Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Woke goes broke when it convient. The amount of people thinking Lightyear underperformed because of a gay kiss was well a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I asked my dad who is a bit of a shithead and a massive Disney idiot the other day what he thought about those $5000 a weekend Star Wars hotel prices. He told me it was inevitable because Disney is trending too woke for their real audience. I asked him how being more tolerant and selling rainbow Mickey pins was affecting hotel price gouging and he just grumed and hid in his office til I left.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

theironjef posted:

I asked my dad who is a bit of a shithead and a massive Disney idiot the other day what he thought about those $5000 a weekend Star Wars hotel prices. He told me it was inevitable because Disney is trending too woke for their real audience. I asked him how being more tolerant and selling rainbow Mickey pins was affecting hotel price gouging and he just grumbled and hid in his office til I left.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Data Graham posted:

Has going woke ever led to going broke

The Dixie Chicks famously got 'cancelled' for speaking out against Bush and the war in Iraq.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

So this screenshot was tweeted a few hours ago

https://twitter.com/dinnerwithjulie/status/1552013868444004352?t=pSwrtZWhniMYW5_8YrU0Cw&s=19

And already the company has lost many huge contracts because of it, including luxury hotels in Banff National Park and high end markets in Calgary.

Their Facebook page posted a statement about how the individual responsible was fired, but people are calling their bluff because the one responsible was the owner :laffo:

Removed, what was it?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly I think modern GTA's writing feels a bit all over the place tonally. Rockstar is capable of writing heavier, more emotionally resonant stories (I think they did a great job with Arthur in RDR2 for example) but with GTA it feels like they can never quite fully commit to that because they also want it to be zany and silly, but not to the point that Saint's Row gets. I don't think it's impossible to find a middle point that works, I just don't think they've done it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dewgy posted:

Removed, what was it?

The owner of a catering company sent a homophobic screed about "degenerates" and "groomers" to a local LGBT organization that was soliciting donations for some kind of event.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Dixie Chicks famously got 'cancelled' for speaking out against Bush and the war in Iraq.

Also they got asked by Diane Sawyer what they had to say about the allegations coming from some people that they were "dumb broads". loving amazing piece of television.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If I felt like engaging with idiots on twitter I would go and ask for an example of a corporation suffering consequences from going "woke" but it would serve no earthly purpose. If people feel like convincing themselves that everybody in the world is becoming a godless communist while at the same time it would be financially ruinous to cater to godless communists, then nobody will convince them otherwise.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Since I'm playing RDR2 at the moment and it feels like the epilogue was originally going to have you playing as Sadie, as kind of a full circle thing, which IMO would be great. But instead you play as John, breaking his promise to Arthur to leave the life (he is forced into it in RDR)

Anyway. Yes. Goodbye.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

captainOrbital posted:

If I felt like engaging with idiots on twitter I would go and ask for an example of a corporation suffering consequences from going "woke" but it would serve no earthly purpose. If people feel like convincing themselves that everybody in the world is becoming a godless communist while at the same time it would be financially ruinous to cater to godless communists, then nobody will convince them otherwise.

I don't have hard numbers, but I think there was a perception that Marvel readership was a few years back during a period they were seemingly sidelining some legacy characters and boosting "woke" replacements: Thor had lost his hammer (and his first name, inexplicably) and Jane was the new Thor, Tony Stark was dead again and a new character was taking up his mantle as a female Iron Man, etc.

First of all, I haven't actually looked up the numbers so it's possible that sales weren't down at all which would make the whole thing moot, but even if it was there's a whole host of other things that could have been the reason and I seriously doubt that "wokeness" was at the heart of it. Beyond that I can't think of any examples

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Ratjaculation posted:

Since I'm playing RDR2 at the moment and it feels like the epilogue was originally going to have you playing as Sadie, as kind of a full circle thing, which IMO would be great.

My partner noticed this too, and thought the same thing!

I have maintained, since playing Bully as a kid, that a sequel could easily have a female main character. :colbert:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Read After Burning posted:

I have maintained, since playing Bully as a kid, that a sequel could easily have a female main character. :colbert:

check out this woke extremist over here

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don't know, I think it's fitting how they did it because Arthur-John-Jack does make this nice thematic chain of legacy being personally handed off to live slightly better than the person before you, with all three of them having been a part of the gang for a significant chunk of their lives. Sadie was only with the gang for a few months and while she does build a strong friendship with Arthur I don't think she really fits into that chain. It would be great to play as her, but I don't think she fits in quite the same way

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

christmas boots posted:

I don't have hard numbers, but I think there was a perception that Marvel readership was a few years back during a period they were seemingly sidelining some legacy characters and boosting "woke" replacements: Thor had lost his hammer (and his first name, inexplicably) and Jane was the new Thor, Tony Stark was dead again and a new character was taking up his mantle as a female Iron Man, etc.

