Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/gonadic_io/status/1550983009288994816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

No, I said "dry ice"

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Any tips for making the hand on the final level of the Forbidden Path? I don't even know where to start.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

GuavaMoment posted:

Any tips for making the hand on the final level of the Forbidden Path? I don't even know where to start.

That's the one where you build a ribcage of sorts, surrounded by meat, right? I spent a lot of time trying to be clever and e.g. start with the 2x1 bone rungs and then destroying & re-growing the other half in order to spend less time growing the meat first, but ultimately my solve was starting from bottom-middle, right above the metal, and growing the meat surrounding as fast as I can (and using the different stages of meat as indicators for which cells should become bone (based on horizontal adjacency).)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Hempuli posted:

That's the one where you build a ribcage of sorts, surrounded by meat, right?

No, it's a hand. With fingernails. The user submitted levels.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I finally finished Dungeons & Diagrams. I had to return to The Water Temple 3 times on separate days. Eventually I systematically tried all combinations of 2-3 layout options for all 5-6 monster clusters.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arms_Akimbo posted:

E: put zero on start

But that's an output on an output?

Also I guess I just have no idea how the counters work (also no, there is no sequencer available in Wine o'clock).

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 26, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Every run is independent, everything resets after you've finished one product and before you start the next one.

If you want to reset your counters in the middle of a run (which you definitely don't need to do for the wine thing), that's up to you.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

GuavaMoment posted:

No, it's a hand. With fingernails. The user submitted levels.

Ah shoot, I thought you meant the "official" initial set, not the user-submitted ones. Sorry.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Why is steed force so relaxing

WHY

I wish there was 8 paints per model though, want blue everywhere

This game though really does have the whole Amiga-style feel really down just right. I could easily see everything on this being made for that computer.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 27, 2022

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It felt really good to spend 4 days on the Sweet Heat BBQ machine, then come in fresh on the 5th day with a blank slate and make a way less complicated, way better machine in like 15 minutes. Just one router, one sensor, two big counters, 3 small counters, and some logic. I need more of these incredible machines for adults games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just want a mobile port of DnD

And more of it

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I just want a mobile port of DnD

And more of it

Yes, I love the puzzles but I can't replay old ones, and the touchscreen support was not very good. I want to make a mobile DnD app with a UI like Cell Tower and copy-paste-able levels like this:

⬜️2️⃣5️⃣3️⃣3️⃣2️⃣3️⃣3️⃣2️⃣
1️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
4️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
2️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
2️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️👑⬜️⬜️🐀⬜️
3️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
4️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️🐍⬜️⬜️
2️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
5️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I mean, the level design is the difficult bit. Implementing the rest is easy in comparison. You could play it with a pen and paper.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

hyphz posted:

I mean, the level design is the difficult bit. Implementing the rest is easy in comparison. You could play it with a pen and paper.

Dungeons & Diagrams is effectively a paper puzzle; there are some others like Nonogram (Picross is a Nonogram puzzle), Cave & Aquarium that have somewhat similar systems. If you liked DnD, you might enjoy e.g. the puzz.link database of paper puzzles (each comes with a solving tool & rules explanations so you don't need to actually draw on paper) (https://puzz.link/), or the Grandmaster Puzzles blog (https://www.gmpuzzles.com/blog/)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
The last food court level is TOUGH. But it's all done now! Envelope opened, and was a happier experience than when I opened my Exapunks envelope.

Seriously though, the last Forbidden Path user submitted level - has anyone beaten it? I have no idea how to index so many varying length fingernails off of nothing. :(

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Hempuli posted:

Dungeons & Diagrams is effectively a paper puzzle; there are some others like Nonogram (Picross is a Nonogram puzzle), Cave & Aquarium that have somewhat similar systems. If you liked DnD, you might enjoy e.g. the puzz.link database of paper puzzles (each comes with a solving tool & rules explanations so you don't need to actually draw on paper) (https://puzz.link/), or the Grandmaster Puzzles blog (https://www.gmpuzzles.com/blog/)

Those are cool to know about. But I meant to say that implementing an online version like Phssthpok suggested shouldn't be too difficult. I don't know if a rule-based solver or even generator is possible also.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Having finished all the Dungeons and Diagrams puzzles, I still don't know whether I discovered the trick to solving them, or if I basically broke the spirit of them and never learned the actual logic. I spent the first few meticulously working out where blocks could or could not go, but after a bit the logic element really got away from me. I'm pretty good at cave puzzles and picross which are clear inspirations, but I think there might have been certain logical inferences beyond the basics that just never came to me. Ultimately, I hit on the following general solution:

1. (this assumes you are working by row, but the solution works for columns) Find the row with the highest count of walls.
2. Place walls in that row until you have hit the target number, starting with the square in the row with the highest column number (as this is statistically the most likely to contain a wall)
3. Repeat until you have completed all rows, you will now have places the exact number of walls necessary to complete the puzzle, and each row and column has the right number of walls. All you have to do is move the walls to make a pattern that fits the rules
4. Begin the hunt-and-switch process. If you want to move a block in column 2 to column 3, the puzzle will still have equilibrium if you simultaneously swap another block in column 3 to column 2. Any time you see a section of the maze breaking the rules, you should look to switch walls in or out of that section to make it rules compliant. Keep switching until all rules conflicts have been resolved (some conflicts might require multiple swaps).

That turned it into something more like bejewelled mixed with a sliding tile puzzle. Fun game though, even if this wasn't the intended way.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Having finished all the Dungeons and Diagrams puzzles, I still don't know whether I discovered the trick to solving them, or if I basically broke the spirit of them and never learned the actual logic. I spent the first few meticulously working out where blocks could or could not go, but after a bit the logic element really got away from me. I'm pretty good at cave puzzles and picross which are clear inspirations, but I think there might have been certain logical inferences beyond the basics that just never came to me. Ultimately, I hit on the following general solution:

1. (this assumes you are working by row, but the solution works for columns) Find the row with the highest count of walls.
2. Place walls in that row until you have hit the target number, starting with the square in the row with the highest column number (as this is statistically the most likely to contain a wall)
3. Repeat until you have completed all rows, you will now have places the exact number of walls necessary to complete the puzzle, and each row and column has the right number of walls. All you have to do is move the walls to make a pattern that fits the rules
4. Begin the hunt-and-switch process. If you want to move a block in column 2 to column 3, the puzzle will still have equilibrium if you simultaneously swap another block in column 3 to column 2. Any time you see a section of the maze breaking the rules, you should look to switch walls in or out of that section to make it rules compliant. Keep switching until all rules conflicts have been resolved (some conflicts might require multiple swaps).

That turned it into something more like bejewelled mixed with a sliding tile puzzle. Fun game though, even if this wasn't the intended way.

This is a greater sacrilege than X'BPGH. Every fibre of my body is repulsed.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

hyphz posted:

In fact, it originally WAS a pen and paper game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/puzzles/comments/d72zg1/advanced_dungeons_and_diagrams_map_making_logic/

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Reveilled posted:

This made me ugly guffaw, I sort of love that you just said no thanks to the puzzle. Dreadful, I'm in awe.

I don't suppose anybody has any top tips for the last food court level? Like, I'm wondering if there's a trick or something, I have a 3-sequencer "solution" that always comes up a few pieces too big to actually fit on the rack.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Green Wing posted:

I don't suppose anybody has any top tips for the last food court level?

You don't have enough space to easily add control blocks for cutting up the maki, try to find a way to have all four pieces route hands off. Two cutters can do it.

You can use one big counter to use POS to enable one type of fish, and ZERO to enable the other. This is easy to initialize. Sashimi will be the only one to change the state in the middle of the run.

You can output at the very end with one big counter. You have a second stacker in your solution no doubt? #(2nd stacker stacks) + 1 - #(output stacker stacks) always equals 0. Simply by adding and subtracting SENSE stacks, plus one, you can output any order. That plus one is probably the start signal, which if you're clever isn't needed for anything else. I discovered this entirely by accident as the count I did for the first order worked for everything.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 29, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GuavaMoment posted:

You don't have enough space to easily add control blocks for cutting up the maki, try to find a way to have all four pieces route hands off. Two cutters can do it.

You can use one big counter to use POS to enable one type of fish, and ZERO to enable the other. This is easy to initialize. Sashimi will be the only one to change the state in the middle of the run.

You can output at the very end with one big counter. You have a second stacker in your solution no doubt? #(2nd stacker stacks) + 1 - #(output stacker stacks) always equals 0. Simply by adding and subtracting SENSE stacks, plus one, you can output any order. That plus one is probably the start signal, which if you're clever isn't needed for anything else. I discovered this entirely by accident as the count I did for the first order worked for everything.

