Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That's great, Rolo!
I really like Korg's weirdness. Little battery powered synths in a wide variety of styles, at a low price, tiny digital / some assembly required synths with DIY oscillators and fx, soft synths for Nintendo handhelds, probably a few other odd-balls I'm unaware of just yet. They take a bunch of unusual paths, and I dig it.
Just picked up a switch, and the Korg gadget was my first eshop purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I don't know if anyone's heard of Leila K outside the nordic countries but I made a remix of Electric, one the greatest eurodance songs out there. It's probably going to be the closing tune of this iteration of my eurorack live set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_jICFTNBz4

The samples are totally unauthorized and might get caught by some copyright bot so there's a very real possibility that the video won't stay up. We'll see how it goes! :ssh:

Sequencing: Nerdseq
Drums: LXR-02
Vocal samples: Disting mk 4
VCOs: A-111-6, Chainsaw, Plaits (Knit), MCO, Twin Waves (mk I)
FX and filters: Steve's MS-22, Cinnamon, ADDAC604, FX Aid, Mimeophon, Warps, Shakmat Hipass
Other: Planar 2, Stages, + some mixers, attenuators and VCAs...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Rolo posted:

I went there a couple months ago and fell in love with the Sub25.

It’s a dangerous place, had to buy something so I got these boys.

almost as cool as the ones Teenage Engineering sells for $300

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Moog ones are better and 10 bucks lmao.

I still like a couple of their products but as a company *rolls eyes, jerking off motion*

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

I still like a couple of their products but as a company *rolls eyes, jerking off motion*

MOOG or TE?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

j.peeba posted:

I don't know if anyone's heard of Leila K outside the nordic countries but I made a remix of Electric, one the greatest eurodance songs out there. It's probably going to be the closing tune of this iteration of my eurorack live set.

The samples are totally unauthorized and might get caught by some copyright bot so there's a very real possibility that the video won't stay up. We'll see how it goes! :ssh:

FX and filters: Steve's MS-22, Cinnamon, ADDAC604, FX Aid, Mimeophon, Warps, Shakmat Hipass

Awesome.

e: yes I remember Leila K from "open sesame"

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 27, 2022

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

MOOG makes car parts.
Moog died after the one, unfinished, shipped with an external PSU but still sounds like a jet taking off. I get the pressures of manufacturing but like, smaller houses do better, larger houses do better, kind of wish people would stop giving them a pass.
TE, lol.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Rolo posted:

The Moog ones are better and 10 bucks lmao.

this was a joke about blank t-shirts TE sells.

On that front, of course the OP-1 that I am returning was delivered right on time (and is on its way back), but the Hydrasynth is spinning its wheels in Indiana despite being an "overnight" delivery slated for yesterday. B&H was cool enough to see the delay and refund my shipping cost, not much to do but chill another day, and if it's still stuck in the same status tomorrow that probably warrants a call to B&H since fedex swore it should show new tracking already.

Generally, this is good. Of everything going on in the world, this is a good thing for me to be worried about.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

thread, i come to you with a question about a sound. the lead in this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLzQg7fy1u0

i'm usually pretty good at figuring it out but this has me stumped - my assumption is scanning through wavetables based on the way the timbre changes doesn't sound like filtering to me (mainly because this is a technique i'm not farmiliar with) and clever programming that jumps up and down octaves. any clues?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

j.peeba posted:

Very good, thanks for sharing. How do you like the LXR-02 in your setup, do you ever replace it with modules for drums? I think you mentioned this was your travel/show setup so the LXR works out due to its size?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

field balm posted:

thread, i come to you with a question about a sound. the lead in this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLzQg7fy1u0

i'm usually pretty good at figuring it out but this has me stumped - my assumption is scanning through wavetables based on the way the timbre changes doesn't sound like filtering to me (mainly because this is a technique i'm not farmiliar with) and clever programming that jumps up and down octaves. any clues?
I might take a stab at having a few different sound sources playing the same note, but with different waveforms, and fading between them. It almost sounds like the first bit of each sound has some quick fm or folding that decays a lot faster than the rest of the sound.

Possible that the result is then put through a filter modulated by a slow lfo.

