Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Crucible Knight and Godskin Noble input read heals so blatantly, lol

I mean sure they do, but what's wrong with that? That's just good AI scripting, they see you chug and they punish you for it like a real opponent would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spacing is your best friend there, like being out of range of their punish or behind an object. If those aren't possible, drink when they're not in a neutral stance and you should be fine as well. They aren't behaving any differently than you do when you see an NPC invader whip out their flask after all, so just do the stuff that defeats you in those scenarios

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the fact that they instantly snap into a behavior shift the exact frame the flask animation starts feels artificial and lets you see into the AI flowchart too much.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

now that i'm going through bloodborne i understand when people were going 'elden ring bosses have bloodborne speed and aggro but you're still a slow dark souls character'. bloodborne really rewards a super aggressive approach in almost all cases, which works in some elden ring fights but not others, but the bosses are almost all fast and aggro as hell, lol

kind of funny, I remember people saying the same about bosses and mobs in DS3.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I started elden ring again with a new character after a long break. Elden ring is still so good

I’m using the golden halberd from the beginning boss, early radahon soreseal let’s you use it very quickly

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Some of the input reading is serious horseshit but the flask thing was never too big a problem for me. Of all the stuff I've seen it seems like magic nerds are the ones who see the worst of it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't need to heal if they die first, Tarnished.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

the fact that they instantly snap into a behavior shift the exact frame the flask animation starts feels artificial and lets you see into the AI flowchart too much.

The only case where it really bothers me is Crucible Knights because they very much do react to it with inhuman speed and efficiency. Eventually you learn to work around it but it does sort of lead to you consciously gaming the AI.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

As frustrating as crucible knights are at the start, their robotic behavior is at least very consistent. Eventually they become entirely predictable, which makes them easy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Some of the input reading is serious horseshit but the flask thing was never too big a problem for me. Of all the stuff I've seen it seems like magic nerds are the ones who see the worst of it

Oh yeah. Try to fight Malenia and watch her calmly strut about and just instantly dodge every single spell you throw and immediately charge at you for daring to cast a spell at her instead of honorably meleeing her.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"They won't stand still for my death star laser"

:negative:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

part of the reason night comet is so solid

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

part of the reason night comet is so solid

Lightning spear works with her too.

I mostly had an issue in phase2 where she becomes much more aggressive and it's impossible to get distance on her without bloodhound step. I think I could have made it work if I'd thought to add bloodhound step to my weapon art but I ended up caving and just summoning a player against her.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How do I do faith build. I have enough str and Dex to use the golden halberd do I just pump fth now? What’s good lightning fire etc? Blasphemous blade still ridiculous ?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How do I do faith build. I have enough str and Dex to use the golden halberd do I just pump fth now? What’s good lightning fire etc? Blasphemous blade still ridiculous ?

Blasphemous Blade + EB Sword or Golden Order Sword for powerstancing, giantsflame incant, golden vow, flame grant me strength, healing incantation, flame lob, giant seal, 50 Fai / 40-66 STR

That's your target.

A good STR/FAI just keep adding 1 level to each until you hit 50.

Before you're swole learn to use weapon enchantments on longswords and such.

Faith mulches everything in Liurnia and you'll level up insanely fast against those blue nerds.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 27, 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Anime Liker posted:

Blasphemous Blade + EB Sword or Golden Order Sword for powerstancing, giantsflame incant, golden vow, flame grant me strength, healing incantation, flame lob, giant seal, 50 Fai / 40-66 STR

Nice thank you :)

Need to get teleported into the volcano manor now. Second character is fun just breaking the order of everything

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Anime Liker posted:

Faith mulches everything in Liurnia and you'll level up insanely fast against those blue nerds.

On my int/faith char I honestly felt like faith mulched drat near everything in the game. Lightning Spear and Black Flame are very strong spells, and there's a bunch of other ones that own too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Once you get the sacred/red-hot whetblade you can also make any old greatsword one with good faith scaling by making it Sacred (don't do this) or Flame Art (do this instead). I powerstanced with a boring old Knight's Greatsword with Flame Art with my BB for pretty much the entire game after I got the BB and it tore poo poo up. Any of the Knight/Banished Knight/Lordsworn's Greatswords should do just fine and odds are you'll get one by freak chance before even Altus

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Midniter posted:

Ahhh, okay - so you can get both unique items with a duplicated remembrance, but not the same item in the same playthrough. Got it, thanks!