First of all, I haven't actually looked up the numbers so it's possible that sales weren't down at all which would make the whole thing moot, but even if it was there's a whole host of other things that could have been the reason and I seriously doubt that "wokeness" was at the heart of it. Beyond that I can't think of any examples

A lot of anti-woke people like to point to wokeness as the reason Western superhero comics are dying, but really the rot of pretentious storytelling, gatekeeping fanbase, and complicated continuities had set in a long time ago. Manga and webcomics are more popular because they're more accessible to new readers, not because they're "not woke." If I want to get into Demon Slayer, I know I need to start with Volume One and read straight through. If I want to get into Batgirl, I'm going to have to do my research: find out what all the definitive Batgirl comics so I can read them and keep track of the rest of the DC Universe so I can properly understand why she's doing what she's doing now. I don't want to do homework! I just want to see Batgirl kick some mobsters in the nuts why is this so complicated?!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh I don’t think there is actually a definitive answer for what exactly is wrong with western comics. Outside the fact that their distribution model hasn’t changed in closing in on 40 years

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

While it could technically could be said that they “went broke” because “went woke” it’s basically the opposite of what the people saying that mean. It’s also exactly the same “cancel culture” that they complain about

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Saying "all of a sudden" when Mrs Doubtfire came out in 1993.

Also in my experience anyone that says "woke" is a massive idiot. It has been so thoroughly co-opted by right wing idiots that the word is nothing more than a catch all term for "I don't like a thing a company did so it is now the worst thing ever".

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

While it could technically could be said that they “went broke” because “went woke” it’s basically the opposite of what the people saying that mean. It’s also exactly the same “cancel culture” that they complain about

No but you see they were being UNAMERICAN and furthermore terrorist patriots 9/11 freedom

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

What the Dixie Chicks said was SO DISGUSTING....I don't care if you disagree with his policies, you RESPECT OUR PRESIDENT! [lynches effigy of Obama]

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Read After Burning posted:

What the Dixie Chicks said was SO DISGUSTING....I don't care if you disagree with his policies, you RESPECT OUR PRESIDENT! [lynches effigy of Obama]

A bunch of politically correct woke scolds cancelled a group of female country music singers who dared to exercise their first amendment rights.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh I don’t think there is actually a definitive answer for what exactly is wrong with western comics. Outside the fact that their distribution model hasn’t changed in closing in on 40 years

I mean this is pretty much what has slowly been killing the industry, along with the speculation crash in the early 90's and stores closing/Diamond being the only distribution partner that handles everything (not sure if that's changed)

Personally I stopped reading Marvel in the mid-00s when everything was either setting up a major company wide event, was a company wide event, or was dealing with the fallout of said event/setting up the next event.

Civil War did well so it became the goto model which killed all interest I had.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

joylessdivision posted:

I mean this is pretty much what has slowly been killing the industry.

Comic book sales are at an all time high. FYI

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Burning_Monk posted:

Comic book sales are at an all time high. FYI

Really? I don't disbelieve you, just shocked they beat the speculative 90s market.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Ambitious Spider posted:

Really? I don't disbelieve you, just shocked they beat the speculative 90s market.

Yep, revenue has tripled for comics in the last 10 years alone. It's now an over $2BILLION industry.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Well I haven't bought a comic book in over two decades so I don't know where these sales are coming from.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm wondering if that's including manga? But aside from that I imagine you have Marvel movies getting new generations to try comic books, and also a lot of newer comics aimed at groups other than cishet white guys that can build up pretty invested audiences

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They actually recently did end the Diamond monopoly but that was so recent that we don’t know exactly we’re it’s going to go.

Also Amazon purchased the digital comic front and I refreshed it into Amazon and that went really poorly

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Martman posted:

I'm wondering if that's including manga? But aside from that I imagine you have Marvel movies getting new generations to try comic books, and also a lot of newer comics aimed at groups other than cishet white guys that can build up pretty invested audiences

If it goes by NYT Best seller categories, no. Manga and GNs had to be spun off into a seperate category because otherwise like, the best selling Marvel/DC poo poo was like a rounding error for a while compared to Scott Pilgrim and Death Note Vol. 27.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Neito posted:

If it goes by NYT Best seller categories, no. Manga and GNs had to be spun off into a seperate category because otherwise like, the best selling Marvel/DC poo poo was like a rounding error for a while compared to Scott Pilgrim and Death Note Vol. 27.

Hahaha, so they spun it out to make Marvel and DC feel better.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

christmas boots posted:

I don't know, I think it's fitting how they did it because Arthur-John-Jack does make this nice thematic chain of legacy being personally handed off to live slightly better than the person before you, with all three of them having been a part of the gang for a significant chunk of their lives. Sadie was only with the gang for a few months and while she does build a strong friendship with Arthur I don't think she really fits into that chain. It would be great to play as her, but I don't think she fits in quite the same way

Sadie always felt like someone who would be explored more in DLC, but whether that was ever the intent (and swallowed by R*s pivot to unsatisfying but lucrative multiplayer), I have no idea

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

Sadie always felt like someone who would be explored more in DLC, but whether that was ever the intent (and swallowed by R*s pivot to unsatisfying but lucrative multiplayer), I have no idea

I'm still bummed the single player DLC was changed into multiplayer only. Not that I give a poo poo about Dr Dre or anything like that, but I still would have poked around at it, vs never touching it at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Hahaha, so they spun it out to make Marvel and DC feel better.

Most books would feel bad compared to the more popular manga. Their growth has been utterly insane and nothing can keep up with them

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think the youth comic book market (ie scholastic) greatly over shadows DC/Marvel stuff but when most people think of comics they think of DC/Marvel stuff.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Neito posted:

death note only has twelve volumes, idiot

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Why do people say "western comics" when they mean "American comics"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mx. posted:

Because there are comics not made by Americans that were not made in the East.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Same reason they say western dragons instead of American dragons even though we know they're talking about Bryan Danielsons.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Personally I've been into northern comics lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mx. posted:

Just because Judge Dredd is set in america, doesnt mean its made there.