Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

This really is one of the points in the anti-trans campaign when it becomes extremely and blatantly obvious that it's an astroturf by American fundies who are completely unfamiliar with stuff like British children's entertainment.
It's still amazing that she could be clueless enough to write the words 'children to be entertained by men dressed as female parodies' without stopping to think if there was any other event where children might traditionally go to see some sort of pantomime of gendered expression.

It's behind you Hadley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Actually, if you read the Beeb article about it, you'll find that that were actually protestors concerned that the story time was "sexualising their children". They held placards and banners, and two of them interrupted the performance. However, the drag performer has stated that their act is not at all sexual in nature, and he was upset by the protest.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-62305083

So many words to describe what happened without actually describing it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Widow Twankey turned all our kids gay.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

astroturf by American fundies

:agreed:

2015: Obergefell v. Hodges
2016: Anti-trans rhetoric takes a rocket to the moon

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

I also want England to sink into the sea.

Good news! Some bits of it already are doing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Widow Twankey turned all our kids gay.

Christopher Biggins worse than a mililon Savilles

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
uuuuuuh https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jul/27/anyone-for-a-smart-scarf-city-fans-all-set-for-high-tech-matchday-upgrade

quote:

a biometric sensor integrated into the fabric to monitor emotional, physiological and movement data. Using an EmotiBit bio sensor that sits discreetly on the neck, The Connected Scarf, as it has been snappily dubbed, captures the body’s bio-signals throughout a match.
It also records a range of physiological measures, including heart rate, body temperature and emotional responses, offering information on how fans feel at different moments.
this seems just a wee bit dystopian. Why would anyone want that data monitored and collected for themselves?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Some people do have a weird interest in collecting intimate data on themselves.

Personally I just let my watch track my sleep patterns so that I can find out what time I drunkenly crawled into bed the next day when I feel like poo poo and can't remember.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Personally I just let my watch track my sleep patterns so that I can find out what time I drunkenly crawled into bed the next day when I feel like poo poo and can't remember.

I use the tried and tested method of checking what time it was when I sent my partner a barely coherent message about toast, since that's usually five minutes prior to drunkenly falling into bed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a bit like

feedmegin posted:

I blame Napoleon for the idea absolutely everything must be written down.
or Tonty Blair trying to quantize the amount of birdsong in towns or the Freudian marketing weirdoes in 50s America.

Just because you can measure something doesn't mean that you should.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Keith just sacked Sam Tarry for joining the picket line, the slimy oval office.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pablo Bluth posted:

Murdering is the act of anyone murdering anyone who;
a) is white ango Saxon;
b) and voted for the conservative;
c) and was born in England;
d) and goes to Church;
e) and is a patriot who voted leave.

Liz voted Remain

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
I wonder what my Connected Scarf would have shown when Alessia Mia Teresa Russo scored that absolutely filthy backheel nutmeg goal last night.

Sorry, I meant to say: Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

Good job Keef, the people will be sure to love you for this

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Tesseraction posted:

He's shooting himself in the foot to spite his leg

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Lol he's trying to spin it as not being for joining the picket line, but for talking to the media while he was there:

quote:

A spokesperson said: "The Labour Party will always stand up for working people fighting for better pay, terms and conditions at work.

"This isn't about appearing on a picket line. Members of the frontbench sign up to collective responsibility. That includes media appearances being approved and speaking to agreed frontbench positions.

"As a government-in-waiting, any breach of collective responsibility is taken extremely seriously and for these reasons Sam Tarry has been removed from the frontbench."
well, i'm convinced.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lol at the idea of agreed front-bench position when yesterday Labour couldn't decide whether it wanted to nationalise the railways or not.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Danger - Octopus! posted:

uuuuuuh https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jul/27/anyone-for-a-smart-scarf-city-fans-all-set-for-high-tech-matchday-upgrade

this seems just a wee bit dystopian. Why would anyone want that data monitored and collected for themselves?
lmao this is a massive scam. If Fitbit / Apple / Garmin struggle to capture accurate biometric data from expensive computers pressed directly against the wrist I am more than a little dubious about this rando company achieving the same from something draped casually around the neck

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Darth Walrus posted:

This really is one of the points in the anti-trans campaign when it becomes extremely and blatantly obvious that it's an astroturf by American fundies who are completely unfamiliar with stuff like British children's entertainment.

the thing I appreciate about the astroterf campaign, is that the dominionist far-right have found previously-respectable UK figures who are so loving stupid they will actually come out and write articles saying poo poo like "If trans people arent evil then why can even I, a feminist, find much common ground with my new friends, yankee fascists, to the point we've even opened up lobbying groups together???". They had to be told that they can't just come out and say it, and now they're saying things like "as feminists, we are attempting to buy off politicians in a long campaign to eradicate the public existence of a protected category of people, because our opinions are too unpopular and barbaric to ever be implementable by democratic means" because, again, they just do not understand you aren't supposed to say that bit on a livestream.

pretty sure I've seen guardian journalists (before being told to just ignore it) defend themselves from Hands Across The Aisle's direct collaboration with their parent group, anti-abortion megalobby ADF international, by trying to argue that guilt by association isn't fair lol.