Interesting thought experiment. Thanks for asking.
Also curious what others here think?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I think folder or FM is a good guess, I also think its probably a couple voices/patches mixed cleverly. e: specifically the plucks and the longer drawn notes sound different to me but maybe thats just the same osc through different envelopes?

The thing that sticks out to me (cause of how I've been patching recently) is the moving resonant peak absent the normal filter stuff. That could be a phaser or an all-pass or eq or clever manipulation of FM or a wavefolder. I think it almost doesn't matter the exact chain?

Wavefolder after subtractive filter maybe?

Could also just be wavetables lol but that feels like a bit of a cop-out answer. The track title makes me think in Eurorack terms but don't people really like Elektron stuff for that style? Which is gonna be a totally different path to the same place

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sounds to me like a synth tone with an auto tune effect, the kind that accepts MIDI notes instead of just tracking the incoming audio. So you have the synth tone that’s playing a set of notes, and then you have the auto tune effect with all the flourishes.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Coolnezzz posted:

Very good, thanks for sharing. How do you like the LXR-02 in your setup, do you ever replace it with modules for drums? I think you mentioned this was your travel/show setup so the LXR works out due to its size?

Thanks! LXR-02 is very nice. It’s definitely got a crunchy digital tone of its own which makes it stand out from the competition. I like the character but YMMV. To occasionally vary the sounds and style of the drums I do do some drum loops with Disting’s clocked sample playback mode for breakbeats or hat/snare patterns. I also have the option to use Nerdseq’s audio outs for playing individual drum hits but I haven’t really had the need for it yet.

Programming the drum sounds is pretty easy if you’ve ever played around with drum synthesis. I didn’t really bother with the presets at all and started building my own kits right away.

The controls are OK for playing live. Sliders for volumes and the buttons for doing drum rolls get constant use. Morphing between kits is fun too.

The size was also a pretty significant factor indeed. I think the balance of controls and I/O vs. the footprint is pretty good here. When playing live I can fit everything I need besides the case in a small backpack or a tote bag.

There’s some bugs though (it sometimes gets unresponsive when it sits around for a while without user interaction + some parameters are not updated on MIDI program change) and Erica doesn’t update the firmware that frequently. They don’t have any communication channels that I know of where they let the users know what’s going on with the development.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

j.peeba posted:

Thanks! LXR-02 is very nice. It’s definitely got a crunchy digital tone of its own which makes it stand out from the competition. I like the character but YMMV. To occasionally vary the sounds and style of the drums I do do some drum loops with Disting’s clocked sample playback mode for breakbeats or hat/snare patterns. I also have the option to use Nerdseq’s audio outs for playing individual drum hits but I haven’t really had the need for it yet.

Programming the drum sounds is pretty easy if you’ve ever played around with drum synthesis. I didn’t really bother with the presets at all and started building my own kits right away.

The controls are OK for playing live. Sliders for volumes and the buttons for doing drum rolls get constant use. Morphing between kits is fun too.

The size was also a pretty significant factor indeed. I think the balance of controls and I/O vs. the footprint is pretty good here. When playing live I can fit everything I need besides the case in a small backpack or a tote bag.

There’s some bugs though (it sometimes gets unresponsive when it sits around for a while without user interaction + some parameters are not updated on MIDI program change) and Erica doesn’t update the firmware that frequently. They don’t have any communication channels that I know of where they let the users know what’s going on with the development.

Awesome, thanks for that info. I've been watching some videos on it and it seems like a lot of fun. I'm still learning my Digitakt though, I do NOT need another drum machine right now but I really dig the way the LXR-02 sounds!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

havelock posted:

Both are pretty easy in the grid.

You can use the phase scaler to generate gate signals that are fractions or multiples of the master tempo / clock and feed those right into the sampler to trigger your samples. For quantized notes you can do a few things. If you want to stay in the grid you can use the same phase scaler idea along with an oscillator of your choice. For pitch you can just use a random value fed into the pitch quantizer as a starting point. If you want to use vsts to 'play' your notes, you could do a note out from the grid and have the vst next in the chain. There's also a key filter device for outside of the grid, too.

Polarity on youtube has a ton of ambient examples and I always learn some new technique from his stuff.

EDIT: here's a little subset of one of my patches

Cool, I'll have to give this a try. Thanks!

edit: Ohhhhhhh yeah, that's the stuff :getin:

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 29, 2022

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Moved my PC to another desk today so that I can use my old Ikea countertop for the noise side of the room.

Cable management on this side of the room is functional but not pretty, I think audio routing is done. I still haven't actually connected power to the strip yet but it's routed, MIDI routing comes tomorrow.

Feels like I need an Octatrack, and I need to find better locations for the NTS-1 and the Zoom effects box. Added some fancy knobs to the NTS-1 today as well.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

When I get over the initial Hydrasynth learning curve, get my space reconfigured and then get over the curve of interfacing the hydra to my existing semimodulars in various ways, I am going to look at adding some modular stuff:

I have 3 semi modulars now: Make Noise 0coast, and Moog Mavis & Mother32. I am imagining getting the niftycase bundle (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NiftyBundle--cre8-audio-niftybundle-eurorack-case-with-modules-and-cables -- I have heard the included modules aren't that great but this is only $60 more than the blank case) and immediately adding a Make Noise Maths and a Mordax Data to it, and then just start tinkering with those things along side the semimodulars.

Maths just seems stupid powerful, and Data seems both powerful and like a nice way to visualize some stuff and learn more about how things work.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan and are there any other modules I should be looking at? I know Korg has NTI-2 coming out which does a lot of what Data does at a lower cost, but it's also not available yet and it's 2 channel instead of 4.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bad Gear got a Fizmo!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ae9eMKylqDo

Yeah… seems like even he doesn’t like it much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even the intro jingle sounded wimpy and dull.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

xzzy posted:

Even the intro jingle sounded wimpy and dull.

It really doesn’t sit well in a mix at all. Sometimes it just disappears completely, sometimes it over powers in a very mid or high range which just sounds obnoxious.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

When I get over the initial Hydrasynth learning curve, get my space reconfigured and then get over the curve of interfacing the hydra to my existing semimodulars in various ways, I am going to look at adding some modular stuff:

I have 3 semi modulars now: Make Noise 0coast, and Moog Mavis & Mother32. I am imagining getting the niftycase bundle (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NiftyBundle--cre8-audio-niftybundle-eurorack-case-with-modules-and-cables -- I have heard the included modules aren't that great but this is only $60 more than the blank case) and immediately adding a Make Noise Maths and a Mordax Data to it, and then just start tinkering with those things along side the semimodulars.

Maths just seems stupid powerful, and Data seems both powerful and like a nice way to visualize some stuff and learn more about how things work.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan and are there any other modules I should be looking at? I know Korg has NTI-2 coming out which does a lot of what Data does at a lower cost, but it's also not available yet and it's 2 channel instead of 4.

The big question is what you want to do with what you buy. I also considered getting a Data early on and ended up skipping it and spending on an actual module instead, a decision I think was right for me because I realized I found more value in making more & different sounds. But maybe if analysis is really what you’re into, it could be worth it.

If it were me with a similar budget, I’d be getting just a case, either this or the Tiptop Happy Ending, and adding an effect or two that you don’t currently have access to. I’d consider a Mimeophon or Desmodus Versio for delay or reverb, or maybe a dedicated filter. Maths is great but 0-Coast gives you half a Maths already with the slope and contour circuits, so that might be one you could hold off for a future purchase or when you outgrow your 0-coast.

edit: a Versio is also nice because you can flash any of the other Versio firmwares onto it *for free*, making it extremely versatile: https://noiseengineering.us/pages/world-of-versio

edgar_ fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 29, 2022

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

net work error posted:

Feel like the Volca Modular doesn't get much love but it looks interesting and an attainable way of getting a mini Buchla thing. I think I want one!

I happen to be selling mine in the Gear Trades thread.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Thanks everyone who recommended ornament and crime to me. Got mine loaded w Hemisphere (cause I liked how the workflow on that looked) and this thing does a lot of stuff I really want to do (quantizing, euclidean triggers). Got mine from a company called "after later audio" and now I have another module from them, rainier, on the way.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So Math posted:

I happen to be selling mine in the Gear Trades thread.

This thread is too supportive, sending a PM!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

CatBlack posted:

Thanks everyone who recommended ornament and crime to me. Got mine loaded w Hemisphere (cause I liked how the workflow on that looked) and this thing does a lot of stuff I really want to do (quantizing, euclidean triggers). Got mine from a company called "after later audio" and now I have another module from them, rainier, on the way.

