Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Ting mobile or Consumer Cellular?
Consumer Cellular is pretty explicitly For Old People so idk if their plans would meet your needs but if you ever need support you will be waiting behind a dozen grandm/pas who need someone to tell them where the email button went. And I've noticed their kiosks inside Target are barely staffed anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Soul Glo posted:

I came to my senses and canceled my Pixel 6a preorder. The trade-in offer is insane value but I know that I’d use it for a month and go back to my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

The Pixel 4a getting another year of security updates means I can at least dick around on it when I am jonesing for an Android hit.

My FOMO won out, and after seeing that I could just resell the Pixel Buds for $75, I re-preordered. :lol:

Case came in today, it’s… fine. It’s a Spigen Liquid Air. Midnight Green looks nice tho.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

topenga posted:

Had Ting for a while because at the time, minimal minutes and data were being used. Then I realized Mint was a much better deal. I paid upfront for a year I think at $15/mo for 3GB of data.
With Ting it was a pay as you go for data (which again, was fine at the time until more data was being used) and it was already up to $22 before the month was out (so says one of my old emails).
3GB is more than enough for this particular phone and it's not even using 1GB a month. Have had zero problems with Mint using a Moto g4 (that is starting to show it's age).

wow you guys get absolutely shafted on phone plans. I just signed up for a $20AU ($14US) plan with no contract that gives me 30GB data per month

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Alan_Shore posted:

Recently went on holiday with THE LADS and they both have the latest iPhone. I love my Fold 3 and would never switch to an iPhone, but those cameras are incredible. They're so fast, look amazing, and they even tell you what flowers or animals you're looking at, which I don't think Android has (I wish it did).

Google lens does this FYI

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Not sure if this should go here or elsewhere in tech support, but the issue is with my phone so here we go.

A couple of months ago my Pixel 4a just stopped working well with my wireless router. It's one of those Verizon FiOS standard boxes. My phone would connect but wouldn't download anything at more than glacial speed, but none of my other devices were affected. I figure it's an aging phone and the issue will resolve when I upgrade.

Skip to now, my 4a breaks down so I buy an unlocked Pixel 6 (T-Mobile customer). I connect to the wifi and...same issue. It's like a carbon copy, which maybe makes sense since I imported my 4a's data? It'll download updates overnight but twitter, MLB app, no dice. Have tried resetting the router to no effect, and it happens whether I'm across the house or sitting next to the router.

I'm perplexed. Does anyone have thoughts on what could be causing this issue? If there's a better thread for this kind of troubleshooting please let me know.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does your phone have custom DNS set?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

deong posted:

Anyone know how long the 6a deal is running for? Was there an end date?
I'm trying to NOT update my 4a (spare phone) but also they'd give me $300 trade in + headphones. The deal is hard to pass up and i need to know how long i need to hold out for.

Andorid vs iOS is really down to feel. Most features are compliant minus the apple universe of devices which you don't care about. The os's feel pretty different, and you learn to love one or the other. I'm all in on android, but i also have an ipad. I loving hate iOS but android doesn't really have an ipad killer. Its fine and it does all the things.
I'd suggest to hit up best buy / verizon and get hands on with android. Stick to flagship devices and it'll be fine. Samsung or Pixel.

Just to add to this, because I'm in the same situation as having an android phone and an iPad, is that although there are a couple of cool features you miss out on (like handing off apps between the two, copy and paste between the two, imessage etc), basically every non-apple app will have its own workaround (like logins for individual apps letting you sync), and a lot of the google apps like calendar have iPad widgets. So having the whole ecosystem mismatch is totally doable, even though you do end up being constantly aware of certain things not bridging the gap.

edit: that said, there's a pixel tablet on the way, and maybe that'll do something amazing with the android ecoystem or its general quality/performance that'll make it worth getting over an iPad?

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 27, 2022

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Does your phone have custom DNS set?

It does not currently use a custom DNS set.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I would forget the network you’re connected to and rejoin it. Maybe even reset all network settings.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

shirts and skins posted:

Not sure if this should go here or elsewhere in tech support, but the issue is with my phone so here we go.

A couple of months ago my Pixel 4a just stopped working well with my wireless router. It's one of those Verizon FiOS standard boxes. My phone would connect but wouldn't download anything at more than glacial speed, but none of my other devices were affected. I figure it's an aging phone and the issue will resolve when I upgrade.

Skip to now, my 4a breaks down so I buy an unlocked Pixel 6 (T-Mobile customer). I connect to the wifi and...same issue. It's like a carbon copy, which maybe makes sense since I imported my 4a's data? It'll download updates overnight but twitter, MLB app, no dice. Have tried resetting the router to no effect, and it happens whether I'm across the house or sitting next to the router.

I'm perplexed. Does anyone have thoughts on what could be causing this issue? If there's a better thread for this kind of troubleshooting please let me know.

