Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mameluke posted:

Was she filming something else? Valkyrie just fucks off back to her home planet like Kingo

She's apparently a producer as well as acting in a film called The Listener going off her Wikipedia page, and filming for Creed III may have overlapped with it too, since that's in post production now by the sounds of the Wikipedia page. I've no idea whether either of those things actually did impact on Thor: Love & Thunder for her, but they're the only recent things listed for roughly the same timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They don't.

MCU stuff is designed to make you want to watch all of it while actually still being accessible if you don't. Endgame wouldn't have made a bajillion dollars otherwise.

I wonder what the minimum list of movies for Infinity War to make sense would look like.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Spacebump posted:

I wonder what the minimum list of movies for Infinity War to make sense would look like.

Honestly, if you don't need to literal backstory to every single infinity stone, then you could just watch Guardians, Civil War, and Black Panther and you would have no problem with 95% of the main story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2a_W4-hck

Patrick Willems took his parents to see Endgame with the gimmick being that his parents have seen basically none of the MCU (mum knew basically nothing, dad had read comics as a kid and had that kind of comic book knowledge, they'd seen Iron Man and Ragnarok).

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Honestly, if you don't need to literal backstory to every single infinity stone, then you could just watch Guardians, Civil War, and Black Panther and you would have no problem with 95% of the main story.

Even Black Panther could be skipped since Civil War covers that Wakanda exists and is technologically advanced which is really all you need.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 27, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2a_W4-hck

Patrick Willems took his parents to see Endgame with the gimmick being that his parents have seen basically none of the MCU.

Even Black Panther could be skipped since Civil War covers that Wakanda exists and is technologically advanced which is really all you need.

True.

Guardians and Civil War are the only ones that you really need to get 95% of what is going on.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I was recovering from a surgery and sick and couldn’t go see Infinity War when it came out so when I could finally hobble out of the house I asked my mom to take me and she doesn’t like action movies and knows nothing of superheroes or the MCU

Anyway she fell asleep halfway through

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Iman Vellani had a short interview with Seth Meyers that continues making her look adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kolt1ayThP4

She talks about how awkward her first meeting with Kevin Feige was, hiding the fact she got the part from her friends for ages and arguing anonymously with strangers on Reddit about Marvel stuff while being unable to really go in on it because she has some knowledge of upcoming stuff. Oh, and the fact she cut a stop motion video of her toys after getting the part to send to Kevin Feige; who changed the titles for Ms. Marvel because he liked it :3:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Iman Vellani is the best.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Seth calls her Marvel's first Muslim superhero, but isn't that actually Layla from Moon Knight?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Valkyrie isn't in the final fight because the root of the film is Thor and Jane's relationship and the story it's telling is about them overcoming their conflict together

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Stayne Falls posted:

Seth calls her Marvel's first Muslim superhero, but isn't that actually Layla from Moon Knight?

Personally knows too many gods to be monotheistic

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

kazil posted:

Personally knows too many gods to be monotheistic

Moon Knight season 2 post-credits sequence is just YHWH and Allah chilling out in a park in Miami playing dominoes wearing identical cloaks arguing about something pedantic.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Stayne Falls posted:

Moon Knight season 2 post-credits sequence is just YHWH and Allah chilling out in a park in Miami playing dominoes wearing identical cloaks arguing about something pedantic.

This would actually really fit the show's theme of one person with multiple personalities

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

kazil posted:

This would actually really fit the show's theme of one person with multiple personalities

Oh yeah. Christian God is also absolutely the Jake Lockley of the three.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A few works like The Dresden Files and Rick Riordan's YA mythological series have done that. A supernatural figure like a god who has multiple cultural forms is different aspects of a single being, which is liable to change physical appearance and possibly memories along with personality.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chitoryu12 posted:

A few works like The Dresden Files and Rick Riordan's YA mythological series have done that. A supernatural figure like a god who has multiple cultural forms is different aspects of a single being, which is liable to change physical appearance and possibly memories along with personality.