Rainier is just a upeaks right? I was looking at them but couldn't figure out what was different between that and the Baker one

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

JamesKPolk posted:

Rainier is just a upeaks right? I was looking at them but couldn't figure out what was different between that and the Baker one

It has output attenuverters, baker does not. That's the only difference.

e: yes, its a upeaks

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It really doesn’t sit well in a mix at all. Sometimes it just disappears completely, sometimes it over powers in a very mid or high range which just sounds obnoxious.

it's fine. the initial impulse is to use the filter, which is admittedly very interesting, on every voice in every patch. but really it should be used when you specifically want the sound of the filter, not so much what it's filtering, like using distortion. besides that, the design is to stack a ton of complex voices with complex modulation, so the natural state of the fizmo is to be ducking voices in and out via volume envelopes and basically doing sound collage which is a thing that will never really sit in a mix consistently. like in the video, if you want to do soundtrack ambient stuff, it's real good for that.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

it's fine. the initial impulse is to use the filter, which is admittedly very interesting, on every voice in every patch. but really it should be used when you specifically want the sound of the filter, not so much what it's filtering, like using distortion. besides that, the design is to stack a ton of complex voices with complex modulation, so the natural state of the fizmo is to be ducking voices in and out via volume envelopes and basically doing sound collage which is a thing that will never really sit in a mix consistently. like in the video, if you want to do soundtrack ambient stuff, it's real good for that.

Yeah, I had one from 2000-2008. It was my first synthesizer, even before soft synths. And it was my only synth for a few years there.

What you say about the filter is interesting though. But overall, it just has some tonal qualities that are not pleasant, in my opinion.

Having said that, I'd probably pay up to $100 for a software version of the Fizmo. :lol:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

CatBlack posted:

I have more After Later modules in my system than anything else. They're great for modular on a budget, since they do lower-cost clones of many MI modules and a number of other nice designs. The FILThy is a really great filter that can be turned into a fantastic bass kick when you turn up the resonance and put an envelope on the cutoff. They recently came out with QARV, which is four slope generators with built-in VCAs, meaning it can be anything from four envelopes/VCAs to a full synth voice on its own. It even costs less than Maths, although it takes up more HP. If you're set on attenuverters and don't really care about the logic stuff, it could be a great alternative in that category.

I've been interested in a Rainier, mostly so I can have CV control over the FM drums and do fun stuff with them, but I already have their vanilla Peaks clone.

Also they're based here in Seattle which makes me happy :)

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I spent the morning making a techno track on the DigiTakt, it was really fun to make and play and I actually dig it a lot. Still learning tricks for playing my tracks, control all is fun to play around with.

https://soundcloud.com/coolnezzz/digitakt-techno-001

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

The Data is great (I love mine and would never sell it), but it's worth it to me because I have a large, mostly modular setup and only use it for that -- and it certainly wasn't anywhere near my first module. If you're planning on visualizing non-modular stuff, you MIGHT be better served by an audio interface/module (Expert Sleepers has some options though they get pricey) that lets you capture a good number of audio channels simultaneously with your PC and handling that in your DAW of choice. There are a lot of really nice plugins out there for that. Plus you don't run into the hardware limitations of the Data and you don't have to manage the different line/voltage levels of your modular and non-modular gear via hardware, which can get annoying.

It was mentioned by another poster above, but Ornaments & Crime with the Hemispheres firmware might actually be a good option for you if you're looking at both the Data and Maths. It doesn't do what either does quite as well, but it does a TON of other stuff, too, and is a super useful utility to have around. And Hemispheres lets you run two different utilities simultaneously. It's probably my most-used module.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Kraven Moorhed posted:

The Data is great (I love mine and would never sell it), but it's worth it to me because I have a large, mostly modular setup and only use it for that -- and it certainly wasn't anywhere near my first module. If you're planning on visualizing non-modular stuff, you MIGHT be better served by an audio interface/module (Expert Sleepers has some options though they get pricey) that lets you capture a good number of audio channels simultaneously with your PC and handling that in your DAW of choice. There are a lot of really nice plugins out there for that. Plus you don't run into the hardware limitations of the Data and you don't have to manage the different line/voltage levels of your modular and non-modular gear via hardware, which can get annoying.

