Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

i say swears online posted:

the early 70s was the wind-down phase. In 68 there were 17000 US military deaths, by 74 there was one

isn't it worse to die or get otherwise hosed up when fewer of your friends are doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
It's the Chaco War and the only real competitors for me are like, Iran-Iraq in the swaps to the south and maybe the worst of Vietnam.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
Second congo civil war?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If you die in the Congo war you get to come back as a vengeful headless ghost tho

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
emu war

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The Hihway of Death sounds very not nice especially bc I do not like driving

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/bazaarofwar/status/1347989300718219264

reading this thread and i can't help but think of War as a Service and cryptocurrency for mercenaries

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/bazaarofwar/status/1347989300718219264

reading this thread and i can't help but think of War as a Service and cryptocurrency for mercenaries

The Pope tried this. Think he called it "salvation"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In terms of casualty rate the Eastern Front has to be one of the worst in modern history. You could narrow it down to parts of the front like being a civilian in Tribuchowce, where there were 50,000 people and the Nazis left fewer than 100 survivors.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Being a child soldier forcibly addicted to drugs probably sucks a lot of poo poo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chamale posted:

In terms of casualty rate the Eastern Front has to be one of the worst in modern history. You could narrow it down to parts of the front like being a civilian in Tribuchowce, where there were 50,000 people and the Nazis left fewer than 100 survivors.

In terms of casualty rate for members of the military, discounting units used for actual suicide missions, possibly the closest you get to a regular assignment being a death sentence was being assigned to crew a German submarine in World War II, which had something like a 75% fatality rate. And while the daily discomforts and hazards were different from those of soldiers freezing to death on the Eastern Front, before your almost certain death the weeks, months, or years spent crewing a submarine were still extremely uncomfortable and terrifying.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The WWI Italian front where they're fighting IN the mountain and you can hear them drilling to get you sounds like the kind of insanity that would make me kill myself the fastest.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Verdun was pretty poo poo too.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Being one of the cave "hospital" nurses during Okinawa sounded like a particular kind of hell.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

vyelkin posted:

In terms of casualty rate for members of the military, discounting units used for actual suicide missions, possibly the closest you get to a regular assignment being a death sentence was being assigned to crew a German submarine in World War II, which had something like a 75% fatality rate. And while the daily discomforts and hazards were different from those of soldiers freezing to death on the Eastern Front, before your almost certain death the weeks, months, or years spent crewing a submarine were still extremely uncomfortable and terrifying.

There were Luftwaffe units whose job was to shoot down US bombers by literally ramming them in midair then bailing out. They had a projected 90% fatality rate. Obviously a lot fewer of them than u boat crews.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I chose Rabaul because you could have been stuck there for years, completely cut off from home, living a very basic, almost pre-industrial existence. They had to grow their own food to survive and did better than Japanese on other islands calorie wise. However, they also never stopped being bombed and strafed, even though they eventually had no defences at all. Allied pilots used Rabaul for live fire training exercises.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

There were Luftwaffe units whose job was to shoot down US bombers by literally ramming them in midair then bailing out. They had a projected 90% fatality rate. Obviously a lot fewer of them than u boat crews.

in war thunder if I don't get the bomber on the first pass it's rammin' time. good doctrine

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Bomber crews in 1943 had an average lifespan of 11 missions.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

vyelkin posted:

i dunno how accurate it is but Das Boot definitely made being on a German sub seem like hell on earth

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

personally, i wouldn't want to die in any war.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

R. Mute posted:

Why do you hate whichever country you live in??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_of_Future_Wars

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why do you hate whichever country you live in??
i live in belgium

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

R. Mute posted:

i live in belgium

Good answer

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

StashAugustine posted:

From purely material standpoint I'd rather be on the US side than the North Vietnamese one

Also from an ethical one, as it would be much easier to kill Americans.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

In America, you volunteer for war. In Belgium, war volunteers for you!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In America, you volunteer for war. In Belgium, war volunteers for you!

Yeah but it costs an arm and a leg.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/mcmoynihan/status/1552303845048569856

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh look another Moynihan being racist quelle surprise

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

StashAugustine posted:

If you die in the Congo war you get to come back as a vengeful headless ghost tho

that son of a bitch van owen

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

R. Mute posted:

What about a communist revolution, comrade?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

my fervent belief in the eternal science would shield me from bullets

R. Mute has issued a correction as of 10:05 on Jul 28, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TayyanEl/status/1552034172335710216

:psyduck:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well it's not every day I learn of a completely insane imperial atrocity I didn't already know about.

Holy loving poo poo what in the absolute gently caress?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is next level holy wow

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That's pretty hosed up but in looking for corroboration I haven't been able to find any sources saying they actually did that and I found at least one random website that says it's a myth and that photo actually shows dummies, not real people: http://smothpubs.blogspot.com/2018/04/reggane-1960-dummies-in-desert.html. If anybody has sources other than that one tweet I would love to see them.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Orange Devil posted:

only if I get to be put on a poster/made into statues

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

vyelkin posted:

That's pretty hosed up but in looking for corroboration I haven't been able to find any sources saying they actually did that and I found at least one random website that says it's a myth and that photo actually shows dummies, not real people: http://smothpubs.blogspot.com/2018/04/reggane-1960-dummies-in-desert.html. If anybody has sources other than that one tweet I would love to see them.

If you look closely at that photo it's pretty clearly of dummies not actual people. Not that that means the story isn't true.

E) the photo in the tweet, not in the link here. Same photo but in the tweet its much higher quality.

Radical 90s Wizard has issued a correction as of 13:12 on Jul 28, 2022

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
If it were true, French right would hold a remembrance party for it every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

War and Pieces posted:

only if I get to be put on a poster/made into statues

*monkey's paw curls as you die falling into a vat of molten steel*