Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

From s/k: Hoshoryu for assholish in ring behaviour, Abi for actually being horrible or next basho Ichinojo for the Snorlax routine.

Not sure who else.
If Abi is horrible, so is Ryuden (for similar reasons). He'll be back in makuuchi next basho, ready for your roster of deplorables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I mean there's obviously different takes on "dipshit" here. Being a philanderer (like Ryuden) is different to being a dick in the dohyo (like Aoiyama) which is different to being a dopey sumo-himbo (Shodai)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I remember the Ryuden scandal involving him forcing his mistress to get an abortion which had thrown him even higher up on the 'gently caress this guy' list than the other suspended people.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Poo-den on that team for sure. Big thanks to whoever it was in this thread that called him "5th place in a Hakuho lookalike contest", that insult has stuck for me and I just don't like the dude.

I used to strongly dislike Chiyoshoma after he slapped Akiseyama's broken jaw, but I'm starting to soften on him.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Ryuden’s butt wobble pre-tachiai landed him firmly in the villain camp for my daughter and me. I think he has stopped doing that, though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Beeswax posted:

being a dick in the dohyo (like Aoiyama)

I haven't been paying closest attention the past year, but what?

What did Daniel Boobs do?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Oh right, Ryuden was the really bad one. I mixed him and Abi up. Abi's the regular dumbass and Ryuden is the bad human.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 28, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Hell yeah I'm somewhere between a 3-4 win wrestler. Far cry from that one basho where I made it all the way to makuuchi

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

I haven't been paying closest attention the past year, but what?

What did Daniel Boobs do?

He's just generally an ill-tempered dude. He'll often give people an extra shove after they've already lost (the polar opposite of, say, Kaisei who will almost always grab them to keep them on the dohyo) and generally come across as pretty cranky.

(I should note that I have no behind the scenes knowledge of this. It's all based on watching tournaments for a couple of years.)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah, I love how Aoiyama fights but he is absolutely a mean, too aggressive jerk some days.

Kaisei is such a sweet gentle man and I will miss him when he retires.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Biggest sweethearts in sumo:

Kaisei
Yoshikaze
Kakuryu
Chiyomaru
Aminishiki

Biggest heels (in ring):

Chiyoshoma
Aoiyama
Terunofuji

Biggest heels (out of ring):

Ryuden
Takagenji
Takanoiwa

Anything I'm forgetting?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

What got me in to sumo was the documentary Sumodo, which follows Ryuden for a big chunk of it and features his marriage as a big moment. He seemed chill and he and his wife seemed adorable together.

It was a very rough adjustment learning what a shitheel he is shortly after starting to post in this thread.
"Oh cool, let's see where Ryuden is! Suspended? What for? Oh. Oh. :("

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kenning posted:

Biggest sweethearts in sumo:

Kaisei
Yoshikaze
Kakuryu
Chiyomaru
Aminishiki

Biggest heels (in ring):

Chiyoshoma
Aoiyama
Terunofuji

Biggest heels (out of ring):

Ryuden
Takagenji
Takanoiwa

Anything I'm forgetting?

Chiyotairyu as of this basho, heh

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I live for the Aoiyama grunts, that guttural stoccato barrage that comes for you like a padded jackhammer

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I can’t stand Aoiyama’s extra shoves because these are big dudes and going off the dohyo when you don’t have to is just going to hasten the death of your knees. If you want to throw someone off, do it like the cool guys do and just throw them from well inside the ring out onto some poor old man judge.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

On the good team, I'll always have a soft spot for Enho because any serious pro fighter that agrees to do bits like the Hakuho exhibition match in front of everyone is cool.

https://youtu.be/z_Snp5jaRK4

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 28, 2022

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That was a fun little match.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

After this basho and the documentary posted previously, I'm firmly in favor of putting Itchy in the sweetheart camp.

There are worse sins in-ring than being passive in imminent losses to prevent further back injuries, and the whole Snorlax routine on Twitch is just additional points in his favor IMO.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

In news surprising nobody:

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1552525627810795520?s=20&t=iwXyb5ztBuKiTatJZoT6Fw

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
at least there's a chance that i remember his new name now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also, ex-Kisenosato has taken the Nishonoseki name. Isegahama will have to retire in 3 years, and Terunofuji recently got Japanese citizenship. I bet Teru retires in the next 3 years and then inherits Isegahama. Would be sick to have Miyagino, Nishonoseki, and Isegahama all younger guys with long careers running modern stables. What a dream.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Is Miyagino a high status kabu the way Nishonoseki and Isegahama are though? I thought Miyagino only became known because he happened to get (inherit, right? When Hakuho started it was under a different Miyagino?) star student Hakuho.

