Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Opopanax posted:

I read Dawn and Powers of X and nothing since, if I want to catch up on X-men what should I read?

Somebody else should chime in, I haven't read it myself, have collected it, but giving a preliminary answer since I'm posting anyway: First up, there's the line of books from that time they call Dawn of X.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_of_X

You'd want Hickman's X-Men series, and sounds like you'd also wanna try stuff like Marauders, New Mutants, Giant Size X-Men, maybe Excalibur, Hellions and more if they catch your fancy. There's this big X of Swords crossover after, then some other eras called Reign of X and Destiny of X. The hot books right now are X-Men by Duggan, Immortal X-Men, and X-Men Red I hear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_of_X
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_of_X

My question, looking into trying just a few earlier classic or representative issues of older Marvel comics at the moment. 60s-80s, but not whole runs. For example, I'm currently reading a few Lee/Kirby/Ditko Spider-Man and FF issues, some Romita, etc.

For Doctor Strange, any good few issues that might sum up some of the appeal of his comic from the 60s-80s to throw on the pile?

And ditto for Spider-Man, any fun key issues prior to Stern coming on? Aside from say the first 12 and Death of Gwen Stacy?

I tend to like the style of the writing and art better the closer it gets to the late 70s, and I like the vibe of early 70s stuff over the 60s stuff, but it's fun to sample 60s too. And if anybody has recommendations for a few standout issues of any Marvel book, I'm curious to try that. And ditto for 70s and pre-crisis 80s Superman and Wonder Woman if you happen to have favs there.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Heavy Metal posted:

Somebody else should chime in, I haven't read it myself, have collected it, but giving a preliminary answer since I'm posting anyway: First up, there's the line of books from that time they call Dawn of X.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_of_X

You'd want Hickman's X-Men series, and sounds like you'd also wanna try stuff like Marauders, New Mutants, Giant Size X-Men, maybe Excalibur, Hellions and more if they catch your fancy. There's this big X of Swords crossover after, then some other eras called Reign of X and Destiny of X. The hot books right now are X-Men by Duggan, Immortal X-Men, and X-Men Red I hear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_of_X
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_of_X

My question, looking into trying just a few earlier classic or representative issues of older Marvel comics at the moment. 60s-80s, but not whole runs. For example, I'm currently reading a few Lee/Kirby/Ditko Spider-Man and FF issues, some Romita, etc.

For Doctor Strange, any good few issues that might sum up some of the appeal of his comic from the 60s-80s to throw on the pile?

And ditto for Spider-Man, any fun key issues prior to Stern coming on? Aside from say the first 12 and Death of Gwen Stacy?

I tend to like the style of the writing and art better the closer it gets to the late 70s, and I like the vibe of early 70s stuff over the 60s stuff, but it's fun to sample 60s too. And if anybody has recommendations for a few standout issues of any Marvel book, I'm curious to try that. And ditto for 70s and pre-crisis 80s Superman and Wonder Woman if you happen to have favs there.

I’ve been doing the Marvel CMRO thing for about four or five years, this is very much my poo poo. I’m up to about 75/76, so my suggestions are between FF 1 to then.

Dr Strange I highly recommend the Ditko run. You can start at like 125 and then just go til he leaves the book. I’d probably drop at that point, even though I really liked Marie Severin’s short stint. Come back for the Englehart run in Marvel Premiere, starting with #9. The 1974 Dr Strange series is real good too.

For Spider-Man the whole thing is pretty good until about the death of Gwen Stacy (ok the last year or two before that isn’t quite as good but it’s still better than most contemporary books). If you want to pick and choose, from Ditko the strongest stuff is the Annual #1 and then issues 31-35.

Romita Jr comes onto the book with a bang. All of his run is good. The real top notch stuff is the run up to issue 100 though - starts somewhere around 90 for me.