There's also a slice of life manga called Saint Young Men about Jesus and Buddha as room-mates, going around doing everyday things as they try to get a feel for modern life and diminishing religious observation. I haven't read it ages, and there's been more translated in the meantime, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a page or two of them playing dominoes (well, probably mahjong or shogi or something instead) while arguing about minor things, because it's the kind of thing that manga indulges in and is really about.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 27, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqm0YYcOrOE

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Stayne Falls posted:

I think Ms. Marvel is technically the first "Title Character" Muslim superhero. For all we know Vision is a Muslim (kidding, but technically we've never seen him eat pork or drink alcohol onscreen), but Ms. Marvel is the first time we've specifically had the main, title-of-the-movie/show character be a Muslim.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

She-Hulk looks fun. I don't know about radical change in whatever, but it should be fun.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Brooks posted:

She-Hulk looks fun. I don't know about radical change in whatever, but it should be fun.

I mean, if they do actually lean into making it a proper mash up of "lawyer procedurals" and "superheroes" then it could be revolutionary, at least for Marvel, because it'd be a show where it isn't all about saving the world by punching a bad guy, where the tension doesn't have to come from the villain threatening to destroy something (usually the world or reality itself) etc. I'm sure there will be bad guy punching in it, but if this is what they're setting it up as (it probably won't be; at least not as much as people want) then the bad guy punching will be secondary, and She-Hulk will settle things more with lawyering than punching and be happy to focus on saving the world that way; even if she has to punch people occasionally. She can even be primarily a super strong "punch good" hero in crossover stuff, where the lawyering is a secondary joke, so long as the lawyering is more of her focus in her own show.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm glad we are getting nine episodes of She-Hulk, after every 6 episode series feeling so rushed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Firebert posted:

I'm glad we are getting nine episodes of She-Hulk, after every 6 episode series feeling so rushed.

Well they're half hour shows so it's a little different.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Feeling it's a safe bet that She-Hulk is a law show like Winter Soldier is a spy thriller and Ant-Man is a heist movie

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

tsob posted:

I mean, if they do actually lean into making it a proper mash up of "lawyer procedurals" and "superheroes" then it could be revolutionary, at least for Marvel, because it'd be a show where it isn't all about saving the world by punching a bad guy, where the tension doesn't have to come from the villain threatening to destroy something (usually the world or reality itself) etc. I'm sure there will be bad guy punching in it, but if this is what they're setting it up as (it probably won't be; at least not as much as people want) then the bad guy punching will be secondary, and She-Hulk will settle things more with lawyering than punching and be happy to focus on saving the world that way; even if she has to punch people occasionally. She can even be primarily a super strong "punch good" hero in crossover stuff, where the lawyering is a secondary joke, so long as the lawyering is more of her focus in her own show.

Hopefully they can keep it up through the entire series. Wandavision started out with a weird but intriguing series of genre bends, and I was a little disappointed that the show ended with heroes and villains flying through the sky shooting energy blasts at each other

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

X-O posted:

Well they're half hour shows so it's a little different.

is that half an hour including the 20 minutes of credits? :ohdear:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They aren't going to lean into an accurate procedural. There's so many things in just the trailer that would get her disbarred or lose the case.

Ethically, she can't even defend someone who attempted to kill her family member and the prosecution would get a different attorney assigned because Blonsky would have a very obvious deficient counsel claim if they convicted him.

The non-funny and 99% likely answer is:

Rarity posted:

Feeling it's a safe bet that She-Hulk is a law show like Winter Soldier is a spy thriller and Ant-Man is a heist movie

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ethically, she can't even defend someone who attempted to kill her family member and the prosecution would get a different attorney assigned because Blonsky would have a very obvious deficient counsel claim if they convicted him.