That being said - what are the best ones to spend the duplications on?

Another question - when do I go after Mohg? I have access to his palace via Varre's quest but I'm not sure where it fits in playthrough-wise. Can I just do it any time? Will taking him out break any quests or NPC sequences?

Best ones to dupe will vary a lot depending on your build. If you’re planning to do NG+, the main thing worth paying attention to is weapons you’ll want two of in NG+. For most remembrances it’s not a big deal, since there’s usually one weapon, and then a ranged weapon or spell or ash of war - so you need 3 of that remembrance total to full dial wield the weapon and get the spell. The exceptions to that rule are:

Radahn; you only need two of his remembrance because one turn in is a bow, and the other, his sword, switches to a dual wield/powerstance move set when you “two hand” it.

Godrick and Elden Beast: both have two weapons that you’ll want two of to dual wield if you want to do that. So to get 2 of all four items you MUST dupe both of these.

Other than that, duplicate the things you want both items from. If you’re playing a mage, Rennalla’s is a great pick, other than that I don’t think any of them are “I want both of these!!!!” For most builds.

As for Mohg - killing him doesn’t sequence break anything other than stopping the invasions in the blood swamp outside of his palace. So do those first if you want the OP munchkin bleed mask, and then just go after it whenever you feel ready. As others have noted, he’s endgame tier in terms of difficulty (though highly susceptible to some tactics that can make him seem easier, dependent on your build) but doesn’t have any real interaction with the actual progression path for anything else.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ginette Reno posted:

On my int/faith char I honestly felt like faith mulched drat near everything in the game. Lightning Spear and Black Flame are very strong spells, and there's a bunch of other ones that own too.

The best part of a faith build is you can moonwalk through everything except Leyndell 1&2 and Haligtree.

And the solution there is to keep your Faith stats, but switch to blackflame or giantsflame and watch the holy lords piss their pants and cry.

Unga Bunga and STR/FAI are always so ridiculously OP. Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, disregard magic and dex, hit everything with the God Bludgeon.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Anime Liker posted:

The best part of a faith build is you can moonwalk through everything except Leyndell 1&2 and Haligtree.

And the solution there is to keep your Faith stats, but switch to blackflame or giantsflame and watch the holy lords piss their pants and cry.

Unga Bunga and STR/FAI are always so ridiculously OP. Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, disregard magic and dex, hit everything with the God Bludgeon.

I foolishly played a faith based character in DS2 and was sorely disappointed in the offensive invocations there. I dunno how they are in 1 or 3 but they were pretty poo poo in 2 apart from the buffs :(. The weapon scaling stuff was fine of course and heals/buffs are still nice.

What did you think was tough for faith in Haligtree? I'm pretty sure for that I just walked around spamming Lightning Spear at everything and nothing could stand against that. It especially owns Loretta. Malenia is a different story but the level was fairly easy with faith spells.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Epic High Five posted:

I played to level 50 as mage and stopped there - borrowed my friends console while he was away on vacation and he returns tomorrow. When I get something that can run it I won't level a mage again. Not rewarding to play at all. Seems like fun at higher levels but I'd rather level as something else and respec into it then progress through the game as mage.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Doot Gauntlet and the section from prayer room to the Malenia area where the faith knights and Avatars just laugh off faith attacks was rough.

Luckily FAI included fire, which trees and humans tend to dislike a whole lot.

Giantsflame and the Inferno Crozier clown tree avatars so hard.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think playing a mage would be better if you could stick spells on any old d-pad button. There's melee builds that are as complicated to play as a pure mage but they don't feel like it because you're cycling through 1-2 things each on 4 buttons instead of 8-10 things on one. Cycle nukes at the top, normie stuff at the bottom, staff in left, and right has the buffs and utility sort of thing. Let them live on the Y+ menu too why not

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Anime Liker posted:

Doot Gauntlet and the section from prayer room to the Malenia area where the faith knights and Avatars just laugh off faith attacks was rough.

Luckily FAI included fire, which trees and humans tend to dislike a whole lot.

Giantsflame and the Inferno Crozier clown tree avatars so hard.

Yeah fire torches those avatars. I sorely miss having fire spells on my current play as being able to like four shot Erdtree Avatars with fire spells was delightful. I should probably find a fire weapon art just for them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah the biggest feels bad of casting is just that it overloads too many things to do on one button and just becomes very much a “fight with the UI more than the monsters” situation.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BB+10 and Flame Art Knights Greatsword +24 did terrible, obscene things to that putrid avatar at the Haligtree lol

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I stripped down in the sewers & got three fingered & now my maiden has left me. Anyway I can win her back?