This is sort of a shot in the dark, but can you see what band your phone is connecting on (5ghz vs 2.4ghz). You can see this on the wifi settings under the connected SSID. It's possible your router has some issues with a specific radio (possibly the 5ghz one since I know most phones will prefer that over the 2.4 when available).

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

strap on revenge posted:

wow you guys get absolutely shafted on phone plans. I just signed up for a $20AU ($14US) plan with no contract that gives me 30GB data per month

It's a minimal phone plan for a person who didn't use a lot of minutes or a lot of data. It's not typical. People who aren't the youngest old man in the world would just get an unlimited plan and not worry (it's been a struggle with this person....)
But JESUS CHRIST 30GB??? The gently caress you gonna do with all that data???? That's drat sweet for $14USD! You wanna see shafted, go talk to a Canadian.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I'm grandfathered into an ancient T-Mobile plan:

- 10GB of data with rollover
- 4 lines
- $120/month

I don't plan on changing it anytime soon. :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Except that’s not a good t-mobile deal?

4 line essentials plan is $105 /month and that’s unlimited data (50gb of unthrottled data).

Unless you are getting something with that plan that you aren’t mentioning here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey guys check out this *sick* plan I'm grandfathered into:

100 anytime minutes (free nights and weekends!)
50 texts
$0.99 per MB data

Only $150 per month :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Except thats not a good t-mobile deal?

4 line essentials plan is $105 /month and thats unlimited data (50gb of unthrottled data).

Unless you are getting something with that plan that you arent mentioning here.

Seems about the same?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Three more new plan/new phone questions:

1. If I can get the trade in deal with my iPhone 6 for a "free" S21 FE, can I expect similar years of support/updates to the S22?

2. Do new Samsungs handle two separate Google email accounts? I have my personal gmail and then a Google-hosted work account, and I want to keep them entirely separate, no integration. I like how I can have my personal Gmail as the iPhone's default mail client and then run the Gmail app for my work account and there is no overlap.

3. Are any of these new Galaxies waterproof, or are there any truly waterproof cases? I get an Otter discount and I have to have shock/screen protection, but I like stuff to be as close to waterproof as possible since I'm a river biologist and have to use this for work.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 27, 2022

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Lens is built into the native camera app on Pixel devices, all you have to do is long press the live preview and it will do a Lens search. If you take a picture, there’s a Lens button on your camera roll that you can press as well.
Didn't know this. I wonder why they don't make it more obvious (lol)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FlapYoJacks posted:

Seems about the same?

You missed the autopay discount line.

$124 is before that. You have autopay turned on, it drops the bill $5 per line.

Edit: Ah, poo poo. My bad. I was looking at the page and didn’t realize they were doing a 4th line free promo right now. So yeah, same price normally.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 27, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Lens is built into the native camera app on Pixel devices, all you have to do is long press the live preview and it will do a Lens search. If you take a picture, there’s a Lens button on your camera roll that you can press as well

It's at the bottom of the pixel launcher too

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

couldcareless posted:

This is sort of a shot in the dark, but can you see what band your phone is connecting on (5ghz vs 2.4ghz). You can see this on the wifi settings under the connected SSID. It's possible your router has some issues with a specific radio (possibly the 5ghz one since I know most phones will prefer that over the 2.4 when available).

This may actually be it. My phone is connecting at 5ghz. I wonder if there is a way to force it onto the 2.4ghz band - that historically has worked better for me through walls and such.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

shirts and skins posted:

This may actually be it. My phone is connecting at 5ghz. I wonder if there is a way to force it onto the 2.4ghz band - that historically has worked better for me through walls and such.

Been while since I used Verizon’s equipment, but I know when I did use one of their routers I was able to log into it and do whatever I really wanted to. You could probably turn off the 5ghz radio.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eh, screw it - went ahead and got the 6A. I had an old iPhone 7 that I was able to get 290 for.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

bull3964 posted:

Lens is built into the native camera app on Pixel devices, all you have to do is long press the live preview and it will do a Lens search. If you take a picture, there’s a Lens button on your camera roll that you can press as well.

Lens needs working data to read a QR code which is absolute bullshit. I was at a buddy's place trying to get on his wifi because my signal was poo poo, but even though Lens could recognize the QR code no problem and drew a box around it, it would take a minute of trying to upload a photo before erroring out.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Jumped on the 6a deal getting 300 for my pixel 4a. It has started to get a bit screwy recently (android auto stopped working, super slow, had to restart apps a whole lot that always worked) so getting buds/phone upgrade for 150+ tax was a no brainer. I currently have a spigen tough armor on my phone, but i went with a caseology parallax so i'll give it a try when it gets in. I have never really had any interest in earbuds, but for free i'll give them a shot for sure.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I jumped on the 6a deal because Google revised their trade-in's from what it was a week ago, now taking 32GB iPhone 7's for $290 (lmao)

It will be interesting to see how it compares with my current daily, the 2020 iPhone SE with a battery screen demanding service.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah that's exactly what I did - couldn't say no to getting 290 bucks for a 6 year old phone. Wife doesn't have any kind of wireless earbuds either so win-win for me.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

What does Google do with the traded in phones?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Feeds them to their servers.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

owls or something posted:

What does Google do with the traded in phones?

