroyed, but it was tasty. Maybe I'll get em again some point

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol, that's pretty great, they know they're not "proper" tacos but they're just YOLO about it. It's a regional cuisine now, ESTABLISHED IN 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Brawnfire posted:

SALTED??!! Easy there pal, you trying to kill someone?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Bismuth posted:

So how sick would you actually get if you tasted the yellow puffed up/exploded florida sauce
I will not be tricked into sourcing a bottle and trying it simply by virtue of being within the state. :colbert:

bunnyofdoom posted:

On those French "tacos", I actually have eaten them from [url=https://mont-tacos.com/en/restaurants/o
oh my god there's a dessert menu

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

SALTED??!! Easy there pal, you trying to kill someone?

There's a waiver

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
mimolette is good as hell. and you bet i ate the part the bugs chewed on.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

KFC Mint Chocolate dipping sauce, just no.
https://soranews24.com/2022/07/28/kfc-debuts-mint-chocolate-dipping-sauce-for-chicken-in-south-korea%e3%80%90taste-test%e3%80%91/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

FFT posted:

[the carrot is] a vegetable staple that grows in Mexico but it is not a vegetable featured in traditionally Mexican foods

:ese: pay no attention to the escabeche behind the curtain