These are some neat tricks. I used a scanner to figure out what type of meat to output when I realized I was running out of space for latches - which required some trickery with the sashimi, but was very satisfying to figure out. Using a counter and just changing it in the middle is a cool idea that I wished I had thought of.

And the stacker insight is really neat too, I was able to apply it to my existing solution and cut out a bunch of extraneous multimixers. Though I think it'll take a total rebuild to get the cost down significantly - unless I can ditch the 20k scanner and make it work with latches now that I've got a little more room?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

These tips really helped! I ended up using every bit of wiring real-estate I had, but this works, and decently! I feel like this could be improved, because the Nigiri and Sashimi use the same processor code, just with different dish outputs, but I didn't think of an easy way to split that output in only two wiring units...

Time: 25, Cost: $226k

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Feels like a quick optimization to use a router instead of a sorter .

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Is it possible to solve multiple-order puzzles with only one counter? Seems like I always need one to repeat the ingredients and another for the stacker at the end.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SupSuper posted:

Is it possible to solve multiple-order puzzles with only one counter? Seems like I always need one to repeat the ingredients and another for the stacker at the end.

It's possible to solve many of them with no counters at all, just sequencers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GuavaMoment posted:

I did it by racing flesh propagating from the metal with bone propagating from the top, then having the excess bone on the end die off.

Took some fiddling to get everything to come out exactly right with timing, lots of hand-shaped things where one finger was slightly off before I finally cracked it.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Jabor posted:

It's possible to solve many of them with no counters at all, just sequencers.
Sure, I was just looking for the cheapest solution.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jabor posted:

I did it by racing flesh propagating from the metal with bone propagating from the top, then having the excess bone on the end die off.

Took some fiddling to get everything to come out exactly right with timing, lots of hand-shaped things where one finger was slightly off before I finally cracked it.

That's exactly the kick in the pants I needed, thanks!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2842441418

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Jabor posted:

The ZACHTRONICS Thread: lots of hand-shaped things where one finger was slightly off

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

GuavaMoment posted:

Wow I'm dumb. I solved problem this on an earlier puzzle and forgot all about counters once I got sequencers. Start goes to +18, POS to -1, ZERO to output the final stack. If everything is timed out perfectly, this outputs on whatever cycle you want, by changing the +18 up. In this case, 18 might be the minimum, so as to get a 21 cycle solution.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just wrapped up 20th Century Food Court, and this time the melancholy hit me (probably because the fictional developer is pretty explicitly Zach). Great game, I hope he moves on to great things.

That soup bowl on the sushi level is such a cheeky little FU to people runnin out of machine space. I needed to take out a couple of routers and build a "dumber" solution to make space for the bits to run it.

Chip Wizard just isn't scratching the itch, so I think I'll be moving on the optimisation for a bit.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Fyi he's already quit teaching, had done so before the game was released, and said he can't really see how he could not go back to making games of some form.

Lol at him burning bridges in his swan song talking about how poo poo game publishers are

I liked food court obviously but you can tell that some of these are back burner ideas that never made it a full game. Chip wizard in particular is really susceptible to mind numbing brute forcing and the flesh one idk didn't click with me with that time travelling cell autonoma setup.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 1, 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Do you have a source for that? I couldn't find one about him quitting teaching already.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Do you have a source for that? I couldn't find one about him quitting teaching already.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932334&pagenumber=6#post524378995

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Kotaku posted:

With the decision made and announced, then, what comes next? For Barth, he’s hoping to work on something else, while other members of the team are likewise looking to try their hands at new challenges. “My original plan was to wrap things up at Zachtronics and then find a new job teaching high school computer science, but the timing was off,” he says. “I just finished my first year of teaching and Last Call BBS hasn’t even been released yet! I was hoping that I’d really like teaching and stay with that for a few years, but I learned that’s definitely not the case and I’m having a hard time imagining anything other than games in my future, in some shape or form.”

https://kotaku.com/zachtronics-farewell-goodbye-closing-eliza-last-call-bb-1849096767

I was glad to read that last line. Dude has neat ideas and I'm glad he'll be working on them.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Don’t know if I wanted to laugh or cry at the guy who designed such awesome programming puzzles finding out that typical pupils will never learn that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

hyphz posted:

Don’t know if I wanted to laugh or cry at the guy who designed such awesome programming puzzles finding out that typical pupils will never learn that way.

He did an interview with a podcast where he talks about it. It sounds him quitting was much more a matter how lovely the school system is than anything like that.

That whole interview is great honestly.