Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The entirety of John Wick 3 is complete filler that amounts to nothing but John turning into a huge moron and burning off all his remaining favours and get out of jail free cards only to reset his status quo to exactly where the second movie ended except him being more beat up.

A third of the movie being devoted to John going to the Mystical Emperor of Assassins in the desert to get his death mark revoked only to immediately get it back one scene after he succeeds is just dire stuff, but the worst is them setting up an actual cool sounding idea (the entire assassin city standing against the High Table) only for it to be an incredibly lame rugpull that hands victory to the worst villain in the series. It's not even the best action in the series like that chart posted wants to say, it's more of the same as best and at worst it's that embarrassing fight with the guys from The Raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

just gotta say i appreciate all the harsh criticism of the JW movies so i don't feel insane for not tripping over my own balls about how cool they are

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wtf were the Russo brothers thinking making gray man pg13

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Supposedly there is an R-rated cut and Netflix made them cut it down to PG13.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Snowman_McK posted:

it wasn't anywhere near well paced enough for that, and there was no gratuitous nudity 0/5

Oooh good point. Going back and watching old ones, the amount of shoehorned in boobs is insane.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
on topic of guys who go on killing sprees because someone offed their dog (or tried to), how's Equilibrium? I saw it on a bus but I didn't pay attention much, but one of the kills was really sick (the face lopped off one)

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 26, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It kicks rear end in the corniest way possible

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Stairmaster posted:

“Cha-Ching!”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

on topic of guys who go on killing sprees because someone offed their dog (or tried to), how's Equilibrium? I saw it on a bus but I didn't pay attention much, but one of the kills was really sick (the face lopped off one)

I didn’t want to see it at the time of release because I was offended by its Clear matrix coattail riding

It’s stupid fun.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lol unsubbing from this thread because youse don't understand john wick films. loving hell guys.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The John Wick movies are the best Vampire: the Masquerade movies we’re going to get.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Southpaugh posted:

lol unsubbing from this thread because youse don't understand john wick films. loving hell guys.

this is just an excuse to use wick_im_thinking_im_back.gif next time you post

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Southpaugh posted:

Very un-Wick-like behavior here.

Really there aren't "John Wick films". There's John Wick, which is a really solid small-scale actioner where John is shot like a stalker half the time and there's a very strong emotional core that forms John's motivations, and then there's John Wick 2 & 3, which are mid-scale actioners that have no emotional core whatsoever (a reluctant John is forced to battle for his life against a shadowy all-powerful cabal) and consist of variants of "mook shooting galleries in a nice location" or "boss fights in a nice location, preferably with mirrors".

It's honestly bumming me out we have the old "as long as the action is good they can throw any dross they like at me" poo poo because all the best action movies work hard to achieve an emotional core that drives the fighting, and this is the absolute peak best top-tier kind, and - for me anyway - Wick 2 and 3 have dropped out of that tier. For an example you can go and watch the ending fight of Donnie Yen's Flashpoint (2007 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhSsl4sErz0) which is as good as any of the hand-to-hand Wick from a technical standpoint, and you'll enjoy it. But if you watch the actual film and get to that point honestly you'll know why Yen hates the guy he's fighting and how much higher the stakes are, it's a much more exciting experience. It's very sad that when I watched John Wick 3 I didn't really care about John or "the stakes" at all, I was just waiting for them to one-up themselves on locations and technicals and choreography. There was anticipation of Mark Damascos cuttin' loose, yeah, and, to see Wick do the Quad Load for his shotgun made me learn that myself and it's a really cool party trick, but the final fight in the rain on the totally generic ship dock in John Wick had a lot more pathos and I would trade all the fun technical tricks they've added to the series for that level of emotional engagement. Instead they've trashed that for boring-rear end Pawns In the Game of Thrones poo poo that nobody could possibly care about. It's a real shame and I wish they would have worked harder to keep the series focused on John and his emotional core, even if it was cheesebag poo poo like avenging his father's death or saving his wife's sister from the mob or whatever. Anything other than these boring-rear end favor quests.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 26, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You have to keep in mind just how starved we are for John Wick-level action though. It's just not out there anywhere else, nobody is making action scenes like that. So yea I may have some of the same issues with the direction they've gone with the character and the plot but in the end I'll still happily show up for more because I'm addicted to something I can only get this one particular place.

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
edit: never mind, I'm dumb

but also RRR is cool as gently caress

rabidcowfromhell fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 26, 2022

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's honestly bumming me out we have the old "as long as the action is good they can throw any dross they like at me" poo poo because all the best action movies work hard to achieve an emotional core that drives the fighting, and this is the absolute peak best top-tier kind, and - for me anyway - Wick 2 and 3 have dropped out of that tier. For an example you can go and watch the ending fight of Donnie Yen's Flashpoint (2007 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhSsl4sErz0) which is as good as any of the hand-to-hand Wick from a technical standpoint, and you'll enjoy it. But if you watch the actual film and get to that point honestly you'll know why Yen hates the guy he's fighting and how much higher the stakes are, it's a much more exciting experience.