Other runs from back then I highly recommend:

- Englehart’s Captain America does one of my favorite retcons of all time
- Kirby / Lee Thor Tales of Asgard backups loving slap. They’re basically all good.
- Thor in general is really good. I’d start at around 126 and just go until you get sick of it.
- Steranko was a wizard and so far beyond his peers. His run on Nick Fury / The Shield is incredible and must read.
- I really like weird Daredevil. My favorite early DD issues were 47 and 51
- Black Panther with McGregor and Graham, starts in Jungle Action 6. Takes a minute to get going but it’s a dozen issues and just a great read.
- Jim Starlin books where he gets to be a cartoonist are, at minimum, very good. In particular his Warlock run is worth reading. So is his Captain Marvel (around issue 28-whenever it ends).
- If you’re going to read early Avengers, I found it pretty pedestrian until Englehart takes the book. He goes to some weird places. He brings Mantis with him, but otherwise it’s good. Early 130s was the peak for me.
- I really like Herb Trimpe’s run on Incredible Hulk but it never quite passes into the must read category for me, other than around issue 185. The backstory kind of helps there though. They do weird poo poo with the Hulk in the 70s.
- Roy Thomas isn’t a great comics writer except in two areas: fanfic of his favorite golden age heroes, and Conan. Marvel’s early Conan books are must read, the best thing they put out in any given month.
- The late X-Men books (60, 61) were actually good. That series got cancelled at the worst time.
- Read the second story in Chamber of Darkness #1. It is so hosed.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jordan7hm posted:

I’ve been doing the Marvel CMRO thing for about four or five years, this is very much my poo poo. I’m up to about 75/76, so my suggestions are between FF 1 to then.

That's awesome, thanks, and that's a lotta comics! Cool to see somebody digging this stuff. And Conan rules for sure, so much good stuff in several eras. Barry Windsor-Smith and Neal Adams seems to me kind of ushered in comics looking awesome around that time. Simplifying history a bit, but their influence and popularity led to comics being extra cool I think.

For that era I mostly just dig reading a few issues here and there. Like I opted to read Conan the Barbarian 5-6, 17-18 for example to get a taste, and some Savage Sword. And read blogs to get a bit of an idea of the run. It's cool to see people really digging into that cool era of comics for sure though.

For a long run, I've been chipping away at Chris Claremont X-Men run for a few years. Always good stuff.

I'm aiming to read 200 or 300 comics this year, slow start, I've read about 20. So maybe say 20 to 30 more issues total for my current interest in misc retro Marvel, spreading it around a bit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s a sensible way to do it. I’ve read so many comics I dislike. I’m stuck in a Doug Moench part of the order and I just hate it hate it hate it. Or the early Gerber books where he wrote in second person (this was a common terrible writer trope that I think all new writers tried in the 70s. Even Claremont).

But if I hadn’t gone through it like this I would have missed stuff like Stan Lee’s bizarre daredevil plots. Or some of the crazy Gerber universe stories.

So mixed bag I guess.

My original goal was to make it to Giant Size X-Men. Now it’s to get to the 80s I guess.

e: what I find most interesting is seeing how the art changes over time, and I guess the writing too. The writing gets a lot worse before it gets better after Stan leaves. The art never really misses a beat. There are always jobbers and bad books, but guys like Trimpe, John Buscema, Romita, really do a good job of keeping the quality pretty high across the board.

Tracing the “cartoonists” across Marvel is also really curious. Ditko was the first, but Steranko was basically given free reign from the second or third issue he did. Jim Starlin was similar. Not a lot of artists got to do the words. I’m right at the point where Kirby is coming back, kind of dreading it as I haven’t heard good things about his return.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 24, 2022

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished the first Tom Taylor/Bruno Redondo Nightwing TPB, and it was outstanding. I like Dick Grayson as a character, but never followed the solo Nightwing book before. (I liked the era when he was acting as Batman, in Snyder's Black Mirror and then working as a mentor and big brother for Damian as Robin.)