I am dying to know this myself. What value do they see in the parts of old phones that they will pay 300 bucks for them. Is it just marketing to keep people in the android ecosystem and they are willing to take a hit to do it? Are they actually using the chips/parts for other things?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm guessing it probably has something to do with boosting their environmental sustainability metrics

Instead of doing a simple discount, they do a generous trade-in offer, so they end up with a phone they can recycle for green points

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A lot of phones they take for trade are sold as "refurbs" elsewhere. I use quotes as Google doesn't really have a refurb process and the company they have handling the trades basically just turns them on and verifies that they are factory reset and aren't tied to an account. Then they are sold to various outlets for liquidation on the secondary market.

Obviously they aren't getting what the trade value is. the difference comes out of the marketing budget.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

When I was in the ATT store yesterday, the guy helping me out said my iPhone didn't qualify for one of the trade in discounts, which I expected. He told me to go down to the used phone store "because we have a deal with them," and buy a qualifying phone for $20 and bring it in to get the trade in value. It ended up being cheaper to just pay for a new S22 over 36 months with my current plan than start a new contract with a discounted phone, but lol.

What is the go-to dongle for Galaxies so I can still use 3.5mm wired headphones?

Also, is there a good ~$30 pair of bluetooth earbuds known to pair well with an S22? I want a set of beaters that can get abused. Sound quality not super important as long as it's not complete rear end.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just use the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. Cheap, good, and available everywhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Zenfone 9 embargo lifted. (Well, I guess first impressions. Maybe not full reviews yet.)

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/28/23280728/asus-zenfone-9-screen-camera-specs-price-ois-gimbal-stabilization-video

Really nice looking device.
https://youtu.be/J_0teOgTAhQ

I really like that the back is plastic rather than glass, I would be tempted to run caseless. The stabilization on the main camera will be pretty interesting to see how pans out for low light shots, it may be a nice alternative for not having the space for a giant sensor in a smaller body. The only real thing it’s missing is wireless charging which should seem like a no brainer with a plastic back and the price point.

I think this eats the S22 for lunch. Huge battery increase, the SD8+ Gen1 is looking to be a generation above the SD8 Gen 1 that launched earlier this year. It also has a headphone jack!

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 28, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bull3964 posted:

Just use the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. Cheap, good, and available everywhere.

thanks pal

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hey, I got the Pixel Buds Pro devlivered a few minutes ago. Why did I buy them? I have no idea because I have tons of headphones.

Inital impressions:

The buds app on my Pixel 6 Pro walked me through the inital setup just fine, but when I went into the bluetooth settings afterwards, it didn’t show me the extra options. I had to forget and re-pair to fix that.

Fit is good and so far seem comfortable. Standard fiddly stuff in getting things in ears that have touch controls.

Transparency mode seems to be decent for outside sounds. My own voice still sounds a bit mechanical, but I fired up a youtube video on another device and it seemed pretty natural.

The ANC is REALLY good cutting out the background fan drone of the AC. Like, I would put them up there with my wf-1000xm4. Can’t really test other types of noise right now to see how they compare.

Sound quality I’m still deciding on. They have a nice wide soundstage for buds and they should satisfy people for bass. They could be a bit livelier in the treble. It’s notable that these don’t have the bass boost toggle in the extra settings that the other buds do. I would really have to compare side by side with my Sonys. I do think, like most Android devices, they sound better using SBC than ACC. No LDAC for these.

I am noticing right now that the left bud is draining faster than the right one which is something I thought wasn’t a thing anymore since both buds connect independently. We’ll see if it evens out as I use them.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've seen in a few places that the ANC goes beyond even the Airpods Pro / Beats Fit Pro. It looks like the Buds Pro are the new kings of the 200 dollar market, and even then, they punch above their weight pretty well, comparing to the XM4's favorably.

Seem like a pretty kickass pair of earbuds - I'd buy with confidence.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The case for the buds pro is EVER so slightly larger than the OG Buds and Buds A. It’s just a hair taller and a bit wider.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any reliable info as to when Android 13 launches? Battery life has started to suck exhaust pipes on my Pixel 6 recently for some reason and I always do a factory reset after major version updates. I know it's not really necessary anymore but I'll die on that hill.

Disappointingly, Android 12 launched in October last year so I might be in for another few months' wait.

I really wish they'd release another orange coloured Pixel. With black trim it looks great.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just do one now and hop on the beta. It's stable and the last update it got was about 3mb or something

That means it's done