I don't want to be the Lord of Chaos.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Palmtree Panic posted:

I stripped down in the sewers & got three fingered & now my maiden has left me. Anyway I can win her back?

There is a way but it ain't easy, and I'm not sure how well it's communicated in game. How much do you want spoiled?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I foolishly played a faith based character in DS2 and was sorely disappointed in the offensive invocations there. I dunno how they are in 1 or 3 but they were pretty poo poo in 2 apart from the buffs :(. The weapon scaling stuff was fine of course and heals/buffs are still nice.

Offensive miracles were originally very overpowered in DS2 and then were nerfed into worthlessness. 10-12 high-damage casts of lightning spear down to 3-4 which did less damage to most things than before.

they’re still mediocre as hell in DS3, costing more FP and taking longer to cast for less DPS than sorceries.

They’re very solid in DS1, and the value of healing miracles is also much higher in that game because it has the most limited healing in the series.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Epic High Five posted:

There is a way but it ain't easy, and I'm not sure how well it's communicated in game. How much do you want spoiled?

Given how obtuse most FromSoft side quests are, spoilers are ok.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Palmtree Panic posted:

I believe you'll find that you do, my liege.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I did FAI with some DEX my first playthrough and it was great. I leaned hard on black flame stuff. Black Flame itself is the star of the group, with a +25 Godslayer's Seal that DOT really eats up big boss health pools. Faith also gives you access to Lightning Spear, and Frenzied Burst is a hilariously good sniping tool. I used the winged scythe most of the playthrough, mixing in the guardian's swordspear (which I'd eventually put on flame art scaling with Flame of the Redmanes, so good). When I got to Haligtree and things were suddenly super holy resistant I began powerstancing the winged scythe with a regular scythe (flame art) and got a ton of mileage out of bleed procs, and the powerstance scythe move set is awesome. Plus all the great body buffs. drat Faith is fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wamsutta posted:

now that i'm going through bloodborne i understand when people were going 'elden ring bosses have bloodborne speed and aggro but you're still a slow dark souls character'. bloodborne really rewards a super aggressive approach in almost all cases, which works in some elden ring fights but not others, but the bosses are almost all fast and aggro as hell, lol

Sekiro is amazing but Bloodborne has my favorite video game combat ever.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
People keep recommending blackflame etc but after being a pure int character it all feels like im tickling the enemy.

I do only have 40 or so faith though so thats probably why

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

Given how obtuse most FromSoft side quests are, spoilers are ok.

You have to find the haligtree, finish millicent's quest, the last part of which is in that place, and then beat the boss at the end to get an item you then have to use in another place (the description of the item tells you where to look for the place to use it)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

You have to find the haligtree, finish millicent's quest, the last part of which is in that place, and then beat the boss at the end to get an item you then have to use in another place (the description of the item tells you where to look for the place to use it)

Using the item also puts you face to face with another deadly superboss, although you don't actually have to fight them if you don't want to (coward).

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ZeusCannon posted:

People keep recommending blackflame etc but after being a pure int character it all feels like im tickling the enemy.

I do only have 40 or so faith though so thats probably why

i don't PVP but i have read (and it makes sense) that black flame is dogshit for PVP cuz it's so slow and telegraphed. with 60 FAI and the +25 Godslayer Seal I enjoyed it on PvE a good amount

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Wamsutta posted:

i don't PVP but i have read (and it makes sense) that black flame is dogshit for PVP cuz it's so slow and telegraphed. with 60 FAI and the +25 Godslayer Seal I enjoyed it on PvE a good amount

Yeah blackflame is purely for clowning on the golden order bosses.

Morgott, Hoarah Loux, and Radagon just get Thanos snapped by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Offensive miracles were originally very overpowered in DS2 and then were nerfed into worthlessness. 10-12 high-damage casts of lightning spear down to 3-4 which did less damage to most things than before.

I don't think it was the case right at launch, but there was absolutely a period where every boss fight with summons was just 3 dudes circling the edge of the arena chucking lightning non-stop. The nerf was officially supposed to increase the damage per cast while nuking the number of casts, but they got the numbers wrong somehow and just never fixed it.