But I recommend this book so highly to anyone who likes great, street-level superheroics. Not being overly familiar with any other Nightwing runs, it reminded me strongly of some of the better Daredevil comics I've read (specifically Mark Waid's mostly upbeat run) and the acclaimed Matt Fraction/David Aja Hawkeye series. Redondo is a master of his craft -- great layouts, dynamic action sequences, and brilliant, memorable covers with a terrific sense of design. His artwork reminded me a lot of Aja's, without looking like it on a surface level. Taylor writes Dick with so much empathy, heart, and humor. He might have been Bruce Wayne's oldest protege and son, but he didn't pick up any of Bruce's worst traits along the way.

I also cried while reading it... TWICE! Just teared up from sweet, happy, heartfelt moments. That is pretty rare when a comic hits me that way. I read the TPB through my public library's Hoopla e-book service, but I liked it enough to possibly buy a hard copy for myself, along with the following volumes as they come out. This and Far Sector are the best DC books I've read in a LONG TIME (but I have been trade-waiting on Human Target and Blue and Gold).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 6, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just rewatched Dredd and have been in a big cyberpunk mood lately. What's the best of 2000 AD and what's the best way to get into it?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

feedmyleg posted:

Just rewatched Dredd and have been in a big cyberpunk mood lately. What's the best of 2000 AD and what's the best way to get into it?

John Wagner's work on Judge Dredd, co-created it with Carlos Ezquerra, and he still writes it today too.

I'd say pick up Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files vol 2, it's where it gets really good in the late 70s. Has the two notable early epics The Cursed Earth and The Day the Law Died, plus shorts like Punks Rule with Brian (Killing Joke) Bolland doing art.

There are many longer nuanced takes on Dredd stuff to read we've posted in that Judge Dredd thread on here too. Pretty much, I'd say depends on your taste for different eras of comics, and how much you'd like to skip around. Some other highlights are the painted full color stuff around 1990 where it got that more modern tone. America by John Wagner, and I love Necropolis in Case Files 14. You'd also want to see the first two Judge Death stories, collected in various Case Files and in the book Death Lives by Wagner.

Another cool 2000AD tale is ABC Warriors: The Black Hole by Pat Mills and Simon Bisley. Very cool robo warriors with issues on a mission story. Button Man by John Wagner is another cool one. If you dig digital they have a great DRM free digital 2000AD shop, and nice paperback collections. Welcome aboard!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm currently re re re watching Avatar the Last Airbender because it is all kinds of awesome. I know there are comics that follow the characters after the show ends but never read them. Are they worth picking up? Is the quality from the show carried over into the comics or are they more fan fictiony?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I'm currently re re re watching Avatar the Last Airbender because it is all kinds of awesome. I know there are comics that follow the characters after the show ends but never read them. Are they worth picking up? Is the quality from the show carried over into the comics or are they more fan fictiony?

I read a few, they're pretty good and close in tone to the cartoon. Not something I'd recommend to people who don't care about the show, but definitely something anyone who wants more Avatar and likes comics should check out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

They are in line with the show and pretty good. One of them actually deals with Zuko's mother so if you ever wondered about that it's in there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is there a reading order? I looked at my library holdings and there seems to be a lot of mini series so I assume it's self contained storylines.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Is there a reading order? I looked at my library holdings and there seems to be a lot of mini series so I assume it's self contained storylines.

The Promise
The Search
The Rift
Smoke and Shadow
North and South
Imbalance

Those are the main ones. There's some anthology stuff too, but that's the main order of what's there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

John Wagner's work on Judge Dredd, co-created it with Carlos Ezquerra, and he still writes it today too.

I'd say pick up Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files vol 2, it's where it gets really good in the late 70s. Has the two notable early epics The Cursed Earth and The Day the Law Died, plus shorts like Punks Rule with Brian (Killing Joke) Bolland doing art.