You say that like law procedurals don't ignore the actual specifics of the law where it suits them in order to make for better TV all the time.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

tsob posted:

It had a lot of the same style of humor, but it wasn't as well executed in most people's opinion. Which I'd agree with, even as someone who enjoyed the movie more than most people seemed to; at least here, anyway. It's generally not as good as Ragnarok full stop. It's still good, and I think the movie did a fine job of intercutting humor with some serious stuff, where a lot of people found them clashing and neither served well. There's a good bit of Guns n' Roses in the movie as a backdrop to action too. If anything, it gets a bit repetitive, because it's always Guns n' Roses, rather than being a medley of various 80s metal music or something.

I can't comment on how it compares to Stranger Things because I haven't watched any since season one dropped, and barely remember it. It's mostly the music though. The film does pop visually, and is constantly colorful with nice backgrounds and interesting locations if that's more generally what you meant however (based on the logo comment).

I don't know that it's a whole lot sillier or worse than Ragnarok. Both are very silly movies that just try to have fun with psychedelic viking himbo.

It's an extremely silly movie, but a fun watch. I felt the same about Ragnarok

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's like Ragnarok if you take out the meaty Thor/Loki scenes and don't replace them with nothing

Rarity fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 27, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rarity posted:

It's like Ragnarok if you take out the meaty Thor/Loki scenes and don't replace them with nothing

I don't know that there's anything Thor/Loki in that movie that's meatier than Thor/Jane, but personal opinion I guess

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jaxyon posted:

I don't know that there's anything Thor/Loki in that movie that's meatier than Thor/Jane, but personal opinion I guess

I agree, though I also like Thor 4 more than 3.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would have liked more of Christian Bale in the movie but that’s about it

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's always surprising when Ragnarok pops up on TNT or whatever to be reminded how little Cate Blanchett is both in the movie and how little she really ties into the story. There's a pretty hard divide between the fun Sakaar stuff and Hela's generic plan to raise a zombie army and take over the galaxy.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

The elevator scene in Ragnarok is the best part of any of the Thor movies, in my opinion

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

It's always surprising when Ragnarok pops up on TNT or whatever to be reminded how little Cate Blanchett is both in the movie and how little she really ties into the story. There's a pretty hard divide between the fun Sakaar stuff and Hela's generic plan to raise a zombie army and take over the galaxy.
Gorr isn’t in Thor 4 that much either. He’s at the beginning, again about 30 or so minutes in, and then the final act.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gorr isn’t in Thor 4 that much either. He’s at the beginning, again about 30 or so minutes in, and then the final act.

Makes you wonder if they get people like Blanchett and Bale by telling them that they can knock out their scenes in a couple weeks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Makes you wonder if they get people like Blanchett and Bale by telling them that they can knock out their scenes in a couple weeks.
It’s probably the giant paycheck

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

tsob posted:

Iman Vellani had a short interview with Seth Meyers that continues making her look adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kolt1ayThP4

She talks about how awkward her first meeting with Kevin Feige was, hiding the fact she got the part from her friends for ages and arguing anonymously with strangers on Reddit about Marvel stuff while being unable to really go in on it because she has some knowledge of upcoming stuff. Oh, and the fact she cut a stop motion video of her toys after getting the part to send to Kevin Feige; who changed the titles for Ms. Marvel because he liked it :3:
God, I can only imagine what her audition was like. I can just see the producers' faces as they realize that this girl is apparently literally Kamala already and they just need to hand her a mask. So the 4th wall breaks are going to be an actual part of her character? Okay, neat.

It's a cliche response, but... I really want her to cameo in Deadpool 3 now, just to see how Wade reacts to someone who can validate his lunacy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fun Ghost Rider reference in the new She-Hulk feature.

I doubt that is going anywhere, but when Wong is in the theater, the poster for the act says "Johnny Blaze" and has a man on fire.

The weird bat things from Shang-Chi also seem to be a part of the story? Even, though I thought they were all dead/sealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I hadn't thought about it but all the shows either have duos (Wandavision, FAWS, Loki, Hawkeye, Moon Knight) or prominent best friends (Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk).