Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Anyway the 1% vat increase is still a weird proposal because the ecb can print all of the money, and quite frankly a green new deal can be argued to fall into their prime mandate of price stability. Its certainly falls under the support of the unions general economic policies.
Actually, a lot of stuff does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

His Divine Shadow posted:

Now that would be an interesting graph.

Usage shows the same trend of strong increases in renewable energy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Where's all the other sources for comparison.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Anyway the 1% vat increase is still a weird proposal because the ecb can print all of the money, and quite frankly a green new deal can be argued to fall into their prime mandate of price stability. Its certainly falls under the support of the unions general economic policies.
Actually, a lot of stuff does.

With inflation being what it is I'm not sure that getting ecb to print more money is very feasible right now. If anything they are already far, far less aggressive than the Fed or the BoE.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Private Speech posted:

With inflation being what it is I'm not sure that getting ecb to print more money is very feasible right now. If anything they are already far, far less aggressive than the Fed or the BoE.

Its extremelly feasible, it would just depend if the powers that be think that inflation is caused by an excess of money supply,and not because of catastrophic failures in the supply chain or that most comodities markets work not based on reality and more on vibes.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
https://twitter.com/vseviov/status/1552045726196273153
Can you guys expand, provide background on this?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

(there's panic)

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Thats just the us saying shits about to get real, they are messing with their bottom line now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Blut posted:

I never said Germany got rid of fossil fuels, thats a rather odd strawman of your own creation. I said that Germany didn't, in fact, "hate getting rid of fossil fuels" and had taken major steps along the process of doing so.
I didn't say completely rid of fossil fuels. And as I've said, the graph you chose to use showed an increase in fossil fuel capacity, which I think could be credibly argued to be an indicator of "hating getting rid of fossil fuels" in an environment where where the rhetoric is centered around reducing the use.

Should've just lead with a graph showing actual primary energy use.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Blut posted:

Usage shows the same trend of strong increases in renewable energy.

This doesn't show usage numbers, only relative usage percentage, which says nothing about what you are claiming.

Germany could at some point generate 99% of their energy from renewable sources and still use more fossil fuels than they did in the past.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I believe the light blue / left axis values provide the raw TWh usage numbers?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They have actual generation data available here: https://www.agora-energiewende.de/en/service/recent-electricity-data/chart/power_generation/25.07.2022/28.07.2022/today/

Seems like it's about ~55%-60% renewable for a few hours a day when it's very sunny and reasonably windy.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

They have actual generation data available here: https://www.agora-energiewende.de/en/service/recent-electricity-data/chart/power_generation/25.07.2022/28.07.2022/today/

Seems like it's about ~55%-60% renewable for a few hours a day when it's very sunny and reasonably windy.

well in the winter you have more wind it can go up to 90% of consumption

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So.... I am surprised that this thread isn't more active.

Are we going to reach Winter with just "wash less often and remember to recycle wear moar sweaters to save gas!!!!" campaigns? And then?

From what I gather from the Austrian press, the government is just waiting to see what Germany decides, so they can coordinate.

The neutrality in the constitution might help but I'm not counting on it.

Will they finally start Zwentendorf NPP? (LOL no)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there will be significant unrest at the first bill after the first major cold front imo, if these energy prices hold

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Dawncloack posted:

Are we going to reach Winter with just "wash less often and remember to recycle wear moar sweaters to save gas!!!!" campaigns? And then?

From what I gather from the Austrian press, the government is just waiting to see what Germany decides, so they can coordinate.

So I've been trying to read up on what's been going on (I'm American) so I don't really know much about your guys' situation. But I came across this reddit thread, which seem to suggest at the top that some progress or milestone had been made about 3 months ago? Can anyone expand on that?

Also, as to the bolded above I also found this in that thread which seemed funny. Is this accurate?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dawncloack posted:

I have 6 cubic meters of firewood I made myself and I will buy two more to be sure. Not much else can be done, this is the situation europe got itself into, till take a decade to get out of it even if they started a mass nuclear rollout today.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Dawncloack posted:

And then we wait for the next spring.
Dunno if you're asking for a German-centric point of view, the Italian one is that there's no reason to think any new government we'll have in the coming months will survive this winter, much less offer any kind of help.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Any perspective is good. The Spanishone seems to be "lol gently caress Germany,here's some energy conservation window dressing".

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I saw Spanish government say the'yll force to switch lights in shops and keep temperatures in offices below 20°C.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1650485/spain-holidays-switch-lights-off-energy-saving-latest

The whole European point of view is "we can't do anything", it seems.
Here in Italy we're trying to forecast how much unemployment this winter will create.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Don't read the Express, it's garbage

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Dawncloack posted:

In Belgium we heard about Germany lowering the temperature in swimming pools to save on energy. Some politicians said that maybe we should follow that example, and perhaps lower the thermostat in all municipal buildings. The response was "if we leave our citizens in the cold, we won't have their support."

So basically we'll be doing nothing until the gas suddenly runs out and we have to cut everything to minimum, instead of gradually reducing our dependency.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Gort posted:

Why are you reading the Express, it's garbage

I do not have any idea of what reputation the Expert has. It was the first search result and I wanted to post some kind of source.

Here is another one
https://www.politico.eu/article/spain-order-temperature-limit-business-energy-saving-decree/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Char posted:

I do not have any idea of what reputation the Expert has. It was the first search result and I wanted to post some kind of source.

Fair enough but also express is the paper with a logo of a crusader knight with an English flag on his braced shield and is read by people who think that's really cool and good.

e: Used to be the most fash rag by far but they were bought by a liberal-leaning publisher few years back and so now are merely competing with Spectator and the Daily Mail for the top spot.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 5, 2022

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
The content this winter is going to be incredible.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
I'm not sure what the price projections are in other countries but in the UK some of them are suggesting average electricity&gas prices of £500 a month+ this winter. If that happens it'll have a massive negative impact on the quality of life for the bottom 80% of society.

I would hope it'll lead to enough civil unrest to force governments across Europe to implement measures to help the poorest in society cope, but...thats probably desperately optimistic.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dawncloack posted:

Any perspective is good. The Spanishone seems to be "lol gently caress Germany,here's some energy conservation window dressing". "The government is telling us to limit ac to 27 °c, lol no gently caress you Sánchez"

Ftfy

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^ yeah,p. much. The measures are the weakest sauce imaginable, but the RW media machine is in full force and with all the accumulated experience of Covid.

The content, friends. The content.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I am on 100% renewable energy according to my supplier, so only wind, solar and water energy? I guess, I never looked into it too deeply because I am dumb as a bag of bricks. But what I don't really get is that the prices for these 'clean' energy sources seem to be skyrocketing as hard as gas and coal. The sad thing is I don't know if I should try to get a new contract under these current conditions or try and wait it out, when under these current conditions I'm already living frugally. It seems very selfish but it's giving me a lot of anxiety and I feel extremely dumb for being like this.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

An insane mind posted:

I am on 100% renewable energy according to my supplier, so only wind, solar and water energy? I guess, I never looked into it too deeply because I am dumb as a bag of bricks. But what I don't really get is that the prices for these 'clean' energy sources seem to be skyrocketing as hard as gas and coal. The sad thing is I don't know if I should try to get a new contract under these current conditions or try and wait it out, when under these current conditions I'm already living frugally. It seems very selfish but it's giving me a lot of anxiety and I feel extremely dumb for being like this.