It was mentioned by another poster above, but Ornaments & Crime with the Hemispheres firmware might actually be a good option for you if you're looking at both the Data and Maths. It doesn't do what either does quite as well, but it does a TON of other stuff, too, and is a super useful utility to have around. And Hemispheres lets you run two different utilities simultaneously. It's probably my most-used module.

all good info. To be clear I am trying to grow out a modular setup and this seems like a fun (if expensive) way to visualize various things while doing that.

Thanks to the poster who pointed out that 0coast Slope is basically half a maths -- OTOH there are a lot of Make Noise fanpersons out there who seem to really enjoy using the things together. But, I do think having a filter or two might be higher priority for now. And, really, I need to finish rearranging my space so everything is useful again.

Two random questions:

This seems silly, dumb, and the 1-star comments make it sound like TE-grade mystical hidden controls inside a Korg package. I don't really want to drop $75 on a toy but has anyone used one?

Two: supply chain concerns and the thrash I see in the synth industry is spurring me to just buy as much stuff as I reasonably can now, given having reasonable money to spend on it. Does that feel valid to the overall thread, or am I just using global events to justify my rabid materialism? Or both??

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I always recite my mantra:
BUYING IS NOT THE HOBBY

Is buying the hobby for you?

If buying is the hobby, and you are not to the point of making poor financial decisions, go for it.

If buying is not the hobby for you, what are you trying to accomplish?

I want to be able to make Industrial Techno / EBM / Aggrotech, but also play piano music like Ryuichi Sakamoto. My goal is to have a couple cool synths, modular, and either an 88key midi controller or a stage piano.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buying stuff just because it might be scarce in the future is a questionable motivation, but if you got the money and it makes you happy more power to you.

A more sensible outlook is to make purchases based on creating an environment you're comfortable to work in or can produce the tones you want. If some new sequencer looks like it'll revolutionize your workflow and unlock your inner mozart, then sure, go buy it. It probably won't but you won't know until you try it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Two: supply chain concerns and the thrash I see in the synth industry is spurring me to just buy as much stuff as I reasonably can now, given having reasonable money to spend on it. Does that feel valid to the overall thread, or am I just using global events to justify my rabid materialism? Or both??

I decided to get into modular via DIY kits in 2021. Scarcity definitely inspired a kind of “panic buying” behavior in me whenever things that were previously out of stock become available. I’ve eased up on that though, but who is to say whether that’s because I learned to self-regulate, or because I filled up my 2x104 Mantis rack already. :homebrew:

Oh, I also learned there’s always sales around holidays, so… yeah, I’m holding off on my next purchase until Labor Day sales are announced.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks to the poster who pointed out that 0coast Slope is basically half a maths

Can you explain this part a bit more? I don't know enough about Maths to fully get it but I'd like to!

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

Can you explain this part a bit more? I don't know enough about Maths to fully get it but I'd like to!

The Slope and Contour circuits on 0coast are both function generators, simpler than Maths ch1 / ch4 but similar to them. On both Maths and 0coast circuits, rise & fall can be set and modulated, you can set the rise/fall relationship with log/exp knobs, they can be triggered with gates (slope also has a cycle option to continuously fire), both have gate triggers that occur within the cycle. You can’t do everything with 0coast that you can with Maths but there’s a lot of overlap.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Two random questions:

This seems silly, dumb, and the 1-star comments make it sound like TE-grade mystical hidden controls inside a Korg package. I don't really want to drop $75 on a toy but has anyone used one?

1. I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard anyone use that keyboard. There’s plenty of kinda-cheap keyboard controllers that are widely used and loved so I don’t know why you’d settle for that.

2. Even during ”normal” times getting the modules you want usually required some patience or luck since most of the manufacturers are tiny and the small manufacturing batches end up scattered across different shops… So I’m going to go against the grain a bit here and say that if you can comfortably afford it you can grab whatever happens to be available and what seems useful to you. The second hand market will remain very active and you won’t lose a huge amount of money if you decide to move on. Unless the manufacturer comes up with a mk2 that makes your module much less desirable…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Korg opsix for 300 bucks:

https://reverb.com/item/58230812-korg-opsix?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=58230812