I've seen Flash Point and I have no idea why you'd use it as a counter example. It's really bad aside from the action (which is fantastic and probably the best of Donnie Yen's career) and the emotional core is the same trite hong kong action film melodrama everyone's been using since the 80s mixed with Dirty Harry style "criminals game the system to the point that they get released after killing police officers". Again, top tier action (there's a suplex Yen hits towards the end of the second act which is one the absolute coolest things in any martial arts film, but I would not describe it as among the best action movies, certainly not on the basis of it's emotional core. It's about on the level of Shooter in that regard, which came out in the same year. It's enough to get us from action scene to action scene, but that's it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I kind of expected Evan’s to end up being the long lost brother Gosling went to jail for protecting.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
has anyone seen the Indian kannada-language action movies kgf (and kgf part 2)? Seems like the latter is super popular in India right now, surpassing RRR in box office gross.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I remember when John Wick 3 came out, I want to one of those axe throwing brewery places. Axe throwing had just come to my part of the country and was just gaining in popularity. So my friend and I were both learned the form the to throw axes and actually land them In the target. Fun stuff.

Then we watched John Wick 3, and sure enough, in the first 10 minutes he throws an axe into a guy using the same form we were just taught! Movie rules. Also it has ninjas actually hiding in shadows.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

got some chores tonight posted:

has anyone seen the Indian kannada-language action movies kgf (and kgf part 2)? Seems like the latter is super popular in India right now, surpassing RRR in box office gross.

I've been wanting to see these. Someone put the first one on youtube (without subs). They look pretty good from the clips I've seen.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Southpaugh posted:

mafia dude: "I need you to come back and make the impossible post" (a good one)

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

dokmo posted:

I've been wanting to see these. Someone put the first one on youtube (without subs). They look pretty good from the clips I've seen.

kgf part 1 is on Amazon prime (in Hindi),

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

KGF 1 & 2 are have some good music and clearly a lot of care and effort were put into creating some really impressive practical sets, but unfortunately they are both incredibly stupid movies. And the action is cut to poo poo and not very well choreographed. They are on Amazon Prime if you want to check them out.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
How stupid do you mean by stupid, cuz yeah, i mean, RRR was...fairly stupid and silly but still awesome

Keep meaning to watch the Bāhubali movies...

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Not the fun kind of dumb. There's a bunch of exposition dumps about politics that barely matter, a bunch of set ups for cool heist poo poo that don't wind up being cool heists. Its frustrating because the premise of the movies are incredibly badass, and there are some cool scenes but the movies just can't cash in on what they set up, and the resolution to almost every problem is that the current villain becomes a drooling moron whenever they see the main character, and don't actually do anything to stop him.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
A few weeks ago, something put me in the mood to revisit the Joe Don Baker version of Walking Tall. Not without its rough spots, but it was about as enjoyable of a retribution flick as I remembered, maybe a little better. Browsing around its Letterboxd page led me to Framed, another Joe Don Baker movie, with the same director, released two years after Walking Tall. And while the first movie has a lot of non-action scenes concerning various efforts to clean up the town, once Framed has its story pieces all lined up, it cuts loose with some fantastically grimy '70s fights and stunts. There's one scene in particular (viewable here, if you don't mind some minor spoilers) which must have been insane to set up and execute, the pyros are cut so close on the stuntman. Well worth checking out if you're a fan of sweaty, gritty '70s punch-'em-ups.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Darthemed posted:

There's one scene in particular (viewable here, if you don't mind some minor spoilers) which must have been insane to set up and execute, the pyros are cut so close on the stuntman. Well worth checking out if you're a fan of sweaty, gritty '70s punch-'em-ups.

That is wild. Never heard of this, it's going on the watchlist.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

kgf part 1 is on Amazon prime (in Hindi),

Both parts are on prime in Kannada if anyone wants to watch in the original language.

https://www.amazon.com/K-G-F-Chapter-1-Kannada-Yash/dp/B08KWRRCNQ
https://www.amazon.com/K-G-F-Chapter-2-Kannada-Yash/dp/B09DLJZ8SF

I enjoyed them both well enough, but the action itself isn't especially noteworthy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darthemed posted:

A few weeks ago, something put me in the mood to revisit the Joe Don Baker version of Walking Tall. Not without its rough spots, but it was about as enjoyable of a retribution flick as I remembered, maybe a little better. Browsing around its Letterboxd page led me to Framed, another Joe Don Baker movie, with the same director, released two years after Walking Tall. And while the first movie has a lot of non-action scenes concerning various efforts to clean up the town, once Framed has its story pieces all lined up, it cuts loose with some fantastically grimy '70s fights and stunts. There's one scene in particular (viewable here, if you don't mind some minor spoilers) which must have been insane to set up and execute, the pyros are cut so close on the stuntman. Well worth checking out if you're a fan of sweaty, gritty '70s punch-'em-ups.

his legs very visibly catch fire from the train crash explosion

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Darthemed posted:

God drat. Weirdly I'd seen the train crash and near stuntman flambé completely out of context just recently, and now I have to see the rest. Joe Don shooting the guy's ear off at point-blank range was brutal. Although I did think that every time he asked Frank a question, the reply should have been "What?"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Darthemed posted:

You ever watch Rolling Thunder. loving love that dirty rear end sweaty revenge movie.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
drat also love the other clip on that channel:
https://youtu.be/7YUy2Gix70U

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Some studio exec took Scruffy_1989's phone call

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Is the slang in the first Mad max movie supposed to be dystopian future slang or just Australian slang? Not trying to make a joke, I am not very familiar with Australian slang.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Managed to finish watching The Gray Man and thought it was alright, just stupid. But, like, not any more stupid than most movies than in the action movie genre, so I don't quite get what the fuss is about.

