Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In short, Condors are cool, thanks for coming to my program

That's rad, thank you for sharing. Can I donate your overtime to the condor rescue foundation? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Machine guns and tanks for cops are good, you see.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Machine guns and tanks for cops are good, you see.

Dogs are small, vicious targets so the cops need both volume of fire and protection, don't you know.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arrath posted:

Dogs are small, vicious targets so the cops need both volume of fire and protection, don't you know.

Also calls for mental health problems are difficult for police to handle, do they need armored vehicles to flatten the building the suspect is in. For officer safety.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/SIfill_/status/1552091348077088768

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So it appears that Schumer et al cracked the Manchin code over the last few days: call it something about inflation and shove Manchin's name on it - Manchin's two favorite topics.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1552394243448217600?t=GIQurcGiHfkkBsIKMo0Rgw&s=19

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1552395509200986112?t=57aBga1ZrfQgELJeVyy6Pw&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also this could be funnier than it appears. McConnell threatened to tank the $52B CHIPS act (which passed out of the Senate today) unless Democrats killed reconciliation. Manchin goes on the radio and explodes reconciliation, declaring zero tax and climate provisions in reconciliation. CHIPS Act passes, and a few hours later, a COVID-addled Manchin, desperate for attention, goes "lol jk let's do this" and we could have reconciliation passed next week.

Details to follow, but, The Democrats!

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

facialimpediment posted:

Also this could be funnier than it appears. McConnell threatened to tank the $52B CHIPS act (which passed out of the Senate today) unless Democrats killed reconciliation. Manchin goes on the radio and explodes reconciliation, declaring zero tax and climate provisions in reconciliation. CHIPS Act passes, and a few hours later, a COVID-addled Manchin, desperate for attention, goes "lol jk let's do this" and we could have reconciliation passed next week.

Details to follow, but, The Democrats!

So ... Manchin McConnelled McConnell?

Too much to hope that the dems learn something from this, I suppose.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Volkova III posted:

Wait until Sinema tanks it because it raises taxes.

Or it can't pass the Senate because the Democratic caucus is old/sick/broken/no proxy voting.

Or the centrist weenies in the House tank it because it doesn't "fix" the State And Local Tax breaks that the Republicans killed.

Edit: yep, pass it, not even a hard call

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1552407283572826114?t=ZClcrLElkuyqMUhnzhEE5Q&s=19

Main thing not here is the $10M rich-gently caress surtax, but gently caress, a corporate minimum tax makes me hard

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 27, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Not getting my hopes up but if they manage it that's one helluva rabbit for Manchin and Biden to pull out of their hat.

Also, hopefully encouraging numbers from Georgia:

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1552375090582589440

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Excuse the repeat posting on this (feel free to continue parkschat), but more developments:

Barely anyone loving knew about this thing. Lobbyists, reporters, staffers, other senators were all like WHAT

Sinema may or may not have been consulted on the carried interest thing, as it's apparently a loophole tightening versus a closing. Weird poo poo here and she's a piece of poo poo, so know knows? It's only going to be like $12B so it'll probably get killed. The Democrats!

The house GOP is hilariously pissed at the Senate for allowing the CHIPS vote in the first place and now they want the squad to help tank it. Only one bill in two years has been passed without McConnell's explicit/implied consent, so lol if Manchin's gonna make it two.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Volkova III posted:

So ... Manchin McConnelled McConnell?

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1552399388940582923

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember “We have seen now two cases that have occurred in children. Both of those children are traced back to individuals who come from the men who have sex with men community — the gay men community”?

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1552424182042038277

Demand a refund.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Remember “We have seen now two cases that have occurred in children. Both of those children are traced back to individuals who come from the men who have sex with men community — the gay men community”?

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1552424182042038277

Demand a refund.

Why? They're sending the message they want to send.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hey if you are in the U.S. and have health insurance, it’s almost the end of the month.

