Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If I had a way to wear 80s sneakers in the 20s I would do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

I do do it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm not sure it's unknown but it is very cool: in 1847 during the Mexican-American War, some mostly irish, plus assorted other catholic immigrants, mostly german, french, and italian, to the US formed a volunteer defector battalion from the US army and fought for Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aKh160rzvQ

Cool poo poo

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
If I recall, they were fed up with the anti-Catholicism of the American troops (especially the state militias, who war crimed all over the drat place), and decided they'd rather fight *for* fellow Catholics than against.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fighting Trousers posted:

If I recall, they were fed up with the anti-Catholicism of the American troops (especially the state militias, who war crimed all over the drat place), and decided they'd rather fight *for* fellow Catholics than against.

They were also pretty abusive towards the immigrant enlistees, who were already getting the raw end of the deal.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

I cant imagine what's going through somebodys mind when you have to pull the trigger a second time, because the first time wasn't enough.
(it wasn't a bullet, that's the problem)

In a Criminology class I took a billion years ago, they covered that suicides that utilize a pistol shot to the head often fire a second round as the last electric impulse shocks the nerves. Not at all saying that's what happened, but it's one of those things that when I hear on a video or movie as evidence of murder, I cringe, because two rounds fired alone is not proof of foul play.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

In a Criminology class I took a billion years ago, they covered that suicides that utilize a pistol shot to the head often fire a second round as the last electric impulse shocks the nerves. Not at all saying that's what happened, but it's one of those things that when I hear on a video or movie as evidence of murder, I cringe, because two rounds fired alone is not proof of foul play.

I was always curious about that.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

You have the next seven years to figure out a way.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's weirdly comforting in this context.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Philippe posted:

That's a bigger feat than you'd think, because it's difficult to find fishnet nylons in that size.

I think of all hippopotamus sized stockings, fishnets might be the MOST available, no?

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

That's weirdly comforting in this context.

Two shots to the head ruled as suicide ; Panik
Poster saying the electric impulses can make the finger squeeze twice : Kalm
The gun is a single-action revolver ; Panik

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's also surprisingly common for someone to survive an attempted suicide by gunshot and then seek medical attention. It happens slightly more than 10% of the time. That's more common than a suicide by multiple shots, which implies that most people who survive the first shot change their mind about killing themselves.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've read about that too and someone in the state of mind where they will actually pull the trigger is a lot of the time not thinking clearly. They might be intoxicated, etc. and just aim poorly, or turn the gun away at the last moment.

They (meaning most people) should not have guns in the first place, suicide without a gun takes so much effort a lot of people will just change their mind instead. Same thing applies to conflicts between people, it's a lot harder to kill someone with your fists or a knife.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Wipfmetz posted:

Oh look, if an american develops a new way to quickly reduce overfilled camps of people, it's a historical fun fact.

:drat:

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
Speaking of suicidals changing their minds a little too late, there is a great documentary on the worlds number one spot to kill yourself, the Golden Gate Bridge in SF, called The Bridge

One story talks of a young guy who jumped off but immediately regretted his decision the moment his feet left the bridge, and ended up as one of the very few to actually survive the impact (at those heights, hitting the water is like hitting cement). He broke his back, both legs, hips, etc and had to try to float until the coast guard came to fish him out. Definitely makes you wonder how many other jumpers had the same feeling of regretting their decision only when it was too late but still before impact, so lots of time to think the farther you have to fall.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

Speaking of suicidals changing their minds a little too late, there is a great documentary on the worlds number one spot to kill yourself, the Golden Gate Bridge in SF, called The Bridge

One story talks of a young guy who jumped off but immediately regretted his decision the moment his feet left the bridge, and ended up as one of the very few to actually survive the impact (at those heights, hitting the water is like hitting cement). He broke his back, both legs, hips, etc and had to try to float until the coast guard came to fish him out. Definitely makes you wonder how many other jumpers had the same feeling of regretting their decision only when it was too late but still before impact, so lots of time to think the farther you have to fall.