The movie's main problem is still that the CIA is just a bunch of bad apples at the top and otherwise full of superheroes, but I thought the action was fine and we could do worse than having action movies carried by Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans. The action was mostly OK, which is probably also a mark against it with that kind of money behind it and the Russos' big mouths, but I was entertained. The Commando references during the climax were funny, but embarrassing. I laughed out loud when Ana de Armas just charged the castle all by herself. Like, just ran straight at it and shot every big gun that she picked up from a guard outpost a minute earlier, outgunning every sentry point we had just seen before… Just the world's best attack plan, it's as if the final attack on the Death Star happened immediately after we saw the Death Star for the first time, and it's just Luke's ship. In summary, at least Arnold brought his own poo poo.

The final duel though kind of lived up to the Commando spirit, which surprised me. Too bad there were another 20 minutes tacked on to that because the Russos just can't help themselves. I will maintain that The Gray Man suffers from Triple H syndrome where the movie is a 7 pushed as a 10 and therefore comes off as a 5.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Watched KGF while I was in my trip in India, it was super hyped up but I thought it was very meh. Nowhere as entertaining as RRR.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How stupid do you mean by stupid, cuz yeah, i mean, RRR was...fairly stupid and silly but still awesome

Keep meaning to watch the Bāhubali movies...

I watched Bahubhali 1 after watching RRR. It's not good imo. There is lots of story with very little action and the action is nowhere as stupid crazy as RRR. The main character is literally an reincarnation of a god warrior. I don't remember a single set piece from it. Meanwhile in RRR there is the scene with the attack on Sir Scott's mansion, the intro where the cop catches the bad guy among thousands of people, Sir Scott chase scene, the piggyback action sequence. There is way too many to name. Didn't bother watching Bahubhali 2 after the mediocre first one.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
You can see the director working out how to approach heavily CG assisted action through the Bahubhali movies. Things do get closer to RRR near the end of the second one

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ulio posted:

Watched KGF while I was in my trip in India, it was super hyped up but I thought it was very meh. Nowhere as entertaining as RRR.

I watched Bahubhali 1 after watching RRR. It's not good imo. There is lots of story with very little action and the action is nowhere as stupid crazy as RRR. The main character is literally an reincarnation of a god warrior. I don't remember a single set piece from it. Meanwhile in RRR there is the scene with the attack on Sir Scott's mansion, the intro where the cop catches the bad guy among thousands of people, Sir Scott chase scene, the piggyback action sequence. There is way too many to name. Didn't bother watching Bahubhali 2 after the mediocre first one.

Yeah, but Bahubhali does nail the structure of never going five minutes without reminding you that the main character is completely loving awesome. The movie constantly throws ridiculous problems at him and instead of 'making hard decisions' or whatever he just does something awesome and solves it. I especially liked the rejection of the villain's choice towards the end. "If you charge my line, you will kill civilians!" and the hero, like an actual hero, finds a way to not kill civilians and charge the lines. that kind of larger than life ability seems lacking in a lot of modern storytelling, certainly in the west.

Grendels Dad posted:

I will maintain that The Gray Man suffers from Triple H syndrome where the movie is a 7 pushed as a 10 and therefore comes off as a 5.

This is such a perfect way to describe it. It's not bad. Every scene, especially the action is...fine. But there's always something holding back. No scene or shot or cut is as good as it could be. I think that might be provoking a lot of the strong reaction. Even in movies that are generally just fine, there'll be some scene or shot that really stands out ("Kate" the last Netflix actioner I remember, had the dope fight in the restaurant and the brawl through the apartment) and the Gray Man is unusual for not having a single stand out shot or scene. The whole thing is trademark fine. It's left feeling like something a computer made.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Is the slang in the first Mad max movie supposed to be dystopian future slang or just Australian slang? Not trying to make a joke, I am not very familiar with Australian slang.

idk but in FR they say schlanger and i aint never heard an aussie say it but if an aussie says you eat it, can probably figure it out based on context clues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Anyone else see The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion..? I don’t know if I could really recommend it as the first three-quarters of the runtime is like some shot-for-tv twee Korean drama about a schoolgirl winning a talent show and it drags interminably but then the last half-hour goes bonkers, maybe the s-l-o-w start makes the sudden violence all the more :eyepop:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witch:_Part_1._The_Subversion

Just spotted that The Witch: Part 2. The Other One is out to watch now; anyone who watched Part 1 seen the sequel yet?