Make sure that you order those eight free at‐home coronavirus tests that they’re required to pay for. They pull the same trick that Biden does with a box of two swabs, cards and reagents that are supposed to be used by one person on two subsequent days counting as two tests, so it’s only four boxes of antigen tests.

They have to reimburse you up to twelve dollars per test if they have a “network of preferred stores, pharmacies, and online retailers at which you can obtain a test with no out-of-pocket expense”.

If your insurer only offers reimbursement, as some unwisely do, the cap doesn’t exist. This means that each month you can reimbursed six-hundred-dollars for eight Lucira tests, for each person on your plan.

This will end whenever the public health emergency is declared over, or I should say “when the public health emergency related to COVID-19 is declared over”, because monkeypox might be getting a PHE declaration of its own.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 28, 2022

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1552437958271451137?s=20&t=_PuiNAGWuNpN68CnKSDYpA

Thought of this very thing when I saw the Inflation Reduction Act being signed by Irish Joe

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
IRA Joe

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

Thought of this very thing when I saw the Inflation Reduction Act being signed by Irish Joe

just came here again to post that and holy loving poo poo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEhC5Uio8do

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know how cops blamed their response to the Uvalde shooter on police reform rhetoric?

Now watch this drive.

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1552145108765511680

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Platystemon posted:

You know how cops blamed their response to the Uvalde shooter on police reform rhetoric?

Now watch this drive.

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1552145108765511680

My lines are CSAM, abuse of kids in general, and abuse of animals. I have no clue how the gently caress the judge thought “boo hoo ACAB means I crave kiddies” was somehow a viable defense. The last case I heard of sent a HS teacher away for 9 years. Jesus loving Christ this gently caress gets less then 6? The rear end in a top hat got 10 months more then the federal minimums.

Just what the gently caress!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tensions rose when donald trump tried to grab bidens hat without consent

I suppose I know already but what is trump's home state supposed to be? good lord irish gaelic phonetics are wild

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Tensions rose when donald trump tried to grab bidens hat without consent

I suppose I know already but what is trump's home state supposed to be? good lord irish gaelic phonetics are wild

Florida.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah I mean what else. At least it's not welsh I say as I rock in the corner

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na5rD4pVq_A

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nystral posted:

My lines are CSAM, abuse of kids in general, and abuse of animals. I have no clue how the gently caress the judge thought “boo hoo ACAB means I crave kiddies” was somehow a viable defense. The last case I heard of sent a HS teacher away for 9 years. Jesus loving Christ this gently caress gets less then 6? The rear end in a top hat got 10 months more then the federal minimums.

I’m simply suprised he didn’t get the min.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
All Cops Are Barelygettingtheminimumrequiredsentences.

And bastards.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Nystral posted:

Tweet didn't really make sense for a number of reasons so I checked the article and it's really misleading.

70 months is what the prosecution was asking for, the probation dept recommended 60, but the Judge told them to gently caress off with the ACAB hurts my feelings excuse. The interesting thing is that a big part of the lower sentence is Long Beach PD tipped him off to the investigation so he deleted most of the evidence, but in a way they couldn't prove it (basically he went and got a new phone and didn't save anything from the old one, secret service style).

Why that's interesting is apparently Long Beach PD did that because they didn't realize he was a cop, seems like a situation where the evidence was weak enough that they just tried to scare him into stopping (basically they just found his phone number associated with an account that uploaded CSAM). The investigation was restarted because they later found the phone number on a law enforcement registry. Of course it was the feds who ended up indicting so who knows if Long Beach PD didn't just make all that poo poo up to cover their collective rear end.