Of course the major problem is that UK politicians and media figures are very, very cheap to buy when compared to American politicians who'll openly tell their lobbyists that 2m buys a speech, not a policy. So ADF can get massive returns for a relatively small declared budget, though the EPF talk about $700m in ten years across the entire continent, with some sharp year on year increases

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Starmer is so good at his job. You'd think it was impossible to prevent Labour from gaining ground during the Conservative clown show going on, but he's doing it with one hand behind his back (it's holding a bottle because he's a bloated alcoholic, you see).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1552331136336121857?t=R6V4Tlf_cvUEeZMe_E1BvQ&s=19

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Its truly amazing how much Kieth constantly fucks up not just from a having terrible policies standpoint but also from a purely cynical standpoint of being a terrible political operator.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1552341176249991170?t=kujrbgq7IH6CRElgTOqjbw&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if Starmer will fold and offer to reverse the decision.

On one hand the Labour right will hate it, but on the other it makes him look even more like a useless sack of wet eggs, so it's a strong possibility.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
At what point does Starmer get booted. Can't effortlessly walk into government by being boring as gently caress in comparison to the other side when you insist on going out of your way to jump on every rake you see with both feet. And then go back and jump on it again when you reverse your position an hour later

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tesseraction posted:

Lmao of course, 10/10 politics. Surely there comes a point even the centrists have to concede this guy is worse than corbyn

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Trade union party when

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

the sex ghost posted:

At what point does Starmer get booted. Can't effortlessly walk into government by being boring as gently caress in comparison to the other side when you insist on going out of your way to jump on every rake you see with both feet. And then go back and jump on it again when you reverse your position an hour later

His job isn’t to get into government, it’s to solidify that anything left of thatcher is heresy

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't think he'll fold, I think the prevailing wisdom internally will be "even if the unions disaffiliate and we alienate certain sections of society and our party, thats absolutely fine because they'll vote for us next time because they have nowhere else to go".

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

If/When he loses the GE or about halfway through his first term if he wins

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Sitting high and mighty in Northern Ireland looking at the ratarse of the political world aka Westminster.

Truly this is a time to be alive.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gorn Myson posted:

I don't think he'll fold, I think the prevailing wisdom internally will be "even if the unions disaffiliate and we alienate certain sections of society and our party, thats absolutely fine because they'll vote for us next time because they have nowhere else to go".

We desperately need an new radical left party willing to do whatever it takes to win

E: though I wonder if even with that, plenty of people would still be so alienated by politics as a whole that they'd just not engage at all

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Uhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/OilSheppard/status/1552304860510539778

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

the sex ghost posted:

Never. He's doing his job flawlessly.

The Corbyn years demonstrated that those with any actual power within the machinery of the Labour party don't care at all about actually winning power, as long as their neoliberal values are upheld.

Keith's keeping the left out, and that's plenty enough. Doesn't matter if he loses seats, bankrupts the party, he's not upsetting the apple cart.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Makes you wonder what would happen if we just had mass refusals to pay

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

There's a mass non-payment movement starting with the aim to use that as a threat.

If we can get a million onboard to cancel direct debits even just for a month that's a pretty big stick to swing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

^ aha there it is

ThomasPaine posted:

the Money Saving Expert guy has actually said people should do this

Novara had a segment on it and the name of the campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6q4No0Ltm4

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Sitting high and mighty in Northern Ireland looking at the ratarse of the political world aka Westminster.

Truly this is a time to be alive.

We are truly living in weird times here; like having SF having a chance (no idea of %) of being leaders both North & South. :confused: :stare:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wuwuruurgh no joining puckut lines!!!!!!!!! only sunsubul poluhtushuns allowed in sunsuble keith pawtughUUUuUuUuugghhghgh :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 4, 2005

I've seen comments that refusal to pay will simply result in your smart meter being remotely switched to pre-pay.