Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i don't know how to use photoshop but i had an idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey it was fun either way

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Happy Landfill posted:

Sorry to doublepost, but the whole thing seems pretty thoroughly debunked.

https://twitter.com/DrakeNierTweets/status/1552140153313005570?s=20&t=6PkLwaUYxV1orgCO4QI4eg

I mean, it had to be fake, the voice line was obviously from somewhere else, but the amount of effort this must have taken is pretty impressive.

Lmao that's some insane poo poo "we saw an ethernet cable therefore the PS4 must be plugged in to the internet also its not even a PS4." And can minors not have jobs? Maybe sadfutago is bagging groceries at 15 like I was.

It's fake in that it is marketing for something (Drakengard remake?) tho yeah

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

not surprising that it isn't actually an easter egg in the game but that doesn't answer the questions of "why" and "how"
I find it hard to believe some absolute prodigy of Nier Automata modding emerged out of nowhere just to pull one over on reddit

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah it's still mysterious and interesting even as a hoax.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
https://twitter.com/_reonu/status/1552081673117900800

How deep does the rabbit hole go :tinfoil:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

While we're sharing jokes from Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AvianGenesis/status/1551999946974437378

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
My only lingering question, if this is some viral marketing for nier--why on an Englosh message board and not a Japanese one?

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Happy Landfill posted:

My only lingering question, if this is some viral marketing for nier--why on an Englosh message board and not a Japanese one?

You only have one lingering question???

- Why the Canadian version?
- Why would you viral market for a 5 year old game, at all?
- If it's about the new Switch port, why is the video on the PS4? How does that make sense from a corporate standpoint? Would Nintendo actually pay an outside marketing firm for a campaign that exclusively shows Sony's console???

To me at this point I'm most sus of the possibly unreliable narrator in the form of the "modding community" who originally insisted that this was impossible. What's to say they didn't just secretly figure out how to do it, then hype up how it would be a huge deal if someone did?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Well, I guess it's not my only lingering question but it is the one that I keep going back to

Someone explains why it's highly likely it was a devkit

https://twitter.com/DrakeNierTweets/status/1552335825702211586?t=2Lerh07maEMF4OCOcopi0A&s=19

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ShimaTetsuo posted:

- Why would you viral market for a 5 year old game, at all?

Sequel! Sequel! Sequel!

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Happy Landfill posted:

it's got you talking about it, so clearly it was effective.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

It got Sith Lord Yoko to respond as well. Props to Sadfutago for that

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's also an upcoming anime so getting the game in the news again would probably be beneficial for that.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There's also an upcoming anime so getting the game in the news again would probably be beneficial for that.

Probably be better off pulling that stunt in Japanese if that were the case right?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Edmund Lava posted:

Probably be better off pulling that stunt in Japanese if that were the case right?

Nier Automata's massive success is based more on its global release results, and Yoko Taro is weird enough he'd make the viral marketing campaign english and thus "global".

The current belief I have is the Switch Version has new content which is being added into the Playstation version and the viral marketing is showing off some of that via devkit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lord_Magmar posted:

Nier Automata's massive success is based more on its global release results, and Yoko Taro is weird enough he'd make the viral marketing campaign english and thus "global".

The current belief I have is the Switch Version has new content which is being added into the Playstation version and the viral marketing is showing off some of that via devkit.

That cannot be true because that would be breaking the law (illegal)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nyoro posted:

That cannot be true because that would be breaking the law (illegal)

What is breaking the law in this case. Viral Marketing is Viral Marketing.

They're stealth showing off new stuff they developed for the Switch Version of the Game which is also going to be patched into the Playstation Version. At least that's my theory.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
With regards to the "viral marketing" theory: what would be the reasoning behind presumably spending real money on advertising a (free?) patch to a 5 year old video game which, as far as we can tell, only adds a single room in which you do nothing special except reminisce about a 12 year old game? So far, there are no real story reveals in the room, right? We already basically know about Replicant's canonical ending in the context of Automata, and what's in the room just seems to reference that (or did I miss some detail of lore?).