And that also means there's a good chance that a lot of those suicides ended up drowning in horrible agony from their bodies being too broken to swim.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I mean people somehow survive falls at terminal velocity onto earth, you just can't win

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's why you gotta be smart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SqHtWudI24

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

That’s a great documentary, that guy you’re talking about’s story was amazing. As someone who’s scaled a fence in the middle of the night and walked out on the GG halfway to Marin, that water is a very long way down.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a story about someone who accidentally fell off the deck of a aircraft carrier (and survived, obviously) and they said they had time to get terrified twice all over during the drop.

E; and the bridge is much much higher.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 10:45 on Jul 31, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pfft, only twice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt7QfI4Bfm4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda getting into rough territory but apparently nearly everyone who survives a jumping suicide attempt ends up seriously regretting it on the way down, given the fall makes all the brain's horrible poo poo get pushed right back for a few moments in favour of fight or flight mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Incidentally this is also why most hardcore endurance athletes are highly anxious people.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda getting into rough territory but apparently nearly everyone who survives a jumping suicide attempt ends up seriously regretting it on the way down, given the fall makes all the brain's horrible poo poo get pushed right back for a few moments in favour of fight or flight mode.

Maybe there needs to be a "suicide simulator" service that goes through the motions of your own suicide. Secretly strap a bungee cord to your belt, or something, idk. Just use that moment of fear and regret and be like "alright, wanna try for real now or just go home?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Maybe there needs to be a "suicide simulator" service that goes through the motions of your own suicide. Secretly strap a bungee cord to your belt, or something, idk. Just use that moment of fear and regret and be like "alright, wanna try for real now or just go home?"

Or, you know, make sure people get psychiatric help.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Or possibly a rewarding existence and fulfilled life if we can manage. Afterall most of the time there really isn't anything wrong with people, they're just desperately suffering.
Ultimately psychological help should be for a wrong mind, not a wrong world

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Or, you know, make sure people get psychiatric help.

LOL!!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

No, I'm absolutely certain my idea will work better

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Or possibly a rewarding existence and fulfilled life if we can manage. Afterall most of the time there really isn't anything wrong with people, they're just desperately suffering.
Ultimately psychological help should be for a wrong mind, not a wrong world

*taps on keyboard, looks at screen*

I'm sorry, unfortunately the market says 'no'

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Chamale posted:

It's also surprisingly common for someone to survive an attempted suicide by gunshot and then seek medical attention. It happens slightly more than 10% of the time. That's more common than a suicide by multiple shots, which implies that most people who survive the first shot change their mind about killing themselves.

Drew Robinson, a San Francisco Giants baseball prospect did that after shooting himself through the eye (TW for graphic description of suicide attempt and its medical and mental aftermath). Robinson lost the eye, but was able to actually return to baseball. Since this story, he's working in their front office instead of trying to play.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Brawnfire posted:

This is a 1997 Michael Douglas movie.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

JnnyThndrs posted:

That’s a great documentary, that guy you’re talking about’s story was amazing. As someone who’s scaled a fence in the middle of the night and walked out on the GG halfway to Marin, that water is a very long way down.

Is this the guy who survived because a harbor seal kept bumping his head above the water?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, I think it was a sea lion, those fuckers are enormous close-up. I felt bad for the Coastie that pulled him from the water, he’s pulled 57 dead people and one live dude from the ocean. That’s gotta do a number on your psyche.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's one person who got drowned by a leopard seal. Getting dragged down like that is terrifying to imagine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A real fun fact.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He is however history

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's one person who got drowned by a leopard seal. Getting dragged down like that is terrifying to imagine.

For intervening in the affairs of humans and saving one of the from drowning, the council of sea lions sentenced him to take a life in exchange for the life he denied to the grim reaper. Harsh, but fair.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

For intervening in the affairs of humans and saving one of the from drowning, the council of sea lions sentenced him to take a life in exchange for the life he denied to the grim reaper. Harsh, but fair.

Shoulda gotten the approval of seals first

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Nah, I've been on a seal rescue video binge. Seals are hella stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dolphins are known for pushing stranded swimmers to shore, but they'll also sometimes push swimmers deep out into the ocean. Dolphins are assholes and like pushing people.