There are many longer nuanced takes on Dredd stuff to read we've posted in that Judge Dredd thread on here too. Pretty much, I'd say depends on your taste for different eras of comics, and how much you'd like to skip around. Some other highlights are the painted full color stuff around 1990 where it got that more modern tone. America by John Wagner, and I love Necropolis in Case Files 14. You'd also want to see the first two Judge Death stories, collected in various Case Files and in the book Death Lives by Wagner.

Another cool 2000AD tale is ABC Warriors: The Black Hole by Pat Mills and Simon Bisley. Very cool robo warriors with issues on a mission story. Button Man by John Wagner is another cool one. If you dig digital they have a great DRM free digital 2000AD shop, and nice paperback collections. Welcome aboard!

Awesome, ordered a few of the Complete Case Files volumes as a start, then I'll take it from there. Appreciate it!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I appreciate Spider-Man. I really like punk rock. What do I need to read for the Punk Rock Spider-Man I've seen pictures of? My searching only showed me a video game costume, not comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
spider-verse
edge of spider-geddon
spider-geddon
spider-punk mini

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Thanks! :spidey:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
A friend of mine just found out that a relative of his has cancer and I wanted to send him some life affirming/uplifting graphic novels. He likes graphic novels in general and I was thinking of sending him Daytripper but then thought "maybe not something to do with death". Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

A friend of mine just found out that a relative of his has cancer and I wanted to send him some life affirming/uplifting graphic novels. He likes graphic novels in general and I was thinking of sending him Daytripper but then thought "maybe not something to do with death". Any recommendations would be appreciated.

A little more guidance than "likes graphic novels in general, something not about death" would be helpful, but Giant Days and Sex Criminals are pretty fun comics that are different spectrums of content. If they like super-hero poo poo I'd go with Daredevil: Born Again for something that gets dark but is ultimately affirming or Spider-Man and the X-Men for some just really good and pretty goofy super heroics. Persepolis maybe?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
He likes superhero stuff but reads a whole of other stuff. I was thinking more like a specific story arc from a superhero comic or a non superhero graphic novel with a happy/meaningful ending. I was also thinking of sending in some trades that would be something like a "blockbuster movie" just to provide a small distraction

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

All Star Superman

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Squirrel Girl

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

All Star Superman

While this is a great book, I'd recommend the OP review the ending before deciding whether or not they want to give it their friend

My two super-hero recs were self contained stories. Other self contained things that are fun, Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. Alan Moore's run on Supreme, Morrison's Marvel Boy

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
He already has All-Star and I did give him a copy of Nextwave for a birthday present ages ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm copying this post I made from the Marvel thread because Marvel Boy just happened to come up there right after I mentioned it here and I was confused about which thread I was in.

Gripweed posted:

I read Marvel Boy. The miniseries itself isn’t amazing because it’s all set up, but I love what it set up. A hero who genuinely doesn’t like humanity but is going to save us because it’s his job, and his definition of saving us may be broader than we would like. And his girlfriend/sidekick is a former supervillain. As in she stopped being a supervillain five minutes ago during an argument with her dad. That’s great! Where can I read the continuation of Marvel Boy’s story?

You can't really. What that sets up isn't seriously followed up on. Noh-Varr shows up in Bendis' Dark Avengers, and some of his other Avengers stuff, but I don't particularily like him in that.

But you did remind of probably the best book with Noh-Varr in it that's also a good recommendation in terms of stand-alone action comics. Young Avengers volume 2 by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Other than Chip Zdarsky's various Spider-Man stories, is there any exceptionally good Spider-Man from the past 5 years or so I need to read?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's a bit older than 5 years, but Spider-Man and the X-Men is excellent.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Just binged a few Junji Ito Graphic Novels. This stuff was all fairly under the radar and either poorly translated or not translated at all when it was coming out so I've got so much catching up to do.
I'm such a big fan of Ito's work I'm trying to get as much of his material I can find in english. I'm pretty sure I can get half of his stuff in a single tomb according to wikipedia.