Edit: misread, he didn't pull a secret service with his phone. He reset his phone and deleted everything, but the feds couldn't go for obstruction of justice because Long Beach PD basically told him.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 28, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Make all jokes here:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1552603013663047682?t=6-xniJuy4BKy2mB0doi3-A&s=19

because I've never felt more like cattle when I needed to pay $7 twice just to know my drat seat, can't imagine what it's like in the pandemic-era and now a merged cost-cutting discount megacarrier

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Totally not sponsored buzzfeed article:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rebeccakhera/spirit-airlines-review

quote:

The ongoing rhetoric of Spirit being a "dangerous" airline is simply untrue and high-key classist. Just because it's affordable for a wide range of people, doesn't mean it's cutting corners when it comes to safety.

Notice to you closet bringers and soda sippers, your days are numbered.

quote:

I prefer the term ✨à la carte✨.

You only pay for what you want. No more paying for stale pretzels you won't eat and flat soda you'll only take three sips of. If you don't care where you sit (you're all going to the same place) and don't need to bring your entire closet, then you'll be the one saving the most money.

People just celebrating our race to the bottom. I can't wait for this type of article on a future healthcare system run out of an old pizza hut where a "Nurse" who got certified in Florida after a 40 hour course zoom calls you to prescribe antibiotics.

"Forcing workers to see you in person is low key ableist, remote healthcare is inclusive, pay extra to have a COLD stethoscope on my chest? NO THANKS."

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

Make all jokes here:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1552603013663047682?t=6-xniJuy4BKy2mB0doi3-A&s=19

because I've never felt more like cattle when I needed to pay $7 twice just to know my drat seat, can't imagine what it's like in the pandemic-era and now a merged cost-cutting discount megacarrier

Air travel, in general, has gotten bad.

I refuse to fly on the "budget" airlines, after the fees I pay just as much as another carrier, all for what seems to be ever shrinking leg room.

I have also had horrible experiences with Delta/AA. I don't know what they are doing with the money for tickets, but it isn't going towards operating their airline. Between those two, they have lost my luggage 3 times and cancelled (not delayed) about 50% of my flights with them.

The only thing left is Southwest. They seem to occupy that "budget airline" mark that existed when I was a child, before 9/11. At least they haven't cancelled my flights on me (yet), lost my luggage (yet), and have only had minimal delays (so far).

I keep thinking that the economics of running an airline would allow for a much better experience at the current (or lower even) price points, but execs need those bonuses!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

Totally not sponsored buzzfeed article:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rebeccakhera/spirit-airlines-review

Notice to you closet bringers and soda sippers, your days are numbered.

People just celebrating our race to the bottom. I can't wait for this type of article on a future healthcare system run out of an old pizza hut where a "Nurse" who got certified in Florida after a 40 hour course zoom calls you to prescribe antibiotics.

"Forcing workers to see you in person is low key ableist, remote healthcare is inclusive, pay extra to have a COLD stethoscope on my chest? NO THANKS."

Is that how Dial-a-Doc works? I just figured that they were unqualified phone counsellors that would either tell you that you're not really sick that'll be 75 dollars please, or You need to go to our affiliated clinic that'll be 75 dollars please, or you need to go to the emergency room that'll be 75 dollars please.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Hey if you are in the U.S. and have health insurance, it’s almost the end of the month.

Make sure that you order those eight free at‐home coronavirus tests that they’re required to pay for. They pull the same trick that Biden does with a box of two swabs, cards and reagents that are supposed to be used by one person on two subsequent days counting as two tests, so it’s only four boxes of antigen tests.

They have to reimburse you up to twelve dollars per test if they have a “network of preferred stores, pharmacies, and online retailers at which you can obtain a test with no out-of-pocket expense”.

If your insurer only offers reimbursement, as some unwisely do, the cap doesn’t exist. This means that each month you can reimbursed six-hundred-dollars for eight Lucira tests, for each person on your plan.

This will end whenever the public health emergency is declared over, or I should say “when the public health emergency related to COVID-19 is declared over”, because monkeypox might be getting a PHE declaration of its own.

Any idea how this works with the VA?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

GoGoGadget posted:

Any idea how this works with the VA?

quote:

If you’re enrolled in VA health care, you can request up to 2 free self-test kits at your next primary care appointment or urgent care visit.