As far as I know all electricity is simply priced as electricity on the open consumer market, where it comes from has no bearing on the price at the point in the market where consumers can actually buy it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

As far as I know all electricity is simply priced as electricity on the open consumer market, where it comes from has no bearing on the price at the point in the market where consumers can actually buy it.
Electricity is basically priced according to the most expensive electricity producer that goes online to meet demand. If 99.9% is covered by renewables at 1 euro/MWh, and the remaining is covered by gas at 1,000 euro/MWh, then the price will be 1,000 euro/MWh for all of it - meaning huge profits for the producers who could make a profit at one thousandth the price. Of course if you have some sort of "renewables only" plan that adds a surcharge on top you might then pay even more, even if the renewables specifically are way cheaper.

Blut posted:

I'm not sure what the price projections are in other countries but in the UK some of them are suggesting average electricity&gas prices of £500 a month+ this winter. If that happens it'll have a massive negative impact on the quality of life for the bottom 80% of society.

I would hope it'll lead to enough civil unrest to force governments across Europe to implement measures to help the poorest in society cope, but...thats probably desperately optimistic.
I definitely expect an uptick in the number of people wanting a strongman to permanently fix their socioeconomic position the moment this really starts hitting their wallets, instead of showing solidarity with the people making a third of what they make.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe at the final hour Germany will be sensible https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1554906446386475008

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

It's disgusting how most European governments are content to let energy companies rack up record profits (which then go to fat cat shareholders) and are then basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, "maybe we'll lower taxes on your energy bill somewhat" to their populations. At least the Greens here suggested a one time surplus profit tax, but they're just one part of the ruling coalition - the rest is mostly politicians who identify with owners of swimming pools that have net monthly wages of €7K a month (because they are in that same group).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dawncloack posted:

^^^ yeah,p. much. The measures are the weakest sauce imaginable, but the RW media machine is in full force and with all the accumulated experience of Covid.

The content, friends. The content.

Yep, the whole affair has been stupid as hell and it's only going to get worse.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It's disgusting how most European governments are content to let energy companies rack up record profits (which then go to fat cat shareholders) and are then basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, "maybe we'll lower taxes on your energy bill somewhat" to their populations. At least the Greens here suggested a one time surplus profit tax, but they're just one part of the ruling coalition - the rest is mostly politicians who identify with owners of swimming pools that have net monthly wages of €7K a month (because they are in that same group).

It's also really fun to switch to green energy and then having to be dragged down by the same people who resisted green transition until RUSSIA because all electricity is priced in the same way. The free market!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It's disgusting how most European governments are content to let energy companies rack up record profits (which then go to fat cat shareholders) and are then basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, "maybe we'll lower taxes on your energy bill somewhat" to their populations.

And when they do better, fun things still happen:

https://www.ilpost.it/2022/08/05/draghi-extraprofitti-aziende-energia

In short, the Draghi government has levied a special one-time tax on the profits of energy companies, with the first payment due by July :toot:

However, only about 12% of the expected money came in, because most of the companies are betting that the decree will be judged unconstitutional or invalidated (some of their reasons aren't totally absurd, to be fair), and they figure it's better to pay late filing fees if the tax sticks than to try and get their money back if it gets annulled :eng99:

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
To be fair even the Parliamentary Budget Office report didn't seem optimistic about getting those full 10 billion, as the question of whether the tax on extra profits can be deducted from IRES, which I would translate as the italian income tax for companies, remained open. Per the report, if it were actually deductible it would put the total possible revenue from the tax at around 3 bn euros, and I think it's a fair bet that the companies expect to contest the tax in court on the grounds that it should be deductible. A far cry from the 10 bn the government was touting apparently unchallenged?

Thank god we soft couped ourselves so we could be ruled by our betters and not the previous incompetent buffoons who seemingly cannot even design their tax schemes right, no?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Spain is rising benefits tax by 5% to energy companies, but we’ll see whether it sticks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

https://twitter.com/burggrabenh/status/1554969267367559173?s=21&t=jmTNtwDV586Ft-vihOs8WQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, I get that renewables = less stable, but I'm not sure why the problems associated with an increase in gas prices should be laid at the feet of renewables. Like, would we be better off being more reliant on gas? The dude even says that coal is not a viable alternative in Germany due to low water levels.