The stories I've read so far by Ito are Remina, Army of One and The Enigma of Amigara Fault. It's by a different author I've also read the series Parasyte.
As far as western comics go I've read both The Watchmen and the entire Sin City series.
Everything mentioned I enjoyed very much, most of them were in a single sitting. By way of faulty memory I'm probably leaving stuff out.
I heavily appreciate good art and a novel style in graphic novels. Content wise I love me gritty, dark material that holds no punches while not getting too pretentious/preachy or trying too hard to be "deep". Considering I put The Watchmen in there I make exceptions.
I definitely lean towards the more mature side, for now. Does my comprehensive taste profile ring recommendation bells to anyone reading this post?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Random stuff I think you would like:
Basically anything Ed Brubaker writes (but especially / mostly his indie work)
Ed Piskor's Red Room series
Darwin Cooke's Parker series
100 bullets

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
seconding the Brubaker recommendation

e: vvv seconding the Stray Bullets recommendation (anything by the Laphams is good imo)

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 28, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Stray Bullets?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of Ed Brubaker, I'm reading his run on Catwoman and really enjoying it. One of my favourite dynamics was the relationship between Slam Brady and Selina. Turn out I'm a sucker for their ex cop and ex con start as rivals/enemies but end up working together and develop feelings. Unfortunately my understanding is that pretty much never comes up again after Brubaker leaves.

Since Brubaker has wrote a lot of books, can anyone point me to a series of his that has a similar sort of dynamic? Doesn't need to be a superhero book but preferably something I can get physically relatively easily.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Doing a summer reading bingo thing and I need to read a non-fiction graphic novel, any suggestions? Be great if it were on MU or the DC one but I couldn't find any

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Opopanax posted:

Doing a summer reading bingo thing and I need to read a non-fiction graphic novel, any suggestions? Be great if it were on MU or the DC one but I couldn't find any

Off the top of my head there is Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis or Raid Sattouf's Arab of the Future, both about the authors growing up in a Middle-Eastern country during the late 20th century.

If you want something about a lighter subject I recently read Pinball: A Graphic History of the Silver Ball by John Chad, which is, as the title suggests, a history of pinball.

I kinda doubt your going to find any non-fiction graphic novels through DC or Marvel's services (I could be wrong however). You might want to try your local library, both their physical and digital collections. I know I can get a variety of graphic novels through Hoopla.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ooh, I have Persopolis on my shelf and haven't gotten to it yet, that'll do!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Maus, Persepolis, Fun Home, and Pedro and Me always get recommended a lot, for good reason.

This isn't in the same class as the others, but in 2020, I got back into watching pro wrestling after a 15-year break, and I really enjoyed The Comic Book Story of Professional Wrestling by Aubrey Sitterson and Chris Moreno. It filled in a lot of the history I never knew and caught me up to present times.
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/558378/the-comic-book-story-of-professional-wrestling-by-aubrey-sitterson-art-by-chris-moreno/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*starts persistent rumor that marc hempel's gregory is nonfiction*

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

March by John Lewis is loving amazing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

March by John Lewis is loving amazing.

Yeah it is! I can't believe I forgot to mention it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a whole series of "Comic History of" books. Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" is a good read ("Reinventing Comics" is good, too, but not as much). And "Mr. Boop" of course.

But yeah, Persepolis or March are both great options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Year of the Rabbit about a family surviving in Cambodia during Pol Pot's reign. The Best we Could Do about two parents trying to make their way from Vietnam to America to raise their kids. Pyongyang about a French Canadians observations of visiting the capital of North Korea. Hostage by the same french Canadian (Desielle sp?) about an NGO officer taken hostage in the Balkans and his experience. Spinning by Tillie Walden about growing up and discovering her sexuality. At Least I Survived which tells four separate stories of children who survived the Holocaust.

Edit: oh right Box Brown also did a Andy Kauffman graphic novel called Is This Guy for Real, and a graphic novel about Andre the Giant called Andre the Giant.
Derf Backderf of My Friend Dahmer fame also did a graphic novel about Kent State called Kent State: four dead in Ohio

Madkal fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 18, 2022