I can see all sorts of marketing for the Switch version, but I think new content would have to be exclusive to it for this to make sense as a campaign. If it's not exclusive and this will just appear in my existing PS4 copy for free, why spend money advertising to me? Wouldn't it have been just as cool and mysterious to silently patch it in without telling anyone, and then fans would have found it eventually on their own? What are they "showing off"?

To me, it's far more likely that this is coming from an outsider who is pretending to be dumb and intentionally building up suspense. Whether they faked the whole thing or just some of the details, I have no idea, but the viral marketing theory seems less believable to me at this point.

Yoko Taro is a weird guy but the game isn't "his" alone and he doesn't actually get to do whatever he wants with it. See his only response on the matter: Square apparently doesn't even let him comment on stuff like that.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Regardless, poo poo's interesting and a welcome distraction from

Anyway, he posted another video, this time playing as 9S and opening the chest

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheNinthHouse/comments/w9jrea/meme_another_day_another_dead_chick/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

https://twitter.com/tylercolp/status/1552509998135009280?s=20&t=MY1DzGjoftrRDKWPV1cibQ

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/wa11po/i_think_my_game_has_a_glitch_since_i_keep_going/

He beat it (and then the language changed), but he did so . . . by hacking?
What appears to be a Shade?

Does Nier play fast and loose enough with it's Lore for hacking a Shade, possibly The Shadowlord, to be a thing????

(Also I think you shared the wrong link earlier so here that one is, sleeping girl confirmed to be Yonah, or a version of her.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/w9yosf/i_played_as_9s_after_doing_missions_to_come_back/

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
On the subject of "what the gently caress is going on in this Yoko Taro thing and why can't we confirm it," anyone remember the Red Dragon glitch from the FFXIV Nier Raids?

https://twitter.com/cosmicseashanty/status/1552008240577318918?s=20&t=X519Fht7jxhlHqPp-MsqWw

It ended up being directly confirmed by the devs that this was a glitch, that only occurred under HIGHLY specific circumstances, but it has to be the most wild coincidental glitch to ever happen in gaming.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Captain France posted:

(Also I think you shared the wrong link earlier so here that one is, sleeping girl confirmed to be Yonah, or a version of her.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/w9yosf/i_played_as_9s_after_doing_missions_to_come_back/

Oh jeeze I didn't realize I copied the wrong reddit link :cripes:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
i mean fake or real you can't really blame people for buying it when the producers only reaction to all this is "Yeah this sounds like something that prick Taro would do. Anyone preorder Nier Automata for the Switch."

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I'm leaning towards this being an elaborate hoax by a genius modder, but as allegedly they got the game from eBay, I'm leaving the option open to it could also be a haunted copy of the game.

Ben Drowned

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The latest video has them talking to the bird fountain from Nier and looping when they choose the wrong answer haha

If the modding community couldn't figure out how to do this after years then it seems rather unlikely that some random genius could. But it would be genius marketing, add some minimal new content that reuses assets (ie not particularly expensive to develop) and drip it out to Reddit (which is free), get the gaming world hyped for Nier, drop the Switch release and maybe something more.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

People keep hammering “but why aren’t they doing it in Japanese if it’s viral marketing” and the obvious answer is “because English is a much more common language on the internet”

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I saw one post saying that the Japanese text for the riddle is actually slightly different than the version in Nier Replicant, by one character.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/wa3q16/the_line_in_sadfutago_video_is_a_bit_differented/

Like a typo, but not the kind of typo a Japanese developer would make. Makes me lean towards modder. Or digital ghosts.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It’s successful marketing either way because I haven’t thought about this game since I beat it 2 years ago and now I’m emotionally invested again and checking regularly on this.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's small scale enough that I could imagine it just being some random staff member's project rather than a major marketing push. Like if someone on the loc team just thought it would be a fun idea and got approval to do it.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

my bony fealty posted:

The latest video has them talking to the bird fountain from Nier and looping when they choose the wrong answer haha

That felt intentional to me, like they knew it would both be extremely frustrating to watch (which supposedly drives engagement), and it also leaves something to do in the next video so you'll keep waiting for it.

my bony fealty posted:

If the modding community couldn't figure out how to do this after years then it seems rather unlikely that some random genius could. But it would be genius marketing, add some minimal new content that reuses assets (ie not particularly expensive to develop) and drip it out to Reddit (which is free), get the gaming world hyped for Nier, drop the Switch release and maybe something more.