We’ll also provide self-test kits to Veterans in other situations, depending on local supplies. For example, we’ll provide self-test kits to Veterans who are currently experiencing homelessness and living in shared community spaces.

Get answers to more questions about COVID-19 testing at VA

Other ways to get free self-test kits
Every home in the U.S. can order free self-test kits (also called at-⁠home tests).

Order your free COVID-19 self-test kits at COVID.gov

If you need help to order your tests, call 800-232-0233 (TTY 888-720-7489).

You can also get more free self-test kits at many local pharmacies. If you have health insurance, your plan may pay you back for tests. Check with your local pharmacies for more information.

Find more about ways to get tests at COVID.gov

That was straight from va.gov (https://www.va.gov/coronavirus-vete...%20appointment.)

"Depending on local supplies" is likely doing some heavy lifting.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Is that how Dial-a-Doc works? I just figured that they were unqualified phone counsellors that would either tell you that you're not really sick that'll be 75 dollars please, or You need to go to our affiliated clinic that'll be 75 dollars please, or you need to go to the emergency room that'll be 75 dollars please.

So I'm guessing it's super YMMV, but I travel a lot for work, and I've set up Teleldoc exams a few times, and it's been pretty good! I've had appts with a couple MD's, a FNP, and a PA, and they are licensed in the state I'm in. It seems like the most common care giver is the semi-retired doc, like I had one that had retired from practicing in NoCo and was doing the Teledoc thing part time., she was very helpful. The caveats are that I'm a white dude, so I don't run into the pushback women and minorities get, and when I call it's for a very specific, very easy to diagnose issue, like i burn myself and need some prescription burn cream. I don't know if i would use it as an urgent care or ER replacement.
Also the future of healthcare is those little private corner ER's. Around my old house they all kind of looked like urgent care clinics, but they billed the same as going to a hospital ER. It's a good time thinking you are paying a $50 urgent care copay, only to find out you are on the hook for $500!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

Air travel, in general, has gotten bad.

I'll be finding out next month! But the apparent thing that's happened is that all of the budget airlines never paid their people poo poo, so they've always been lovely with baggage/ticketing/scheduling because of all the turnover. Delta's main business model was that you'd pay way more to avoid all of those problems, as they charged you more and paid their people better.

Now, the pandemic made all of their long-tenured employees retire/quit and they've had to hire replacements, in a tight labor market, with demand skyrocketing, and greedy CEOs demanding profits profits and better service profits.

So now, Delta et al has gone down to the service level of the budget carriers, without dropping their prices accordingly. Capitalism!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

I'll be finding out next month! But the apparent thing that's happened is that all of the budget airlines never paid their people poo poo, so they've always been lovely with baggage/ticketing/scheduling because of all the turnover. Delta's main business model was that you'd pay way more to avoid all of those problems, as they charged you more and paid their people better.

Now, the pandemic made all of their long-tenured employees retire/quit and they've had to hire replacements, in a tight labor market, with demand skyrocketing, and greedy CEOs demanding profits profits and better service profits.

So now, Delta et al has gone down to the service level of the budget carriers, without dropping their prices accordingly. Capitalism!

I recently flew for a trip. We ended up using Southwest due to price and schedule. So far, we have only had two flights from SW delayed, and they haven't (yet) lost our luggage. I am also noticing that the airport that you fly from and to is more important now. Specific times, at specific locations can be severely impacted.

Our recent delay was for a connecting flight. I wish it was easier to see the routes for each aircraft. I suspect our delayed aircraft came from one of those airports that can't handle the capacity, it would be useful to see that for planning. Maybe it would be worth it to take a flight that is more expensive/crappy time if the odds are better that I don't have issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
My last few Southwest trips were luckily uneventful except for weather delays. We're going to Europe in October on Lufthansa and I'm pumped. Never flown on a non-US airline before. And it's on a 747 which I've always wanted to be on.