Edit: I'm seeing that the 7th Miyagino was the 24th Yokozuna and the 8th Miyagino was the 43rd Yokozuna, so maybe there's more to the legacy than I thought, that was like a hundred years ago though.

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 28, 2022

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i take it the miyagino who was running the heya until very recently retired? is hakuho running it now?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

i take it the miyagino who was running the heya until very recently retired? is hakuho running it now?

I think he's still got a month or something before he officially retires, but they've announced that Hakuho will be taking over both the stable and the name (sometimes it's only one or the other), in practice I imagine he's been teaching the youngsters there at least since he retired and probably for years before that.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brut posted:

I thought Miyagino only became known because he happened to get (inherit, right? When Hakuho started it was under a different Miyagino?) star student Hakuho.

The Miyagino-oyakata that is trading names with Hakuho is the Miyagino-oyakata that recruited him in the first place - ex-Chikubayama. There was a brief kerfuffle in 2004 when former-Kanechika inherited the Miyagino kabu by marrying the daughter of the previous owner of the kabu and being adopted by the previous owner's widow, so Chikubayama became Kumagatani-oyakata and was no longer head coach, but still mentored Hakuho. They swapped names again in 2010 when Kanechika was implicated in match-fixing.

I didn't know this before, but because of this, the NSK changed the rules so that the head coach of a stable can't have a borrowed kabu, they have to actually own it.

From all accounts I've read, Kanechika is a dick. He rarely showed up to training as oyakata and he assaulted his driver with an aluminium baseball bat a few years back.

Anyway, Magaki-formerly-Miyagino is the Miyagino that took the chance of Hakuho in the first place.

Brut posted:

I think he's still got a month or something before he officially retires, but they've announced that Hakuho will be taking over both the stable and the name (sometimes it's only one or the other), in practice I imagine he's been teaching the youngsters there at least since he retired and probably for years before that.

I think most everyone recruited to Miyagino from Ishiura on has been a Hakuho pick. I'm pretty sure Miyagino knows he super lucked out with Hakuho and is grateful for the years of free beer, rice and macarons.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 28, 2022

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh I see! Thank you, that actually makes a lot more sense than what I thought the situation was! I somehow never read the 2004 stuff before.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

He hasn't retired yet but is about to. The former Miyagino, Hakuho''s old boss and mentor turns 65 in August which is the mandatory retirement age. So right now, they are just switching names and jobs so Hakuho is now Miyagino and the stable master and the former Miyagino is now Magaki and a coach in the Miyagino stable.

I'm guessing they did it a little early so that new Magaki can stick around for the transition to make it a little easier (though they've probably been planning and setting up for awhile now).

So in a month, Magaki is supposed to retire, but the JSA can also keep him as a semi-retired consultant for another 3 years. If he takes that option, he'll probably just stick around as a coach under Hak or he can retire and some current wrestler will get the Magaki name.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

tks for the info. i knew kabu and heyas weren't inherently linked so wasn't sure if hakuho was or was going to be the official stablemaster or even if he'd be allowed to yet. since ex rikishi with JSA membership have to start off at the bottom again working security i didn't know if he'd be high ranking enough for his own heya

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

tks for the info. i knew kabu and heyas weren't inherently linked so wasn't sure if hakuho was or was going to be the official stablemaster or even if he'd be allowed to yet. since ex rikishi with JSA membership have to start off at the bottom again working security i didn't know if he'd be high ranking enough for his own heya

There's additional rules if you are trying to open up your own heya like Kise did - you need at least 1 year of experience within the JSA, and 25 sanyaku or 60 Makuuchi basho - but taking over an existing stable is something you can do straight away.

And I think the drama with the old Miyagino isn't possible anymore since kabu ownership stopped being transferrable property and reverts to the association on death/retirement. I think they do tend to take the wishes of the previous stable master into account if possible since it makes sense to allow a guy's hand picked successor to take over if they've been training someone specific for the role, but I guess they could technically veto someone like Kanechika if someone tried to pull some funny business.

So by now, Hak could have gone off and opened up his own stable, if that's what he wanted to. But it seems like he wanted to take over Miyagino, especially if they weren't going to let him open the Hakuho stable so he was just waiting for his boss to leave.