I feel like we are probably underestimating the kinds of resources it takes to put on any advertising campaign for a product, especially one that is a collaboration between a company of 200 people and one of over 5000. Does Yoko Taro really just walk up to a developer's cubicle and say "whip me up some bullshit" and they then directly post that to the internet, without extensive meetings between Platinum and Square, involving groups of developers, marketers, managers and execs, lawyers, etc? The point of viral marketing is to make you feel like it's small-scale and authentic, but it's not really.

With the latest videos I feel even more certain that it isn't marketing for anything because every single thing in the room seems to be recycled (the voice acting, the document in the chest, the blob and its attacks, the cup with the birds, etc). There is really nothing new in here, right?

wedgie deliverer posted:

It’s successful marketing either way because I haven’t thought about this game since I beat it 2 years ago and now I’m emotionally invested again and checking regularly on this.

Is it really successful if it doesn't get you to spend any money on it?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ShimaTetsuo posted:

Is it really successful if it doesn't get you to spend any money on it?

Prolonged engagement can be as good as money in the long run. I bet they'll sell a fair few copies because of this, especially the Switch version when it releases. And if it is actually linked to a new game or DLC it'll definitely help drive sales for that.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
the biggest clue that it's all a lie is that surely no real player would get to level 70 without using auto-loot and having to manually pick up items

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

stev posted:

Prolonged engagement can be as good as money in the long run. I bet they'll sell a fair few copies because of this, especially the Switch version when it releases. And if it is actually linked to a new game or DLC it'll definitely help drive sales for that.

Yeah it's catapulted a 5 year old game onto the front page of every major gaming website for a week now (its the top story on Kotaku atm), it would be wildly successful for a marketing campaign

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Blasted tweet got me thinking about the game again. drat you, mysterious marketing person / internet prankster / modding wizard

Seriously tho, now I just want something about the next big installment in the Drakengard/Nier continuity. I demand to pay money to feel profoundly sad

And I already have a Something Awful forums account

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
I think this story is mostly interesting to existing fans who already own the game. I know I have seen comments on here and elsewhere from people who were excited about the church even though they had never played it, but I think the number of those people that will actually purchase the game as a result is probably relatively small. Especially since the "audience participation" part doesn't currently really require having the game (i.e. there's not so far a component by which we can all do our small part of detective work by messing around in the game ourselves, a few people seem to try at first but at this point most of everything has come from the modders or from directly analyzing the videos).

The impact on the Switch version specifically is probably small because part of the narrative is the question of what specific version of the game/platform you need for this to work, and we actually have no reason to believe it will work on the new Switch version. Besides, they already have marketing for the Switch version: you can play it on the go, and it comes with a free t-shirt (lol).

I think this is a series with exceptionally passionate fans who are desperate for more content (myself included) and the new game/DLC marketing theory involves a bit of wishful thinking.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sadfutago is Yoko Taro himself, you're all blind

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I wouldn’t even care if it is just an elaborate hoax. It’s been super interesting and entertaining, which is good enough for me.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

HJE-Cobra posted:

the biggest clue that it's all a lie is that surely no real player would get to level 70 without using auto-loot and having to manually pick up items

I have seen LPers do every sidequest and still not put on that chip, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

DeafNote posted:

I have seen LPers do every sidequest and still not put on that chip, so who knows.

IIRC its easy to miss if you're not re-checking vendors for new items.