Also, while the new Magaki can stick around as a consultant after 65, he can't hold any important jobs like executive roles or stable master so he would have had to give up the post on his birthday anyways.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Its funny that they had all that hoo-hah about denying Hakuho to keep his shikona as a one generational kabu, when I feel like he'd been planning to become Miyagino-oyakata all along and probably wouldn't have taken it anyway.

(That's just my opinion, not actually based on anything!)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Its funny that they had all that hoo-hah about denying Hakuho to keep his shikona as a one generational kabu, when I feel like he'd been planning to become Miyagino-oyakata all along and probably wouldn't have taken it anyway.

(That's just my opinion, not actually based on anything!)

Yeah, it seems like an "at least give me the chance to turn it down thing". But either way I think he was getting Miyagino. Looking at Takanohana, Taiho and Kitanoumi, they all owned a regular kabu alongside their special one so that when they retired, their stable took the name of their regular kabu. Well, it did for Taiho and Kita anyways.

So if they let him still be Hakuho, they probably do the same thing they just did, with Hak taking the existing wrestlers and infrastructure except the stable would be renamed Hakuho for his career and then revert to Miyagino for the next guy and in the meantime, he could loan out the Miyagino name to someone.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

what are kakuryu, kotoshogiku, and goeido up to as far as recently retired high ranking rikishi go? haven't seen them mentioned in here recently.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Goeido is now Takekuma and opened up his own stable. Only 4 guys, but he has his first Juryo guy already.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=202207&heya=87&shusshin=-1

Kak still doesn't have a permanent kabu yet. Maybe he's waiting for some way to get the Izutzu name.

Haven't heard about Koto, but apparently he's still hanging around at Koto Central. Maybe he just doesn't want to be a stable master or he could have done it already. He can't be waiting for the Sadogatake job since that's going to Kotonowaka unless somethig weird happens.

Edit: Huh, I didn't realize Koto hung around that long. I thought he had retired around the same time as Goeido, not like a whole year later. I guess he does still have time to set something up.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 29, 2022

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Edit: too slow oops

Thauros posted:

what are kakuryu, kotoshogiku, and goeido up to as far as recently retired high ranking rikishi go? haven't seen them mentioned in here recently.

Kakuryu is still hanging out at Michinoku beya, which is where they got folded in to when Izutsu oyakata died, still using his 5 year allowance to keep his fighting name.

Goeido, as Takekuma oyakata split off from Sakaigawa beya this february, taking 3 wrestlers with him, one of them was Gonoyama, who had a successful 8-7 Juryo debut this month. He has since recruited 1 more wrestler, Kanzaki, who is still fighting under his real name, had his debut at SD100 under the Tsukedashi program and is now working his way up Makushita.

Kotoshogiku became Hidenoyama oyakata and is coaching at Sadogatake beya, where he also trained, the stable is large enough to support multiple oyakata without much issue. I don't know if he is interested in running his own heya, but if so he's going to have to split off at some point just as Naruto oyakata (former Kotooshu) did, as staying on in the hopes to take over his current heya would involve overcoming two obstacles, one is that Sadogatake oyakata is about 11 years from retirement age, the other is that the stable might be passed down father to son to the current Kotonowaka, though at 24 year old he might still be wrestling by then.

Keep in mind that Kotooshu retired in March of 2014 and only split off 3 years later.

Brut fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 29, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Goeido recently (this year) opened up his own stable as Takekuma-oyakata. Kotoshogiku is currently Hidenoyama-oyakata, but I haven't heard much about him. Kakuryu is currently Kakuryu-oyakata for up to 5 years after his retirement as yokozuna privilege, and Izutsu is currently being used by ex-Toyonoshima, but I bet Kak would love to acquire it, since he was close to his stablemaster before he died.

Edit: lol

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Koto Central

No idea why, but this made me think of the giant gun the Samurai Pizza Cats launched out of, but with rikishi.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
samurai pizza cats was sick

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are there any recent higher ranked guys who ended their careers without scandals and just peaced out of the sumo world entirely? Even Harumafuji seems to be around with a scandal.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Are there any recent higher ranked guys who ended their careers without scandals and just peaced out of the sumo world entirely? Even Harumafuji seems to be around with a scandal.

Might stretch the definition of recent but Baruto? He went home to be a politician after trying MMA for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Meet Hakuho's newest recruit, entering the banzuke at Ms15:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2021/11/24/sumo/amateur-sumo-all-japan/